Forum upgrade in progress! ×

Electric Vehicles in Thailand

On 8/16/2022 at 2:40 PM, KhunLA said:

I'm sure they all need maintenance sooner or later, as does all gadgets. 

But a couple out of 120 some CS...hmm, reality isn't quite as exciting as BS

Drama from:  "Was watching some videos about ev charging in Thailand and it seems that some MG dealers"  .... reads like an Anti-EV'er watching anti ev vids, and wanting to show them in a bad light ... typical, I heard it from a friend who's friends knows EV are bad and you can never charge them on the road ????

"I was watching some videos" ...  was enough to get me to ignore the reply

Could be a charging unit issue, brown out from PEA, PEA blackout due to weather or other PEA issue.  Something as simple as an internet issue, needed for app to function or receive payment.

Been to plenty of vendors temporarily 'shut' down due to simple power outage.  Petrol pump, computer/registers off ... NO POWER.

You obviously think that I’m trolling. That’s fine, you can think whatever you like. For those that are interested in a serious discussion, you might like to watch the video I was referring to. A YouTuber known as thailand electric car. European who owns a MG ZS EV. Be warned though, it’s a rather long video.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, Bandersnatch said:

So working through the video.

His first stop was after 250km with only 5% battery remaining. I would have added a 20 minute stop before this and added 100km of range while getting a free coffee and cake at an MG dealer at Chonburi.

His second stop on the way back was at Chonburi - he could have stopped at the MG dealer there, where they could have given him help, but he choses PEA Volta which he has never used before as he says "Charger only works with a card not with my app" 

Driving an EV and neither you nor your partner having a credit car I think is not a good idea.

I have a planet SCB Visa Credit card that I preload by transferring funds from my main SCB account. I use it with EA Anywhere chargers.  

He then "searching for next charger" but he drives past an MG dealer open 24 hours a day with a fast charger to get to another PEA Volta

Stops because he forgot to close the charging flap!

Second PEA Volta same problem  "Charger only works with a card not with my app"  

"I go crazy"  - maybe because he doesn't have a card. 

I want to know if he has ever used PEA Volta before. I would have tested them out first on a local run.

He goes back to the MG dealer "Charger cannot connect to the car. Connection problem!" Did the app MG say that the charger was working? 

He then goes to an EGAT charger but says he needs an EGAT card which he doesn't have  - get one before you go on a long journey! 

Just checked and EGAT uses the EleXa app that you load with your card info - I think that this is all the same problem most chargers need a credit not debit card.

Next charger is FN outlet that is closed  - check opening times on the app.

Next charger  - Robinson  - closed for renovations - check opening times on the app before driving there.

Next charger MG, but battery flat on his phone. Chargers phone at MG dealer then charges his car! Charges for only 15 minutes so he can drive home.

Gasohol stations in Thailand take cash and there is someone there to fill your car up.

EV Charging stations do not take cash  - they have different apps and are self service - for sure they will be more difficult to use and for some too difficult to use.

I just fast forwarded to his text portion of vid, and obvious he doesn't know what the vendors require before using.  If a card, well I guess you should have got one prior to popping in to use.  Taking battery down to such low level just shows he isn't that smart to begin with.

Pretty much his experiences in life come down to 'user error'

• Like 2

9 hours ago, KhunLA said:

I just fast forwarded to his text portion of vid, and obvious he doesn't know what the vendors require before using.  If a card, well I guess you should have got one prior to popping in to use.  Taking battery down to such low level just shows he isn't that smart to begin with.

Pretty much his experiences in life come down to 'user error'

Also reference to Bandersnatch’s post.

I fully agree that he should have planned his trip much better. There were times when I was tearing my hair out watching him “blunder” from one charger to the next.

But if I’m not mistaken, there were 2 times when he was trying to charge at MG dealers where they told him that charging was only possible at a later hour so my original post was whether this was a conscious decision being made by the dealers to save on their electric bills (on peak and off peak hours).

7 hours ago, Gweiloman said:

Also reference to Bandersnatch’s post.

I fully agree that he should have planned his trip much better. There were times when I was tearing my hair out watching him “blunder” from one charger to the next.

But if I’m not mistaken, there were 2 times when he was trying to charge at MG dealers where they told him that charging was only possible at a later hour so my original post was whether this was a conscious decision being made by the dealers to save on their electric bills (on peak and off peak hours).

Unless rates have changed recently, MG always charged more during peak times

Charging fees are 6.5 baht per kilowatt-hour during the off-peak hours and 7.5 baht per kilowatt-hour during peak hours 

• Like 1

Comparing Neta V with Suzuki Swift

The EV is cheaper to buy and cheaper to run and with 62% more torque more fun to drive, and with a V2L power output function, the Neta V EV can also power your gear when needed.

