Electric Vehicles in Thailand

On 4/22/2022 at 11:14 AM, steve187 said:

i have been looking at a new suv, was thinking of hybrid, or ev, as the price of some brands have been reduced,

but ev's mg zs ev, havel, etc. are ok for short running about trips, but have a restricted distance, and no national network of charging ports, at home in some cases an extra electric metre is required, and for some households impossible to get a charging point fitted. condo's etc

hybrid nissan kicks, honda hrv etc. no problem with charging but, how good is the technology and is the increase mpg worth the possible future problems, 

in my mind the industry needs to improve as it will in the future, but for now buying maybe my last new car i think its worth sticking with the old reliable (not always), but been arounfd for a long time. so it ice for me

1 hour ago, no deal said:

Hello can you be more specific about what you said for in some case we need a other meter for electric car charger,thank you.

You are replying to a very old post, so maybe better to ask the questions you want answers to.

Most EVs in Thailand come with a free wall charger. You can apply for a second meter with cheap overnight rate (TOU)  

E7A0B592-3BFE-4FD2-827A-FC1BFAD0AD40.jpeg.ecc8ac28c4f0a0defd2f30131740141d.jpeg

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Bandersnatch said:

Here in Surin not only do we have EAA chargers at Robinson, MG chargers at the MG dealer. I have been told that Great Wall will be installing a charger at their dealer here. PEA told me that a EV charger is coming to their main office soon.

Yesterday I stopped at my local PTT for a visit to 7-11 and I noticed a brand new PTT EV charger

20220829_075221301_iOS.thumb.jpg.7dd5e47b5634230cb3520176a7a66519.jpg

20220829_075352141_iOS.thumb.jpg.3bab633dfe5004ca5d8c2d2573f90fa8.jpg

20220829_075403548_iOS.thumb.jpg.f08d64d4effce956262789ba83412be1.jpg

Charging speed:

20220829_075508547_iOS.thumb.jpg.6ab84ded69323c25876f267bf17562dd.jpg

I downloaded the app and signed up for an account. You can pay by debit or credit card. 

20220830_042439000_iOS.thumb.png.693f021017307a1256057ccfc31e1213.png 

20220830_042256000_iOS.thumb.png.0bba9f5a25318ffadd16811a4cea673c.png

EV Station PluZ on-peak TOU rate from 9am to 10pm will be 7.5 baht per unit of power while the off-peak rate from 10pm to 9am will be 4.5 baht.

The off-peak rate will extend for 24 hours during weekends and government holidays, EV Station Pluz announced.

To book charging time at a PTT EV station, motorists must download the EV Station PluZ app. Each booking costs 20 baht but this fee is returned as a discount if motorists use the service within 10 minutes of booking.

PTT currently has about 190 EV stations across the country but this will be expanded to 450 by the end of the year.

https://www.nationthailand.com/business/40017322

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Here's food for thought.  I see more CS available with shorter distances between, than PTT stations offering E85 ????

Seriously, it's a challenge sometimes. An EV for me, when out & about, will be so much better.  Ok, I could easily put 91 in, but it runs better on E85 and the savings (minor now) doesn't hurt.

• Haha 1

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2022-09-08/china-s-byd-signs-land-deal-to-build-first-ev-plant-in-thailand

The plant is expected to start operation in 2024 and have annual capacity of 150,000 vehicles, mostly for export to Southeast Asia and Europe

The site covers 96 hectares (237 acres)

“More EV supply chain will follow BYD here,” 

BYD plans to invest 30 billion baht in production of electric vehicles. 

BYD, backed by Warren Buffett’s Berkshire Hathaway Inc., is among the latest companies to take advantage of the Thai government’s tax incentives, a key part of a plan to make Thailand the EV production hub of Southeast Asia. The Thai government earlier this year allocated about 43 billion baht through 2025 to promote the use of EVs as part of the effort.

• Like 1

On 9/7/2022 at 12:50 PM, Bandersnatch said:

https://www.reuters.com/business/autos-transportation/thailands-wha-chinas-byd-announce-plans-ev-plant-thailand-2022-09-06/

WHA Group, the Thai industrial estate developer, said on Tuesday that it and China's BYD are set to announce plans for an electric vehicle (EV) manufacturing facility in Thailand.

