Banged up in paradise: how our dream holiday to Thailand ended before it began

webfact

1 minute ago, BritManToo said:

I've been paying max 500bht a night for hotel rooms in Thailand since 2009.

If anything the 500bht rooms are nicer now.

I have stayed it similar accommodation here also, but the do vary from reasonable to below standard. But, like many other things you get what you pay for.

An often told story these days so the couple can't say they weren't aware of the ramifications of testing positive. Still, a bummer of a way to spend the holidays. I've travelled out and back a couple of times myself and I was cognizant that there was a minor risk of presenting as positive during testing.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, gearbox said:

It is just a perception...the flu shots are vaccines but nobody calls them vaccines. They don't last more than a few months and most people get the flu anyway. 

The perception for the vaccines is that they prevent infection and transmission at a quite high percentage. I have myself a number of different vaccines and I'm fairly confident in preventing the infection in the first place.

What you're failing to account for here is that the flu vaccine, for it is a vaccine is targeted to a small handful of the many different types of flu which exist and are in circulation.

The WHO make a decision as to which variants of the flu will be targeted based on what's expected to be going around in the following season, they do this by comparing the currently circulatins variants of influenza in the opposite hemisphere and make an educated guess - yes, you read that right - it's just a guess by the WHO.

They need to do this as it takes many months to grow and manufacture the flu vaccine, it's not something they can just make up in a lab in a couple of weeks - it takes months - this is why they need to make the guess - the time delay.

Sometimes they get it very wrong but then again, that's to be expected as it's guesswork so it's purely down to chance.

Also - 'most people get the flu anyway' is very far from reality, hardly anyone gets the flu, if they did then we would know about it as a pandemic would be declared and that's a pretty rare event. People are getting colds and calling it the flu but there's a whole world of difference between a cold and a flu which most people don't understand as they're never had the flu.

Edited by ukrules
  • Like 2

4 minutes ago, ukrules said:

there's a whole world of difference between a cold and a flu which most people don't understand as they're never had the flu.

Exactly, a cold does not result in muscle aches, fatigue, headaches and the general feeling one might be dying.

• Like 1

From the linked Sunday Times article:

I wasn’t the only one feeling sorry for myself. Newlyweds Clare and Brad Osborne flew into Phuket on the same days as us and, although asymptomatic, Clare tested positive. She was just one of 55 tourists to test positive in Phuket that day.

According to the most recent Phuket Reopening Daily Report issued by the Tourism Authority of Thailand (TAT), Phuket welcomed 42,375 foreign tourists during Apr 1-14 giving the daily average of 3,026 arrivals. Saturday 16 April 2022

https://www.thephuketnews.com/foreign-arrivals-average-3-000-in-april-surpass-january-february-level-83829.php

12 hours ago, Excel said:

Well whilst I can understand their concerns I can not understand the naivety, stupidity, ignorance of the facts -call it what you will, in coming to Thailand in the first place. If they bothered to read the news, the thousands of reports on the internet then they would have clearly understood the risks that they may have encountered coming to Thailand under the current governments scams into enticing tourists. Don't start complaining when the facts were there for them to read in the first place.

But these reports are rare which, there are not thousands of stories as you state  is why this story makes news. It's unusual.

13 hours ago, Excel said:

Well whilst I can understand their concerns I can not understand the naivety, stupidity, ignorance of the facts -call it what you will, in coming to Thailand in the first place. If they bothered to read the news, the thousands of reports on the internet then they would have clearly understood the risks that they may have encountered coming to Thailand under the current governments scams into enticing tourists. Don't start complaining when the facts were there for them to read in the first place.

They knew the risks as they stated they planned since 2019 for the trip and canceled twice due to conditions so they have no excuse to claim ignorance only bad luck. 

13 hours ago, Cambodger said:

If my dog had three rabies vaccines and then caught rabies i might start questioning the efficacy of the vaccine.

You can start questioning it when it comes to humans then because if you are vaccinated against rabies and you get bitten by a rabid dog, you need to go to the hospital asap for one further vaccine jab.

1 hour ago, NorthernRyland said:

COVID vaccines are new tech that didn't go through the same rigorous process that other drugs do. I don't care what they say it takes years out in the public to determine if drugs are safe and these products forwent that. I personally got the vaccine despite knowing the risks and regret it but I will continue to get flu vaccines.

Sinovac, Sinopharm, Sputnik and Astra Zeneca are not new technology, the killed virus and vector technologies have been around for decades. It is only the mRNA vaccines that are new.

