Can I exit Thailand with one year extension in old passport?

Hi,

I am in Thailand at the moment and I have just gotten a new passport from my consulate. My one year marriage visa extension is in the old passport.

The visa extension and the old passport expire on the same day next month. My plan is to exit Thailand before they expire.

Question is at the airport, can I get stamped out with visa in old passport? Or must I go to Chaengwattana and transfer the visa extension to the new passport before I exit?

Thanks in advance

Edited by spinshock

Many countries would physically cancel the old passport by cutting corners, hole-punching or stamping it as cancelled.  If this is not the case for you then immigration will have no idea the old passport is cancelled/replaced when you depart and will just stamp you out, just don't show them the new passport.

If you return you will of course have to re-start the visa/extension process but that would be the case anyway even if you transferred your current extension, unless you managed to renew it before you exit. 

3 hours ago, Upnotover said:

Many countries would physically cancel the old passport by cutting corners, hole-punching or stamping it as cancelled.  If this is not the case for you then immigration will have no idea the old passport is cancelled/replaced when you depart and will just stamp you out, just don't show them the new passport.

If you return you will of course have to re-start the visa/extension process but that would be the case anyway even if you transferred your current extension, unless you managed to renew it before you exit. 

The old passport has the corners cut and holes punched, will this be a problem?

3 hours ago, MajorTom said:

Yes, no problem. Unless you plan to renew the extension?

I have thought about renewing the extension before I leave. But not sure I have enough time. Do you remember how long the consideration period is? Between application and receiving the extension.

Immigration at the airport will transfer the necessary stamps from your old passport to your new passport and then stamp you out as normal. This takes some time, and you should arrive early at the airport to allow for this.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, spinshock said:

I have thought about renewing the extension before I leave. But not sure I have enough time. Do you remember how long the consideration period is? Between application and receiving the extension.

About 1 month. But you can do it up until the last day.

9 hours ago, BritTim said:

Immigration at the airport will transfer the necessary stamps from your old passport to your new passport and then stamp you out as normal. This takes some time, and you should arrive early at the airport to allow for this.

When I did this they actually just put the departure stamp in my cancelled passport.

I did not have any visa or re-entry permit to worry about.

This was some years ago before they actually destroyed the passports by cutting corners or holes.. It was just stamped "Passport Cancelled" on the first page.

3 hours ago, MajorTom said:

When I did this they actually just put the departure stamp in my cancelled passport.

I did not have any visa or re-entry permit to worry about.

This was some years ago before they actually destroyed the passports by cutting corners or holes.. It was just stamped "Passport Cancelled" on the first page.

It seems immigration did not notice that it was a cancelled passport.

I have left Thailand with a blank new passport three times over the last 20 years or so. On each occasion, Immigration has done stamp transfer to the new passport before stamping me out. On one occasion (at Suvarnabhumi) I asked for a re-entry permit also, which was duly placed in the new passport.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Photoguy21 said:
14 hours ago, spinshock said:

18 minutes ago, Photoguy21 said:

Yes it will be as this indicates the passport is no longer valid

Cancelling a passport does not cancel any visas etc. within it. If the O/P exits without a renewal, he will get the usual exit stamp in his old passport and then travel, quite legitimately using his new passport.

1 hour ago, BritTim said:

It seems immigration did not notice that it was a cancelled passport.

That's possible. Or maybe its optional. This was at the Chiang Khong - Huay Xai border. Probably does not happen every day there.. I can't remember if I showed them the new passport. I was traveling by motorcycle which also requires stamps and paperwork.

This turned into a bit of an odd situation actually. When I arrived at the Lao side, I tried to use the new passport. But they asked for an exit stamp from Thailand. I showed the old passport and told them it was cancelled. They still insisted on sticking the Visa in the old passport.. Exact same situation happened later when i crossed from Lao into Cambodia. Visa in the cancelled passport.

It wasn't before I came back to Thailand at Poipet-Aranyaprathet I managed to switch to the new passport.

