So, uh, will the plan to scrap PCR + Hotel Booking see the light of the day on 1st May 2022?

drmal

I'm planning to go to my wife's home this May after reading about the preliminary plan to scrap the PCR test on landing and hotel booking.

Things have been quiet since then. I'm anxious to return but not sure what will happen. I'm not as much worried about 1 night hotel stay, but the extra cost that I need to make in spite of having home there is not making sense.

I'm fully vaccinated including the booster dose.

Thank you for any enlightenment.

• Like 1

nobody knows yet, they will make decision sometimes after songkran.

Just buy airfare and fly, if you really care about your family.

The pcr might be scrapped, but there would be atk - if positive, you also need to be quarantined for 10 days.

The only way avoiding that is recovery certificate, if you can get one

9 minutes ago, drmal said:

In case the test comes out positive, will I be able to quarantine at home? I don't mind home quarantine since I'm going back home anyway.

Presumably not, unless you can walk to your home... or have someone pick you up.

37 minutes ago, drmal said:

In case the test comes out positive, will I be able to quarantine at home? I don't mind home quarantine since I'm going back home anyway.

If you tested positive you would be seen by a doctor for assessment. In the case of mild or no symptoms and depending on your personal circumstances there is a good chance you would be told to isolate at home.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, smutcakes said:

Presumably not, unless you can walk to your home... or have someone pick you up.

unless it's a special taxi, with separation between driver and passenger. Those used to take guests from airport.

Or self-drive in car delivered to hotel by wify. Somebody mentioned he was driven home by wife.

If hospital let you off hook is difficult to guess. Hospitels are supervised by them, they came good income from.

I don't read many stories positives released homes

• Like 1

6 hours ago, drmal said:

We flew in ten days back from Europe and my wife tested +. They said "hospital". We said no way, we are going home. Never heard another word from them and we walked home (sent the bags in a Grab).

• Like 2

5 hours ago, sandyf said:

If you tested positive you would be seen by a doctor for assessment. In the case of mild or no symptoms and depending on your personal circumstances there is a good chance you would be told to isolate at home.

My wife never saw a doctor. We had a 3 minute phone conversation and said we were not letting her go to hospital and that was it. We never heard from them again. For all they know we could be sitting in a bar in Sukhumvit. The hotel said they could arrange a Grab if we wanted but it was less than 2km to our home so we walked, keeping a distance. Communication since then from the doctor or the hospital is zip.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, internationalism said:

nobody knows yet, they will make decision sometimes after songkran.

Just buy airfare and fly, if you really care about your family.

The pcr might be scrapped, but there would be atk - if positive, you also need to be quarantined for 10 days.

The only way avoiding that is recovery certificate, if you can get one

the last part “… The only way avoiding that is recovery certificate, if you can get one.” isn’t exactly accurate.

The fact that a person has a Recovery Certificate (plus proof of their earlier C19+ test) does NOT automatically entitle them to a waiver of quarantine… It will (or should) be used  by the doctors/hospital when deciding what the treatment plan is, but doesn’t entitle the patient to bypass quarantine.. 

15 hours ago, smutcakes said:

My wife has a car and our home is in Thonburi.

Hopefully it doesn't come to testing positive there.

Anyway, I think I will do a test myself before leaving to make sure.

22 hours ago, internationalism said:

unless it's a special taxi, with separation between driver and passenger. Those used to take guests from airport.

Or self-drive in car delivered to hotel by wify. Somebody mentioned he was driven home by wife.

If hospital let you off hook is difficult to guess. Hospitels are supervised by them, they came good income from.

I don't read many stories positives released homes

My niece is a free lance doctor and at the moment mainly dealing with suspected covid patients at a variety of hospitals. She sees hundreds almost every day and they are nearly all being treated as outpatients. Those testing positive are just sent home and told to isolate, very few need admitting.

tourists don have homes, so hospitels.

If resident, you have to convince doctor you can isolate and be able to get there in a secure transport.

For thais the health system pays. Foreigners pay by themselves (partly by insurance), are seen as an easy target by private hospitals (hospitels are also under hospital supervision and share profits). Much depends how busy hospitels and hospitals are. If they are overflowing they would rather let go home.

I have booked a room through the AQ.in.th link from the other thread here, but faced another problem as mentioned here :

That issue aside, suppose the Thai government scrapped the PCR and Hotel booking requirement, by the time I'm arriving (4th May), then I don't need to follow with the said PCR testing and follow the taxi to the hotel, right? (Other than losing the booking cost)

And once you get the Thailand Pass, it doesn't matter if you can go back home if the rules are scrapped and won't conflict with the original program for testing and checking-in to hotel, right?

(Unfortunatley due to my tight schedule I can only make the arrangement to arrive in Thailand for the said date. Otherwise my work commitments will not permit me to go to Thailand for another 6 months.)

if they scrap pcr on arrival, there would be an atk replacement.

So will have to wait at the airport for your result and paperwork. Probably 30-60 minutes, if apply thai working speed and coordination.

But not any details were given yet.

I don't think hotel+pcr refund is likely. The last time, when they cancelled 5th day stay+pcr, hotels were not obliged to refund and they were refusing to do so.

Now looks not likely that change would be approved on 1.05. There would be a delay.

Don't apply on AQ website.

do it proper way on thailandpass.

Because not big chance for a pcr cancellation you can change arrival even to April (if your airline allows no charge change)

Edited by internationalism

Try a few hotels and make it clear that you'll only book with them if they will agree (in writing/via email correspondence) to refund you in full (less whatever agreed upon admin fees) if the entry rules change.   

The government confirmed yesterday the requirement for PCR testing and Hotel Booking will be scrapped from 1st May, as I had anticipated.

Unfortunately I already booked the Hotel + PCR due to time constraints and unpredictability of the rules.

Hoping the hotel can provide the refund. Not holding my breath, though.

(My wife already contacted the hotel, and they told her that refund request can be processed. I already sent the mail to them.)

Edited by drmal

On 4/12/2022 at 6:38 AM, internationalism said:

On 4/12/2022 at 10:58 AM, thailand49 said:

Based on their history currently April 12th, May 1st,  not happening go to plan B?

I know hindsight is great, but when a thread gets bumped like this and you see what was prophesied less than two weeks ago it makes you wonder what you can believe in future threads.

that were exact statements from the government officials - from 1st May entry pcr replaced by atk.

First they wanted to do in the airports, later on realised that BKK won't be able do so and wanted atk to be done at hotels and hospitals still with AQ bookings. This dilemma pushed them to scrap atk. That was not planned in 4 stages program leading to full opening

Edited by internationalism
  • Haha 1