Shipping item to Thailand and customs/import duties

brian2322

Someone will be sending me a secondhand laptop from the US to Thailand.  They spoke to DHL and were told they are unable to prepay any customs/import duties.  My main concern is any delay in receiving the item, it is time sensitive.  

1.) Where will I pay the customs fees?  Can I pay at the local DHL office, or will the laptop be held in some other location?  I'm in Pattaya.  

2.) Is it *ever* possible to pay these fees up front?  I know when I order off of Amazon they charge me customs fees and everything seems to be prepaid and the item arrives at my condo with no further action for me.  This is the flow I was hoping for with the laptop.  

3.) Would things go smoother using FedEx?

Any suggestions to speed/smooth the process are appreciated.  

TIA

10 minutes ago, CharlieH said:

In my experience DHL will contact you and you pay them their extortion money and then they deliver it to you.

Thanks.  So if I have to go to pay them, I guess I should just have it delivered to their office rather than my condo so I can pick it up when I pay?  

12 minutes ago, brian2322 said:

Thanks.  So if I have to go to pay them, I guess I should just have it delivered to their office rather than my condo so I can pick it up when I pay?  

No, they will contact you, pay with your card then they deliver it to your door.

• Like 1

Time sensitive?   So it is something you need!   Shipping it here you will be at their mercy it is the same with FedEx,  they have no control once in Thailand it is all custom they will scan or open it then decide it might go smoothly and reasonable or a nightmare. ????

I am given to understand that DHL and Customs have a deal, whereby everything is taxed at 30% regardless of tarrifs, etc., then they add handling etc.

I call it VAT = Vague Additions to the Total!

I never use DHL unless there is no choice.

• Thanks 1

Tariffs depend on the type of goods imported and there nominal value including shipping and insurance. Handling fees added can be quite high when sent by regular mail or EMS, but should be included with FedEx or DHL shipping fees. You also need to pay 7% VAT.

As others said, DHL or FedEx should call you, but I would suggest you check your tracking number regularly and call them once your item is in Thailand. Make sure the sender gets your details right including phone number as dialed from within Thailand.

Tariffs are published in the Internet and applied accordingly, but you must make sure to describe goods accurately. In your case "laptop", for which there is 0 import duty to Thailand, so you will need to pay 7% VAT only. If you pack other items into the shipment declare them accurately, their tariffs might differ.

• Like 1

All I can say is that (apart from ripping open my mail) DHL added 70gbp to a 30gbp item covering customs and their fees so I returned to sender and successfully reclaimed my original MasterCard payment. Subsequently I located the support stockings I needed through Fascino for 30gbp- 1200bht. Wouldn't fancy your chances of persuading DHL/Thai Customs that your laptop is second hand!

• Like 1

True using my Thai name is easier. Amazon UK include taxes and duties normally and refund if less amount charged. Try have item no more than B1,500. Yes had to pay duties by DHL for beauty items. Found UPS worse than DHL . Items from UK I experienced easier than USA!

14 hours ago, BMW Overlander said:

UPS, DHL, FEDEX....they all have in-house customs.

Just received a car part by UPS sent from the UK and paid customs when the item was delivered to my door.

When ordering from the USA, I ask the sender to ship goods by USPS priority international. Never paid a single cent of import duty. Most recently received motorcycle exhaust set worth THB 70,000, no customs charges.

How much was the USPS cost?

On 4/13/2022 at 9:32 AM, brian2322 said:

It will be kept at customs an suvarnabhumi airport until you pay, so unless you want to go there to pick it you have to transfer them the money and then they deliver it to you the next day or so.

Edited by FriendlyFarang

To follow up for posterity, I ended up using DHL.  Once I received the tracking number, I signed up for shipment notifications with my phone and email address.  When the package arrived in Bangkok, I received a link with the customs fees which were about 10% of the declared value, so it's possible they increased the declared value and that was 7% of their calculation.  I didn't receive any breakdown of the calculation, just a flat fee I needed to pay.

I used the link and paid the fee, and the package was delivered the same day to my condo.

I think as @BMW Overlander mentioned, DHL has in-house customs, which I think did help smooth the process.  The duties weren't too outrageous either.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, brian2322 said:

To follow up for posterity, I ended up using DHL.  Once I received the tracking number, I signed up for shipment notifications with my phone and email address.  When the package arrived in Bangkok, I received a link with the customs fees which were about 10% of the declared value, so it's possible they increased the declared value and that was 7% of their calculation.  I didn't receive any breakdown of the calculation, just a flat fee I needed to pay.

I used the link and paid the fee, and the package was delivered the same day to my condo.

I think as @BMW Overlander mentioned, DHL has in-house customs, which I think did help smooth the process.  The duties weren't too outrageous either.

How much?

If it's really time-sensitive, you are in for some extortion.

But if time is on your side, you send it through a shipper in the U.S. I buy at Amazon.com and have it shipped to a Thai Freight forwarder, called Shop and Ship US, located in Glendale, a suburb of Los Angeles. They send it to Thailand and they are not taxed by the Thai Royal Customs. Once arrived at Suvarnabhumi Airport, I receive packs within 2-3 days in upper Surin province.

• Like 1