Electric Vehicles in Thailand

1 hour ago, retarius said:

tf, course, They have a hybrid option. Toyota decide years ago that Evenly were not going to be viable and invested solely in hybrids. They were the only company to do so, and now all the other manufacturers are playing catch up. 

I don't get the "hybrid". IMO woke people buy an EV because they think they are saving the planet, but a hybrid is just as polluting as a normal ICE car when using the ICE motor.

• Confused 1
  • Haha 1

Just now, thaibeachlovers said:

I don't get the "hybrid". IMO woke people buy an EV because they think they are saving the planet, but a hybrid is just as polluting as a normal ICE car when using the ICE motor.

Yah, but people who buy hybdrids will get the best of both worlds, reduced fuel costs plus range. I can see the attraction. And there's some great hybrids made by Lexus.

• Like 1

Just now, Cameroni said:

Yah, but people who buy hybdrids will get the best of both worlds, reduced fuel costs plus range. I can see the attraction. And there's some great hybrids made by Lexus.

All of which cost far too much for most people in countries like NZ. I guess in LOS they still give those super cheap loans to buy new cars, as I can't see Somchai in Nakon Nowhere buying an EV any time soon without one.

3 minutes ago, Cameroni said:

Hybrids only work around town.  On a long journey they don't help at all.

• Agree 1

2 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

All of which cost far too much for most people in countries like NZ. I guess in LOS they still give those super cheap loans to buy new cars, as I can't see Somchai in Nakon Nowhere buying an EV any time soon without one.

Yes, the good hybdrids are expensive, but marvels of engineering. I owned a Lexus hybrid and was very happy with the performance.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

3 minutes ago, Cameroni said:

What? Would you care to disclose your reasoning?

Sure.

Hybrids work by capturing the energy used in braking.  If you're on a long trip, you're mostly cruising at a constant speed and not using the brakes so there is no energy to capture.

mpg will be similar to a non-hybrid car with this style of driving.

• Agree 1

16 minutes ago, Cameroni said:

but they also experience the worst of internal combustion engines, such as:

- fuel dependency
- maintenance costs
- noise pollution
- limited efficiency
- environmental impact

• Haha 1

Just now, motdaeng said:

but they also experience the worst of internal combustion engines, such as:

- fuel dependency
- maintenance costs
- noise pollution
- limited efficiency
- environmental impact

You missed that they are about 130 times more likely to catch fire than an EV.

• Love It 1
  • Haha 1

10 minutes ago, JBChiangRai said:

Sure.

Hybrids work by capturing the energy used in braking.  If you're on a long trip, you're mostly cruising at a constant speed and not using the brakes so there is no energy to capture.

mpg will be similar to a non-hybrid car with this style of driving.

Yah, but that's not the full story. Many hybrid systems will run the gas engine at a higher speed than needed, but one that's efficient, and use the extra power to run a motor-generator that can then feed power to the battery or directly to a traction motor. 

Plus the hybrid is more economical on long distances: 

Take the 2025 Honda Civic Hybrid as an example; it uses the same 2.0-liter four-cylinder engine as the nonhybrid Civic but swaps in a hybrid transmission packing a pair of electric motors. The nonhybrid model's best fuel-economy ratings are 32 mpg in the city and 41 on the highway. Adding the hybrid gear raises both figures, which come in at 50 mpg in the city and 47 on the highway. So while the city number gets a bigger boost and surpasses the highway figure thanks to the hybrid system, the hybrid has a fuel-economy benefit regardless of where and how it's driven.

https://www.caranddriver.com/features/a61730444/are-hybrids-good-for-long-distance-driving/

Whats more, with a hybrid you can just stop and refuel as there's petrol stations everywhere. With a BEV that's somewhat different.

Edited by Cameroni
  • Agree 1

2 minutes ago, Cameroni said:

Yah, but that's not the full story. Many hybrid systems will run the gas engine at a higher speed than needed, but one that's efficient, and use the extra power to run a motor-generator that can then feed power to the battery or directly to a traction motor. 

A PHEV somewhat makes sense. But not a HEV.  Aside from the regen braking a HEV is stealing power from the motor. It doesn't matter how magically efficient this engine is it is not magic, so there are many inefficiencies and losses to move power from the ICE to a battery. WHy not have a PHEV where there aren't these losses, you are putting electricity directly in to the battery (and topping up with regen braking).

Don't tell me you believe the "self charging hybrid" myth. Next thign you'll be telling us about transam's magic new engines that are going to DESTROY THE EV FUTURE!!!!

