Electric Vehicles in Thailand

the volvo ex30 appears to be an impressive car. even if it has a few features

i don't particularly like, i'll put this car on my shortlist! 

image.thumb.png.e4205a7851dd500000669168eff2bedd.png

i'm wondering if any of you have heard any updates or rumours regarding

these cars' release dates or prices:

- BYD Denza N7 
- BYD Seal Lion 
- BYD Song L
- Hyundai Ioniq 5 
- Hyundai Ioniq 6 

regards, motdaeng

36 minutes ago, motdaeng said:

the volvo ex30 appears to be an impressive car. even if it has a few features

i don't particularly like, i'll put this car on my shortlist! 

image.thumb.png.e4205a7851dd500000669168eff2bedd.png

i'm wondering if any of you have heard any updates or rumours regarding

these cars' release dates or prices:

- BYD Denza N7 
- BYD Seal Lion 
- BYD Song L
- Hyundai Ioniq 5 
- Hyundai Ioniq 6 

regards, motdaeng

Agreed Volvo EX30 an impressive car and is on my list pending the price here.

- BYD Denza N7: 

arenaev_001.jpg.8360ab652fa84c085f9941a410e025f0.jpg

The only Denza I saw at the BKK motor show was the D9  so no word yet but can't rule it out

denza-d9-2022-01-min.png.242ecc94c9e35d18fdfad48f8613a9db.png

- BYD Sea Lion  - again not at the BKK show and it only debuted in China in April, so might be a while

474093560_SeaLion.jpg.a64ddb38466e35815bcd873d82e8504e.jpg

- BYD Song L

Concept  revealed in April - will be a while

2023041813180673.jpg.2033e77225de3c598eb4ba4ef3b52caa.jpg

- Hyundai Ioniq 5 
- Hyundai Ioniq 6 

Hyundai brought an IONIQ 5 to the BKK show but said you couldn’t buy it in Thailand, so no chance of the 6 either anytime soon.

Edited by Bandersnatch
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Bandersnatch said:

Thanks for posting Andrew. 100% Electric cars representing 12.28% of new registrations in Thailand is something to be celebrated 

Some figures from Europe for comparison:

79555558_Shareofbattery-onlyelectricpassengercarsamongnewlyregisteredpassengercars.thumb.jpg.82af15a8fd944cad3ae3d9462b2d2975.jpg

Do you think government's banning the sale of ICE vehicles has anything to do with the sales? 

7 hours ago, firefly17 said:

Yes why did Hyundai stuck Ioniq 5 on its Bangkok show stand? Staff didn't know why, super unfriendly when I asked about it 

I had the same reaction - I think they were pissed off that the Ioniq 5 was getting all the attention and not their fossil vans that had nobody looking at them.

I asked if the vans were electric ????

Then said "MG Maxus 9" to my wife and left to join the crown over at the MG stand.

spacer.png

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 6/9/2023 at 6:52 PM, Bandersnatch said:

Agreed Volvo EX30 an impressive car and is on my list pending the price here.

- BYD Denza N7

The only Denza I saw at the BKK motor show was the D9  so no word yet but can't rule it out

- BYD Sea Lion 

- again not at the BKK show and it only debuted in China in April, so might be a while

- BYD Song L

Concept  revealed in April - will be a while

- Hyundai Ioniq 5 
- Hyundai Ioniq 6 

Hyundai brought an IONIQ 5 to the BKK show but said you couldn’t buy it in Thailand, so no chance of the 6 either anytime soon.

@Bandersnatch ,  thank you for sharing your informations. 

over a year ago, i made the decision to purchase an electric car, hoping that there would soon be

a variety of options to choose from here in thailand.

right now, many models are available within the price range of under 1.5 million baht. however,

if you're seeking a premium car with excellent performance, comfortable driving, good quality,

and nice design for under 2.5 million baht, there are currently (in my opinion) only three models

available in thailand: the volvo xc40, tesla model 3, and tesla model y.

but for me, the interior and overall build quality of a tesla doesn't feel premium at all. the volvo xc40

is a great car, but you can see it was designed as an ice car and not as an electric car!

it seems that i'll have to wait much longer than expected before I can own an electric car ...

• Like 1

So what is the price of a BYD Dolphin here in Thailand ??

I was led to believe it was 799,999 baht but am seeing many FB posts discussing what the actual price will be, as if it hasn’t been officially released yet.

Anyone who has booked one ( @Gweiloman ) put me out of my misery please ?

( my local BYD showroom yet to break ground, despite an end of April opening date ???? )

10 minutes ago, josephbloggs said:

Yes, I kind of agree. Volvo say the XC40 was intended to also be a BEV even from the design stage but it still feels like a conversion as, for example, where the push button engine start is on a petrol XC40 is just covered up on the electric version and is just a weird grey plastic circle. Small details, but otherwise the electric XC40 is a superb car. I am a petrol XC40 owner and am waiting for the next gen of Volvos to come out to take the electric plunge as it doesn't make sense to swap for the same car, even though the electric one has cooler features like Google integration throughout, snappier graphics etc. I really did enjoy spending time in one (three days).

