Electric Vehicles in Thailand

2 hours ago, CapraIbex said:

Very much so. However I am not subscribed to any social networking services and have no intention to do so. I entered surin+buachet solarcell to internet search engine but no suitable result referring to contact details of this company . 

Well that explains a lot.  You could have simply asked on the many threads, 'anyone know installer near Buriram?'

The links I posted, I simply G'd "solar installer buriram".

Internet & social media (includes AN) is a great tool ... IF ... you use it.

Was watching some videos about ev charging in Thailand and it seems that some MG dealers are only switching on their chargers during off peak hours and not during the day. If so, then the case for buying a MG has weakened significantly.

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Gweiloman said:

Was watching some videos about ev charging in Thailand and it seems that some MG dealers are only switching on their chargers during off peak hours and not during the day. If so, then the case for buying a MG has weakened significantly.

...and it's not as if the starting point was particularly strong to begin with...

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, it is what it is said:

...and it's not as if the starting point was particularly strong to begin with...

Disagree. Supposedly, there’s a MG dealer every 150 km of travel in which case, one can easily traverse the whole of Thailand. But if they don’t have charging abilities during the day, then this weakens their USP significantly.

Nevertheless, there are still plenty of charging stations available all over Thailand.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Haha 1

9 hours ago, Gweiloman said:

I know for a fact that this is not the case for my local dealer.

I have just checked on my MG app and a few currently showing as unavailable. I will check back later in the day

Edited by Bandersnatch
  • Thanks 1

14 hours ago, Gweiloman said:

So  - I have checked again mid morning and some MG super chargers that were not available at 6am are now available and some that were available are now not.

I called the MG call center from my MG (free call as the car has a data sim) They said that the iSmart app is updated in real time so any charging stations showing as available are available. They can be booked up-to 15minutes ahead. 

The MG website has a list of all MG Super Chargers and what time they are available. For example Chiang Mai has 4 MG Super Chargers 3 are available 24 hours and 1 is only available from 22:00-08:00 

15A76500-620D-4BF6-8938-B8950232C431.thumb.jpeg.b18af891b14fb900d7bca76f2f4667e4.jpeg

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Bandersnatch said:

So  - I have checked again mid morning and some MG super chargers that were not available at 6am are now available and some that were available are now not.

I called the MG call center from my MG (free call as the car has a data sim) They said that the iSmart app is updated in real time so any charging stations showing as available are available. They can be booked up-to 15minutes ahead. 

The MG website has a list of all MG Super Chargers and what time they are available. For example Chiang Mai has 4 MG Super Chargers 3 are available 24 hours and 1 is only available from 22:00-08:00 

15A76500-620D-4BF6-8938-B8950232C431.thumb.jpeg.b18af891b14fb900d7bca76f2f4667e4.jpeg

Would you hazard a guess as to why MG/dealerships would restrict the use of chargers?

It seems to be so obviously counter-productive. Madness, even!

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, macahoom said:

Would you hazard a guess as to why MG/dealerships would restrict the use of chargers?

It seems to be so obviously counter-productive. Madness, even!

120 some charging stations, and post above found 'a couple' not available.  

hmm ... no drama here

Moving on ... 

An intelligent person would simply check their app & reserve.  

Easy enough

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, KhunLA said:

120 some charging stations, and post above found 'a couple' not available.  

hmm ... no drama here

Moving on ... 

An intelligent person would simply check their app & reserve.  

Easy enough

Yeh, but the question remains: Why on earth would MG/dealerships restrict the use of chargers? Presumably they have a good reason, but what could that be?

16 minutes ago, macahoom said:

Yeh, but the question remains: Why on earth would MG/dealerships restrict the use of chargers? Presumably they have a good reason, but what could that be?

I'm sure they all need maintenance sooner or later, as does all gadgets. 

But a couple out of 120 some CS...hmm, reality isn't quite as exciting as BS

Drama from:  "Was watching some videos about ev charging in Thailand and it seems that some MG dealers"  .... reads like an Anti-EV'er watching anti ev vids, and wanting to show them in a bad light ... typical, I heard it from a friend who's friends knows EV are bad and you can never charge them on the road ????

"I was watching some videos" ...  was enough to get me to ignore the reply

Could be a charging unit issue, brown out from PEA, PEA blackout due to weather or other PEA issue.  Something as simple as an internet issue, needed for app to function or receive payment.

Been to plenty of vendors temporarily 'shut' down due to simple power outage.  Petrol pump, computer/registers off ... NO POWER.