2 hours ago, NorthernRyland said:

Let this sink in. From the highest level of the authority in the world, the WHO falsely prompted a treatment during a pandemic??? What possible excuse could they have for doing such a thing? Either they're corrupt or incompetent and shouldn't be trusted going forward as far as I'm concerned.

The WHO did not falsely promote a treatment, it described the objective incorrectly. Vaccination against COVID has saved millions of people from death or serious incapacitation, also known as long COVID. The virus attacks the lungs, it's like converting a non-smoker to a two pack a day habit virtually overnight. The facts are in on how well vaccination has worked during a pandemic.

The WHO sends doctors into s##tholes such as Somalia, Afghanistan and Cambodia to vaccinate against polio and tuberculosis, both of which should have gone the way of smallpox by now. Carping about an error in description is IMO incredibly petty.

16 hours ago, Cambodger said:

If my dog had three rabies vaccines and then caught rabies i might start questioning the efficacy of the vaccine.

No, you should question which other bloody dog from which house nearby have been taking advantage of your infected one. Oh, the least you should also question your own dog's judgement in seeking pleasure from risky encounters.

18 hours ago, Pattaya Spotter said:

Record daily cases in the UK, Germany, and most other countries in Europe...the WHO has said they lifted their Covid-19 restrictions too soon.

I checked before my post there and cases in the UK were falling, as were hospital admissions, deaths, sadly were still on the up. Percentage of people with Covid antibodies now reflects why cases must fall. 

I felt the restrictions were eased too much too soon, but can certainly see the reasoning. Let Thailand make it's own decisions I say... few shining examples of success against Covid out there in short memory lands.. 

• Like 1

Anybody flying to an international destination for a short holiday, is not thinking

very smartly. If I was planning to go to Thailand, it would be for at least 2 months, then if I had to

do a COVID quarantine  it would only affect a bit of my stay. People who have 2 or 3 weeks only, should go somewhere                                                          like Mexico or a country that does not make them test after arrival.

Simple solution, to a lot of planning.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, ChC1 said:

No, you should question which other bloody dog from which house nearby have been taking advantage of your infected one. Oh, the least you should also question your own dog's judgement in seeking pleasure from risky encounters.

If he has another leg up, I don't see it.

57 minutes ago, Stargeezr said:

Anybody flying to an international destination for a short holiday, is not thinking

very smartly. If I was planning to go to Thailand, it would be for at least 2 months, then if I had to

do a COVID quarantine  it would only affect a bit of my stay. People who have 2 or 3 weeks only, should go somewhere                                                          like Mexico or a country that does not make them test after arrival.

Simple solution, to a lot of planning.

A reasonable thought process but most working people cannot manage a 2 month holiday, and those not working struggle to afford it. Just retirees have the option I guess. 

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Surasak said:

I have stayed it similar accommodation here also, but the do vary from reasonable to below standard. But, like many other things you get what you pay for.

Staying in an excellent resort at the moment 350 baht/night. 

Individual chalets, fridge, WiFi, TV, private parking, maid service every other day. Very clean, tidy....and my number one desire.....quiet.

Would happily live here if the wife hadn't gone and bought me a house.

16 hours ago, NorthernRyland said:

COVID vaccines are new tech that didn't go through the same rigorous process that other drugs do. I don't care what they say it takes years out in the public to determine if drugs are safe and these products forwent that. I personally got the vaccine despite knowing the risks and regret it but I will continue to get flu vaccines.

I think the flu vaccine is new every year. The strains change every year.

• Haha 1

7 hours ago, Will B Good said:

Staying in an excellent resort at the moment 350 baht/night. 

Individual chalets, fridge, WiFi, TV, private parking, maid service every other day. Very clean, tidy....and my number one desire.....quiet.

Would happily live here if the wife hadn't gone and bought me a house.

So, instead of being coy, tell us where you are.  Or, if you're too shy to be so precise, at least tell us the general area.   (I have known resorts that fit that description in the area north-west of Chiang Mai.)

However,  I was paying around 1700 baht/night....

Edited by blazes
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, blazes said:

So, instead of being coy, tell us where you are.  Or, if you're too shy to be so precise, at least tell us the general area.   (I have known resorts that fit that description in the area north-west of Chiang Mai.)

However,  I was paying around 1700 baht/night....

Picture clue............... see if you can guess where I am.......

Resort name is First Inn........When I say resort.....I mean it's a 'Thai' resort.

Screen Shot 2022-04-19 at 16.45.18.jpg