Electric Vehicles in Thailand

On 3/21/2023 at 6:35 PM, JBChiangRai said:

Not with the MG4 alas, you have to do it every time you start the car.

I did read from one of the early adopters of an MG4 in the U.K. that the earlier released vehicles could disable the Lane Keeping Assistance , and it would stay disabled, but when the car achieved the NCAP rating LKA was deemed a safety feature important enough to make it enable by default on every start up. An early update made this a permanent feature, so no hope of this being reversed.

I also read that there is sensitivity on LKA and once applied, for example the lowest setting, it will remember this on startup.

Not sure if this helps in any way.

On 3/13/2023 at 5:21 PM, Andrew Dwyer said:

Wonder if you have tried your full size spare ( 18” ) in the hole  ?

Read a report of a guy using a Rav 4 wheel and tyre as a spare and it fit in on an angle, but it’s only 17” .

64627A52-16EA-49CF-B0D5-7FBBF51B4BFA.jpeg.356cf4a40a5edcec629da6683ae0e98c.jpeg

So I can confirm that a Toyota Cross / CH-R spacesaver will fit an Atto 3. Bought the wheel on Lazada for THB 2,890 + 150 delivery. Brand new. 5 x 114 17" rim with a 155/70 Yokohama tyre; not sure of the offset but it clears the brake caliper (put it on just now and drove backwards / forwards 10 feet with no scraping noise and no scoring inside rim when removed). The wheel is about an inch less in diameter (about 25.5 inches vs 26.5 inches for the full size). I don't know if the tire pressure monitoring will complain given difference in rotational speed.

As per the pic above from an Atto owner in Holland, the spare is too big to lay flat in the space where the emergency kit sits. Take that foam insert out and it goes in at an angle and there's plenty of room to allow the boot floor to sit firmly in the upper position. It's quite possible just to lay the spare on the foam insert if you don't mind the floor having a little movement. I think I'll take the foam insert out but couldn't be bothered for this evening

.IMG_1510.jpg.fa1c0713ddfd868b122431a66dc57115.jpg

IMG_1512.jpg.18e0e8b62bea8490dc90e52aab41602d.jpg

IMG_1514.jpg.d10da0079dde76c4ac2fd45d93a4a3f7.jpg

IMG_1517.jpg.50f684ae4e8d741d14fb9c588cdc58bd.jpg

IMG_1518.jpg.611f41e2d28c08ad2c6c63129e9c3d86.jpg

IMG_1516.jpg.902b79fc4989e3a8f346700051cc347a.jpg

• Thanks 2

5 minutes ago, BKKBike09 said:

So I can confirm that a Toyota Cross / CH-R spacesaver will fit an Atto 3. Bought the wheel on Lazada for THB 2,890 + 150 delivery. Brand new. 5 x 114 17" rim with a 155/70 Yokohama tyre; not sure of the offset but it clears the brake caliper (put it on just now and drove backwards / forwards 10 feet with no scraping noise and no scoring inside rim when removed). The wheel is about an inch less in diameter (about 25.5 inches vs 26.5 inches for the full size). I don't know if the tire pressure monitoring will complain given difference in rotational speed.

As per the pic above from an Atto owner in Holland, the spare is too big to lay flat in the space where the emergency kit sits. Take that foam insert out and it goes in at an angle and there's plenty of room to allow the boot floor to sit firmly in the upper position. It's quite possible just to lay the spare on the foam insert if you don't mind the floor having a little movement. I think I'll take the foam insert out but couldn't be bothered for this evening

.IMG_1510.jpg.fa1c0713ddfd868b122431a66dc57115.jpg

IMG_1512.jpg.18e0e8b62bea8490dc90e52aab41602d.jpg

IMG_1514.jpg.d10da0079dde76c4ac2fd45d93a4a3f7.jpg

IMG_1517.jpg.50f684ae4e8d741d14fb9c588cdc58bd.jpg

IMG_1518.jpg.611f41e2d28c08ad2c6c63129e9c3d86.jpg

IMG_1516.jpg.902b79fc4989e3a8f346700051cc347a.jpg

Good news, those spacesavers usually have a 60 psi rating, but it should say on the tyre.

On 3/22/2023 at 12:57 PM, JBChiangRai said:

I went to the GWM showroom today, I still can't order a Grand Cat.

i was at the Bangkok Motor Show yesterday, GWM did not show the ora grand cat, quite disappointed!

i did a short test drive in an interesting electric car, accelerate from 0 to 100 km/h in less than 5 seconds, that was a lot of fun!

