Electric Vehicles in Thailand

I am not dogmatic about EV vs. ICE powered vehicles - there are indeed arguments in favor for both, but the narrow perspective of the one-vs-other misses the main point.

In principle, the electric motor is by several magnitudes superior to an ICE, that argument is settled. To put in simple but accurate comparison: An electric motor is essentially a shaft that rotates, easily to over 10,000 RPM, with a magnificent torque curve to boot, almost maintenance free, vibration free, quiet as a church, small, light, cheap. Conversely, an ICE is a mess of millions of reciprocating parts that conspire to turn a shaft, limited in RPM lest it will grenade, with a torque curve so miserable it requires an elaborate gearbox to compensate, with most annoying vibrations, noisy as fokk, needs constant expensive maintenance, a limited life cycle due to inevitable wear of said motor, gearbox, exhaust, cooling etc. - oh, did I say it is very expensive, too?

But there is an additional element to propulsion - the form of energy used to power said motors. The form of energy used for an ICE gives the ICE an edge due to its much denser storage, which is much more favorable compared to batteries.

Batteries are a step gap measure, much better technology must replaced this aberration - hopefully before huge investments in battery manufacturing capacity fossilizes research into better technology.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, dj230 said:

Right now in the more popular chinese BEV companies they seem to be doing a pre-order strategy for new releases, not sure if its funding constraints or if they just want to gauge demand before production. I.e Xpeng, Nio, are using that strategy for the G9 and ET5

BYD announced not too long ago that they are building a factory in Thailand, maybe that would help bring EV's to Thailand, another issue is Thailands foreign taxes, I still can't understand how some people are okay with buying a $50,000 car for $100,000-$200,000, I am guessing cars like Tesla's are no different. 

I personally wouldn't trust any of these new EV car brands other than Tesla, too many issues can arise from a product not being tested with time. Explosions, car issues, defects, etc. 

Yes Byd have announce they will have a factory in Thailand in 2024

The factory is expected to start operation in 2024 with an annual production capacity of about 150,000 vehicles. EVs (BEVs and maybe PHEVs) made in Thailand will be sold locally as well as exported to neighboring ASEAN countries and other areas including Europe

https://insideevs.com/news/610066/byd-electric-car-plant-thailand/

Many countries have high import dues, primarly to protect their own production lines. USA applys a 25% duty on trucks and commercial vehicles(Chicken Tax)

It seems that Byd does have a partnership agreement with Tesla for battery supply and according to this report as already sent batteries for Model Y 

https://electrek.co/2022/08/11/tesla-model-y-byd-blade-batteries-gigafactory-berlin/

Any car brand that exports will be subject to the same testing requirements as any other brand that sells in that region 

• Like 1

On 4/21/2022 at 9:33 AM, Bandersnatch said:

This is a discussion about EVs available or coming to Thailand. Not private imports but cars supported here with a dealer network.

Are you interested in an EV as your next car if so which one and why?

Do you know of any breaking news about EVs in Thailand? If so post here. 

This not a discussion about EVs v ICE cars  - for that go here:

https://aseannow.com/topic/1246109-ice-vs-ev-the-debate-thread/

This is not a discussion about Chinese cars - for that go here: 

https://aseannow.com/topic/1235921-why-so-many-chinese-cars-mg-cars-do-people-only-care-to-buy-something-cheap-whatever-is-the-quality/

Mods please delete any posts that try to hijack this thread. 

“This not a discussion about EVs v ICE cars“

Off-topic and trolling posts will reported. 

• Thanks 2

13 hours ago, dj230 said:

I personally wouldn't trust any of these new EV car brands other than Tesla, too many issues can arise from a product not being tested with time. Explosions, car issues, defects, etc. 

I think BYD were near bankruptcy at one point, but then again Aston Martin have been several times. At this stage I'd be inclined to buy the brands I know, probably Japanese I guess in the Thai market because you need a comfort level that the brand will still exist during your ownership. MG also appeals to me. EVs make so much sense in Bangkok in particular, imagine the reduction in pollution and improvement in air quality that mass adoption will bring. there. It has to happen, must happen. However crop burning... they really need to enforce the existing laws on that. 

