Electric Vehicles in Thailand

19 minutes ago, vinny41 said:

Not any more Toyota Yaris CROSS : 789,000 – 899,000 all 3 models are hybrid, Honda city HEV price starts from B769K

Carbon mandates in action...

• Agree 1

1 minute ago, KhunLA said:

NO, more like power to the people, as Big Oil has lost their 'total' control of the auto industry.  Consumers are demanding better for their money, and CH is delivering.   So the rest JP, then USA eventually, will have to adjust, or get left behind.

To much competition / free market now ... thankfully and about time.  A few more years, and hybrids will follow the all ICEVs,, into extinction, as BEV's range match & exceeds them, at an affordable price.

Big Oil still controls the MSM, (obvious by the trolling here) but the wallet & competition will finally win in the end.  Five years time, and I really can't see anyone buying ICEVs in the future.

For those still driving, they'll be paying a premium for that dinosaur fuel, as it turns into a niche market for dinosaurs.

That's hilarious. 

• Haha 1

On 4/5/2024 at 3:25 PM, ExpatOilWorker said:

@Pib, @Gweiloman

Do you then have to have a separate mobile package for the car's sim card and can you freely choose the service provider?

What is the monthly data usage?

Will the car work if you decide to remove the sim card and go "dark"?

On 4/5/2024 at 3:34 PM, Pib said:

The SIM that comes with my BYD Atto is provided free by BYD...and it's free service for 2 years...or maybe it's 4.  Then you can extended the service with BYD or switch to another SIM according to what the dealership told me.   The BYD SIM 2GB monthly limit (connects to AIS) which is much, much more than needed for basic communication.  Actually, when you want to make calls and stuff like that you would still be using your Smartphone's SIM via bluetooth/USD connection to the BYD infotainment system just like how it works on my 2009 Fortuner.  Yes, the car will continue to work without a SIM.

As little more info.   About an hour ago I remembered to go into the SIM settings again to hopefully see what is the telecommunication company name of the SIM card.   So, went into that area and it's a SingTel SIM and it was connected to AIS although it was also showing a bunch of True, DTAC, etc., towers which I may have been able to switch the connection to by manually selecting the cell service you wanted to hook to.  But I left it alone as in being connected to AIS as AIS has wide coverage across Thailand and SingTel (a Singapore company) owns 23% of AIS.

image.png.2dc1e41d7257ef99b8d45a1ec7e3e209.png

image.png.d9fef5c94265418356c1145fcd7288aa.png

Edited by Pib
  • Thanks 1
  • Agree 1

7 minutes ago, Yellowtail said:

That's hilarious. 

We shall see, as 5 yrs isn't that far away.   Battery prices are falling considerably, and when savings passed onto the consumer, EV priced will be cheaper, and range the same or exceed most ICEV.   

If they can perfect the Solid State batteries, then even better if produced at completive price. 

Electric motors have proved themselves as better.  Why hybrids use them.  Why I can't get my head around buying a hybrid.   Seems redundant and expensive, unless you do a lot of long distance driving, and have no patience at all.  Maybe outside of TH, it makes sense.  But the charging network here, and the ability to reserve your slot at charging stations, almost eliminated any Q issues ... almost, with planning.

• Sad 1
  • Agree 1

8 minutes ago, KhunLA said:

We shall see, as 5 yrs isn't that far away.   Battery prices are falling considerably, and when savings passed onto the consumer, EV priced will be cheaper, and range the same or exceed most ICEV.   

If they can perfect the Solid State batteries, then even better if produced at completive price. 

Electric motors have proved themselves as better.  Why hybrids use them.  Why I can't get my head around buying a hybrid.   Seems redundant and expensive, unless you do a lot of long distance driving, and have no patience at all.  Maybe outside of TH, it makes sense.  But the charging network here, and the ability to reserve your slot at charging stations, almost eliminated any Q issues ... almost, with planning.

We shall see what? We already see a 47% drop in BYD sales and even more stringent mandates against ICEVs. 

• Like 1
  • Confused 2
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, KhunLA said:

NO, more like power to the people, as Big Oil has lost their 'total' control of the auto industry.  Consumers are demanding better for their money, and CH is delivering.   So the rest JP, then USA eventually, will have to adjust, or get left behind.

To much competition / free market now ... thankfully and about time.  A few more years, and hybrids will follow the all ICEVs,, into extinction, as BEV's range match & exceeds them, at an affordable price.

Big Oil still controls the MSM, (obvious by the trolling here) but the wallet & competition will finally win in the end.  Five years time, and I really can't see anyone buying ICEVs in the future.

For those still driving, they'll be paying a premium for that dinosaur fuel, as it turns into a niche market for dinosaurs.

Hybrid will be around for quite a while as they also qualify for incentives

The Government of Thailand has instituted fiscal incentives designed to make hybrid vehicles more attainable for the general populace. Such initiatives include diminished taxation rates and subsidies aimed at encouraging a shift towards environmentally friendly automotive options. These efforts are indicative of a broader dedication to reducing the nation’s carbon emissions and fostering a market for clean transportation alternatives.

https://thethaiger.com/guides/automotive/are-hybrid-vehicles-the-smart-choice-for-thailands-future-mobility#:~:text=

• Agree 1

47 minutes ago, JBChiangRai said:

HEV's are more economical around town and in stop-start driving, they are slightly worse than non-HEV on long distance, runs because of the extra weight.