Edited by KhunLA
was enough to get me to ignore reply

On 6/28/2022 at 8:20 AM, Bandersnatch said:

As previously mentioned Mazda is considering launching EVs in Thailand. I didn’t know anything about Mazada’s EV so I did some research. The MX-30 is Mazda’s first all electric car but it’s tiny 35kWh battery would be better suited to a PHEV than a BEV. Having watched the review below it will not be on my shopping list.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, KhunLA said:

I'm sure they all need maintenance sooner or later, as does all gadgets. 

But a couple out of 120 some CS...hmm, reality isn't quite as exciting as BS

Drama from:  "Was watching some videos about ev charging in Thailand and it seems that some MG dealers"  .... reads like an Anti-EV'er watching anti ev vids, and wanting to show them in a bad light ... typical, I heard it from a friend who's friends knows EV are bad and you can never charge them on the road ????

"I was watching some videos" ...  was enough to get me to ignore the reply

Could be a charging unit issue, brown out from PEA, PEA blackout due to weather or other PEA issue.  Something as simple as an internet issue, needed for app to function or receive payment.

Been to plenty of vendors temporarily 'shut' down due to simple power outage.  Petrol pump, computer/registers off ... NO POWER.

You seem to be missing the point.

MG and/or MG dealerships have a policy of restricting the use of their DC chargers. They are switched off and not usable at specific, fixed times; nothing to do with maintenance, breakdowns or power outages. This has been going on since they were first introduced. It is not as widespread as it used to be, but it’s still happening.

This seems very strange to me and I just wondered if anyone knows why they would do this.

When I asked about it in a dealership, I was told it was something to do with PEA. Sounds strange!

Edited by macahoom

1 hour ago, macahoom said:

MG and/or MG dealerships have a policy of restricting the use of their DC chargers.

When I asked about it in a dealership, I was told it was something to do with PEA. Sounds strange!

Do they really, or just the one you asked.   

You believe they restrict, because they/one, told you so, but not the reason they told you ... interesting.

So what other vendor did you charge you EV at that day ?

Edited by KhunLA

46 minutes ago, KhunLA said:

Do they really, or just the one you asked.   

You believe they restrict, because they/one, told you so, but not the reason they told you ... interesting.

So what other vendor did you charge you EV at that day ?

"Do they really, or just the one you asked. "
I've been driving an EV car for almost three years and, as I stated earlier,
 MG and/or MG dealerships have a policy of restricting the use of their DC chargers all over the country. You think I'm making this up?"

"You believe they restrict, because they/one, told you so, but not the reason they told you ... interesting."

I know they restrict; I have experienced finding them turned off until certain times of the day or weekend. I find the reason that one dealership gave me very strange and I'd love to know if, indeed, it is something to do with PEA or some other reason.

"So what other vendor did you charge you EV at that day ?"

It wasn't just one day! Any time I've been out and about, I've always had a plan B and plan C in case I couldn't charge at my Plan A charging station.

Edited by macahoom
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, macahoom said:

"Do they really, or just the one you asked. "
I've been driving an EV car for almost three years and, as I stated earlier,
 MG and/or MG dealerships have a policy of restricting the use of their DC chargers all over the country. You think I'm making this up?"

"You believe they restrict, because they/one, told you so, but not the reason they told you ... interesting."

I know they restrict; I have experienced finding them turned off until certain times of the day or weekend. I find the reason that one dealership gave me very strange and I'd love to know if, indeed, it is something to do with PEA or some other reason.

"So what other vendor did you charge you EV at that day ?"

It wasn't just one day! Any time I've been out and about, I've always have had a plan B and plan C in case I couldn't charge at my Plan A charging station.

Thanks ... apologies, as thought you were just trolling

:bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow:

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, macahoom said:

You seem to be missing the point.

MG and/or MG dealerships have a policy of restricting the use of their DC chargers. They are switched off and not usable at specific, fixed times; nothing to do with maintenance, breakdowns or power outages. This has been going on since they were first introduced. It is not as widespread as it used to be, but it’s still happening.

This seems very strange to me and I just wondered if anyone knows why they would do this.

I tried to get an answer from MG Call Center - they just directed me to the website for opening times

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

27 minutes ago, Bandersnatch said:

I tried to get an answer from MG Call Center - they just directed me to the website for opening times

While on the topic, what prices have y'all been seeing/paying at the CS.

MG told us we'd get their 'card' or use app @ ฿7, (forget which, but app) which I thought was a bit steep, and thanks for buying MG ????

Any of them get sillier than ฿7, as that's quite the mark up, especially since I believe PEA is at present, giving them a discounted rate.

Our ZS will probably arrive after any 'free' promos from any vendors,  most expired already, unless someone new comes to the market.

Seen some promo at ฿4 and up.  What's the real prices charging if out & about ?  Hopefully not too many over ฿7, though the ICE cost 1400 to fill up a while back, so 350 would be the extreme negative to top up a battery @ MG CS.

