Electric Vehicles in Thailand

6 minutes ago, Yorkshire Tea said:

When will the EV pickups arrive?

That's when sales of EVs would take off here, if Ford Ranger, Mazda, Toyota or Isuzu came out with an E-truck, near an ICE price point.  Thais love their trucks, and quite practical, as actually use them as.

15 minutes ago, KhunLA said:

That's when sales of EVs would take off here, if Ford Ranger, Mazda, Toyota or Isuzu came out with an E-truck, near an ICE price point.  Thais love their trucks, and quite practical, as actually use them as.

MG sell a pickup.   They could "break the ice" ????

• Like 2

1 hour ago, HidyHo said:

More importantly for me, when will the world (and Thailand) have more DC fast charging motorcycle/scooters with decent range (at sensible price)?

This thread has been running for months and we get asked this question every few days. Check out PlugShare for a map of chargers. 

see my post last week about PTT chargers which are rolling out. MG has CCS2DC every 150km

Electric Motorbikes in Thailand seem to be for local trips. Haven’t seen any touring ones yet, but Triumph have a factory here…..

https://ridermagazine.com/2022/07/12/triumph-te-1-electric-motorcycle-prototype-unveiled/#:~:text=The Triumph TE-1 electric,60 mph in 3.6 seconds.

Edited by Bandersnatch
  • Thumbs Up 1

57 minutes ago, Bandersnatch said:

This thread has been running for months and we get asked this question every few days. Check out PlugShare for a map of chargers. 

see my post last week about PTT chargers which are rolling out. MG has CCS2DC every 150km

Electric Motorbikes in Thailand seem to be for local trips. Haven’t seen any touring ones yet, but Triumph have a factory here…..

https://ridermagazine.com/2022/07/12/triumph-te-1-electric-motorcycle-prototype-unveiled/#:~:text=The Triumph TE-1 electric,60 mph in 3.6 seconds.

You misunderstood my question.  My question was regarding lack of motorcycles/scooter with fast charging capabilities., not number of charging stations in Thailand.

As far as I know, there is only one company, Energica Motor Company, who currently has DC fast charging motorcycles in the market and Energica is not sold in Thailand.  I think newly released BMW CE 04 scooter might be fast charging as well but not 100% sure about this (also currently not sold in Thailand).  My point is that EV motorcycle seems be very far behind EV automobiles development.  

7 hours ago, HidyHo said:

You misunderstood my question.  My question was regarding lack of motorcycles/scooter with fast charging capabilities., not number of charging stations in Thailand.

As far as I know, there is only one company, Energica Motor Company, who currently has DC fast charging motorcycles in the market and Energica is not sold in Thailand.  I think newly released BMW CE 04 scooter might be fast charging as well but not 100% sure about this (also currently not sold in Thailand).  My point is that EV motorcycle seems be very far behind EV automobiles development.  

Ok sorry about that. 

With most electric motorbikes sold in Thailand having 1-3kWh batteries fast charging would not be necessary. They are designed to be charged at home or the battery swapped.

I saw this swap station at an EV show recently 

016F188F-2907-4C45-AA7E-20AA1EA9DE5F.thumb.png.c44a0af41c3acec254fe67c2025262da.png

9 hours ago, mistral53 said:

I am not a Tesla fanboy. With that out of the way - the crappy Tesla build quality actually applies only to US made Tesla's, the Chinese get high reviews, even from customers in Germany. I know, this comment will infuriate the China bashers, but there are a good bunch of videos on YT with US and Chinese models compared back to back on the same dealer lot.

Last but not least, the US models are getting better, too, just be sure not to fall for what Tesla fanbois label 'luxury' car - except for the price there is not much luxury about Tesla's.

Having never driven a Tesla I have to rely on owner reviews on YouTube. The ones I have seen agree with what you say.

I have previously posted about BMW and Mercedes-Benz's EV plans in Thailand. Mercedes-Benz will build electric vehicles in Thailand, starting with its flagship electric EQS sedan this year. The Mercedes EQS has a RRP range of £105,610 to £119,610 in the UK so will be probably close to ฿5,000,000 here. BMW EVs start at ฿3,500,000 - no word yet on the BMW iX1 in Thailand. By comparison a RWD Model Y in Australia is about ฿1,700,000. The price in Thailand remains to be seen, but I would consider a less luxurious Tesla EV if the price is right.