The two companies will hold a joint news conference on plans for an EV facility in an industrial estate in Rayong on Thursday, 

BYD expects to start selling EVs in Thailand later this year

I would definitely consider the BYD Tang if available for sale now but I doubt if it will be available for sale within this year. The Haval H6 should be available for booking within this month I believe.

On 8/28/2022 at 9:30 AM, Bandersnatch said:

It looks like the BYD Han and Tang will not be coming to Thailand.

"But everything we're bringing in the right-hand-drive market is either on the 3.0 platform or future platforms, where the Han and the Tang are built on a different platform that is not coming to right-hand-drive markets.

"It's billions of dollars to change a product from left-hand drive to right-hand drive. When we started the journey with BYD three-odd years ago about bringing right-hand-drive cars into the country, it was quickly identified that we're better off investing into the future platforms, rather than the existing platforms."

https://www.drive.com.au/news/byd-han-tang-song-ruled-out-for-australia/

BYD Han:

spacer.png

BYD Tang:

spacer.png

@Gweiloman 

2 hours ago, Gweiloman said:

would definitely consider the BYD Tang if available for sale now but I doubt if it will be available for sale within this year.

Unfortunately not available. The BYD Seal is my choice 

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, Gweiloman said:

Again, a bit too small for my needs. The H6 is a C-SUV.

Doesnt seem to be a huge difference in size

Haval H6 measures 4,653 mm in length, 1,886 mm in width, 1,724 mm in height

Atto 3       measures 4,455 mm in length, 1,875 mm in width, 1,615 mm in height

H6 Length 7.79 inches longer width 0.4 inches wider and 4.29 inches taller

If size is important have you considered Mazda CX-8

Mazda CX-8 = L4,900 x W1,840 x H1,740

• Like 2

50 minutes ago, vinny41 said:

Doesnt seem to be a huge difference in size

Haval H6 measures 4,653 mm in length, 1,886 mm in width, 1,724 mm in height

Atto 3       measures 4,455 mm in length, 1,875 mm in width, 1,615 mm in height

H6 Length 7.79 inches longer width 0.4 inches wider and 4.29 inches taller

If size is important have you considered Mazda CX-8

Mazda CX-8 = L4,900 x W1,840 x H1,740

19 minutes ago, vinny41 said:

Or wait until December 2022 

• NETA U Pro : 4,530 x 1,860 x 1,628 mm / wheelbase 2,770 mm.
  • Can run up to 610 km. per charge (NEDC standard)

Thanks for all the above info. Very useful indeed. I will do some research on boot storage capacity, back seats up and down. That’s my main criteria as I have 4 dogs (large, medium and small x2) that travels everywhere with us.

2 hours ago, Gweiloman said:

Again, a bit too small for my needs. The H6 is a C-SUV.

Scratch the MG ZS (BEV) also, and I'm actually surprised it's called an SUV, 'crossover', at some links.  Rating & labels get a bit silly at times.

The Atto 3 has a bit more cargo space when seats are down, 1340 L vs 1100 L.

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, Gweiloman said:

Thanks for all the above info. Very useful indeed. I will do some research on boot storage capacity, back seats up and down. That’s my main criteria as I have 4 dogs (large, medium and small x2) that travels everywhere with us.

Can't provide you with boot storage capacity, Most reviews tend not to provide that information.

I do recall my father used to own a Toyota Yaris Verso ( not a very good looking car) not much larger than a standard size Yaris 3.86m long, 1.69m wide and 1.6m tall with back seats stored into the floor and 3rd seat removed it did provide  2160 litres of storage space.

When you do your research I suggest you compare the Byd blade battery vs everything else ( Given that the most expensive component in a BEV is the battery)

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, vinny41 said:

Can't provide you with boot storage capacity, Most reviews tend not to provide that information.

I do recall my father used to own a Toyota Yaris Verso ( not a very good looking car) not much larger than a standard size Yaris 3.86m long, 1.69m wide and 1.6m tall with back seats stored into the floor and 3rd seat removed it did provide  2160 litres of storage space.

