Shooter in custody after "win" empties his gun into motorcycle taxi driver friend

webfact

1pm1.jpg

Thai Rath video screenshot

A motorcycle taxi driver in the Prachacheun area of northern Bangkok has surrendered to police after a brazen shooting incident of a colleague.

A CCTV video showed Chatchai Sukjaidee, 53, #40 on the rank, going down Soi Sarmsuk in the Bang Sue area.

Sompong or "Khiad", 44, called him back then a conversation ensued.

Thai Rath said that the pair were trying to resolve months of conflict of the former friends. 

They both acknowledged they needed to sort out their difficulties. But Sompong was not about to engage in diplomacy.

He took a step back from the older man then unloaded a .22 gun emptying six shots into Chatchai who managed to get off his bike but soon died. 

Sompong raced off on his bike - to his mother's in Sai Mai.

She later took him to the police station where he was interviewed around midday yesterday.

Relatives of the victim threatened to storm the police station at one point. 

Join our daily ASEAN NOW Thailand Newsletter - Click to subscribe

Met chief Lt-Gen Samran Nuanma went to Prachacheun police station telling the press that the suspect had admitted the crime.

He said that the pair were not hoodlums, just ordinary guys who had had a five month feud.

They were originally friends and involved together in the cock fighting trade. 

Chatchai bought the gun for 7,000 baht and always wore it about his person.

He has been charged with murder and gun offences. 

Aetna Platinum+ Light on premium, great on coverage

asean_now_BB.jpg

-- © Copyright  ASEAN NOW 2022-04-14

- Aetna offers a range of visa-compliant plans that meet the minimum requirement of medical treatment, including COVID-19, up to THB 3m. For more information on all expat health insurance plans click here.

Get your business in front of millions of customers who read ASEAN NOW with an interest in Thailand every month - email [email protected] for more information
  • Sad 4

1 hour ago, webfact said:

Yeah, at least he is right, when he admit that he is not a hoodlum. ???? A little fragile boy with a gun.

Edited by Gottfrid
  • Like 1

"... Sompong was not about to engage in diplomacy. He took a step back from the older man then unloaded a .22 gun emptying six shots into Chatchai who managed to get off his bike but soon died."
"Chatchai bought the gun for 7,000 baht and always wore it about his person. He has been charged with murder and gun offences." (emphasis added)

That's a first! The dead guy is charged with murder.
I guess there's no need to remind you where this story is coming from in order to reduce the surprise....

• Haha 1

I can't even describe my relief after hearing from the kind officer that these were not hoodlums. Now we can all be at peace using taxis. I shudder to think what the outcome would have been if these weren't friends, but actual hoodlums!

• Haha 2

6 hours ago, webfact said:

6 hours ago, webfact said:

He said that the pair were not hoodlums, just ordinary guys who had had a five month feud.

Amazing Thailand.

5 hours ago, worgeordie said:

That's the first place police should always check ..........???? mummy I have

done something very bad , don't let them take me away

regards Worgeorgdie

Never mind son, have some rice and we'll sort this out later.

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, BangkokReady said:

Just ordinary guys.  Ordinary guys involved in a violent sport linked to illegal gambling, who carry guns, and solve their problems by murdering people.  Just ordinary Thai guys... ????

Actually if you think about it carefully it might just be nearer the truth than fiction.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Will B Good said:

Legal as long as their spurs are taped up and no cocks die???? Go figure.

I imagine in reality it goes on all the time with spurs and to the death.

I prefer watching two hens fight... does that make me a bad man?

• Haha 1

the distance from sane rational behaviour is a very short distance. We can go from sane/rational to insane/irrational very, very quickly given the right sequence of circumstances. 

Edited by Tropposurfer

9 hours ago, webfact said:

First place to look for adult Thai males after any conflicts are legal scaflaws.

Usually under a bed or in the closet.

If this doesn’t warrant use of the death penalty then they should just do away with it. Murder such as this where there is 100% proof of what happened should always result in the death penalty.  I watched the video clip of this which is disturbing and sickening. The shooter empties his gun at point blank range into the victim then calmly strolls to his motorbike and rides to his mother’s house. But unfortunately, he’ll wai and grovel, get a life sentence, and be out in 5 years to kill again when he feels someone has crossed him.

• Sad 1

Thai men tend to be hot headed and easy access to guns makes the situation dangerous, especially when they drink. Sad that they just don't have the ability to talk things through.