• Thumbs Up 1

19 hours ago, KhunLA said:

Might want to reconsider, as the DECO give you more power, more battery (power & usable ah s) & better warranty.

https://m.facebook.com/lpmonkeyshop/posts/4183513461777242

I had another look at DECO and the Family 2 looks more like what I want. Most of the time it will just carry 1 person. At 36,000 Baht it is something I'll have to give serious thought to as I said before it's 16,000 above my previous ceiling.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, KhunLA said:

Might want to reconsider, as the DECO give you more power, more battery (power & usable ah s) & better warranty.

https://m.facebook.com/lpmonkeyshop/posts/4183513461777242

But DECO don't appear to have a 4 wheel covered version.

It is important for the wife to remain out of direct sunlight (or rain) as much as possible and that's why we were looking at the L&P GVX500II.

It even has a windscreen wiper!

912909899_LPGVX500II_2.thumb.jpg.cc2764672e33f6c134968d149989bbb5.jpg

14 hours ago, mistral53 said:

If everybody in a condo building had an EV, there would be 500 chargers. There, I fixed it for you.

To me it is amazing to what kind of mental gymnastics people are willing to go to prove they can be silly.

if only the world worked like this where things just magically appeared

7 hours ago, Tuvoc said:

I think BYD were near bankruptcy at one point, but then again Aston Martin have been several times. At this stage I'd be inclined to buy the brands I know, probably Japanese I guess in the Thai market because you need a comfort level that the brand will still exist during your ownership. MG also appeals to me. EVs make so much sense in Bangkok in particular, imagine the reduction in pollution and improvement in air quality that mass adoption will bring. there. It has to happen, must happen. However crop burning... they really need to enforce the existing laws on that. 

Yup, thats another curve ball you have to think about with these EV companies, lots of car companies go bankrupt, i.e Chevrolet, Chrysler, GM, the margins aren't great and theres a lot of risk. One economic downturn and chapter 11's will be filed all over.

Right now Chinese EV companies are getting some stress, lower demand and margins are getting squeezed with inflation, I am guessing this is happening to all car companies. They are having to do sales while their gross profits are decreasing from inflation/higher costs so I wouldn't be surprised to see some go bankrupt, even Tesla almost went bankrupt. Once the company is gone I wonder if you'll still be able to get service or parts for your EV. Even Tesla's are having quality control issues but they have a warranty and will fix it, however if the company is gone the warranty is invalid, for obvious reasons. 

For now the only practical EV company to buy from seems like Tesla or the older car companies like Toyota. 

Edited by dj230

23 hours ago, Tuvoc said:

And how is the electricity generated to power said green-mobiles......... the efficiency in energy production is not yet there, nuclear has to be the way forward.

28 minutes ago, eezergood said:

And how is the electricity generated to power said green-mobiles......... the efficiency in energy production is not yet there, nuclear has to be the way forward

I don’t want to get into a discussion about the pros and cons of nuclear as it is off-topic. The best way to charge an EV in Thailand is from solar. I power my house and car 99.9% from my home solar. We don’t have a winter here in Thailand so charging is possible all year round. During the previous 4 months of rainy season I have used 3 units from PEA - due to charging my EV while having a nap and not hearing the thunderstorm  - I ended up with a full car battery and depleted house battery.

Tesla has setup a company in Thailand and started recruiting staff in preparation to start selling cars here. What Tesla does before it starts selling cars in a country is to roll out a charging network on major routes. The video below shows how Tesla is currently  doing that using solar and batteries. 

• Like 1
  • Love It 1

8 hours ago, vinny41 said:

With some many doubting thomas's around it makes you  wonder why people bought EVs from a relative newcomer brand such as Tesla

If anyone is asked to name 5 automotive brands that have been selling vehicles for more than 50 years Telsa wouldn't be in the list.

