Electric Vehicles in Thailand

1 minute ago, Jake72 said:

For people looking for actual info, these are the fast charging stations in Thailand: Make sure you can charge at home if you buy and EV.

image.png.4d85443804d39ec660ed776642b4a311.png

Agree, and plan long range trips wiv loads of charge stations on route just in case there are queues or out of order.........:clap2:

• Confused 3
  • Sad 1
  • Agree 2

2 hours ago, Bandersnatch said:

For people looking for actual Factual info, please ignore the map posted above as these are not the fast charging stations in Thailand: Make sure you ignore the poster who doesn’t drive an EV so is not up to date with the latest developments in EV charging infrastructure in Thailand 

IMG_3753.thumb.jpeg.fc99cea320c555c70479dd0c03c5f0e1.jpeg

https://evat.or.th/images/evinfo/current-status/2024-03/EVAT-Charging-Station-December2023.pdf

I can’t see the MG charger network there

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

7 minutes ago, JBChiangRai said:

I can’t see the MG charger network there

The chart/snapshot above didn't include the Notes area which explains why the MG charger network not being shown.

image.png.72508b26a7ff9a2eb6e4cd51d78b127d.png

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, KhunLA said:

More cherry pickin' BS ... as my car won't even accept 100kW.  Some, most would consider that as being a bit deceptive ...  :coffee1:

Keep repeating your BS, but few are dumb enough to believe it.

Try filtering 50kWh & up, and don't use the online site, use the app, as more up to date.  Better yet, use Charge Loma, even more up to date, though not completely, and you can simply filter the most popular 'fast plug'

As I've already posted:

image.png.aeec8a90a8a916df21cad4d9b1b1f700.png

That is a mind-boggling high density of charging station, presumably all build in the last 2 years.

Does the app show the total number of public charging stations, all sizes and speed included?

7 hours ago, JBChiangRai said:

What is important is the ratio of new EV's to new ICE.  I didn't consider a slump in the entire auto industry.  If the ratio starts to decrease over 3 months consecutively, then I will indeed concede EV's have a problem.

You have a new lease on life, based on your new EV market share metrics.

I have made a little chart, just for you. It was a close call in February and starting May the first ray of summer sun ☀️ might start to shine.

Screenshot_20240404_203251_Chart Maker.jpg

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

46 minutes ago, ExpatOilWorker said:

I have made a little chart, just for you. It was a close call in February and starting May the first ray of summer sun ☀️ might start to shine.

visual representation of data is always appreciated. I hope you keep it updated. 

The Dec’23 & Jan’24 figures have probably resulted in less EV sales in the early part of 2024.

A bunch of us in this discussion, myself included, purchased EVs at the end of last year to beat lowering of the EV incentives. 

8 hours ago, ExpatOilWorker said:

Of course,  but only with the right driver.

1397662391590.jpg

I'd have thought you'd be well over 220 at nearly 6,000 rpm. What's wrong!

2 hours ago, ExpatOilWorker said:

That is a mind-boggling high density of charging station, presumably all build in the last 2 years.

Does the app show the total number of public charging stations, all sizes and speed included?

You can filter different vendors and plugs, fast/slow.  I usually just filter the 4 we use;  EV Station Pluz, PEA Volta,. MG, , Elexa, in that order of preference.  Signed up for 2 others, but yet to use, Evolta and Altervim (@ Lotus's)

Map I posted shows all vendors, though most don't have a large network.  The app, Charge Loma is better than PlugShare & Gmaps, but not nearly up to date.  

If I'm thinking of stopping, I'll peek at the app, then ask the wife to check the vendor app, usually EV St. Pluz, and ask if both plugs are being use, at so and so, 10kms away. as only one showing within 30 or 40 kms, then she'll tell there's one 5 kms & 15kms away.  EV Stat Pluz is adding so fast the app can't keep up.  Seems to agree & have most of the PEA Volta CS.

Here's map of the 4 we use, along with just the one plug we use,  Not a whole lot different from previous map:

image.png.588ed19384e2b388b8beef842aceee73.png

With just these 5 filters, and don't bother with 'on maintenance' filter, as usually wrong:

image.png.d913bf5de7d816aa3c35c7ee185b1213.png

Edited by KhunLA
  • Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

5 hours ago, Pib said:

By using the DLT stats I can get the 5001 EV registered for March 2024 to match the autolifethailand article by adding the RY1 ,RY3, RY6, RY9, and RY10 categories.  Definition of the categories below.   

And before someone says the RY9 business category must have many vehicles, well, no it don't as there was only a total of 10 ICEV/EV in this category for March with 1 of the 10 registrations being an EV registration.....that 1 was an Aion model.

