1 Million Foreign Arrivals Expected at AOT Airports This Songkran

webfact

6 hours ago, BKKTRAVELER said:

So the 1 million figure should clearly be domestic and foreign tourism combined. The title is very misleading. It's still not a bad numbers of foreign flights though, all things considered.

Yes, a very misleading headline.  We have no idea how many foreign tourists are 'expected' as the 1 million figure is not broken down by foreign and domestic totals.  Since an earlier prediction had less than 400,000 foreign visitors for the entire second quarter, it's probably safe to say a large majority of the 1 million are Thai travelers.

I predict complete gridlock in Bangkok tomorrow with 1 million tourists renting cars to avoid the torrential rain I forecast to fall from the heavens with golfball sized hail......

Who thinks my predictions are better than TATs.  Well my pet iguana does....

• Like 1

11 hours ago, newnative said:

Yes, a very misleading headline.  We have no idea how many foreign tourists are 'expected' as the 1 million figure is not broken down by foreign and domestic totals.  Since an earlier prediction had less than 400,000 foreign visitors for the entire second quarter, it's probably safe to say a large majority of the 1 million are Thai travelers.

It does say overseas arrival!

1 hour ago, dallen52 said:

It does say overseas arrival!

No, it doesn't.  Show me in the article where it says AOT expects 1 million foreign arrivals for Songkran.  The headline says this but not the article--which is why I said the headline is very misleading.  

21 hours ago, webfact said:

while international flights should total 2,490

So nearly 250 "international" flights per day.

Even counting cargo flights this figure might not reach 50 per day.

Time to stop teaching math "tricks" in thai schools, and teach basic arithmetic.

19 minutes ago, newnative said:

No, it doesn't.  Show me in the article where it says AOT expects 1 million foreign arrivals for Songkran.  The headline says this but not the article--which is why I said the headline is very misleading.  

Unfortunately as right as you are, even statements made by this Government and TAT are misleading.

• Like 1

I hope there is a follow up at the end of Songkran,  so we all ge4t to know just how many people

flew into Thailand for the Great Songkran event of 2022.  10 thousand? Maybe if even that much.  

Fantastic forecast, but reality and fantasy are different.

• Like 1

Okay, so it is April 18 today as I am writing this and Songkran is officially over.

May I therefore follow up on AOT Director Nitinai Sirismatthakarn's enthusiastic announcement:

So, Mr. Nitinai... where WERE those 1 million foreign arrivals? I surely didn't see any large increase in foreign visitor numbers in Bangkok or Phuket, where I spent a few days over the holiday. A sudden influx of 1 million foreign tourists over a short 7-day period should have been noticeable, right? What I DID see was a few crowds of local vacationers, though...