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, BKKBike09 said:

So I can confirm that a Toyota Cross / CH-R spacesaver will fit an Atto 3. Bought the wheel on Lazada for THB 2,890 + 150 delivery. Brand new. 5 x 114 17" rim with a 155/70 Yokohama tyre; not sure of the offset but it clears the brake caliper (put it on just now and drove backwards / forwards 10 feet with no scraping noise and no scoring inside rim when removed).

Did you try it on the front and turn the steering all the way both directions while driving? 

2 hours ago, Andrew Dwyer said:

I also read that there is sensitivity on LKA and once applied, for example the lowest setting, it will remember this on startup.

Not sure if this helps in any way.

I read that on mgevs.com the forum in the UK, but I can't find it on the car.  A manual for the car in English would be nice, it's on the infotainment but I like a proper book I can read (preferably with a glass of wine).

2 hours ago, JBChiangRai said:

I read that on mgevs.com the forum in the UK, but I can't find it on the car.  A manual for the car in English would be nice, it's on the infotainment but I like a proper book I can read (preferably with a glass of wine).

Just read a LKA thread on that forum and it appears there’s no sensitivity only on or off, sounds like an update has reduced the sensitivity, but without any code it’s difficult to know whether you have had that update yet.

Due to the U.K. MG4’s having been around for a while one would assume that you already have the latest update.

It’s a real mess, the most sensible suggestion i saw was using one of the shortcut buttons for dedicated LKA but that would mean an update and sacrificing a shortcut option.

5 hours ago, JBChiangRai said:

I just checked, you can set the left shortcut button to bring up a shortcut menu and from there you can turn LKA off, you have to confirm it afterwards and you have to be wearing your seatbelt first.

Other options for that shortcut button are toggle android auto/apple car play, and bring up the 360 degree cameras.

Strangely in the European MG4 version this shortcut button let's you select the driving mode. 

Don't know why the Thai version is different from that.

But I would appreciate to have this option here as it seems to be more useful to me than the shortcut menu, Android auto or 360° camera. 

Maybe it can be changed in the future at MG workshop or third party car programming shop

Lurking around the Atto 3 FB Groups i see a lot of posts from Thai owners who have run out of battery and have to call the tow truck to take them home or the nearest charging station, depending on distance I guess and paying up to 3,700 baht for the service.

The major complaint is that they appear to have enough km’s to get them safely to their destination but when they get down to the lower km figures they disappear very rapidly and the inevitable happens.

Of course, it has been stated frequently, on here, that 20% is a good safety barrier but on the Atto the remaining km figure is a lot bigger than the actual battery percentage and owners are ignoring the battery %.

It has been stated that as the 100% SOC figure is fixed at 480 ( NEDC ) and as the battery percentage drops it doesn’t compensate until the lower levels when rapid compensation causes the km to disappear quickly.

For example: if you have been driving along since 100% SOC and have covered 200 km in 50% then it is likely to tell you that you have 280 km left where in reality you probably have around 200-220 km .

This is causing so much confusion that many have got the dealership to covert from 480 ( NEDC ) to 420 ( WLTP ), not perfect but closer to the actual range.

My questions are ( finally ????

Do other EV owners see this type of range management.

Why can the range not be calculated based on your driving similar to ICE which seems to work well.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Yellowtail said:

If you end up having to use it, be careful, particularly when parking or making a U-turn. That is when the offset really counts. 

If worst came to worst and I had to use it on front of car I'd consider 

46 minutes ago, Andrew Dwyer said:

Lurking around the Atto 3 FB Groups i see a lot of posts from Thai owners who have run out of battery and have to call the tow truck to take them home or the nearest charging station, depending on distance I guess and paying up to 3,700 baht for the service.

The major complaint is that they appear to have enough km’s to get them safely to their destination but when they get down to the lower km figures they disappear very rapidly and the inevitable happens.

Of course, it has been stated frequently, on here, that 20% is a good safety barrier but on the Atto the remaining km figure is a lot bigger than the actual battery percentage and owners are ignoring the battery %.

It has been stated that as the 100% SOC figure is fixed at 480 ( NEDC ) and as the battery percentage drops it doesn’t compensate until the lower levels when rapid compensation causes the km to disappear quickly.

For example: if you have been driving along since 100% SOC and have covered 200 km in 50% then it is likely to tell you that you have 280 km left where in reality you probably have around 200-220 km .

This is causing so much confusion that many have got the dealership to covert from 480 ( NEDC ) to 420 ( WLTP ), not perfect but closer to the actual range.

My questions are ( finally ????

Do other EV owners see this type of range management.

Why can the range not be calculated based on your driving similar to ICE which seems to work well.

It is a pain that Atto always insists range is 480 km @ 100%.

