Electric Vehicles in Thailand

3 minutes ago, JBChiangRai said:

you have the full horsepower instantly regardless of motor rpm, whereas in an ICE vehicle, the power builds to the quoted hp at a peak and then drops off

That’s one of the things I enjoy about a manual/tiptronic gearbox - having the car in the right gear at the right time. Or in the case of PDK, it already knows which gear you want to be in anyway! 

26 minutes ago, Ralf001 said:

Ahh sorry Maybe in what ever is your first language "tongue in cheek" was not taught in school.

But yeah If I has a coupla lazy mill... the Raptor would be in my garage not the over priced sewing machine.

Sigh. Why do diesel lovers always use childish terms like "sewing machines"? It just shows you have no interest in debating at all, your mind is made up and zipped closed.

Mine was also made up until I spent time with a (fast) EV. Have an open mind and you can be surprised. 

FWIW the Raptor has a crappy 10 speaker Bang & Olufsen system

I didn't know that. I have driven a top line Everest and it had a terrible sound system so I assumed the Raptor would be the same.

The other facts about it being plasticky, slow, noisy and smelly still stand even if it does have a decent sound system.

• Thumbs Up 1

2 hours ago, HarveyWlc said:

Well spotted. Could be quicker to 60 with a full battery at least, shall look forward to seeing the real life performance stats.

Not sure if I can post the link, but CarWow has an interesting video of an MG4 X vs the latest gen BMW M2 which is worth a watch.

I watched that. 

The MG4X has the aesthetic qualities of a tart's handbag.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, josephbloggs said:

Sigh. Why do diesel lovers always use childish terms like "sewing machines"? It just shows you have no interest in debating at all, your mind is made up and zipped closed.

Mine was also made up until I spent time with a (fast) EV. Have an open mind and you can be surprised. 

I didn't know that. I have driven a top line Everest and it had a terrible sound system so I assumed the Raptor would be the same.

The other facts about it being plasticky, slow, noisy and smelly still stand even if it does have a decent sound system.

It aint diesel however it is loud when Baja mode is engaged !!

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

8 hours ago, Andrew Dwyer said:

Is the Dolphin having an effect ?

MG4 down 100k .

IMG_1235.jpeg.eac222d7ec3a95371aa3c4c852df4ec4.jpeg

I saw that as well, but I have just posted the official price a few minutes ago.

Remember seeing the same ฿100,000 price reduction posted on FB about Teslas a few months ago and it never happened.

IMG_1187.jpeg.1dc697cbf676289c8a010d87ad357cf5.jpeg

Edited by Bandersnatch
  • Thumbs Up 2

14 minutes ago, Bandersnatch said:

I saw that as well, but I have just posted the official price a few minutes ago.

Remember seeing the same ฿100,000 price reduction posted on FB about Teslas a few months ago and it never happened.

Think you could be right, had a quick browse and couldn’t find this offer stated elsewhere or where I originally found it !!

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

13 hours ago, HarveyWlc said:

Could be quicker to 60 with a full battery at least, shall look forward to seeing the real life performance stats.

Maybe I am misunderstanding you, but I get the impression you think the power of a BEV is dependent on the amount of power remaining in the battery.

The only time a BEV does not have full power available is when it enters Turtle Mode. Turtle Mode is a feature which is designed to help you when your EV's battery is almost empty. Depending on the manufacturer, Turtle Mode will kick in once the battery's charge level is below 10% to 1%. Once it turns on, it will try its best to preserve the battery level by limiting the car’s speed and acceleration.

Edited by macahoom
  • Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

10 hours ago, In the jungle said:

I watched that. 

This is the MG4 video 

His verdict, unless you're a reader of EVO magazine, you should buy it.

I don't think it looks like a tart's handbag.

What it has going for it is the MG4's chassis and hot hatch setup.  It's already a driver's car and they've firmed up the already firm suspension some more.  I wouldn't be buying the matt green colour, matt paint is almost impossible to touch up or repair a panel.

If we get it, it will come down to price, it could be as cheap as 1.25M if UK differentials apply across the Thai range.

Edited by JBChiangRai
adjust price calculation
  • Love It 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

10 hours ago, In the jungle said:

I bow to your greater knowledge of Tarts Handbags, but maybe if you had actually driven the MG4 you might have been able to make an informed decision.