As for car companies going bankrupt the majority of brand's only build a small number of components, majority of vehicle components are built by tier 1 suppliers and quite often use carry over components from previous models example  variants. of the Ford Kent engine developed in 1959 were used in many vehicles until 2002

I purchased a Rover 75 built by MG Rover before they went into administration in 2005 parts are still available today via Unipart ( parts and service division of British Leyland) and shared parts of the BMW 3 series)

Most Chinese electric-vehicle (EV) manufacturers, except BYD Company Ltd., remained unprofitable in 1H22 despite strong volume growth.

BYD’s strategy to produce batteries and certain types of microchips internally also helped it to better weather supply-chain bottlenecks and cost inflation.

https://www.fitchratings.com/research/corporate-finance/few-chinese-ev-makers-are-profitable-despite-volume-boost-13-09-2022

The main reason people bought from Tesla while they were new was because it was the only EV available, now they've taken a considerable lead in terms of technology/specifications, their EV's are the best EV's on the planet right now. They're also "promising" FSD which is probably another reason people buy Tesla's over other EV's.

That is a big issue with unprofitability in these Chinese EV's, it makes me a bit skeptical if they'll be around in a few years, especially xpeng and li auto (although li auto is not a BEV), I listened to the last earnings report thinking about investing in a chinese ev company but it sounded quite bad, declining sale forecasts, margins getting squeezed, having to do sales to get rid of inventory, sounds like Tesla is taking market share by storm, their chinese factory now has minimum wait times of 1 week for delivery. Nio was the only one that forecasted revenue growth, but they have their own issues.  On top of that there is the whole issue with possible fraud, it was quite odd how some chinese EV companies were raising cash with stock offerings when their balance sheets said they had plenty of cash. The US is trying to get regulators to go to China and audit their financial statements to make sure everything is legit. 

Me personally I'd go with the safer option and get a Tesla or Toyota if I had to, everyone I know who owns an EV has a Tesla (family/friends). 

Not sure what the prices for EV's are in Thailand, but in terms of Tesla's prices, they comparable or even cheaper than these Chinese EV companies, I see no reason to pay the same or more for an inferior product, and the EV's which are considerably cheaper than say a Tesla Model 3 seem to be inferior, so you'd be paying less but getting less, which could be okay if you needed an EV and didn't have the budget for a Tesla model 3. 

Edited by dj230

24 minutes ago, dj230 said:

Not sure what the prices for EV's are in Thailand, but in terms of Tesla's prices, they comparable or even cheaper than these Chinese EV companies,

price list is from february 2022 ...

http://www.evat.or.th/attachments/view/?attach_id=259603

you already can buy a tesla in thailand (grey import) ...

imho, tesla has the best software, but not the best cars!

2022_02_11.png

2022_09_19.png

44 minutes ago, motdaeng said:

price list is from february 2022 ...

http://www.evat.or.th/attachments/view/?attach_id=259603

you already can buy a tesla in thailand (grey import) ...

imho, tesla has the best software, but not the best cars!

2022_02_11.png

2022_09_19.png

The chatter on the Thai EV forums is that people with Hong Kong Teslas are trying to offload them at ฿3,000,000 before the Thai market ones start selling for under ฿2,000,000 ????

I’m happy to wait

Edited by Bandersnatch
  • Thumbs Up 2

On 4/22/2022 at 11:14 AM, steve187 said:

i have been looking at a new suv, was thinking of hybrid, or ev, as the price of some brands have been reduced,

but ev's mg zs ev, havel, etc. are ok for short running about trips, but have a restricted distance, and no national network of charging ports, at home in some cases an extra electric metre is required, and for some households impossible to get a charging point fitted. condo's etc

hybrid nissan kicks, honda hrv etc. no problem with charging but, how good is the technology and is the increase mpg worth the possible future problems, 

in my mind the industry needs to improve as it will in the future, but for now buying maybe my last new car i think its worth sticking with the old reliable (not always), but been arounfd for a long time. so it ice for me

Very true. They need support from all branches of government and a willingness to spend real money on a network of charging stations. Otherwise, it is all hype, blabber and PR. So far, other than the announced tax breaks, which may or many not be real, and followed up on (see the details of Toyota VS. Thailand, going all the way up to the Supreme Court), with regard to promises of tax breaks that never happened. Resulting in Toyota pulling Prius production here. 

