Possibly blacklisted but wants to return

Have a friend (seriously) who got himself into trouble back in 2012/13, not sure exact date, sent down for 10, fessed up, reduced to 5, and out on royal pardon in August 2015. So released almost 7 years back after 2 1/2 years. Immediate deportation back to home country. He'd like to find out if he could make it back here, or whether he would still be blacklisted. I'm going to consult a lawyer for him when I get the chance, but before that it would be nice to hear others' experiences, knowledge, info etc.

PS I visited him a number of times in Klong Prem special wing. Conclusion: be good, and if you can't be good, be xxxxxxxx careful is all I can say.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

Ir is fairly easy for a person with contacts at immigration to check his status in the immigration database. All that is needed is his full name, passport number and date of birth.

Great, thanks Joe

2 minutes ago, Doctor Tom said:

And if approved, absolutely no guarantee that he would not be detained and jailed before being deported again. Possession of a legally obtained visa does not guarantee that you can enter the country. 

I would think if it's not in the embassy's computer, issuing the visa, then probably nothing to worry about.  At worse, not admitted, and have to fly back out, as technically, probably not doing anything illegal.  Unless he was told when deported, 'you're blacklisted, don't return'.

How else would he find out if blacklisted .... ask.   How's that conversation going to go.

'Hi, I was previously deported, can you check if I'm allowed to return ?'

"Let me check, thanks for asking, because someone forgot to blacklist you.  I've taken care of that for you, and update the info, and NO, now you can not return"

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, KhunLA said:

I would think if it's not in the embassy's computer, issuing the visa, then probably nothing to worry about.  At worse, not admitted, and have to fly back out, as technically, probably not doing anything illegal.  Unless he was told when deported, 'you're blacklisted, don't return'.

How else would he find out if blacklisted .... ask.   How's that conversation going to go.

'Hi, I was previously deported, can you check if I'm allowed to return ?'

"Let me check, thanks for asking, because someone forgot to blacklist you.  I've taken care of that for you, and update the info, and NO, now you can not return"

One thing is for sure, I doubt that they would be welcoming him back with a big smile and open arms. 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

A embassy has no access to immigrations records nor do they contact immigration when approving a visa application.

The first problem after getting a visa is when the airline submits the info to immigration for approval. People been denied boarding their flight after immigration rejected it due to a person being on the blacklist.

Still not a problem, buy a refundable ticket.  Again, how else would one know if blacklisted, if not asking, which may get them blacklisted.   

Bit of a catch 22

Could actually plan ahead, and but a cheap ticket to Cambo or Nam, with long conx time at BKK.  This way avoid possibility of no flight, or expensive return flight.  Don't think they mind where he goes, as long as he goes .... ????

Along with playing dumb, if denied, and state he didn't realize he couldn't catch his next flight out, without passing thru imm...."oh, I'm sorry, I need to go where....thanks"

Edited by KhunLA
  • Like 1
  • Confused 1

6 minutes ago, KhunLA said:

Still not a problem, buy a refundable ticket.  Again, how else would one know if blacklisted, if not asking, which may get them blacklisted.   

Bit of a catch 22

Immigration at the smaller immigration offices who don't have much to do can actually be quite helpful.

So if I were in this situation I would simply call one of them (or have a Thai speaker call them for you) and just ask them if I'm still blacklisted.

Should be no problem for the IO to look this up in their computer if you give them name/dob/passport number.

Edited by FriendlyFarang
  • Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, KhunLA said:

Again, how else would one know if blacklisted, if not asking, which may get them blacklisted.   

Did you read my earlier post.

7 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

Ir is fairly easy for a person with contacts at immigration to check his status in the immigration database. All that is needed is his full name, passport number and date of birth.

7 minutes ago, FriendlyFarang said:

Immigration at the smaller immigration offices who don't have much to do can actually be quite helpful.

So if I were in this situation I would simply call one of them (or have a Thai speaker call them for you) and just ask them if I'm still blacklisted.

Most helpful advice (plus UbonJoe's of course). I would always ask a Thai person of 'standing' (school teachers seem especially respected) to make enquiries for me. Even if he is blacklisted there may be a way forward. Will never know until he asks.

7 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

Or even easier, why doesn't he travel for a holiday to Asia, buying a cheap ticket from a neighbouring country? If he gets stopped trying to enter, he'll know...

(This being the pandemic, you may want to pick a departure country that you can easily travel back to, if you are blacklisted in Thailand.)

Edited by StayinThailand2much
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

You don't get blacklisted for being in jail generally. Just return and come back 

Your friend would have been told this..and you don't do 'a 10 stretch' at big tiger. Under 15 years you're at the jail where u got nicked usually.

I smell <deleted>

12 minutes ago, justaphase said:

You don't get blacklisted for being in jail generally. Just return and come back 

Your friend would have been told this..and you don't do 'a 10 stretch' at big tiger. Under 15 years you're at the jail where u got nicked usually.

I smell <deleted>

Nor sure quite what you're smelling, but it ain't xxxx

11 minutes ago, justaphase said:

I have a contact at immigration that can check for you for 3000b if u pm his name passport port details. He checked mine when I got out.

That was Joe's advice. I'll make enquiries. Thanks.

Edited by bradiston

1 hour ago, KhunLA said:

Easy enough, simply apply for a visa, and having a new the PP # may help.  They'll either approve or not.

A higher profile case but Sandra Gregory was refused entry despite having a valid visa. 

1 hour ago, PJ71 said:
2 hours ago, CH1961 said:

Please tell us where you and your friend usually can be found.  

So that I can avoid this place in the future. 

What a stupid comment

Judging by the reactions his comment is liked more than yours. 

So who has the stupid comment? 

????

Screenshot_2022-04-21-17-38-05-51_40deb401b9ffe8e1df2f1cc5ba480b12.jpg

Screenshot_2022-04-21-17-37-06-34_40deb401b9ffe8e1df2f1cc5ba480b12.jpg

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, guru said:

A higher profile case but Sandra Gregory was refused entry despite having a valid visa

So she says, and not exactly the most credible source for info.  "texted friends in the UK to say she was refused entry to Thailand, despite having a valid visa."

No official stating that, just the scumbag telling her friends.  Shame they didn't make her do the whole stretch.

Can't believe she thought she wasn't blacklisted.  Can't fix stupid.

2 hours ago, KhunLA said:

Bit of a catch 22

Could actually plan ahead, and but a cheap ticket to Cambo or Nam, with long conx time at BKK.  This way avoid possibility of no flight, or expensive return flight.  Don't think they mind where he goes, as long as he goes .... ????

Along with playing dumb, if denied, and state he didn't realize he couldn't catch his next flight out, without passing thru imm...."oh, I'm sorry, I need to go where....thanks"

Yes and better still,  avoid BKK entry, enter from Cambo at that “ intl” (he he) Pattaya Air Force base civil airport. They probably don’t even have computers there yet ????????????