Turns out most motoring journalists don’t agree with you.

IMG_1188.jpeg.fd78b168842cbb8c5da82f985503d373.jpegIMG_1189.jpeg.16519e0a75bc9c9540a0ed2e8457a692.jpegIMG_1190.jpeg.bbe07c25c4db3c0ee0fb4dc7df118e7f.jpegIMG_1191.jpeg.815c2ad69b1da21051a9b2b98816ba80.jpegIMG_1192.jpeg.d8a025dfe723fa4036c5d9ea1a2fd75b.jpegIMG_1193.jpeg.8edc1e8846e6dfcb57c4a5dc51a1dfc2.jpegIMG_1194.jpeg.69503f4909c308cd74c3555e430ab24b.jpegIMG_1195.thumb.jpeg.71aeba76eaac690ac8b621c4c121eb3a.jpeg

Edited by Bandersnatch
  • Thumbs Up 2

13 hours ago, josephbloggs said:

14 hours ago, HarveyWlc said:

Thanks. The quoted 0-100km/h is certainly impressive, particularly for the price! The top end at 180kph not so much unfortunately. Any idea as to why they limit these cars so much as they’re obviously capable of going much faster. To preserve the battery perhaps …

For reference purposes, here’s a comparison between the ‘slowest’ 992 gen (base) 911 and the quoted performance stats for the fastest ex30:

992 (base):

power: 385ps

power/weight: 253 ps/t

0-100: 4.2 (quoted)

0-100: 3.2 (actual, source: fastestlaps)

top speed: 293kph

EX30 Twin Motor:

power: 434ps

power/weight: 223ps/t

0-100: 3.6 (quoted)

top speed: 180kph

Ignoring the fact that Porsche massively under rate the performance  statistics of their cars, I’d say that the slowest 911 is certainly faster, even potentially in a straight line. Can’t deny that the EX30 is a performance bargain though, interesting times!

Expand  

The 180kmh cap is a global Volvo safety thing, nothing to do with the battery. I think it was brought in in 2020 - they limit all their cars to a 180kmh top speed: petrol, hybrid, electric - and it is part of their pledge to eventually have zero fatalities in a Volvo car. Not sure I agree with it, but I rarely feel the need to go over 180kmh on the road these days (have done it plenty of times in my younger days).

I should point out that although the ex30 is very fast it is kind of ridiculous talking about it in comparison to a 911. A 911 is a pure bred, highly focused, mid-engined sports car. An ex30 is a small family SUV. Totally different beasts, but alas, we do live in interesting times and I am all in favour of them.

Even in comparison to a 911 the EV performance is addictive as it is instant, it is such a different feeling. I rented this beast for 24 hours in Dubai to race up and down some mountains and it was incredible. Faster on paper (0-100kmh in 3 seconds) but there's a lag, albeit small. A fast EV has no lag and just feels faster. Having said that I would take the 488 Italia Spider over the Volvo in an instant. ????

Lots of good points in this post.

Volvo's 180 kmh limit is nannying nonsense. It's all the more pointless if they're then going to sell a car weighing nearly 2 tonnes that has supercar performance 0-100 kmh. "Speed KIlls" n all that.

As you rightly point out, many EVs that can post a quick 0-100 kmh are not designed to be thrown around. Won't surprise me if there are quite a few crashes caused by this. Heavy SUVs handle like, well, heavy SUVs unless you spend a ton of money on suspension, tyre and brake upgrades. The cheap and cheerful Atto 3 will easily do a sub 7s 0-100 kmh but that's as fast as you'd want without all those upgrades. 

As to the different feeling of ICE vs EV performance, couldn't agree more. EV instant torque is great but it's hard to beat the sounds of highly tuned engines. 

Be interesting to see whether there are ever EV rally cars.

• Thumbs Up 2

On 9/8/2023 at 6:05 PM, chacha boom said:

Yes, both SAAB and Volvo was nearly broken in American hands (Same thing with Nokia, although that's another story). At least Volvo was saved by the Chinese. SAAB not so much, yet...

I can't speak to Saab, but Volvo's automotive division was saved by Ford, and then sold to the Chinese. 

Edited by Yellowtail
sp