I think early next year you should be able to take delivery of the new EX30 in Thailand although that isn't confirmed yet. Exterior and interior look amazing. 422bhp and 543Nm for the dual motor. 0-100 is 3.4 or 3.6 seconds depending on where you look. Good range (460kms if I remember correctly), 175kW charging. 

Price I am led to believe will be around 1.7m THB although I guess that's the the single motor version, not sure. Personally I am excited by it - much more personality than a Tesla, better looking, will have better build quality, better interior materials. My only concern is the physical size of it and I need see it in the flesh to make a judgement on whether it is too small or not.

It's great that our choices are becoming wider and wider all the time.

https://www.volvocars.com/en-th/cars/ex30-electric/

• Thanks 1

19 hours ago, motdaeng said:

@Bandersnatch ,  thank you for sharing your informations. 

over a year ago, i made the decision to purchase an electric car, hoping that there would soon be

a variety of options to choose from here in thailand.

right now, many models are available within the price range of under 1.5 million baht. however,

if you're seeking a premium car with excellent performance, comfortable driving, good quality,

and nice design for under 2.5 million baht, there are currently (in my opinion) only three models

available in thailand: the volvo xc40, tesla model 3, and tesla model y.

but for me, the interior and overall build quality of a tesla doesn't feel premium at all. the volvo xc40

is a great car, but you can see it was designed as an ice car and not as an electric car!

it seems that i'll have to wait much longer than expected before I can own an electric car ...

I am looking at a similar price range and agree that Teslas don’t seem like luxury cars for the money, but maybe the Project Highland model 3 and Project Juniper model Y may be improved in that department. 

I was hoping that the new BMW iX1 would be reasonably priced, but having seen the price of the PHEV version, I don’t hold out much hope for the full electric version.

Fortunately my current car is only 2 years old so I can hold onto it for a while longer while I keep looking.

20230611_225838335_iOS.jpeg.f93d2753f733e7ee0b0a38b23d2d3237.jpeg

Anybody unsure what NEDC stands for, it’s Not Even Damn Close on that 14kWh battery.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

20 hours ago, Andrew Dwyer said:

So what is the price of a BYD Dolphin here in Thailand ??

I was led to believe it was 799,999 baht but am seeing many FB posts discussing what the actual price will be, as if it hasn’t been officially released yet.

Anyone who has booked one ( @Gweiloman ) put me out of my misery please ?

( my local BYD showroom yet to break ground, despite an end of April opening date ???? )

I had thought that the price was confirmed at 799,999 when I paid the booking fee. I asked my wife to check up on potential delivery date last week and got a surprise when the salesman mentioned that the price was not yet firm. They do not know the price either. 

The YT videos I have seen seem to indicate that it will be cheaper, which would be nice. However if more, then I will rethink the purchase.

Salesman also said that I will be among the first batch of recipients in CM should I confirm my purchase.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

53 minutes ago, Gweiloman said:

I had thought that the price was confirmed at 799,999 when I paid the booking fee. I asked my wife to check up on potential delivery date last week and got a surprise when the salesman mentioned that the price was not yet firm. They do not know the price either. 

The YT videos I have seen seem to indicate that it will be cheaper, which would be nice. However if more, then I will rethink the purchase.

Salesman also said that I will be among the first batch of recipients in CM should I confirm my purchase.

Ah okay thanks, seems like a bit of a marketing ploy, drop it down a little to attract the bargain hunters and yes it would be a bad move to put it up after everyone ( well you and me at least ) thought 799,999 was the fixed price.

• Like 1

This might be a little off topic but i think it’s applicable to anyone who bought a Chinese vehicle recently so maybe get an answer from the good people here. 
It’s about fixing the license plate to the car.

Started when i noticed the rear license plate is only fixed at the top 2 points and “ slaps “ when the boot/ trunk is closed. I lifted it up and saw 2 more threaded holes ( commonly known as captive nuts or hank bushes ) lower down, so I fixed this (6mm threaded holes ).

Having a look at the front I saw there are 4 small mounting pads which aren’t being utilised and the plate holder is fixed with 2 “ self tappers “ straight into the bumper ( was not happy when I saw this !! ). Still on the red plates so will point out this when called to change for the whites !!

Now, looking around it appears that Chinese cars have these mounting pads which are further apart ( 42 cm ish ) than the Thai license plates ( 34 cm ish ) seen it on this Jolion but also on Atto 3 which seems a bit of a clusterf#ck in the front license plate dept.

Lazada supply various lengths of plate covers ( 39cm, 44cm and 48cm etc ) specifically for the short Thai license plate so am sorted there . Will buy a couple to match the car colour, don’t care for the GWM free advertising ones .