When you do your research I suggest you compare the Byd blade battery vs everything else ( Given that the most expensive component in a BEV is the battery)

If I’m not mistaken, BYD supplies Tesla only with its batteries, apart from their own vehicles. Most other manufacturers use the CATL batteries but I could (and most probably am) mistaken.

I really like the claim that BYD batteries don’t explode even after being punctured.

• Like 2

55 minutes ago, KhunLA said:

Scratch the MG ZS (BEV) also, and I'm actually surprised it's called an SUV, 'crossover', at some links.  Rating & labels get a bit silly at times.

The Atto 3 has a bit more cargo space when seats are down, 1340 L vs 1100 L.

The MG HS PHEV is even bigger than the SS but still smaller than the H6 (at least from the looks of it). But my main criticism of the HS is that it runs on the more expensive Ron 95.

The H6 has about 1600 litres of space when the seats are down. That’s sufficient for my dogs AND luggage for a 2-3 week trip.

Edited by Gweiloman

13 minutes ago, Gweiloman said:

But my main criticism of the HS is that it runs on the more expensive Ron 95

The concern with a PHEV is that the ICE engine may not be used for long periods of time. Generally, the higher the ethanol content the shorter the shelf life of the fuel. So a lower ethanol content like 95 is recommended rather than E20

2 hours ago, Bandersnatch said:

The concern with a PHEV is that the ICE engine may not be used for long periods of time. Generally, the higher the ethanol content the shorter the shelf life of the fuel. So a lower ethanol content like 95 is recommended rather than E20

Interesting. What do you think about this guys’ opinion?

In any case, with an EV only mileage of about 8- km, I think there is very little risk that the petrol in a MG HS PHEV will go stale. It doesn’t have a high performance engine so I think they made a rather big boo boo there.

25 minutes ago, Gweiloman said:

Interesting. What do you think about this guys’ opinion?

In any case, with an EV only mileage of about 8- km, I think there is very little risk that the petrol in a MG HS PHEV will go stale. It doesn’t have a high performance engine so I think they made a rather big boo boo there.

Sorry didn't watch the video. "Auto Expert" is an EV hater and his vids are thrown up as evidence. 

• Like 2

12 hours ago, Gweiloman said:

The H6 has about 1600 litres of space when the seats are down. That’s sufficient for my dogs AND luggage for a 2-3 week trip.

the volvo xc40 recharge is a nice car, but even with a roof-box maybe not what you are looking for ...

01.png

02.png

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Bandersnatch said:

"Auto Expert" is an EV hater and his vids are thrown up as evidence. 

Nonsense. He is an automotive engineer, who posts the truth.

Looking forward to a step by step analysis of why what he states is not true ...

1 hour ago, seedy said:

Nonsense. He is an automotive engineer, who posts the truth.

Looking forward to a step by step analysis of why what he states is not true ...

He' so bias, nothing he states can be taken seriously.  Are EVs perfect, of course not.  Better than their ICE counterparts, yes, in every way, as long as you don't need the range every day, or you have deep deep pockets for the 7-8-900-1000 km vehicles in the works.

Only people bashing EVs are the most ignorant, OR ... people highly 'vested' in ICEs.  That's a bit too obvious.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

28 minutes ago, KhunLA said:

He' so bias, nothing he states can be taken seriously.  Are EVs perfect, of course not.  Better than their ICE counterparts, yes, in every way, as long as you don't need the range every day, or you have deep deep pockets for the 7-8-900-1000 km vehicles in the works.

Only people bashing EVs are the most ignorant, OR ... people highly 'vested' in ICEs.  That's a bit too obvious.

More Nonsense. The problem as I see it is that people have this 'Rose Colored' view of EV's, and any attempt to publish real world figures of their performance - or lack thereof - is taken by the Faithful as some kind of 'Bias' - to use your own word.

Still waiting for a step by step analysis and refutation of any of the points he has raised.

Instead what I see is the persistent 'Name Calling' of anyone who does not subscribe to their views as 'Ignorant, et al' to use your own word - again.