113 people die on Thai roads in first 3 days of Thailand’s Songkran festival

snoop1130

EC8CAE82-A7D4-43AC-BDDE-56029A783100.jpeg

113 people have died and 853 others have been injured in 869 road accidents since Monday, during the first three days of this year’s Songkran festival, according to the Department of Public Disasters Prevention and Mitigation.

30.51% of the accidents involved drunk driving and 30.21% involved speeding. Motorcycles were involved in 81.36% of the accidents, 7.10% involved pickup trucks.

Keep up to date with all things Thailand - Join our daily ASEAN NOW Thailand Newsletter - Click to subscribe

38.97% of the accidents took place on the country’s highways and 35.95% on secondary roads in villages and areas under the jurisdiction of Tambon (sub-district) Administration Organizations.

Full Story: https://www.thaipbsworld.com/113-people-die-on-thai-roads-in-first-3-days-of-thailands-songkran-festival/

Logo-top-.png

-- © Copyright Thai PBS 2022-04-14

- Cigna offers a range of visa-compliant plans that meet the minimum requirement of medical treatment, including COVID-19, up to THB 3m. For more information on all expat health insurance plans click here.

8 hours ago, IAMHERE said:

I believe the numbers well enough but don't know if they are over or under the average. If I were guessing I'd say a bit under.

Under average. 113 in two days would be a pre Covid normal number.

6 hours ago, GreasyFingers said:

Remember when posters here were saying Covid deaths were nothing compared to Thai road deaths.

The difference is, that road death is road death (on the spot).

Covid death? As far as I remember WHO rule: every person dying within 30 days after being tested positive is a Covid death.

Every positive tested dying in hospital is a Covid death.

Think about it.

• Like 1

The breakdown with these percentages are interesting and shows where drivers education is needed most, but why pickup trucks.

I have a suggestion for the Thai government and RTP. Road signs are a good reminder when driving. Simple phrases like Buckle Up for Safety and have a graphics of a set belt. And Don't Drink and Drive you could loose you license have a graphic of a torn drives license. You might be surprised how these subluminal work.