Stay longer after work permit cancellation, help

Hello everyone. I have a problem. I came to Thailand to work in a company here and it turns out that I want to leave my job for various reasons. I am already working here for 5 months. I would like to spend more time in Thailand as a tourist for a month or maybe a year studying Thai. The problem I have is that I believe that if I leave my job I only have between 1-7 days to leave the country. Is it necessary to leave Thailand to extend my stay here or is there any way to avoid this? Would I have to repurchase travel insurance, Thailand Pass, Hotel ASQ and everything again? Where should I go to get a visa? Is there an agency that can get me everything I need to stay here longer? The truth is that I am really lost and I need help, because I did not expect this situation and I do not know how to act. Thank you

• Like 1

- find a new job ?

-extension for retirement or marriage ? (must be at least age 50 for the former, and there are financial requirements for both)

- extension for Education, if enrolled in an approved course/institution

- i am presuming you don't have a Thai child, or would have mentioned that.

Edited by allane
x
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, allane said:

- find a new job ?

-extension for retirement or marriage ? (must be at least age 50 for the former, and there are financial requirements for both)

- extension for Education, if enrolled in an approved course/institution

- i am presuming you don't have a Thai child, or would have mentioned that.

Im 36 years old, no marriage no kids. I just want to find the easiest way to stay here longer to enjoy the country and my free time.

Thats why i want to know which visa i can get easily for this and dont need to leave Thailand, or how can i do it without heachaches coz im very lost about these things. I thought i could apply for a tourist visa or student visa without leaving the country and do all the paperworks again.

Student visa is a big option I have in my head, im interested in a lot.

Currently living in CM

You have to marry with Thai lady if you want to stay long time in Thailand. You can't apply for an extension based upon on retirement as you are less than 50. Student visa could be an option for one year living here

35 minutes ago, Jack1988 said:

You have to marry with Thai lady if you want to stay long time in Thailand. You can't apply for an extension based upon on retirement as you are less than 50. Student visa could be an option for one year living here

Sidenote I met a dude in CM that said he "bought" a ED visa for 30k but doesnt go to classes

Of course my opinion is cash is king in LOS....

This is a minefield: as far as I know, if you leave your employment, you are supposed to cancel your work permit with the Ministry of Labour AND inform Immigration both, within 24 hrs. While some do not bother to do this, you are theoretically in breach of your permission to stay, which could cause you problems if you want another WP in the future. It's unlikely you will be stopped leaving the country, because Immigration doesn't know or care what goes on at the MoL. If you do manage to do what is required at the MoL, at the Immigration Dept, you will be give seven days to leave the country. 

I've never heard of any way round this, so your best option may be to make arrangements to go to Phnom Pen or other regional city, get a TV and return, then make arrangements to get a study or volunteer visa.

i suggest you to find a new work.

yes, you need to cancel your non-b visa after ending your work. and yes, you will have max 7 days to leave the country after cancelling your non-b visa.

how to stay longer... basically there is no way if you have no job. Well, you dont have a thai wife.. and note 50 yrs old.

another option is ED visa. But what then? are you planning to stay for long time? or just for fun? you need to decide this. then act as needed.

thailand is not a FREE ENTRY and LIVE country. people need to understand this. asking how can i stay longer is a funny question. the answer is obvious: find something to get the right visa or the reason to stay.

if you are going to stay here longer, find a job its the best way. then find a lady you really love and trust and want to marry.. then the rest is yours.

good luck

Edited by problemfarang
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Sticky Rice Balls said:

Sidenote I met a dude in CM that said he "bought" a ED visa for 30k but doesnt go to classes

Of course my opinion is cash is king in LOS....

Yeah ED visa is very expensive, that why the best option is marriage extension or retirement. I am marry and I pay only 1900 bath every year at immigration

21 hours ago, Jack1988 said:

Yeah ED visa is very expensive, that why the best option is marriage extension or retirement. I am marry and I pay only 1900 bath every year at immigration

ive been coming here over a decade and visa exempt

30 at bkk--extend at CNX immig

burma run--extend

burma run-extend=6 months

note this was pre covid

currently on 2 nd covid ext and will go for 3rd in may--sure makes exts easier

i agree he paid 30k and was too much imo

Yes, you can get an ED visa to stay for up to a year...without leaving the country.  I just got one for 40k for 9 months (longest I could purchase).   The school/agency now have a 12 month one for 57k.

I had to convert from volunteer, and I was already on overstay and they got it done (I don't recommend this, my situation was created that NOBODY in pattaya was giving visas to someone who had been here thru pandemic, at least not for less than 110k.)

It will take about 4 weeks processing.  So...start the process before you quit your job.  Overstay fees add up quick and don't look so good on your passport.

I interviewed some 40 agents before I found a solution and group I was comfortable with.

Yes, I'm going to be attending the classes (online).  But as somone else said, they don't require it.

