Electric Vehicles in Thailand

6 hours ago, macahoom said:

it's difficult to justify getting rid of my ZS. For a start, I'd get peanuts for it - no matter how good it is. 

I have to admit I have never really understood the secondhand car market in Thailand. There doesn't seem to be a very active private sale market. Dealers don't want to take cars in part exchange and you get quoted what the local used car tent will pay, which is usually nothing.

If on the other hand you want to buy an second hand EV  - there isn't a cheap one to be had:

https://www.one2car.com/en/cars-for-sale?min_price=500000&max_price=1500000&fuel_type=Electric&page_size=26&sort=price.desc&page_number=1

You could advertise on the aseannow for sale site and post a link to it (unless that breaks the forum rules)

https://aseannow.com/forum/79-cars-for-sale-in-thailand/

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Bandersnatch said:

I have to admit I have never really understood the secondhand car market in Thailand. There doesn't seem to be a very active private sale market. Dealers don't want to take cars in part exchange and you get quoted what the local used car tent will pay, which is usually nothing.

If on the other hand you want to buy an second hand EV  - there isn't a cheap one to be had:

https://www.one2car.com/en/cars-for-sale?min_price=500000&max_price=1500000&fuel_type=Electric&page_size=26&sort=price.desc&page_number=1

You could advertise on the aseannow for sale site and post a link to it (unless that breaks the forum rules)

https://aseannow.com/forum/79-cars-for-sale-in-thailand/

Historically in the US dealers overpay for trade-ins to make people think they are getting a bargain, when all they are getting is a smaller discount than they otherwise would. Thai dealerships have no incentive to do this. 

You can't expect a dealer to buy your car for the retail value, or even close to it. 

13 hours ago, Bandersnatch said:

If you are buying a used car from a tent, they are obliged to charge VAT on the entire purchase price, they may hide it by effectively discounting the car or make it up out of finance commission.  In the UK the tent only pays VAT on the difference between purchase and sales price.

58 minutes ago, JBChiangRai said:

If you are buying a used car from a tent, they are obliged to charge VAT on the entire purchase price, they may hide it by effectively discounting the car or make it up out of finance commission.  In the UK the tent only pays VAT on the difference between purchase and sales price.

I am sure you are right, but I wish it was just the VAT. 

Father in Law nearly bought a 12 year old pickup on zero deposit finance for ฿390,000 from a tent. Knowing I would get stuck with repair bills and missed payments I bought him a new one for ฿490,000.

There are a number of FB groups for new EVs in Thailand - I think they might be a good place to advertise a used EV for sale here. As long as you are realistic on the price.  

22 minutes ago, Bandersnatch said:

I am sure you are right, but I wish it was just the VAT. 

Father in Law nearly bought a 12 year old pickup on zero deposit finance for ฿390,000 from a tent. Knowing I would get stuck with repair bills and missed payments I bought him a new one for ฿490,000.

There are a number of FB groups for new EVs in Thailand - I think they might be a good place to advertise a used EV for sale here. As long as you are realistic on the price.  

He (like a lot of people) was buying the finance, not the vehicle.

• Thumbs Up 1

17 minutes ago, Yellowtail said:

He (like a lot of people) was buying the finance, not the vehicle.

Whilst waiting for a delivery date for my daughters MG EP+ I saw 3 of them advertised by a tent on one2car, when I called them they refused to give me a price unless I would buy on finance.

• Thumbs Up 2

1 hour ago, Bandersnatch said:

Seen a “ new “ BYD Atto 3 ext range for sale on a FB page 1.2 million baht down to 1.1 million.

Straight away saw a few offering 1 million, don’t know the outcome.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Andrew Dwyer said:

Seen a “ new “ BYD Atto 3 ext range for sale on a FB page 1.2 million baht down to 1.1 million.

Straight away saw a few offering 1 million, don’t know the outcome.

Electric cars are not for everyone - yet!

There are lots of issues yet to be resolved, like those who live in condos, townhouses without parking spaces etc

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Andrew Dwyer said:

This is a little older ( 2nd Dec 2022 ) and haven’t seen any further update on it.

https://topcarnews.net/aiways-to-set-up-car-and-battery-assembly-plant-in-thailand-s181435.html

Interestingly the initial order for the U5 are destined to be taxis here in Thailand and might cause a drop in interest by the general public but hot on its heels is the U6, which as we have come to expect from Chinese EV’s, is another sporty, space age, multi coloured car brimming with the latest tech.

Hopefully both these Aiways ev’s, the BYD Seal and the Neta U Pro will be represented at the Motor Show later this month.

I have a feeling there’s going to be a few surprises in store. 