The history is not promising. The vision thing seems to be lacking. And EV represents progress, which would appear to be the last thing this administration represents. 

Edited by spidermike007

1 hour ago, dj230 said:

The main reason people bought from Tesla while they were new was because it was the only EV available, now they've taken a considerable lead in terms of technology/specifications, their EV's are the best EV's on the planet right now. They're also "promising" FSD which is probably another reason people buy Tesla's over other EV's.

That is a big issue with unprofitability in these Chinese EV's, it makes me a bit skeptical if they'll be around in a few years, especially xpeng and li auto (although li auto is not a BEV), I listened to the last earnings report thinking about investing in a chinese ev company but it sounded quite bad, declining sale forecasts, margins getting squeezed, having to do sales to get rid of inventory, sounds like Tesla is taking market share by storm, their chinese factory now has minimum wait times of 1 week for delivery. Nio was the only one that forecasted revenue growth, but they have their own issues.  On top of that there is the whole issue with possible fraud, it was quite odd how some chinese EV companies were raising cash with stock offerings when their balance sheets said they had plenty of cash. The US is trying to get regulators to go to China and audit their financial statements to make sure everything is legit. 

Me personally I'd go with the safer option and get a Tesla or Toyota if I had to, everyone I know who owns an EV has a Tesla (family/friends). 

Not sure what the prices for EV's are in Thailand, but in terms of Tesla's prices, they comparable or even cheaper than these Chinese EV companies, I see no reason to pay the same or more for an inferior product, and the EV's which are considerably cheaper than say a Tesla Model 3 seem to be inferior, so you'd be paying less but getting less, which could be okay if you needed an EV and didn't have the budget for a Tesla model 3. 

Potential Fraud claims you might want to check this page out

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tesla,_Inc.

Best Electric Vehicles for 2022 and 2023

1) Electric cars 2022 Chevrolet Bolt

2)Luxury Electric Cars 2022 Mercedes-Benz EQS

3) Electric SUV 2022 Hyundai Ioniq 5

https://cars.usnews.com/cars-trucks/hyundai/ioniq-5

The Tesla Model 3 was at the Moto Expo 2020 priced at 2.99 million baht

Ev prices in Thailand range from 325,000 baht upwards

The Thai auto market is more significant than most people would think; over 750,000 cars were sold in the market last year, and it is expected to ramp up to 800,000–900,000 this year. However, most of those vehicles are not in the same price range as Tesla vehicles.

https://electrek.co/2022/05/25/tesla-preparing-enter-thailand-market-evs-batteries-solar/

Tesla loses electric car crown to Chinese rival backed by Warren Buffett

BYD, a Chinese firm backed by Warren Buffet, dwarfed Tesla's sales in the first six months of the yearhttps://www.telegraph.co.uk/technology/2022/07/05/tesla-loses-electric-car-crown-chinese-rival-back-warren-buffett/

3 minutes ago, vinny41 said:

The Thai auto market is more significant than most people would think; over 750,000 cars were sold in the market last year, and it is expected to ramp up to 800,000–900,000 this year. However, most of those vehicles are not in the same price range as Tesla vehicles.

https://electrek.co/2022/05/25/tesla-preparing-enter-thailand-market-evs-batteries-solar/

BYD, a Chinese firm backed by Warren Buffet, dwarfed Tesla's sales in the first six months of the yearhttps://www.telegraph.co.uk/technology/2022/07/05/tesla-loses-electric-car-crown-chinese-rival-back-warren-buffett/

Don't bother ... he even admits he doesn't have a clue, and can stay on topic:  

"Not sure what the prices for EV's are in Thailand" ...

... nuff said

• Haha 1

15 minutes ago, spidermike007 said:

Very true. They need support from all branches of government and a willingness to spend real money on a network of charging stations. Otherwise, it is all hype, blabber and PR. So far, other than the announced tax breaks, which may or many not be real, and followed up on (see the details of Toyota VS. Thailand, going all the way up to the Supreme Court), with regard to promises of tax breaks that never happened. Resulting in Toyota pulling Prius production here. 

