The death of music

sipi

Not Thai related, but that doesn't seem to matter lately.

My son did some music lessons with a famous pop group from the seventies who think that their smoke doesn't stink. You've probably never heard of them so I won't even embarrass myself by trying to remember their name.

Is music dead?

The latest song I remember trying to like was this one, just to please my younger friends..

Edited by sipi
  • Confused 2
  • Sad 2
  • Haha 1

Because we are older we may not have the same life experience  as the target young audience, and don't feel as stimulated by the modern approach to love songs, and such.

But more importantly, in my opinion, there are limits to pop melodies and tunes and we have often actually heard it before - like watching a new movie where you've seen the same approach, plot moves etc, before.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, pgrahmm said:

Yeah - music as we appreciated is dead....Whether rock, love songs, ballads, or country; it's in decline or gone completely out of sight of the rear view mirror....

It's all club banging or rapping = which isn't music in my book....

I guess it goes with the great age of digital detachment & loss of any kind of people skills.....

I actually find solace in a lot of the Thai music, dancers, and entertainers that my family watches/listens to - it still has personality - over the absolute train wreck nightmare most western mainstream "music" has become....

You use the phrase 'as WE appreciated' and which 'isn't music in MY book'.

So come on, what did WE appreciate, and what is in YOUR book?

• Confused 2

10 minutes ago, pgrahmm said:

Yeah - music as we appreciated is dead....Whether rock, love songs, ballads, or country; it's in decline or gone completely out of sight of the rear view mirror....

I guess it goes with the great age of digital detachment & loss of any kind of people skills.....

I actually find solace in a lot of the Thai music, dancers, and entertainers that my family watches/listens to - it still has personality - over the absolute train wreck nightmare most western mainstream "music" has become....

Thanks PG.

You obviously articulate much better than me. You are saying what I'm thinking.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, pgrahmm said:

They dont make them like they used to anymore 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, transam said:

Nothing would convince me to like Rap music, to me it's just a bloke talking to himself whilst others are banging out a few sounds.

There are very old groups out there that would fill a stadium with the click of their fingers, Rolling Stones come to mind, and just imagine if the Beatles were still about, that would be a blast...????

I think it's a cultural thing. I am a bit the same. But try Die Antwoord from South Africa. Take a bit of getting used to but they have something to say.

Enter the Ninja. Fatty Boom Boom. Rich Bitch. Ugly Boy. 

Was watching a clip of them at a concert singing 'I fink u freeky' to a young audience and it was a bit fun to relate to how they were feeling. 

• Confused 1

Its not just music.

Lets see. I used to listen to classical music in my younger years then I switched to pop but now I only listen to music in movies--whatever.

Internet took over.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

2 hours ago, Nickelbeer said:

Old people (like me) and young people, do not generally like the same music.

My Dad hated The Shadows and The Beatles. For some reason he liked The Beach Boys, as do I.

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, sipi said:

Is music dead?

Nope, your just getting old and are set in your tastes. The same question is posed by the vast majority of all generations, some move with the times and their tastes evolve, not necessarily replacing what they enjoy but adding to it.

Edited by Salerno
Typo
  • Like 2

7 minutes ago, Salerno said:

Nope, your just getting old and are set in your tastes. The same question is posed by the vast majority of all generations, some move with the times and their tastes evolve, not necessarily replacing what they enjoy but adding to it.

If people's tastes evolved with the times, we'd still be cursed with the dinosaurs.  Let old folks take their opinions to the grave, rather than asking them to follow current trends.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, StreetCowboy said:

"And that's not much of a frock she's wearing either." 

Every now and then I try and find a certain episode on YouTube but to no avail. I'm 99.9% certain Pans People where braless with see through tops ... or it might have just been the vivid imagination of a horny 12 year old ????

Edited by Salerno
  • Haha 1

A lot of modern music is garbage, sure, mumble-rap, grime, etc., but there are still some very talented people around.  Are they recycling old tunes?  Probably, but that's been going on as long as people have been making music.

You can't tell me that these two guys can't sing or that this tune is bad:

16 minutes ago, Salerno said:

Every now and then I try and find a certain episode on YouTube but to no avail. I'm 99.9% certain Pans People where braless with see through tops ... or it might have just been the vivid imagination of a horny 12 year old ????

Video evidence please of bra-less Pan's People.

• Haha 1

33 minutes ago, OneMoreFarang said:

I try to be not too judgmental.

I can hear music from almost any time and lots of music genres. Some I like more and some not so much.

Music changes over time, it changed a lot in the past, and it continues to change.

And now a big part are obviously music videos. With some pretty girls and good videos almost any music can be sold.

169 million views on YouTube...

bizarrely, it has never been easier to make/produce your own music, with even the minutest amount of talent, and get it released to the outside world. however, the negative it seems to me, is the self same technology is used to over produce and remove all emotion/feeling/authenticity/originality to much of the music produced. just my 2p worth.