@Andrew Dwyer - thanks for posting this and well spotted  - this was news to me. 

Having a Thai factory and Thai partner who has ordered 100,000 cars makes this a manufacturer I will be following with interest.

the deal between Aiways and Phoenix EV that was made public a few days ago not only refers to the order of at least 100,000 Aiways vehicles in the next five years, but also to the establishment of a joint venture called Aiways Thailand, which is to manage further joint ventures as an umbrella company. The plan is for Aiways Thailand to take over the distribution and servicing of the vehicles, but also to create its own charging and battery exchange infrastructure. Another activity planned by the duo is “local development for special market requirements”. These are to be handled directly on site via Aiways Thailand.”

https://www.electrive.com/2022/12/02/aiways-to-set-up-car-and-battery-assembly-plant-in-thailand/

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, JBChiangRai said:

My friend in the trade told me to expect BYD Seal & Dolphin this year, but unfortunately probably not Han this year.

Confirms what I saw in an article from Australia saying that the Han and Tang would not be coming to RHD countries. Only cars using the new platform such as the Seal and Dolphin. 

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, Yellowtail said:

A "new" GWM dealership going up in a shuttered Mitsubishi dealership a few blocks from the house. 

The dealer I bought my BYD from used to be a Mitsubishi dealer (they still have a Mitsu dealership as well at another location). Gave me a little comfort knowing that at least they weren't completely new to the car biz. I suspect a lot of second-tier brand dealers will consider switching over to EV brands.

• Like 1

On 3/13/2023 at 5:59 PM, Yellowtail said:

or buy a cheap donut spare. 

While carrying a spare is not strictly on topic to Electric Vehicles it does have some relevance … so here goes.

Most regular posters on this thread are EV owners or, like myself, on the verge of buying an EV ( the Yorkshireman in me being the cause of my procrastination).

EV’s, Hybrids and PHEV’s are already carrying the bulky and weighty battery so the spare tyre is a rarity, in fact a rarity in ICE cars also, being replaced by a light and diminutive air pump and foam.

So, the question of carrying a spare is common:

Cons

Weight ( with range at the forefront losing a few kilos is paramount)

Space ( early EV’s, and now HEV and PHEV utilising the all important space under the boot )

Necessity ( with the pump/foam and roadside assistance offered on some new EV’s is a spare even required ?)

Pros :

Piece of mind ( knowledge that a flat will not cause a lengthy wait cutting in to your well earned weekend away if the rim is damaged or sidewall damage rendering your pump/foam fix ineffective)

So, risking travelling without the spare, jack and tools etc is the easiest option but obviously some are still going the spare wheel route.

Disclosure: my Honda Jazz came with a donut and I used it twice in 4 1/2 years. I bought a donut for my ZS ( ICE ) 2 1/4 years ago, still unused.

Will i buy a spare/donut for my EV ?

I am still on the fence.

As it’s looking like an Atto 3 a full size spare is the cheapest and easiest option as there’s plenty of tyre/wheel combo’s available on FB for around 4k baht a set, due to the dubious quality of the Batman tyres and many owners going for new rims ( seen some going up to 19” and 20” ! ), but it’s doubtful the 18” will actually fit in the space.

A quick search for an emergency spare, donut, brought up nothing and as it seems Toyota RAV 4 wheels are compatible a 17” spare could be utilised, albeit on a slight angle as in the photo I posted earlier.

So, finally !!, a couple of questions:

Have you gone the spare or donut route ?

How small can you go with a donut ( my official MG donut is 16” on a car using 17” wheels ) can you go smaller ?

23 minutes ago, Andrew Dwyer said:

While carrying a spare is not strictly on topic to Electric Vehicles it does have some relevance … so here goes.

Most regular posters on this thread are EV owners or, like myself, on the verge of buying an EV ( the Yorkshireman in me being the cause of my procrastination).

EV’s, Hybrids and PHEV’s are already carrying the bulky and weighty battery so the spare tyre is a rarity, in fact a rarity in ICE cars also, being replaced by a light and diminutive air pump and foam.

So, the question of carrying a spare is common:

Cons

Weight ( with range at the forefront losing a few kilos is paramount)

Space ( early EV’s, and now HEV and PHEV utilising the all important space under the boot )

Necessity ( with the pump/foam and roadside assistance offered on some new EV’s is a spare even required ?)

Pros :

Piece of mind ( knowledge that a flat will not cause a lengthy wait cutting in to your well earned weekend away if the rim is damaged or sidewall damage rendering your pump/foam fix ineffective)

So, risking travelling without the spare, jack and tools etc is the easiest option but obviously some are still going the spare wheel route.