The history is not promising. The vision thing seems to be lacking. And EV represents progress, which would appear to be the last thing this administration represents. 

You are replying to a post from 5 months ago to which several of us have already replied with factual corrections.

- Lack of charging networks gets asked and answered by people with EVs here in Thailand. 

1335809299_MGcharger.jpg.c188ae709b9d2b7d6b95d5d9b932750c.jpg

"tax breaks, which may or many not be real,"

You can already get the tax breaks when you purchase the car  - I posted this in April

Price.jpg.2ada15626705bb2271f5fa53862166dd.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, vinny41 said:

I meant fraud as in financial statements from Chinese EV companies.

Thats interesting, not much more expensive in Thailand at 3M baht, but that was 2020, I think model 3's in USA nearly doubled in price since then. only $35k in 2019 but $55k now in USA 

2 hours ago, KhunLA said:

Don't bother ... he even admits he doesn't have a clue, and can stay on topic:  

"Not sure what the prices for EV's are in Thailand" ...

... nuff said

I never knew some people could be so miserable ????

Edited by dj230

14 hours ago, Bandersnatch said:

Next-gen MG Marvel R to launch in 2023; feature RHD model - so a good chance it will be available in Thailand.

Original version of the Marvel R looks like this:

spacer.png

According to a report from The Driven Australia, the next-gen MG Marvel R will be made in a right-hand drive (RHD) configuration so that MG can consider it for a wide range of markets. The publication reports that MG Australia and New Zealand CEO Peter Ciao said during an online event on November 24, 2021, that the second-gen MG Marvel R will launch in Australia next year (2023), provided the company does not run into supply chain issues. As per a report on Stuff.co.nz, the RHD-spec next-gen MG Marvel R would also be up for consideration for New Zealand.

SAIC launched the MG Marvel R in Europe in October 2021. With prices starting at EUR 40,000, the Marvel R goes up against the VW ID.4 and the Skoda Enyaq.

Bjørn Nyland (born in Thailand but has lived in Norway since he was four years old) Recently reviewed the performance version of the original version of the Marvel R    - the only thing he didn't like about it was the buggy infotainment system, which hopefully will get fixed in the upgraded version.  

You might want to look at the early reviews of the MG4 in the UK. (That's called the Marvel in China, and is right hand drive).

i.e. It definitely means it's going to be available in right hand drive, and the MG4 may even be what it gets called here.

I will admit I'm more interested that Tesla has started hiring staff in Thailand. If they build out some charging on major routes, and import directly from their factory in China (meaning zero import duty), that could be a real game changer. Solar is a no-brainer in Thailand for home charging (for those with a house at least).

• Like 2

1 hour ago, bkk_mike said:

You might want to look at the early reviews of the MG4 in the UK. (That's called the Marvel in China, and is right hand drive).

i.e. It definitely means it's going to be available in right hand drive, and the MG4 may even be what it gets called here.

I will admit I'm more interested that Tesla has started hiring staff in Thailand. If they build out some charging on major routes, and import directly from their factory in China (meaning zero import duty), that could be a real game changer. Solar is a no-brainer in Thailand for home charging (for those with a house at least).

Here's a bit of the review from Top Gear

On the face of it, the MG4 doesn’t seem like a very exciting car - certainly not something Top Gear would give a massively high score to. But when you dig into what it does for the money, how high it scores on multiple levels, it’s probably the only car in the class to recommend. It’s got range, charging, equipment, zippy dynamics and now some style.

https://www.topgear.com/car-reviews/mg-motor-uk/mg4

• Like 1

I am looking at getting an EV, but wouldn't touch a Tesla with a barge-pole. Far too many issues with cars coming off the production lines with faults, bad body work etc. 

And if you look at their reviews their customer service is terrible, and would be non-existent in Thailand, right? 

Anyone know of any longish term reviews of the NETA V?

• Like 1

1 minute ago, PremiumLane said:

I am looking at getting an EV, but wouldn't touch a Tesla with a barge-pole. Far too many issues with cars coming off the production lines with faults, bad body work etc. 