Saves ฿1000 and might pay for that hotel room ????

Edited by KhunLA

1 hour ago, KhunLA said:

While on the topic, what prices have y'all been seeing/paying at the CS.

MG told us we'd get their 'card' or use app @ ฿7, (forget which, but app) which I thought was a bit steep, and thanks for buying MG ????

Any of them get sillier than ฿7, as that's quite the mark up, especially since I believe PEA is at present, giving them a discounted rate.

Our ZS will probably arrive after any 'free' promos from any vendors,  most expired already, unless someone new comes to the market.

Seen some promo at ฿4 and up.  What's the real prices charging if out & about ?  Hopefully not too many over ฿7, though the ICE cost 1400 to fill up a while back, so 350 would be the extreme negative to top up a battery @ MG CS.

Saves ฿1000 and might pay for that hotel room ????

To be honest, I don't pay much attention to the per unit cost.

Most, if not all, suppliers have a peak and off-peak charge. 

The only one I remember is the last one I used which was EV Station PluZ. These are located at PTT petrol stations:

The peak rate from 9am to 10pm is 7.5 baht per unit and the off-peak rate from 10pm to 9am is 4.5 baht.

I guess all the others have similar pricing. I think some have off-peak price over weekends.

• Thanks 2

On 4/22/2022 at 11:40 AM, GroveHillWanderer said:

Here's a map of charging points for Thailand. I'm not sure what you mean by "national network" but this looks pretty much nationwide to me.

Screenshot_2022_0422_113651.png

The map is nice but in reality how many charging points are there at each location and more importantly how many are actually working? Are all the charging points suitable for all the potential makes of vehicle? Do the different providers take a card? If so are they in range of reliable Wi-Fi? If maintenance is similar to the CCTV systems over half will constantly be out of order.

Edited by Photoguy21
  • Sad 1

On 8/17/2022 at 1:29 PM, Photoguy21 said:

how many charging points are there at each location

Look in the app.

how many are actually working

MG app is updated in real time and most are at an MG dealer.

EAA app - all the ones I have seen have been working

Are all the charging points suitable for all the potential makes of vehicle?

No. Look in the app to match to your car. Very few CHAdeMO, very few CCS 1 but very few cars have these now.

Do the different providers take a card?

MG you need the card from MG. EA Anywhere they have an app that you load your bank card into 

are they in range of reliable Wi-Fi?

MG dealers have WiFi. EAA are often at shopping centers that have WiFi but clearly not all. My MG has a data sim embedded in the car and this is increasingly the case. BYDs have 5G. Teslas you load your card details into the car and the charging station recognizes the car, so no app or card or WiFi needed. 

MG App:

298D1CF7-4B6B-4323-B57B-197B90D96013.thumb.png.72c52894b90ad84eb909ffced8dd88b1.png

EAA app:

7D0082D8-8C3C-4836-9553-F37C77F4948D.thumb.png.b088d02c7cc674a0befca2cf9e55cb1b.png

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Bandersnatch said:

Look in the app.

MG app is updated in real time and most are at an MG dealer.

EAA app - all the ones I have seen have been working

No. Look in the app to match to your car. Very few CHAdeMO, very few CCS 1 but very few cars have these now.

MG you need the card from MG. EA Anywhere they have an app that you load your bank card into 

MG dealers have WiFi. EAA are often at shopping centers that have WiFi but clearly not all. My MG has a data sim embedded in the car and this is increasingly the case. BYDs have 5G. Teslas you load your card details into the car and the charging station recognizes the car, so no app or card or WiFi needed. 

MG App:

298D1CF7-4B6B-4323-B57B-197B90D96013.thumb.png.72c52894b90ad84eb909ffced8dd88b1.png

EAA app:

7D0082D8-8C3C-4836-9553-F37C77F4948D.thumb.png.b088d02c7cc674a0befca2cf9e55cb1b.png

relying on them could give you problems. I wont talk about the time you need to wait for a charge which is not good if you are on a long journey. For close to home driving they are fine.

Edited by Photoguy21
  • Haha 2

4 hours ago, KhunLA said:

From an OZ news-blip: "

MG ZS Hybrid SUV revealed, with a new name

Australia's top-selling small SUV, the MG ZS, now has a hybrid option in Thailand but it's unclear whether it'll come here."

https://7news.com.au/lifestyle/motoring/mg-zs-hybrid-suv-revealed-with-a-new-name-c-7850710

There is a new MG VS HEV . I didn’t mention it as it’s only a hybrid 

6E4F6071-B2C5-4D19-ACC0-09A89E7B3F68.png.4b239e0160f692e6bb7143a65128b9d9.png

https://www.mgcars.com/th/mg-models/new-mg-vs-hev/overview

• Like 2