Disclosure: my Honda Jazz came with a donut and I used it twice in 4 1/2 years. I bought a donut for my ZS ( ICE ) 2 1/4 years ago, still unused.

Will i buy a spare/donut for my EV ?

I am still on the fence.

As it’s looking like an Atto 3 a full size spare is the cheapest and easiest option as there’s plenty of tyre/wheel combo’s available on FB for around 4k baht a set, due to the dubious quality of the Batman tyres and many owners going for new rims ( seen some going up to 19” and 20” ! ), but it’s doubtful the 18” will actually fit in the space.

A quick search for an emergency spare, donut, brought up nothing and as it seems Toyota RAV 4 wheels are compatible a 17” spare could be utilised, albeit on a slight angle as in the photo I posted earlier.

So, finally !!, a couple of questions:

Have you gone the spare or donut route ?

How small can you go with a donut ( my official MG donut is 16” on a car using 17” wheels ) can you go smaller ?

Assuming the donut is used to get you slowly to the next place to buy a tire or to wait for one to be brought to you, most anything that fits the hub will work. Driving slowly (20-30kph) with one small diameter tire less that 100 km will not hurt anything. 

A decent shop can also cut the hub from one wheel and weld it into another. This used to be very common in the US with steel wheels, I would not try it with alloys....

The last time I had a flat my wife called B-Quick and I stated to change it, but they were there before I had the spare down. Two guys on a motorcycle, they changed it in a few minutes for free. Would not take a tip...

I have never had a vehicle that did not come with a full-sized spare. I've seen people in the US drive on the donut for weeks.

Edited by Yellowtail
added text
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Andrew Dwyer said:the Yorkshireman in me being the cause of my procrastination).

Yorkshiremen are like Scotsmen but with the generosity wrung out of them.

One of the best reasons to buy an EV.

I’m a Yorkshireman too btw.

• Thumbs Up 1

53 minutes ago, Yellowtail said:

Assuming the donut is used to get you slowly to the next place to buy a tire or to wait for one to be brought to you, most anything that fits the hub will work. Driving slowly (20-30kph) with one small diameter tire less that 100 km will not hurt anything. 

A decent shop can also cut the hub from one wheel and weld it into another. This used to be very common in the US with steel wheels, I would not try it with alloys....

The last time I had a flat my wife called B-Quick and I stated to change it, but they were there before I had the spare down. Two guys on a motorcycle, they changed it in a few minutes for free. Would not take a tip...

I have never had a vehicle that did not come with a full-sized spare. I've seen people in the US drive on the donut for weeks.

Okay, I’ll look to see if a space saver for RAV4 is available.

On my two flats B-Quik also fixed them for me FOC.

Full size spares are rare now but pickups and larger SUV’s are more likely to carry them.

Just a quick, I promise to be quick this time ????, thought on donut spares.

After researching a donut for a RAV4 I learned that the donut for the PHEV version is different from the other versions as the PHEV has upgraded brake callipers and there’s a danger of interference !

So, wouldn’t it be great if all car manufacturers offered a donut ( MG does , at least for the ZS ICE anyway ) as a paid for alternative to the pump and foam, after all we have discovered that the Atto 3 , and probably others, has a tyre well which is filled with a big chunk of foam !!

1 hour ago, Andrew Dwyer said:

Just a quick, I promise to be quick this time ????, thought on donut spares.

After researching a donut for a RAV4 I learned that the donut for the PHEV version is different from the other versions as the PHEV has upgraded brake callipers and there’s a danger of interference !

So, wouldn’t it be great if all car manufacturers offered a donut ( MG does , at least for the ZS ICE anyway ) as a paid for alternative to the pump and foam, after all we have discovered that the Atto 3 , and probably others, has a tyre well which is filled with a big chunk of foam !!

I bought a spare for the MG ZS ICE, but instead of the donut, simply got the real tire on a mag, and only cost 1000 baht more.  Figured when time for new tires, I'd just keep the best on replaced as the spare, and only have to buy 3.

In the EV trunk now.  Means the shelf has to be on top tier, but we don't need the space anyway.

• Thumbs Up 1

21 minutes ago, KhunLA said:

I bought a spare for the MG ZS ICE, but instead of the donut, simply got the real tire on a mag, and only cost 1000 baht more.  Figured when time for new tires, I'd just keep the best on replaced as the spare, and only have to buy 3.

In the EV trunk now.  Means the shelf has to be on top tier, but we don't need the space anyway.

I got the donut for the ZS ICE as is lighter and means I can still put the floor on the lower level.

But on the Atto 3 a donut might not be easy to find and the tyre well is sort of “ half a tyre well “ so probably a full size might not fit.

A bit of a work in progress.

• Like 1