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, josephbloggs said:

A PHEV somewhat makes sense. But not a HEV.  Aside from the regen braking a HEV is stealing power from the motor. It doesn't matter how magically efficient this engine is it is not magic, so there are many inefficiencies and losses to move power from the ICE to a battery. WHy not have a PHEV where there aren't these losses, you are putting electricity directly in to the battery (and topping up with regen braking).

Don't tell me you believe the "self charging hybrid" myth. Next thign you'll be telling us about transam's magic new engines that are going to DESTROY THE EV FUTURE!!!!

The hybrid motor is not magical to be sure, but it is a nice option which gives you greater fuel economy but still the option for long range driving without BEV range anxiety because the Hybrid can just fuel at any petrol station, whereas the BEV, well, we all know the issue.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Cameroni said:

Plus the hybrid is more economical on long distances: 

Take the 2025 Honda Civic Hybrid as an example; it uses the same 2.0-liter four-cylinder engine as the nonhybrid Civic but swaps in a hybrid transmission packing a pair of electric motors. The nonhybrid model's best fuel-economy ratings are 32 mpg in the city and 41 on the highway. Adding the hybrid gear raises both figures, which come in at 50 mpg in the city and 47 on the highway. So while the city number gets a bigger boost and surpasses the highway figure thanks to the hybrid system, the hybrid has a fuel-economy benefit regardless of where and how it's driven.

https://www.caranddriver.com/features/a61730444/are-hybrids-good-for-long-distance-driving/

Whats more, with a hybrid you can just stop and refuel as there's petrol stations everywhere. With a BEV that's somewhat different.

The Honda Civic Hybrid is a special case.  It's more like the Diesel-Electric locomotives that were used in the UK.

IIRC, the car is only driven by an electric motor and the ICE engine is used as a generator.  I think it's also an Atkinson Cycle engine which improves economy at the expense of outright power.

If you drive at a constant speed on a motorway, your fuel consumption in a hybrid will be no different (or worse) than the same engine without Hybrid.  It needs you to brake to become more efficient.

• Sad 1

9 minutes ago, JBChiangRai said:

The Honda Civic Hybrid is a special case.  It's more like the Diesel-Electric locomotives that were used in the UK.

IIRC, the car is only driven by an electric motor and the ICE engine is used as a generator.  I think it's also an Atkinson Cycle engine which improves economy at the expense of outright power.

If you drive at a constant speed on a motorway, your fuel consumption in a hybrid will be no different (or worse) than the same engine without Hybrid.  It needs you to brake to become more efficient.

I really don't get the hybrid (redundant engine) thingy.  Unless a PHEV, with good size battery, so you can do all you local driving on electric. Then just having an ICE just for O&A seems a bit daft .. IMHO

Along with the extra costs for the extra ICE :coffee1:  Spend the extra for the largest battery BEV, if wanting more range.

• Haha 1
  • Agree 1

What sort of quote was this?

From over 2 years ago and not showing the car in question?

IMG_6881.jpeg.57b2e873b2b261efd0fc921b88475375.jpeg

Turns out he was for referring to the MG EP a car that has been superseded by the  ES version and that was over a year ago so we are not talking about the latest technology. 

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Haha 1

44 minutes ago, JBChiangRai said:

You missed that they are about 130 times more likely to catch fire than an EV.

But, but, but according to the Cherry 🍒 farmer a plug-in hybrid is an EV, at least for propaganda purpose in China 🇨🇳

So EV burn 🔥 130x that of an EV???

Must be pretty flammable 

• Confused 2

48 minutes ago, JBChiangRai said:

That's not true. 

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, thaibeachlovers said:

A car called a Seal :cheesy: or a Sealion. How woke can they get? Will we be getting the Petal, or the Tiara any time soon?

IMG_6882.png.0312063eaf996712d0be7c15ead39f45.png

There is a clear relationship between a lack of education and not understanding EVs. 

You don’t get EVs, that’s fine, don’t buy one. You would probably find the apps and charging thing a bit of a challenge anyway.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Bandersnatch said:

IMG_6882.png.0312063eaf996712d0be7c15ead39f45.png

There is a clear relationship between a lack of education and not understanding EVs. 

You don’t get EVs, that’s fine, don’t buy one. You would probably find the apps and charging thing a bit of a challenge anyway.

here is a clear relationship between a lack of education and not understanding what other people write. I never said anything about not understanding EVs.

• Confused 1
  • Haha 1
  • Agree 1

42 minutes ago, JBChiangRai said:

I agree, I see a Hybrid as a gimmick, PHEV's have some benefit, not least giving owners the confidence to go full EV next time.

Hybrids are not a gimmick. They are just a way for manufacturers to meet government milage mandates. 

• Haha 2