Chinese tourists allegedly trying to drive home drunk attack and injure hotel worker who tried to stop them in Pattaya

webfact

1649786936734-696x392.jpg

By Adam Judd

Pattaya-A 29-year-old hotel worker was injured last night, April 12th, in Pattaya after he reportedly tried to stop a group of drunken Chinese tourists from driving home intoxicated.

The incident took place around 11:30 P.M. at a hotel located near the Dolphin Circle in North Pattaya. The name of the hotel was withheld pending a further investigation.

Join our daily ASEAN NOW Thailand Newsletter - Click to subscribe

The hotel worker, Vegyan Rodyu, 29, suffered wrist injuries in an altercation with two Chinese tourists. He was given medical assistance at the scene.

The altercation took place when four Chinese tourists entered into an argument with the hotel worker, allegedly over their intoxicated state and ability to drive.

Full story: https://thepattayanews.com/2022/04/13/chinese-tourists-allegedly-trying-to-drive-home-drunk-attack-and-injure-hotel-worker-who-tried-to-stop-them-in-pattaya/

PattayaNews.jpg

-- © Copyright The Pattaya News 2022-04-13

- Aetna offers a range of visa-compliant plans that meet the minimum requirement of medical treatment, including COVID-19, up to THB 3m. For more information on all expat health insurance plans click here.

• Sad 8

5 hours ago, Will B Good said:

You don't have to actually drive in the UK to be charged with DUI.......intent is sufficient......obviously very different here I imagine.

Wow. That's a slippery slope.

Is opening your car to get a phone to call a taxi enough to trigger it? Getting into your car to sleep it off? Who makes such judgments? Trained psychologists on the scene? I bet not . 

4 hours ago, RocketDog said:

Is opening your car to get a phone to call a taxi enough to trigger it? Getting into your car to sleep it off? Who makes such judgments? Trained psychologists on the scene? I bet not . 

Few instances where people have been parked up, sat at the wheel....convicted.

1 hour ago, Will B Good said:

Yes, but the engine has been running, parked up against a tree, and the driver asleep at the wheel.  ???? 

• Haha 1

10 hours ago, RocketDog said:

Yes People in the UK have been done for  Drunk in charge of a vehicle when sleeping it off in the car since they are technically in charge of the vehicle especially if they are sleeping in the driver's seat and yes opening the car door signals intent if you open the driver's side. The courts always back the police up on this.

• Sad 1

10 hours ago, Will B Good said:

And the nanny state closes inexorably in to smother us. The next obvious step is to put alcohol breath sensors in every car. Bicycles, walkers, strollers next?

It's just a woeful trend that bodes ill for the future of liberty.

Thankfully I'll be gone before it gets too bad.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Xavnel said:

In the USA , I was in a class once, the instructor was a cop, so I asked him:
"if I was at a bar, and instead of driving home, I slept in my car, would I still get a DUI?"
His reply:
"If I can find your keys, then you are capable of operating the vehicle, and yes, you would get a DUI. But, if I cannot find your keys, then you are not physically capable of operating the vehicle. Tell you what, hide your keys in the wheel-well of your tire, no cop is ever going to look for them there,  then just tell the cop you left your keys with the bartender."

OMG. Well, the answer is clear.

If you find yourself in that situation then just set your car on fire. Wait, you'd get arrested for that too.

Put the keys in your underwear? Nope, we how that would turn out. You'd be arrested for a concealed weapon or just molested.

Sigh..........

4 hours ago, RocketDog said:

And the nanny state closes inexorably in to smother us. The next obvious step is to put alcohol breath sensors in every car. Bicycles, walkers, strollers next?

I would make breathalyzers compulsory in all vehicles that can kill innocent people because the drivers are so selfish/stupid/ignorant/dumb as a rock*

* take your pick.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, RocketDog said:

A car in the hands of a drunk driver is essentially a lethal weapon that can kill more than one person including children. What you are saying is that police and army should also be allowed to get drunk on duty they also manage lethal weapons and if they 'accidentally' kill a number of people whilst drunk it's not a problem. Strangely enough in the 1920s in the UK being drunk was a valid defence against criminal prosecution for damage or death of others whilst driving, perhaps you would prefer we reverted to that?

4 hours ago, Will B Good said:

I would make breathalyzers compulsory in all vehicles that can kill innocent people because the drivers are so selfish/stupid/ignorant/dumb as a rock*

* take your pick.

*all of the above

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, RobU said:

A car in the hands of a drunk driver is essentially a lethal weapon that can kill more than one person including children. What you are saying is that police and army should also be allowed to get drunk on duty they also manage lethal weapons and if they 'accidentally' kill a number of people whilst drunk it's not a problem. Strangely enough in the 1920s in the UK being drunk was a valid defence against criminal prosecution for damage or death of others whilst driving, perhaps you would prefer we reverted to that?

It is and will always be a tradeoff between personal freedom and social responsibility. I won't play the 'what about' game.