Banged up in paradise: how our dream holiday to Thailand ended before it began

webfact

1 hour ago, herfiehandbag said:

Having glued, screwed and nailed down the lid on the coffin of the tourist industry, they are now piling rocks on top of it.

All in the name of greed.

If greed was the driving force, wouldn't they just open the flood gates and let anyone (negative or positive) through?

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, gearbox said:

The covid vaccines are not real vaccines, they should be called "symptom relieving drugs".

The real vaccines prevent transmission effectively. Both me and my gf went through covid with very mild symptoms 3 weeks ago, I have 3 shots, she has 4. All the people around who got covid so far had 3 shots too.

Soon the people would start thinking that the real vaccines like hep B behave the same way.

having the virus enter your body and going on to develope "covid" the disease are entirely different things, a PCR test will detect the virus but there are thresholds to determine actual levels, also the test may also detect dead viral particles - the world has moved on - what is wrong with Thailand ?

This story should be published on mainstream world media so that people understand the risks in coming here

4 hours ago, Capella said:

You don't have to be triple vaccinated. 

it doesn't matter a rats rear end if you are...whatever it is you are allowing to be injected doesn't stop you from getting covid.
it reads to me like she was snotted by the cog in the wheel that gets a kickback from marking people positive.

46 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

Would partly disagree.

My double vaccinated woman had COVID last week, 6 day flu symptoms.

I (double vaccinated) didn't have it, or had no symptoms, even though sleeping with her.

My 10yo son, unvaccinated, didn't have it, or had no symptoms, even though with her all the time.

All masked when outside our home.

define "didn't have it"

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

10 minutes ago, Lacessit said:

AFAIK flu shots are still called vaccines.

Please explain your reasoning as to why the COVID vaccines should not be called that, do you have some threshold of prevention?

It is just a perception...the flu shots are vaccines but nobody calls them vaccines. They don't last more than a few months and most people get the flu anyway. 

The perception for the vaccines is that they prevent infection and transmission at a quite high percentage. I have myself a number of different vaccines and I'm fairly confident in preventing the infection in the first place.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

1 hour ago, BritManToo said:

You need to read the links ................. Banyan Veya is 9kbht/night.

If I were a NHS hospital orderly, I wouldn't be booking there.

"By now, Paul and I should have been decompressing at Banyan Tree Phuket’s new wellbeing sanctuary, Veya.

On previous visits, I’d snapped into local time easily."

All the info is there if you read it.

I almost never fly business class but SWMBO has decided that this time I should so I’m going Q-suite on two legs and a 380 upper deck this is extremely rare, so you are reading much more than is there. Could it be true? Yes. Is there evidence? No.

previous visits aren’t remotely “regular holidays in high end hotels” 

1 trip to a higher end place planned a long time in advance is hardly a pattern.

since it is very probably her job to travel and write about the kind of place that they were planning to visit, that his job may not often allow that kind of trip would preclude the regular and high end. I don’t know if I found the correct LinkedIn profile, but probably have

Edited by sometimewoodworker
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, hotchilli said:

Som nam na....

Strange how when  on English media, expats use 'som nam na' and 'tabien baan' ???? instead of the English words.

Anyway, how does it serve her right? What did she do to deserve this bad luck?

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

34 minutes ago, Surasak said:

I used to have three week holiday stays in Thailand. It was cheaper than two weeks in Spain. I also worked in the NHS for many of those years.

would you come here right now for a 3 week holiday ?

considering how many people have omicron all over the world and how infectious it is - what are the chances of not catching it while travelling, I will bet the lady in the OP had no idea she had the virus in her body - did she develope "covid" ( the disease) ?, well if no symptoms then she didn't so why was she banged up

Edited by smedly
  • Like 1

15 minutes ago, gearbox said:

It is just a perception...the flu shots are vaccines but nobody calls them vaccines. They don't last more than a few months and most people get the flu anyway. 

The perception for the vaccines is that they prevent infection and transmission at a quite high percentage. I have myself a number of different vaccines and I'm fairly confident in preventing the infection in the first place.

getting infected with the virus and getting the disease called "covid" are entirely different things

• Confused 1

1 hour ago, Canadian Snowbird said:

Reading situations such as this surely will not help Thailand restore their tourism industry. Who wants to take the chance to throw that much money down the drain for nothing more than a really bad memory? Not me. 

she has mentioned her insurance will cover all costs.

Probably it won't, unless some special expensive policy

2 hours ago, blazes said:

A nightmare, to be sure

I've experienced much worse nightmares when travelling. 9 nights in a hotel would b quite nice. 

For example being drugged in Pedang Besar and subsequently locked in no man's land for a few days as neither Thailand or Malaysia would let me in drunk. Or being stuck in Bangladesh for a week with no money, after being deported from India.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, JimTripper said:

A lot of couples come for three-somes, or other sexual experimentation as a couple where they need outside participants. There are a lot of sexual clubs, S&M, Bondage, etc. in the city that you don't find elsewhere.

It sounds like a regular holiday but when it's Bangkok it's usually not just for the hotel or rooftop bar, especially if it's a repeat visit.

You do know about the defamation laws here, right?

2 hours ago, Cambodger said:

If my dog had three rabies vaccines and then caught rabies i might start questioning the efficacy of the vaccine.

If your dog had three rabies vaccines and then caught rabies, I would suggest that you failed to get the dog regularly boosted or boosted on exposure.

I would start questioning your knowledge of vaccination and your ability to care for a dog, not the efficacy of the vaccine.

Edited by LosLobo
  • Sad 1
  • Haha 2

5 hours ago, Capella said:

You don't have to be triple vaccinated. 

There just emphasizing that they have taken the recommendation of getting a booster.

Old news as a 4th booster is recommended.

• Like 2