Suzuki Swift 1197 cc 
83 PS
Torque 108 Nm

0-100kph 13secs
23 km/L
4.3L/100km 
E20 36.84 Baht/L
158Baht/100km

PRICE
GL 567,000
GL PLUS 572,000
GLX 637,000

https://www.bangkokpost.com/auto/review/2271091/no-frills-fun

Neta V

Price 549,000

0-100kph 12.6 secs
76 PS
Torque 175 Nm 

9.6 kWh/100km

TOU rate (over night) 2.6 Baht/kWh 
24.9 Baht/100km

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Bandersnatch said:

The EV is cheaper to buy and cheaper to run and with 62% more torque more fun to drive, and with a V2L power output function, the Neta V EV can also power your gear when needed.

Suzuki Swift 1197 cc 
83 PS
Torque 108 Nm

0-100kph 13secs
23 km/L
4.3L/100km 
E20 36.84 Baht/L
158Baht/100km

PRICE
GL 567,000
GL PLUS 572,000
GLX 637,000

Neta V

Price 549,000

0-100kph 12.6 secs
76 PS
Torque 175 Nm 

9.6 kWh/100km

24.9 Baht/100km

What is the range of the Neta V on a full charge ? As based on your fuel consumption figure the Swift, with a 37 litre tank has a maximum range of 851 km ( full to empty ) so practically, 600 km is easily achievable with a few litres left in the tank.

Edited by Excel

16 minutes ago, Excel said:

What is the range of the Neta V on a full charge ? 

"The Neta V is a battery electric vehicle equipped with a Lithium-ion battery delivering a range of 401 km (251 miles) rated by NEDC"

Edited by KhunLA
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, KhunLA said:

"The Neta V is a battery electric vehicle equipped with a Lithium-ion battery delivering a range of 401 km (251 miles) rated by NEDC"

Correction (384 kms) ... from the current Neta V (Thai site)

https://www.neta.co.th/th/product/Neta-V

After 3-4 hrs on Thai highway, that top up stop will be very welcomed.

Some coffee & pastry, then (for us) sort out hotel, or already at the hotel.

Others, may want to keep on keeping on for another 3 ish hours, NO THANKS.

image.png.0d67615e971ff5b6fae4230c7c748e13.png

Edited by KhunLA
  • Like 2

35 minutes ago, Excel said:

Not too bad at all for a little car.

Not so little - comparatively:

Neta V ......... L 4070mm ... W 1690 ... H 1540 

Swift .............. L 3845mm ... W 1735 ... H 1495

MG 3 ...............L 4055mm ... W 1729 ... H 1516

Mazda 2H ... L 4065mm ... W 1695 ... H 1495  

Honda Jazz L 4035mm ... W 1695 ... H 1525

Toyo Yaris .. L 4140mm ... W 1730 ... H 1475

MG ZS EV.... L 4313mm ... W 1809 ... H 1624 ????

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Excel said:

What is the range of the Neta V on a full charge ? As based on your fuel consumption figure the Swift, with a 37 litre tank has a maximum range of 851 km ( full to empty ) so practically, 600 km is easily achievable with a few litres left in the tank.

These EVs are not designed for long distance driving. If you regularly make long distance trips, then BEVs should not be your vehicle of choice.

However, if you are like most people with average work commutes, then you can easily go 4-5 days before charging your car once, at home, overnight. No need to even go to a petrol station.

It will be more inconvenient if you don’t have charging capability at home (living in an apartment for eg) but not undoable.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Bandersnatch said:

Suzuki Swift 1197 cc 
83 PS
Torque 108 Nm

0-100kph 13secs
23 km/L
4.3L/100km 
E20 36.84 Baht/L
158Baht/100km

PRICE
GL 567,000
GL PLUS 572,000
GLX 637,000

Neta V

Price 549,000

0-100kph 12.6 secs
76 PS
Torque 175 Nm 

9.6 kWh/100km

24.9 Baht/100km

I wonder if the PEA TOU rate is a myth. I divide my monthly usage with the cost and come to approximately 4 baht per unit but I use a similar amount of electricity at night as I do during the day. If TOU is real, I would expect my overall unit rate to be around 3baht.

20 minutes ago, Gweiloman said:

These EVs are not designed for long distance driving. If you regularly make long distance trips, then BEVs should not be your vehicle of choice.

However, if you are like most people with average work commutes, then you can easily go 4-5 days before charging your car once, at home, overnight. No need to even go to a petrol station.

It will be more inconvenient if you don’t have charging capability at home (living in an apartment for eg) but not undoable.

Agree completely.  