320552045_Prices092022.thumb.jpg.120823da21c9c3a809ebe37f1f33b7f8.jpg

Any condo owners / renters - or apartment renters reading this thread ?

Curious how many have EV charging points now, or under construction now, and whether they are slow, medium or quick rates.

Not interested in "plans" to install by 2035 or some misty, rose colored date in the future. We all know how promises are kept - both here in LOS and all other places on the globe.

"We will have ... In the Future ... Plans under way ... and my favorite - Soon" 555

Edited by seedy
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, seedy said:

Curious how many have EV charging points now, or under construction now, and whether they are slow, medium or quick rates.

Not interested in "plans" to install by 2035 or some misty, rose colored date in the future. We all know how promises are kept - both here in LOS and all other places on the globe.

"We will have ... In the Future ... Plans under way ... and my favorite - Soon" 555

You should ask the question how many  condo owners have formed an association or committee and submitted a detailed business plan including costings to the building owner or management committee

detailed business plan should include number of chargers, type of charges, number of dedicated parking spaces required, who will pay for installation and ongoing maintenance of such chargers, how usage will be charged back to each person that uses the facilites and the unit cost taking in all of the above

• Love It 1

5 hours ago, seedy said:

1 hour ago, vinny41 said:

You should ask the question how many  condo owners have formed an association or committee and submitted a detailed business plan including costings to the building owner or management committee

detailed business plan should include number of chargers, type of charges, number of dedicated parking spaces required, who will pay for installation and ongoing maintenance of such chargers, how usage will be charged back to each person that uses the facilites and the unit cost taking in all of the above

As stated numerous times, an EV might not be a good choice for condo owners/tenants here in Thailand. PHEV is the better choice. 

Having said that, do we know the percentage of car owners living in condos/flats/apartments vs landed properties? I would venture that the latter is by far a higher percentage. 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, sometime said:

But they are all charged using fossil fuel, please correct me if I am wrong

I think that the majority comes from natural gas. A distant 2nd is coal and renewables are about half of coal.

This thread does not talk about climate change, just about practicality, affordability etc

• Thanks 2

2 hours ago, Gweiloman said:

I think that the majority comes from natural gas. A distant 2nd is coal and renewables are about half of coal.

This thread does not talk about climate change, just about practicality, affordability etc

natural gas

Compared with some other fossil fuels, natural gas emits the least amount of carbon dioxide into the air when combusted -- making natural gas the cleanest burning fossil fuel of all.

image.png.339d4e5aa7cf689de43efac39c44d07a.png

It's a work in progress and TH is struggling. 

Those of us not waiting for others to solve the problem have already or will be going solar in the near future.

Edited by KhunLA

On 9/23/2022 at 10:12 PM, KhunLA said:

natural gas

Compared with some other fossil fuels, natural gas emits the least amount of carbon dioxide into the air when combusted -- making natural gas the cleanest burning fossil fuel of all.

image.png.339d4e5aa7cf689de43efac39c44d07a.png

It's a work in progress and TH is struggling. 

Those of us not waiting for others to solve the problem have already or will be going solar in the near future.

Obviously meant to obfuscate, not meant to be for information - I am actually surprised that not all was colored identical, even a 6 year old could have done better.......... TH is indeed struggling!

5 hours ago, mistral53 said:

Obviously meant to obfuscate, not meant to be for information - I am actually surprised that not all was colored identical, even a 6 year old could have done better.......... TH is indeed struggling!

Actually it's a bit worse than struggling as Thailand is actually going backwards.

2010 Thailand was using natural gas for over 70% of their energy production.

Thailand only has a couple years left of natural gas themselves, so  in the future most will have to be imported.

Coal and oil obviously being cheaper as they're using more of it instead of importing more natural gas.

Solar would be the obvious solution but politicians don't make policy, corporations do.

Edited by KhunLA

Electric vehicles, of sorts, these appear to breeding locally in Chanthaburi, driven either in the motorcycle lanes or the main laned-roads. 

Somewhere between golf cart and mobility scooter.