In Australia/NZ there is the option to set 'Dynamic Range' where "estimated driving range is displayed based on the available battery power and current average power consumption". Much more sensible. But the Thai cars don't offer this option. I'm sure it must be easy enough to enable as it's only a software feature. This is what overseas owners' manual says:

Driving Range Display

• To improve driving experience, the vehicle features a function to select the "Driving Range Display Mode", which is "Standard" by default.

• Set the mode in "Multimedia → New Energy → Energy Management → Driving Range Display Mode".

• Standard mode: The driving range is displayed based on the result of the comprehensive working condition test.

• Dynamic mode: The estimated driving range is displayed based on the available battery power and current average power consumption.

• The set driving range display mode will be memorized by the system.

• When the vehicle is powered off and then on, the display mode set last time will be maintained.

REMINDER

•When the "Dynamic" driving range display mode is set:

» The range displayed when the battery is fully charged varies based on the energy consumption of the previous trip.

» The driving range actually displayed will be adjusted based on the state of the vehicle’s air conditioner, the driving mode (ECO, NORMAL, SPORT, etc.) selected, and the driver's driving habits, so as to match the vehicle's actual driving range.

I've asked in dealership whether they can enable and they said no. But maybe that will change if enough people complain.

I've experimented (in Bangkok, not when I'm miles from a charger) seeing what happens when SOC gets low. When it hits 50 km predicted range remaining at around 10%, a caution comes up on the dash stating that vehicle needs to be charged. Analagous to low fuel warning light in an ICE. 

11 minutes ago, BKKBike09 said:

I've asked in dealership whether they can enable and they said no. But maybe that will change if enough people complain.

If you get to the Motor Show, they should be some manufacturers reps that know the cars and systems well. 

Dealers are sometimes not very well informed. 

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, BKKBike09 said:

If worst came to worst and I had to use it on front of car I'd consider 

It is a pain that Atto always insists range is 480 km @ 100%.

In Australia/NZ there is the option to set 'Dynamic Range' where "estimated driving range is displayed based on the available battery power and current average power consumption". Much more sensible. But the Thai cars don't offer this option. I'm sure it must be easy enough to enable as it's only a software feature. This is what overseas owners' manual says:

Driving Range Display

• To improve driving experience, the vehicle features a function to select the "Driving Range Display Mode", which is "Standard" by default.

• Set the mode in "Multimedia → New Energy → Energy Management → Driving Range Display Mode".

• Standard mode: The driving range is displayed based on the result of the comprehensive working condition test.

• Dynamic mode: The estimated driving range is displayed based on the available battery power and current average power consumption.

• The set driving range display mode will be memorized by the system.

• When the vehicle is powered off and then on, the display mode set last time will be maintained.

REMINDER

•When the "Dynamic" driving range display mode is set:

» The range displayed when the battery is fully charged varies based on the energy consumption of the previous trip.

» The driving range actually displayed will be adjusted based on the state of the vehicle’s air conditioner, the driving mode (ECO, NORMAL, SPORT, etc.) selected, and the driver's driving habits, so as to match the vehicle's actual driving range.

I've experimented (in Bangkok, not when I'm miles from a charger) seeing what happens when SOC gets low. When it hits 50 km predicted range remaining at around 10%, a caution comes up on the dash stating that vehicle needs to be charged. Analagous to low fuel warning light in an ICE. 

Yes, seems strange why the dynamic option is not available, hence many Thai owners paying a couple of hundred baht to convert to WLTP ( 420 km ).

Wonder what the reason is for not enabling this feature here, really doesn’t make sense.

Edited by Andrew Dwyer

38 minutes ago, JBChiangRai said:

I haven’t seen an official list but the 3 trim levels are slightly different to the Thailand models.

The top spec , Design , is the Thai extended version with a 15.6” screen and 11kw AC charging but weighs in at 1,623,00 baht. Bearing in mind that the 15.6” screen can be bought and fitted here for 28,500 baht that’s some expensive 3 phase charging, even if you have it at home that is !!

So the difference between the top U.K. model and top Thai model (with an upgraded screen)is 11 kw v 7 kw home charging and around £9,300 ( 387k baht ) and a free home charger with installation and 1 year insurance .

Makes you glad to be a Brit …….. living in Thailand ????

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 3/21/2023 at 12:06 PM, Andrew Dwyer said:

My ZS ICE , a little over 2 years old, was a great buy and has given me 33k trouble free km.

Was competing against the Corolla Cross when I bought it, no doubt I would have been happy with the Cross but the 450k difference sealed the deal.

I don’t find it too thirsty either, with an average 14.5 km/ltr i’m happy.

14.5 kms/L ... nice

Remember when I was doing the comparison, E85 vs 91 vs 95, and main concern was performance & cost per 100 kms.