ALTHOUGH ... 1 charge on Thai roads 300+ kms is more than enough time for me to call it a day.  Or, as I've stated 1 or 10 times, that charging, coffee & pastry, walk the day stop would truly be welcomed, when out & about.  Then continue on after top up, or settle in to the hotel.

My reality, local driving, since moving to new digs, and my daily (unnecessary) routine is 12 kms a day.  Which is to the park with dog, cruise surfside, to make sure it's still there & return.  On the E-MB, was keeping track and went 3 different routes, out of curiosity, and almost exactly 12 kms each way.  Started test at 3000kms, logged after trips; 3012/24/36/48 ... yea, 12 kms.

Add a couple kms to pull into the Makro driveway, actually on the way, and my mandatory / unnecessary driving is less than 15 kms a day.  Which I could actually do once a week, in the EV car & stock up, but that would be boring.

Local out & about, exploring within 150 kms of home or 300 per round trip, so charging at home & no hotel.  Which we don't do now with the ICE, as nothing worth spending 1000-1500 baht for local sightseeing.  But with the EV, we'll be doing once or 3 times a week, till bored.  Charging at home with solar.

Hua Hin is 100 kms away N, Ban Krut is about 50 kms S.  Furthest of interest; Kaeng Krachen NP area will be 325-350 kms R/T, N'ward & Chumphon about the same S'ward.  Any further and we'd be overnighting anyway.

That aspect of the EV, local O&A, is what I'll enjoy the most, besides the less expensive long distance out & abouts.  I should be able to make it to my daughters on 1 charge, at Krung Thep.

Off course, if a working stiff, over the road driver, then no, pushing 400 kms a day, then BEV may not be the best option

1 minute ago, macahoom said:

Interesting, but not relevant to this thread: "Electric Vehicles in Thailand".

You think the cost of electric in Thailand is  not going to go up? And I did mention UK.

Id be concerened  about warranty, dissappearing with change of  owner? and rust shouldnt  all cars be now galvanised?

Checkout also this real Russian  review at this point  

30 minutes ago, Rampant Rabbit said:

You think the cost of electric in Thailand is  not going to go up?

It's never going to go down, BUT... after 22 years here, it hasn't gone up much worth noting.  Nothing like the increases in supposedly more developed countries, such as the USA, that are just now, having state mandates approved for all electric car sales in the future, 2035 ish.

Thailand did that one last year, spring of 2021.  With solar at least 1/3 of the price here vs the USA, this 3rd world existence is looking GOOD.

Thailand's "Thai EV roadmap in 2015" is 7 yrs in the making already, and progressing rather well.  Everyone seems to be on board now and accept the reality of EV & CS's future and actively working towards it.

https://www.mdpi.com/2032-6653/12/1/2/htm

And helping to make it all possible ... OH YEA

China ROCKS ... and thankfully just up the road a bit ????

Edited by KhunLA
  • Like 1

It looks like the BYD Han and Tang will not be coming to Thailand.

"But everything we're bringing in the right-hand-drive market is either on the 3.0 platform or future platforms, where the Han and the Tang are built on a different platform that is not coming to right-hand-drive markets.

"It's billions of dollars to change a product from left-hand drive to right-hand drive. When we started the journey with BYD three-odd years ago about bringing right-hand-drive cars into the country, it was quickly identified that we're better off investing into the future platforms, rather than the existing platforms."

https://www.drive.com.au/news/byd-han-tang-song-ruled-out-for-australia/

BYD Han:

spacer.png

BYD Tang:

spacer.png

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

36 minutes ago, dj230 said:

No infrastructure for EVs makes it not very useful 

This question has been raised many times in this discussion by people who do not own an EV in Thailand and answered by people who do.

Just because you don’t see any chargers doesn’t mean that don’t exist. 

1519983351_7941B5EA-B2EE-4FEF-9FC0-437F5FB5B597(1).jpeg.963d32b2e001479fa346b999d8bba456.jpeg

• Like 2

2 hours ago, dj230 said:

No infrastructure for EVs makes it not very useful 

Niu makes great electric motorbikes. 

And yet ... are you bipolar ?

Because earlier, in 'this thread' you stated:  

"im seeing a lot of ev infrastructure being built"

https://aseannow.com/topic/1257405-electric-vehicles-in-thailand/page/13/#comment-17415557

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Bandersnatch said:

This question has been raised many times in this discussion by people who do not own an EV in Thailand and answered by people who do.

Just because you don’t see any chargers doesn’t mean that don’t exist. 

1519983351_7941B5EA-B2EE-4FEF-9FC0-437F5FB5B597(1).jpeg.963d32b2e001479fa346b999d8bba456.jpeg

That's a long push if you're down to your last 50km...????

• Haha 1