Just one more hazard to be aware of.

spacer.png

They are Ecolo brand - not designed for highway use ! though that 300kg capacity should hold the heaviest farang Aand a carton of Chang?

High efficiency motor 60V 1200W
3-level acceleration handle
Sealed AGM batteries 45Ah | 5 x 12V
Total weight 275 kg including batteries
Dimensions 1970 mm x 970 mm x 1540 mm
Range ≤80 km
Maximum speed 30 km/h
60V | charger Charging time 6-8 hours
Load capacity 300 kg
Climbing capacity 25°

20 minutes ago, gomangosteen said:

Ecolo brand -
... Sealed AGM batteries 45Ah | 5 x 12V

Wish they'd put one out reasonably priced with a lithium phosphate battery.  Another brand widely available is iMio mini EV.  BUT ... no lithium batteries

Cheapest 'mini' with lithium, POCCO & Wuling is 450-500k, so why bother, just get the Neta V for much better specs

273527229_328596125863500_1594101761387232923_n.jpg

Edited by KhunLA
  • Like 1

Another Atto 3 news-blip, dated the 9th Sept, with 2 versions; 

49.9 & 60.4kW battery ... hmm

https://autolifethailand.tv/byd-rever-atto-3-coming-thailand-10-oct/

Includes an interesting comparison 'chart' vs other makers.

Not a whole lot of difference really, dimension wise.

Compared to the B-SUV / Crossover group, the BYD Atto 3 is the largest in the car segment of this size.

• Haval Jolion: 4,472 x 1,841 x 1,619 mm / wheelbase 2,700 mm.
  • Honda HR-V: 4,385 x 1,790 x 1,590 mm / wheelbase 2,610 mm.
  • Toyota Corolla Cross: 4,460 x 1,825 x 1,620 mm / wheelbase 2,640 mm.
  • Mazda CX-30: 4,395 x 1,795 x 1,540 mm. / Wheelbase 2,655 mm.
  • Nissan Kicks: 4,384 x 1,813 x 1,656 mm / wheelbase 2,673 mm.
  • Peugeot 2008: 4,300 x 1,770 x 1,530 mm / wheelbase 2,650 mm.
  • MG ZS EV : 4,323 x 1809 x 1,649 mm / wheelbase 2,585 mm.
  • BYD Atto 3 : 4,455 x 1,875 x 1,615 mm / wheelbase 2,720 mm.

• Like 2

51 minutes ago, zoolander said:

We ordered a MG EV and although MG fit the charger. We must install the wire from our dedicated meter and supply a box to house the charger at about 10k baht.

Is this right?

When I bought my MGZS EV over three years ago, the MG wallbox was supplied and installed for free with up to 15 metres of cable. They did a really neat job, even though it was a tricky installation.

No box was needed to house it. They must have changed the design. 

Sounds like things may be different now.

Edited by macahoom
  • Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, zoolander said:

Thanks, will update when the car eventually arrives. 5 months waiting already 

Since May 19th here, so Nov 19th or abouts.   Ours states free install, and as you say, will update and see how far that is.  To our 'box' is about 5 meters.  I interpret free install as, working before y'all leave, not just stuck on the wall ????

17 hours ago, zoolander said:

We ordered a MG EV and although MG fit the charger. We must install the wire from our dedicated meter and supply a box to house the charger at about 10k baht.

Is this right?

Have you had a charger installation team come out and do a survey on your power supply

my understanding is your power supply must meet certain requirements

as per this link

https://www.mea.or.th/profile/3361/3440

22 hours ago, zoolander said:

supply a box to house the charger at about 10k baht.

My MG wall box was installed under cover so no box was required to protect it from the sun and the rain

0040B079-AA9E-4980-97AA-5AE545651D7B.thumb.jpeg.af040161e47764f61846d7aac47282c7.jpeg

If like most Thai houses you don’t have a wrap around roof a box is required like this one.

27B268A5-3253-4B3D-B003-62DE7E9C21E4.thumb.png.6921929cdf81fa389687eb7d705161d4.png

64FB690F-01F4-4BC5-9BAE-7C4FD1F3C228.thumb.png.5e5ba1f622438b12adc9844af40b4b63.png

I don’t have a dedicated meter as I persuaded MG to allow me to charge my MG from my solar system.