Again, One Swallow does not a Summer make.

Sales figures for BEV in Thailand for 2024 8,670

Sales figures for HEV in Thailand for 2024 23,958

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

36 minutes ago, JBChiangRai said:

Currently, I agree.

I don't consider HEV to be EV's, they are a useful gadget to reduce fuel consumption around town, most of them don't have an EV mode.

I agree - HEV's are a marketing tool at best. I remember on HWY's in CA, the carpool lane was crowded with Prius'es sailing down the road at 70 MPH - there was absolutely no benefit whatsoever for the hybrids....... alas, they were permitted to use the carpool lane as single occupant vehicles, and that made them immensely popular. Of course, in the owners twisted logic, they claimed stellar fuel efficiency, which is absolutely not the case. What helped the Prius fuel efficiency was light weight, skinny tires specially designed for low consumption, small, fuel efficient engine, and good aerodynamics - all attributes that could be done on a regular car, too.

For stop and go traffic in cities, hybrids do have tangible benefits.

Oh - I almost forgot, 'Prius' was also code for slow moving cars...... so any car on the road that held up a Sunday canyon run for us car crazies was called 'Prius' - even if it was a Porsche or Ferrari. 🤪🤣

Edited by mistral53
  • Agree 1

3 hours ago, Pib said:

As little more info.   About an hour ago I remembered to go into the SIM settings again to hopefully see what is the telecommunication company name of the SIM card.   So, went into that area and it's a SingTel SIM and it was connected to AIS although it was also showing a bunch of True, DTAC, etc., towers which I may have been able to switch the connection to by manually selecting the cell service you wanted to hook to.  But I left it alone as in being connected to AIS as AIS has wide coverage across Thailand and SingTel (a Singapore company) owns 23% of AIS.

image.png.2dc1e41d7257ef99b8d45a1ec7e3e209.png

image.png.d9fef5c94265418356c1145fcd7288aa.png

Thanks @Pib. I find that EV are always online intriguing, but also alarming. Of course our phones also collect data, but with the cars we have hardware, software, firmware and all data access rules made in China 🇨🇳

I assume the car don't have options as to what data are shared similar to what most phone apps have?

Is there any options to see what or even just how much data the car uploads?

Apparently the car manufacturer can remotely disable the car. It could be a handy feature for the repo-guy, but so far no reports of it happening in Thailand.....yet.

Edited by ExpatOilWorker

2 minutes ago, ExpatOilWorker said:

Thanks @Pib. I find that EV are always online intriguing, but also alarming. Of course our phones also collect data, but here we have hardware, software, firmware and all data access rules made in China 🇨🇳

I assume the car don't have options as to what data are shared similar to what most phone apps have?

Apparently the car manufacturer can remotely disable the car. It could be a handy feature for the repo-guy, but so far no reports of it happening in Thailand.....yet.

Then let's hope LOS doesn't buy Chinese EV military transport........😂

1 hour ago, vinny41 said:

Hybrid do reduce exhaust emissions and will be lower than similar petrol or diesel vehicles

There is still no solution for EV owners that are unable to charge at home

Lower emissions around town only, slightly worse on a long run.

1 hour ago, ExpatOilWorker said:

Thanks @Pib. I find that EV are always online intriguing, but also alarming. Of course our phones also collect data, but with the cars we have hardware, software, firmware and all data access rules made in China 🇨🇳

You could always remove the SIM card and then the CCP can't get to you if you don't join your home WiFi

• Like 2

1 hour ago, ExpatOilWorker said:

I'll take another look over the next few days regarding the data download/upload stuff.  You can see how much data each app has used but that's a combined download and upload....I'm seriously doubtful of a special setting/monitor that reports "upload" only.    Even many ICEV come with SIMs now days so their infotainment systems and associated apps to talk to the cloud.  I have no more worry over the EV being remotely disabled as I do my phone being remotely disabled---could either be disabled remotely--sure....that possibly has to be considered in today's internet world where even washing machines, refrigerators, etc., can connect to the internet.  

• Like 2

6 hours ago, JBChiangRai said:

HEV's are more economical around town and in stop-start driving, they are slightly worse than non-HEV on long distance, runs because of the extra weight.

Again, One Swallow does not a Summer make.

That HEVs get better mileage is generally true, but whether or not they are more economical would depend largely on the owner's driving habits. To be more economical, the improved mileage would have to be enough to offset the additional cost of the vehicle. 

• Agree 1

4 hours ago, mistral53 said:

I agree - HEV's are a marketing tool at best. I remember on HWY's in CA, the carpool lane was crowded with Prius'es sailing down the road at 70 MPH - there was absolutely no benefit whatsoever for the hybrids....... alas, they were permitted to use the carpool lane as single occupant vehicles, and that made them immensely popular. Of course, in the owners twisted logic, they claimed stellar fuel efficiency, which is absolutely not the case. What helped the Prius fuel efficiency was light weight, skinny tires specially designed for low consumption, small, fuel efficient engine, and good aerodynamics - all attributes that could be done on a regular car, too.

For stop and go traffic in cities, hybrids do have tangible benefits.

Oh - I almost forgot, 'Prius' was also code for slow moving cars...... so any car on the road that held up a Sunday canyon run for us car crazies was called 'Prius' - even if it was a Porsche or Ferrari. 🤪🤣

HEVs help manufacturers meet carbon mandates, that's why they were developed. 

• Agree 1