Some Resorts are starting to sell out for the Songkran break

webfact

4 hours ago, webfact said:

The mighty Centara Grand Mirage Resort Pattaya with over six hundred rooms is sold out according to Agoda.com. There an average room during Songkran was shown at THB8,013 yet a week later it had dropped to THB3,852.

Usual gouging, but it seems some are earning enough to not mind.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, webfact said:

Police leave has been canceled as they try to stop the madness on the roads at a time when it is the most dangerous time to drive. 

I tried to visit friends forty minutes away and gave up after an hour of going nowhere on the building site AKA Sukhumvit out of Pattaya.

• Like 2

On Tuesday 12, the day before Songkran commenced, I drove from North Bangkok to Nongkhai, there was very little traffic, in fact probably less than what I would consider normal. I was very surprised, I left at 10am and arrived in NK around 8.30pm, with breaks on the way? I did not expect this I was expecting to layover in Khon Kaen but it was not necessary.

When the hotel owners have cheap rates for low season i see no reason to put the prices up to at least get some income for when the rooms are empty.

As for me i like to go a week before songkran and travel back the day before songkran. 

Hotel prices went up from 3000 baht a night on the 12th to 4500 baht a night and prefer to be home for songkran with the car safely parked up and a few drinks with the extended family.

25 minutes ago, mikebell said:

I tried to visit friends forty minutes away and gave up after an hour of going nowhere on the building site AKA Sukhumvit out of Pattaya.

South or Northbound, or both?

Rates are always up for Songkran.  Good hotels like the Marriott or Hilton Hua Hin were booked solid a month ago.

The government's subsidy (40%) is the main reason.

I can't wait for that to end.

Prices will stabalize.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, webfact said:

Although hotels have upped their rates significantly, travellers are willing to pay these soaring prices. I suppose you cannot blame the hospitality industry for trying.

Funny. Because it will be exactly these same hotels which in a week's time will be woefully empty again and drop their prices by 70% or more, moaning endlessly how dismal business is.

And of course you can blame the hospitality industry for their rollercoaster pricing strategy. There is absolutely no reason why the same hotel room should cost 8,000+ baht today and only 3,000+ next week. it's the same room, the same overhead.

Just imagine you went to a restaurant during a public holiday that asks 1,500 baht for the same set meal for which you had only paid 499 baht two days earlier. Would you feel cheated? I would.

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

On 4/14/2022 at 8:45 AM, jacko45k said:

South or Northbound, or both?

I was going to Bang Sare, so Southbound; I used Rot Fai to its end.  I joined Suk & slowly got to new motorway just before Ban Amphur then nothing moved.

On 4/14/2022 at 8:47 AM, Henryford said:

I went to Koh Chang last week and the 2 hotels i stayed in were almost empty. I would never travel during Songkran week.

Same for me i left last week joint was deserted also stayed i  2 hotels almost completely empty.

On 4/14/2022 at 11:22 AM, Misterwhisper said:

Funny. Because it will be exactly these same hotels which in a week's time will be woefully empty again and drop their prices by 70% or more, moaning endlessly how dismal business is.

And of course you can blame the hospitality industry for their rollercoaster pricing strategy. There is absolutely no reason why the same hotel room should cost 8,000+ baht today and only 3,000+ next week. it's the same room, the same overhead.

Just imagine you went to a restaurant during a public holiday that asks 1,500 baht for the same set meal for which you had only paid 499 baht two days earlier. Would you feel cheated? I would.

Which part of ‘supply and demand' do you struggle to understand? Or that it applies to most things from air fares to oil and gas ? ???? 

4 hours ago, mikebell said:

I was going to Bang Sare, so Southbound; I used Rot Fai to its end.  I joined Suk & slowly got to new motorway just before Ban Amphur then nothing moved.

Yes I was going to suggest the Railway Line Bypass..... Sukhumvit is slow going normal times.

"The mighty Centara Grand Mirage Resort Pattaya with over six hundred rooms is sold out according to Agoda.com"

Never believe this!It is the oldest trick used by OTA's since time began....it says this because the hotel has taken "off sales" and is selling direct... or Agoda switch sell which again is the oldest trick these people play..

That said our area had its best ever season so far.. Good Morning!

• Like 1

3 hours ago, hashmodha said:

"The mighty Centara Grand Mirage Resort Pattaya with over six hundred rooms is sold out according to Agoda.com"

Never believe this!It is the oldest trick used by OTA's since time began....it says this because the hotel has taken "off sales" and is selling direct... or Agoda switch sell which again is the oldest trick these people play..

That said our area had its best ever season so far.. Good Morning!

Exactly. Completely garbage story. What poor reporting. Hotels do not have the staff to cope with that spike anyway right now. After this mini break, everyone will go back to life support.

• Like 1

IMG_20220416_092849.thumb.jpg.3f6cad31c7e3209c23d943d61c94f458.jpgIMG_20220416_092243.thumb.jpg.13c45fe055108ea0762e4b271eed6d5e.jpg

On 4/14/2022 at 8:20 AM, newnative said:

The Pattaya Beach hotels seem to be doing very well and it was nice to see lots of people on the beach yesterday late afternoon and into the evening.

Lots of day visitors along the beach especially the pickup crowd. But the North end is not that busy at all.  Dusit Thani, Ozo are very unoccupied compared to months ago.  So the middle upper classes are not in the North end at all.  Maybe staying in a 5 star and looking at this sh*tshow of a never ending jetty project has something to do with it: