Electric Vehicles in Thailand

26 minutes ago, Cameroni said:

Well, your first sentence was correct. But of course the hybrid has real practical benefits, it's not a "feel good" purchase. The benefits are of course reduced fuel costs and avoiding the range anxiety which BEV drivers would have, because you can fuel up a hybrid at any petrol station. You can't do the same with a BEV. A hybrid makes a lot of sense for a lot of people, as the sales figures show.

The risk with a Hybrid car is that it catches fire.  They are approximately 130 times more likely to do that than a BEV.

• Love It 1
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, Cameroni said:

Well, your first sentence was correct. But of course the hybrid has real practical benefits, it's not a "feel good" purchase. The benefits

are of course reduced fuel costs and avoiding the range anxiety which BEV drivers would have, because you can fuel up a hybrid at

any petrol station. You can't do the same with a BEV. A hybrid makes a lot of sense for a lot of people, as the sales figures show.

"Why Hybrid Cars Might Be More Expensive in the Long Run:

Hybrid cars, which utilize both electric motors and petrol/diesel engines for power, are often promoted as an eco-friendly choice.

However, these cars may end up costing you more due to their high price and less-than-stellar real-world fuel economy. While hybrids

can be incredibly fuel-efficient in city driving, longer trips on highways may not be as efficient as anticipated."

https://vorsprung.com/blogs/blog/why-hybrid-cars-might-be-more-expensive-in-the-long-run?srsltid=AfmBOooyBB20KhAfvNZFkPAR8oXsBA7BJmi4EZ2bTI6Ob6vLvCsAYAKF

i'm pretty sure that most hybrid owners have no real understanding of how a hybrid works or how to drive it to get the optimal efficiency.

in my opinion, hybrid cars are a cleverly packaged deception, and no one of the buyers really seems to care about it ... 

if you don't mind, i'll borrow your statement: "A hybrid fully electric car makes a lot of sense for a lot of people, as the sales figures show."

and by the way, ev owners don't spend much time at petrol stations since 90-95% of charging is done at home,

except for those without a home charger or delivery drivers on the go ... :smile:

• Haha 1
  • Agree 1

2 hours ago, JBChiangRai said:

The risk with a Hybrid car is that it catches fire.  They are approximately 130 times more likely to do that than a BEV.

Thai EV fire 🔥 risk: 9.2 fire/billion miles

Tesla global: 5 fire/billion miles

ICE (USA): 55 fire/billion miles

1. Tesla 3 - September 20th, 2021, power pole collision Rama 2, Bangkok.

2. BYD Atto 3 - January 21st, 2023, house fire, Songkran. Traction battery did not burn.

3. BYD Seal - March 14th, 2024, Ratchaburi roll-over.

4. Porsche Taycan - May 24th, 2024, battery explosion, Paradise Car Showroom, Bangkok.

5. Neta-V - June 11th, 2024, median accident and fire, Saraburi.

6. Neta-V - June 12th, 2024, accident and fire at towing area, Tha Phra, Khon Kaen.

7. MG ES - June 22nd, 2024, hit axle part on the road, Chonburi motorway.

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, Bandersnatch said:

@Cameroni we have indulged your questions about hybrid cars long enough.

A 1kWh NiMH battery does not an EV make and this discussion is “EVs in Thailand”

Hybrids are 99% ICE cars 

Please start your own discussion about hybrids and not try to hijack this discussion.

Thank you 

If you don't like hybrids,  why share sales statistics from China including hybrids?? 🤔 

1 hour ago, motdaeng said:

"Why Hybrid Cars Might Be More Expensive in the Long Run:

Hybrid cars, which utilize both electric motors and petrol/diesel engines for power, are often promoted as an eco-friendly choice.

However, these cars may end up costing you more due to their high price and less-than-stellar real-world fuel economy. While hybrids

can be incredibly fuel-efficient in city driving, longer trips on highways may not be as efficient as anticipated."

https://vorsprung.com/blogs/blog/why-hybrid-cars-might-be-more-expensive-in-the-long-run?srsltid=AfmBOooyBB20KhAfvNZFkPAR8oXsBA7BJmi4EZ2bTI6Ob6vLvCsAYAKF

i'm pretty sure that most hybrid owners have no real understanding of how a hybrid works or how to drive it to get the optimal efficiency.

in my opinion, hybrid cars are a cleverly packaged deception, and no one of the buyers really seems to care about it ... 

if you don't mind, i'll borrow your statement: "A hybrid fully electric car makes a lot of sense for a lot of people, as the sales figures show."

and by the way, ev owners don't spend much time at petrol stations since 90-95% of charging is done at home,

except for those without a home charger or delivery drivers on the go ... :smile:

Achtung, zhe Germans has entered the Thai EV stage. 

From outback Australia to the Fatherland hybrids has really expanded the EV horizon of our local team.

Let's go global?

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1

On 8/21/2024 at 4:52 PM, ExpatOilWorker said:

Tesla makes their own batteries, right?

How come they are not in ur list?

From Nasdaq.com: What company makes Tesla's batteries? Tesla works with multiple battery suppliers, including Panasonic, its longtime partner, as well as LG Energy Solutions, the second largest battery supplier in the world. They supply the EV maker with cells containing nickel and cobalt.

• Like 1

On 8/21/2024 at 3:15 PM, Yellowtail said:

AKA station wagon

Still with those silly large wheels and higher ground clearance. Plus higher center of gravity.

I'd buy a regular hatchback or sedan anytime over a SUV

• Haha 2

2 minutes ago, CLW said:

Still with those silly large wheels and higher ground clearance. Plus higher center of gravity.

Yes, everyone hates higher ground clearance. What a horrible advantage to have on the roads.

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, CLW said:

1 minute ago, Cameroni said:

Yes, everyone hates higher ground clearance. What a horrible advantage to have on the roads.

I don't like SUV's either.

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, JBChiangRai said:

I'll take comedy over ignorance any day.

You must not get on well with yourself then. Weren't you the one ignorantly claiming so many falsehoods in that other thread?

• Confused 1
  • Agree 1

18 hours ago, josephbloggs said:

Yes, driving at maximum throttle over a hilly 20kms is going to hammer the battery just as it would hammer the fuel tank of a high performance ICEV,

Absolute garbage. Literally lies. Countless ICE vehicles have done the  Nuernburg Ring course without the fuel tank causing issues. Literally thousands.

However, the electric Tesla flagship tries it and the brakes are on fire and the car massively overheats.

Clearly, electric cars are not what they're cracked up to be. Real life testing proves it.

https://www.drive.com.au/news/video-tesla-model-3-performance-nurburgring/

• Confused 3
  • Haha 1
  • Agree 1

46 minutes ago, JBChiangRai said:

You've lost me

A lost EV soul wondering in darkness.

Let me guide your way sweet summer child.

This gloat fix is on me.

BeYond Discount or as coined by Pib the 1,000 lbs gorilla, had $1.27 billion profit on 986.720 vehicle deliveries in Q2 2024 or $1,287 profit/vehicle. Not bad at all.

Our earlier exchange on the subject.

Screenshot_20240831_153535_Chrome.jpg

2 hours ago, Cameroni said:

Absolute garbage. Literally lies. Countless ICE vehicles have done the  Nuernburg Ring course without the fuel tank causing issues. Literally thousands.

However, the electric Tesla flagship tries it and the brakes are on fire and the car massively overheats.

Clearly, electric cars are not what they're cracked up to be. Real life testing proves it.

https://www.drive.com.au/news/video-tesla-model-3-performance-nurburgring/

From your silly link ... 

"About 30 seconds later – as the car reaches speeds in excess of 200km/h"

So, if I drive the speed limit, if possible, say 90 kph on most highways in TH, do you think I'll be OK ????????

Only asking as you seem to be an BEV expert with lots of experience ...

:cheesy:

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Haha 1