2 hours ago, Photoguy21 said:
2 hours ago, Moonlover said:

Cancelling a passport does not cancel any visas etc. within it. If the O/P exits without a renewal, he will get the usual exit stamp in his old passport and then travel, quite legitimately using his new passport.

Once the Passport is invalid so is everything in it

When I went down to VFS a few years to collect my new passport, my old one was cancelled. So by your reckoning, that means that my latest extension had also been cancelled. 

Clearly that wasn't the case, because immigration duly transferred the details of my extension to my new passport. And if my extension was still valid, it stands to reason that the O/P's will be also.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, spinshock said:

Of course--it is now CANCELLED, and can never be used again. Your new passport is your only travelling document now, but if you do not get your Marriage visa/extension transferred into the new passport, then the old passport can be shown as proof of when you arrived in Thailand (as your TM6 is tied to that passport and they'll stamp you out on the new passport), but as someone else mentioned if you come back to Thailand, then you will need to start the Non-O nonsense from scratch again.

• Like 1

Once the Passport is invalid so is everything in it

Incorrect...A new passport does not invalidate any valid visa/extension for another country. ie: UK passport with valid Thai visa. The sensible thing is too transfer the valid visa/extension as soon as possible into the new passport.

• Like 2

46 minutes ago, Photoguy21 said:

Not according to the UK passport office and immigration

which controls only a portion of all the passports in the world, and regulates only what UK officers do within the borders of UK.

Edited by tgw

12 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

I assume you have a re-entry permit in your old passport. If not you need to get one before leaving or your extension will end as soon as you leave the country.

I don’t have re-entry permit. The extension expires on the same day as passport expiry. Do you think it is better to apply for another year extension before I leave. Or just return later with new passport and apply new ? 

As a general rule, leaving a country is not a problem with a cancelled passport unless the country has strict control policies about people's movement out of the country which Thailand does not have (unlike China or N Korea may be a few other countries). A valid passport is meant to be for entry only for most countries.

A per visa and permission of stay, that  most likely to expire after one exits the country unless transferred to the new passport. 

2 hours ago, spinshock said:

I don’t have re-entry permit. The extension expires on the same day as passport expiry. Do you think it is better to apply for another year extension before I leave. Or just return later with new passport and apply new ? 

Ideally, have stamps transferred to the new passport, and apply for a further one-year permission to stay before leaving. Starting from scratch is certainly possible, but can involve some additional costs. For instance, if you decide to return visa exempt, you will probably have to factor in throwaway onward flight costs, and there is a small chance you could even be denied entry.

i think if you try to leave they will send you to another stand and will transfer your visa then you can leave.

this action is for security and avoid criminal acts or likewise. it is not safe for the immigration just let you go with the new passport without showing your last visa.

people who did that is just luck. thats all. although i cannot believe immigration didnt see the CANCELLED on the first page. 

12 hours ago, spinshock said:

Applying for a new extension before leavening would be the best option.

After doing the application you could get a single re-entry permit for the remainder of your extension and the under consideration period. It would be valid to the report back date on the under consideration stamp.

Or you could go to immigration and get a single re-entry permit valid up to the day your extension ends after having your stamps transferred.

Starting over again would not be a good option since you have to have a new non-o visa entry to apply for a new extension.

• Like 1

On 4/15/2022 at 7:06 PM, MajorTom said:

Yes, no problem. Unless you plan to renew the extension?

Travelling on an almost expired passport is dodgy?

Get the visa transferred to the new Passport and don't push your luck

• Like 1

2 hours ago, hotchilli said:

Travelling on an almost expired passport is dodgy?

Get the visa transferred to the new Passport and don't push your luck

OP will not have any problems leaving Thailand, whatever passport he or immigration decides to use. They will either stamp departure in the old passport like they did in my case, or they will transfer the stamps there and then to the new one.

As for traveling on an almost expired passport: Its not only dodgy, but impossible to many countries. That's not a problem in this case. He already got a new passport.