And yea, I don't think the journalist is identifying all the various RY categories being counted and the categories being counted has probably expanded over the last year as more EV manufacturers and models come to the Thai market. 

image.png.2f67c69201b6edcd3febaadc5f0e5de1.png

Thanks for the detailed explanation

DLT updated their website late yesterday with a new spreadsheet named Fuel_NewCar_Mar67

using the RY1 ,RY3, RY6, RY9, and RY10 categories. the total number of BEV registered in March was 5,004

DLT also make corrections to Fuel_NewCar_2023 where autolifethailand showed 76,314 BEV

and using the RY1 ,RY3, RY6, RY9, and RY10 categories. DLT is showing an extra 39 BEV vehicles 

2023 shows little interest in PHEV 

Diesel PHEV 208 registered in 2023

Petrol PHEV 11,495 registered in 2023

HEV are the 3rd most popular fuel choice after petrol and diesel with 84,229 registrations in 2023

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Pib said:

The chart/snapshot above didn't include the Notes area which explains why the MG charger network not being shown.

image.png.72508b26a7ff9a2eb6e4cd51d78b127d.png

If you can get hold of the MG card or app, you can use the MG fast chargers with other cars, they are just branded versions of one of the major networks, I forget which one, but I have used one on a non MG car without any problems.  You are supposed to be able to buy a card at MG but the one dealership I found wasn't able to get it working in the days before we got our first MG EV

10 hours ago, ExpatOilWorker said:

I prefer to keep it simple, I'm not interested in RY this or RY that, just plain simple statistics.  I do think what is important is whether people are turning to EV's or not, and the ratio of new registrations tells us if it's happening or not.

44 minutes ago, Gweiloman said:

All this talk above about sales figures are interesting but I don’t really consider it as very relevant when talking about whether EVs are a good purchase or not. What is ultimately most important is the owner’s’ experiences and whether he/she would recommend it to others and/or purchase another when the time comes.

i recently had some friends from Aus and Hkg visiting for a few days so I was ferrying the 6 of us all over CM, going for meals, shopping, massages etc. Some of the time, my other half (typical Thai girl size) would actually sit in the boot while 3 adults were in the back seat. When the boot was full with bags of goodies, then there would be 4 adults in the back row. This is easily possible without too much discomfort in an EV as there isn’t a transmission tunnel. A real positive in an EV compared to an ICEV.

When we got back to the AirBnb, I just plugged it in to charge for as long as we were stationary, saving time and expense along the way. Yet another positive over an ICEV.

For those genuinely researching EVs, this is the real world. Ignore the ignoramuses such as IQ72 and his obsolete supporters, some of whom I believe are secretly envious and their uneducated and sometimes bald faced lies about charging and so on. Real (not claimed Tesla) EV owners and drivers will tell you the unadulterated truth, warts and all.

I'm actually hoping sales level off, and mainly so the ratio of EVs on the road, and ratio of CSs remain the same, as long as they are still able to make a profit with numbers already available  & using.  

Along with no price war and more sales, keeping the value of our EV, higher, in case ever wanting to sell it, though doubtful.

Yea I know ... very selfish of me, but it is all about .... Me Me Me :cheesy:

If wanting to read about some real life experiences, there are 2 thread running, under used or viewed, and not trolled nearly as much.   The good, the annoyances, and even the bad, maybe.

Started by that super genius, in his own EV bubble world.

... owning

... Charging stations

Edited by KhunLA
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

10 minutes ago, JBChiangRai said:

When my 2 daughters started at University in Chiang Mai, we initially rented a house whilst we looked around for something to buy.

I asked the landlord if I could fit an external 32 amp socket for EV charging, with permission granted I paid an electrician to do that with a new 40 amp breaker in the consumer unit who charged me 3,000 baht.

Your landlord will probably allow you to do this as it adds value to the house and future tenants may well have EV's.

At our new house in Chiang Mai, we fitted the same 32 amp socket outside and used the same MG wallbox with the 32 amp plug I had wired to it, but this time we screwed it to our wall.

You could ask your landlord?

Ceeform 32A 230V Surface Mounted Socket - Industrial Femal Socket ...

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, idealistic123 said:

The only thing I don’t like is the interior.
But that’s just my personal taste. 

Also now available in black with Dark interior

IMG_1605.png.934c542f67c86506834fc3ccac51f918.png

IMG_1604.png.15e2d1ccf3737a8f147d88d6cb18dd9a.png

• Thumbs Up 1

13 hours ago, ExpatOilWorker said:

It would be useful to include HEV figures in your chart

2024 registrations figures to the end of March are

Total BEV 22,332
Total HEV 38,100

7 hours ago, vinny41 said:

Thanks for the detailed explanation

DLT updated their website late yesterday with a new spreadsheet named Fuel_NewCar_Mar67

using the RY1 ,RY3, RY6, RY9, and RY10 categories. the total number of BEV registered in March was 5,004

DLT also make corrections to Fuel_NewCar_2023 where autolifethailand showed 76,314 BEV

and using the RY1 ,RY3, RY6, RY9, and RY10 categories. DLT is showing an extra 39 BEV vehicles 

2023 shows little interest in PHEV 

Diesel PHEV 208 registered in 2023

Petrol PHEV 11,495 registered in 2023

HEV are the 3rd most popular fuel choice after petrol and diesel with 84,229 registrations in 2023

That's the spreadsheet I was using.  I just downloaded it again at 9:45am/today/5Apr and still get 5,001.  See the cells I have Excel totalling up which represent above mentioned RY categories.

image.png.d01681ab1c79923101debd8cdd533785.png

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, vinny41 said:

It would be useful to include HEV figures in your chart

2024 registrations figures to the end of March are

Total BEV 22,332
Total HEV 38,100

I think HEV figures are largely irrelevant but I do think PHEV is relevant.

Edited by JBChiangRai
Spellong
  • Agree 1