I know several people denied entry or had to pay under the table to get back in doing visa runs in past month.

30k is now CHEAP, especially if you don't have to leave country (visa run with all costs will run you about 20 to 25k with all tests and travel), mind you the severe lack of knowledge there won't be problems for you when you try and get back in.

So, he ended up spending same or more as me just to get a 30 day tourist visa as I got for 9 months.
I feel good about my choice ????

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, LukKrueng said:

I think marriage is much more expensive than ed visa in the long run...

Maybe true, if you want to take a negative attitude.

But doesn't have to be true, there's many many foreigners very happily married, many with kids they love and cherish and they get great satisfaction from a happy loving family life.

And the reality is supporting a wife and family does cost money, but with great benefits.

• Like 1

On 4/16/2022 at 12:37 PM, salva said:

I am already working here for 5 months.

I think, but can be wrong, that if you have been working for 5 months only you are still here on a VISA and not on an extension of stay, If your work permit cancels during you still have a valid VISA you can stay until the date the VISA expires. 

If om correct its only efter the 1st year and you get the ext of stay you have to leave within 24 hours or apply for 7 days to take care of your stuff before leaving.

Can anyone correct me if I'm wrong.

2 hours ago, DrJack54 said:

From the OP......

"Im 36 years old, no marriage no kids. I just want to find the easiest way to stay here longer to enjoy the country and my free time."

The OP in his first post and this one above makes zero reference to marriage or even Thai gf

So what's all the posts about using marriage as an option. 

the easiest way to live in thailand is marriage or retirement, it's obvious

• Confused 1

2 hours ago, Jack1988 said:

the easiest way to live in thailand is marriage or retirement, it's obvious

Bit irrelevant isn't it. Here from the OP.....

"Im 36 years old, no marriage no kids"

Marriage and retirement irrelevant for him. Didn't even mention Thai gf. 

29 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

Bit irrelevant isn't it. Here from the OP.....

"Im 36 years old, no marriage no kids"

Marriage and retirement irrelevant for him. Didn't even mention Thai gf. 

Then if marriage and retirement is irrelevant for him am sorry to say that but he can't stay long term in Thailand

It depends on many factor. Are you loaded? If so, you can get an elite. It used to be one mil for 20-years. Now 2 mil for 20 years, one mil for 10-year and 600K for five years which can be upgraded in the future. Another option is get a tourist visa from cambodia good for three months (with one month extension) and hope that entry requirements are relaxed for the next round around for visa runs. As some poster has already mentioned, you can also get a 9-month education visa without leaving Thailand for 40K and hope you get another job within 9-months. Good luck whatever option you choose. If I were you, I would opt for 40K education visa option and learn Thai in the next few months.  

Edited by CartagenaWarlock

24 minutes ago, CartagenaWarlock said:

It depends on many factor. Are you loaded? If so, you can get an elite. It used to be one mil for 20-years. Now 2 mil for 20 years, one mil for 10-year and 600K for five years which can be upgraded in the future.

You can still get 20 years for 1 mil. Superiority Extension. (Visa only, no benefits, not transferable)

Or go for the 5 year for 600K. Then upgrade it for 400K to add an additional 15 years.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Eaglekott said:

I think, but can be wrong, that if you have been working for 5 months only you are still here on a VISA and not on an extension of stay, If your work permit cancels during you still have a valid VISA you can stay until the date the VISA expires. 

If om correct its only efter the 1st year and you get the ext of stay you have to leave within 24 hours or apply for 7 days to take care of your stuff before leaving.

Can anyone correct me if I'm wrong.

@ubonjoe might know about this?

Hi again guys. Thanks to all for the replies, these days im really busy about my job and also contacting with different visa agencies. Each one tells me different things and prices, some agencies tell me I cant convert my non b work visa into ed visa in the same year, other tell me yes, other tell me i can get covid visa only until next month and after make visa run to get tourist visa so i can convert it to ed visa, other even told me i can do STV and convert it to ed........ My head is gonna explote coz I dont know if they really know my circumstancies and I also dont know If i can trust with them. I imagine each agency has their contacts, but i cant take any risk and I wanna be sure and safe If i leave my job.

Next Thursday I have an appointment with a visa agency here in CM who told me they can convert my visa to ed visa but they need around 1 month to do it so i need to keep working during that time so when they have the ok I will can leave the job. Price for 1 year is 47,000b.

I have thai gf but marriage visa is not an option right now.... I also cant do elite visa 5555, my budget is low sadly. My target here is to stay in Thailand having fun and enjoying as much as I can for 1 year.  Of course I would like to stay longer but right now for me is not an option, so i will use my savings to do this and when finish I will go back to Spain.

PD: If i cancel my work permit so my visa I cant stay more than one week in the country, thats 100% sure.  Sorry about my english.

Edited by salva