E85, since designed to take, gave just a wee bit better pep, off the line, and at the time, was 25+% less than the others.  Memory serves, cost per 100 kms was about the same.   So that pep, came at a cost, a bit thirsty.  Lost kms but cost the same, even though using more.

Now E85 is basically the same price, so cost per 100 kms, not good at all, so definitely would use 91.   

We racked up just shy of 40k kms in 2 yrs.   Really hated selling it, loved the red ????

Edited by KhunLA

18 hours ago, Yellowtail said:

If you get to the Motor Show, they should be some manufacturers reps that know the cars and systems well. 

Dealers are sometimes not very well informed.

Good point. I might go there today. I can wave the Thai language owners manual at them because in there it says there are Dynamic / Standard modes. I asked dealership why it said this and their response was that manual was translated from the English (so I guess Oz/NZ) version and some features "no have in Thailand" (also including heated seats/, which I quite like). 

17 hours ago, JBChiangRai said:

Curious that the UK versions don't have adjustable floor in the boot:

"There's no variable boot floor, which is a shame because there's space for one, the boot floor is set high, level with the load lip, and there's a huge compartment beneath in which the bags for cables float around".

1 hour ago, BKKBike09 said:

Curious that the UK versions don't have adjustable floor in the boot:

"There's no variable boot floor, which is a shame because there's space for one, the boot floor is set high, level with the load lip, and there's a huge compartment beneath in which the bags for cables float around".

I thought that maybe the Telegraph journo had given the car back already and couldn’t remember if it had or not.

Quickly browsed another 4 U.K. car magazine reviews and they all said the same…… could it be they are all plagiarising each other ?? 

Until Parkers spotted it 

“ You also get a handy storage area under the boot board, which is useful for hiding the car’s charging cable – and it’s especially welcome considering you don’t get any storage space under the bonnet. You can also set the boot board to a higher position to eliminate the lip between the boot opening and the floor.“

• Haha 1

51 minutes ago, Andrew Dwyer said:

I thought that maybe the Telegraph journo had given the car back already and couldn’t remember if it had or not.

Quickly browsed another 4 U.K. car magazine reviews and they all said the same…… could it be they are all plagiarising each other ?? 

Until Parkers spotted it 

“ You also get a handy storage area under the boot board, which is useful for hiding the car’s charging cable – and it’s especially welcome considering you don’t get any storage space under the bonnet. You can also set the boot board to a higher position to eliminate the lip between the boot opening and the floor.“

Yep, does make you wonder.   I spec shop before even walking into a showroom.  If it gets past spec comparison (different sources), then hands on for anything I consider buying.

3 hours ago, Bandersnatch said:

Going to drive down on Monday. Visit to the Tesla pop up store in Central World then onto the show. 

Seal is on my list to see

9BA585CB-0CC7-4248-B155-23A1C3515685.thumb.jpeg.7d10f7eebf3aa7e1823c8413f7a43033.jpeg

https://www.sanook.com/auto/87091/

Sanook also has another article about the BYD Dolphin, saying orders can be made with delivery in July. 

Nothing said for the Seal, unfortunately.

I would be surprised if you can see the inside of the car this time. Most likely not.

I need a new car/ EV asap. 

So 99% the MG 4 will it be. 

Dealer said less than 2 months delivery time, more likely one month after financial documents are approved.

God, I wish it were those times again when you can step into the dealership and buy a new car right away from the showroom 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, CLW said:

Sanook also has another article about the BYD Dolphin, saying orders can be made with delivery in July. 

I would be surprised if you can see the inside of the car this time. Most likely not.

I need a new car/ EV asap. 

So 99% the MG 4 will it be. 

Dealer said less than 2 months delivery time, more likely one month after financial documents are approved.

God, I wish it were those times again when you can step into the dealership and buy a new car right away from the showroom 

Starting to see more MG4 around now, saw an X model in the Holborn Blue the other day, it looked really nice.

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, CLW said:

I would be surprised if you can see the inside of the car this time. Most likely not ...

i had the opportunity to examine and sit inside this car:

byd seal / tang / han / atto 3 / dolphine ...

ioniq 5 and 6 ... and many more!

but some cars were looked, as mercedes eqs / neta s and a few more!

most companies offer a test drive near by ... 

Edited by motdaeng
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

33 minutes ago, motdaeng said:

i had the opportunity to examine and sit inside this car:

byd seal / tang / han / atto 3 / dolphine ...

ioniq 5 and 6 ... and many more!

but some cars were looked, as mercedes eqs / neta s and a few more!

most companies offer a test drive near by ... 

Tell us more, which impressed you and which would you go for if inclined ?

• Like 2