And if you look at their reviews their customer service is terrible, and would be non-existent in Thailand, right? 

Anyone know of any longish term reviews of the NETA V?

Tesla are still in silly price land here, though not sure what price if directly ordered from China.

Neta group of FB has some reviews of the 'V', though more 'test drive' reviews.  One I read wasn't exactly negative, just pointed out, you get what you pay for.  The suspension & ride didn't exactly get any rave review, and compared to an inexpensive entry level Toyota/Suzuki, Varis & Swift. 

So pretty krap, and why I upgraded from the Vios & Mazda2.  Fine vehicles for around town, but krap if wanting a quiet ride while on the highway at speed, which we are quite a bit.

We're going to stick with what we know, MG ZS, unless something, a better value, comes out before the end of the year, that can be delivered Q1 of 2023, as we're tired of waiting already.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, KhunLA said:

One I read wasn't exactly negative, just pointed out, you get what you pay for.  The suspension & ride didn't exactly get any rave review, and compared to an inexpensive entry level Toyota/Suzuki, Varis & Swift. 

I found one review just now - also said that it has an annoying habit of shutting down when you get below 1 mph. This is because the software is design to shutdown the car when you stop, with no start or off button available. Not sure if that has been fixed, but would be a major pain in traffic. 

17 hours ago, Bandersnatch said:

Next-gen MG Marvel R to launch in 2023; feature RHD model - so a good chance it will be available in Thailand.

Original version of the Marvel R looks like this:

spacer.png

According to a report from The Driven Australia, the next-gen MG Marvel R will be made in a right-hand drive (RHD) configuration so that MG can consider it for a wide range of markets. The publication reports that MG Australia and New Zealand CEO Peter Ciao said during an online event on November 24, 2021, that the second-gen MG Marvel R will launch in Australia next year (2023), provided the company does not run into supply chain issues. As per a report on Stuff.co.nz, the RHD-spec next-gen MG Marvel R would also be up for consideration for New Zealand.

SAIC launched the MG Marvel R in Europe in October 2021. With prices starting at EUR 40,000, the Marvel R goes up against the VW ID.4 and the Skoda Enyaq.

Bjørn Nyland (born in Thailand but has lived in Norway since he was four years old) Recently reviewed the performance version of the original version of the Marvel R    - the only thing he didn't like about it was the buggy infotainment system, which hopefully will get fixed in the upgraded version.  

Isn't the Marvel R just an upgrade / successor of the MG ZS EV?

15 minutes ago, PremiumLane said:

I found one review just now - also said that it has an annoying habit of shutting down when you get below 1 mph. This is because the software is design to shutdown the car when you stop, with no start or off button available. Not sure if that has been fixed, but would be a major pain in traffic. 

Here's one of the reviews (google translated on FB) I saw:

"Today, I sent the documents signed with Arun Plus. The test car that parked for the customer was still available. So the salesman made it to drive for a short distance. I could only feel the filling of the suspension and the acceleration a little bit.

As far as I can touch

1. My lower back feels a little wobbly for a sedan like this. But I normally drive a high SUV and I get used to this.

But the seller said that the car that will be delivered to the customer has modified the suspension to suit Thailand. The one that we are testing now is the one that is used in China. I would like to repeat that the seller told me.

2. Acceleration my own feeling. Like a petrol car I think. Pedal is based on our kickdown force. Because as I said in #1 I'm using a big car and accelerator is definitely better than my regular car.

A brief summary.

1. The suspension should actually be a little better for this type of car, but have to wait to see if the vehicle to be delivered to the customer actually has the suspension repaired like my salesman told me.

2. The acceleration rate is normal for a small car like this. I can press it immediately. It's satisfactory for me.

This information is a feeling that I have experienced with myself. It may not be the same as others, because everyone's feelings are different. So I want to bring the feeling that I have tested driving a little bit. It may be useful for those who haven't had a chance to test drive. It's fine to move."

Edited by KhunLA
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, bkk_mike said:

I posted about the MG 4 on the 20th August check back to page 21 of this thread.