Electric Vehicles in Thailand

23 hours ago, Alotoftravel said:

are all your BYD settings i.e drive mode ( sport/normal ) or regen does not need to be set up when you cycle the car too  ?

this is great if you do not have to set up again everytime you get in . I am not sure but I think (mg 4 drivers can confirm ) that settings done on the screen to change regen or drive mode needs to be set up again everytime and are not set permanently . I saw on you tube that this was one thing owners hope will change in future updates.

The drive mode stays where you set it, as does regen. But those are really easy to change on the fly (there are two toggle switches in the central console).

All the other c**p (lane keeping, auto braking, collision warning) requires pressing buttons on the screen AND the car to be stopped and in P. You can't change them while driving or while the car is stopped, but still in D.

That's why it will be excellent if it's really now possible to select permanently off (I'm not in Thailand at the moment which is why I can't say for sure that it's permanent, although it certainly looked like it).

• Thumbs Up 1

Hi everyone ,

thanks for your feedback . I have 2 weeks to decide before I give 4k deposit .

BKKBike09,

Can you share your reasons why you decided on then dolphin extended (160k baht more ) versus the standard .

For me,  I choose the extended over the standard is for :

- the additional range (340 vs 420km wltp)   and power charge (60 vs 80kw)

- ventilated seats

- power and torque ( 15 vs 7 sec)

I can live without the sunroof, wireless charging, larger set wheels, but nice to have . Not sure if multi link suspension is better compared to the torsion .

r

15 hours ago, Alotoftravel said:

Hi everyone ,

thanks for your feedback . I have 2 weeks to decide before I give 4k deposit .

BKKBike09,

Can you share your reasons why you decided on then dolphin extended (160k baht more ) versus the standard .

For me,  I choose the extended over the standard is for :

- the additional range (340 vs 420km wltp)   and power charge (60 vs 80kw)

- ventilated seats

- power and torque ( 15 vs 7 sec)

I can live without the sunroof, wireless charging, larger set wheels, but nice to have . Not sure if multi link suspension is better compared to the torsion .

r

Additionally. both front seats have electronic controls vs manual. All 4 windows are fully automatic, not sure about the standard range.

17 minutes ago, ExpatOilWorker said:

Volvo is showing their EX30 and C40 models at Central World, but I see a few flaws, NCM batteries, made in China ???????? and price ????.

20230916_160157.jpg

20230916_160030.jpg

C40 is not cheap.  EX30 is reasonable.

Made in China is a big plus.

NMC batteries, not ideal but I suspect is par for the course with most “Performance” variants. It needs considering carefully.

• Haha 1

7 minutes ago, JBChiangRai said:

NMC batteries, not ideal but I suspect is par for the course with most “Performance” variants. It needs considering carefully.

I am not doubting you as you know a lot more about EVs than I do. But can you explain? I know the two main technologies are LFP and NMC but what are the pros and cons and why do some manufacturers go for one over the other? I genuinely don't really know so would appreciate if you could share your insight as one of the forum's more knowledgable EV experts..

Sorry if someone has explained this before.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, motdaeng said:

EVme, a ev car rental service, is expanding its presence to chiang mai and khon kaen ...

https://evme.io/#

Thanks, I downloaded the app - seems like a good service and pretty reasonable for certain models, ridiculous prices for others. I like the fact they deliver and pick up afterwards.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, JBChiangRai said:

LFP last twice as many charge/discharge cycles compared to NMC.

NMC is more likely to catch fire but performs better in cold temperature climates.

NMC doesn’t like being fully charged, the battery degrades, so shouldn’t be left at 100%.

LFP is safer in hot climates and can be charged to 100%

NMC has a higher energy density so can pack more power in the same size.

NMC uses nickel, manganese and cobalt. Cobalt is controversial because children mine it in Africa.

There are probably other reasons, but these are the ones that come off the top of my head.

Thank you for sharing, interesting.

On the Cobalt thing, I was told by someone very senior at Volvo globally that they vet all suppliers and there is absolutely no exploitation or child labour involved and that they would not do business with any supplier who could not be audited and prove this.  So maybe it is not only mined by children in Africa? (I forgot where he said they do source it).

Anyway, thanks for the info, appreciate it.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, josephbloggs said:

Cool, I'm going to go and have a look tomorrow!

What's the problem with Made in China apart from the usual cliched nonsense? I know first hand that Volvo's production line in China delivers better quality than any others of theirs globally.

As others have said on here, if you want an EV, you should want it to be made in China as they are the world leaders whether your myopic worldview likes it or not.

Let me know if you need help kicking the 20" tires on the Volvo, I will also be at CTW tomorrow. 

On 9/13/2023 at 12:19 PM, Bandersnatch said:

Latest MG EV prices here in Surin, confirm discount on MG 4 and no wall box.

Showing a couple of friends the MG4 D in Robinson today. They are both planning to get solar and were very impressed with the car and it’s value at ฿769k.

I got talking to the sales girl and if I understood her Thai correctly she could supply me a wall charger but not installation.

I am now seriously considering buying an MG4 D as a second EV before the government grant and MG discounts end. 

If I run down my house batteries charging my 2 EVs I can always use the MG4’s V2L to support the house load over night.

• Like 1