Soo, my question is: ( there’s a question to this novel ? )

The mounting pads have small dimples in each but no holes, are they for self tappers ?

7 hours ago, Andrew Dwyer said:

This might be a little off topic but i think it’s applicable to anyone who bought a Chinese vehicle recently so maybe get an answer from the good people here. 
It’s about fixing the license plate to the car.

Started when i noticed the rear license plate is only fixed at the top 2 points and “ slaps “ when the boot/ trunk is closed. I lifted it up and saw 2 more threaded holes ( commonly known as captive nuts or hank bushes ) lower down, so I fixed this (6mm threaded holes ).

Having a look at the front I saw there are 4 small mounting pads which aren’t being utilised and the plate holder is fixed with 2 “ self tappers “ straight into the bumper ( was not happy when I saw this !! ). Still on the red plates so will point out this when called to change for the whites !!

Now, looking around it appears that Chinese cars have these mounting pads which are further apart ( 42 cm ish ) than the Thai license plates ( 34 cm ish ) seen it on this Jolion but also on Atto 3 which seems a bit of a clusterf#ck in the front license plate dept.

Lazada supply various lengths of plate covers ( 39cm, 44cm and 48cm etc ) specifically for the short Thai license plate so am sorted there . Will buy a couple to match the car colour, don’t care for the GWM free advertising ones .

Soo, my question is: ( there’s a question to this novel ? )

The mounting pads have small dimples in each but no holes, are they for self tappers ?

A bit late for me to go out and check (meaning I’m too lazy nd it’s a bit too humid outside) but I noticed that on my Haval as well. What I did was to stick a piece of foam on the bottom of the plate to stop it slapping/flapping.

Will check tomorrow if I can remember and try to figure out a more elegant solution.

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Gweiloman said:

A bit late for me to go out and check (meaning I’m too lazy nd it’s a bit too humid outside) but I noticed that on my Haval as well. What I did was to stick a piece of foam on the bottom of the plate to stop it slapping/flapping.

Will check tomorrow if I can remember and try to figure out a more elegant solution.

Thanks, it might be different on H6 but on my Jolion:

Rear has 4 tapped holes, showroom only used top two so that was easily solved.

Front has 4 pads which are presumably for mounting the license plate holder ( not an additional mounting plate as in case of Atto 3 ) but the 4 pads do not have tapped holes, only dimples. I really just want to confirm I can screw self tappers into those pads .

For those wondering what i am on about, i want it to look like this:

IMG_0815.thumb.jpeg.7420e776eb2a47d77d17200237774337.jpeg

currently looks like this:

IMG_0816.thumb.jpeg.134390456393beb6e0d0864110bb09ad.jpeg

1 hour ago, Andrew Dwyer said:

Thanks, it might be different on H6 but on my Jolion:

Rear has 4 tapped holes, showroom only used top two so that was easily solved.

Front has 4 pads which are presumably for mounting the license plate holder ( not an additional mounting plate as in case of Atto 3 ) but the 4 pads do not have tapped holes, only dimples. I really just want to confirm I can screw self tappers into those pads .

For those wondering what i am on about, i want it to look like this:

IMG_0815.thumb.jpeg.7420e776eb2a47d77d17200237774337.jpeg

currently looks like this:

IMG_0816.thumb.jpeg.134390456393beb6e0d0864110bb09ad.jpeg

the temporary red plate tends to be a bit smaller compared to the white plate with all the dealer marketing on the plate holder. 

59 minutes ago, Bandersnatch said:

the temporary red plate tends to be a bit smaller compared to the white plate with all the dealer marketing on the plate holder. 

Yes, the red plates are 30 cm and the white plate around 34 cm but both fit in my holder in the photo above so i imagine the dealer will just swap the plates and use the same holder leaving me with the same crappy result.

I have sourced some holders from Lazada already.

IMG_0812.thumb.jpeg.00a5ca0ba5ef86bb896b19f5a80085b4.jpeg

My only fear is that using self tappers into those 4 pads might cause them to crack ( a pilot hole would be the best bet I guess ). Double sided tape is another option but i don’t feel really safe with that.

I have read a few posts, on FB , from Atto 3 owners who have removed the additional plate on the front in an attempt to tidy up that area and found similar pads and some slots hence many Attos have a plate on a plate deal going on .

Seems like GWM and BYD haven’t made any allowance for the stubby Thai plates. Not a problem in U.K., Europe or Australia with much longer plates.

The Atto 3 problem being slightly different as the Thai plates is too tall for the allotted space .

Edited by Andrew Dwyer
Added more superfluous text !

1 hour ago, motdaeng said:

the cx40 with a reduction of 700'000 thb!!!  from 2'690'000 to 1'990'000 thb ...

i believe that some customers who just purchased a new cx40 or c40  will be furious ...

I know someone who bought an XC40 about 3 months ago.

I think I'll say nothing next time I see him!

Edited by macahoom
  • Like 2