Electric Vehicles in Thailand

38 minutes ago, JBChiangRai said:

If the standard battery is LiFePo4 and the extended battery is NMC, you definitely don’t want the NMC battery in this climate.  Even in a cooler climate NMC is a lot fussier with half the charge/discharge cycles of LiFePo4. Add in the hot climate and it’s likely to be considerably worse.

Both LFP ( Blade ) batteries, part of the attraction for me, I want the biggest range but the safety and ease of use of the LFP

BYD Atto 3 to launch in the U.K. on March 15th 

Looks like only the 60 kWh battery ( extended range here )available but in 3 trim levels ( 1.52 mil, 1.54 mil and 1.62 million baht) the top of the range boasting a 15.6” info screen.

https://www.electrikez.com/byd-launches-the-atto-3-electric-suv-in-the-uk/?fbclid=IwAR2uEX93Fb-NmoXqDQQ6zVUYKp_Xn9Wv-DTm_wzU8kyvGREI-6mo_pfl27g

Edited by Andrew Dwyer

On 4/23/2022 at 11:11 AM, GroveHillWanderer said:

Sorry, I can't. It's a map generated by the MG iSmart app

Oh, I see the issue.  You have an MG and believe the Chinese government, 555.

No.

A single charging station at a new gas station isn't a "national" charging infrastructure. ????

I’m sure the software is different on the MG4 as cruise control does use regen and I have only seen it overspeed by 2 kmhr, but it is annoying as it’s too aggressive switching from power to regen.  The car is permanently online and hopefully will update the software some time, I’d love to tinker with it if I knew how.

I drive it in one pedal mode down to 10kmhr most of the time, it regens at -15% and I wouldn’t want it more than that.

My other EV uses regen on the brake pedal to 0.4g.  It only uses the brakes in an emergency or bringing the car to a complete stop.  The cruise control on that car whilst not adaptive is much smoother and only exceeds set speed by 1 kmhr briefly on downhill stretches.

15 minutes ago, SiSePuede419 said:

Oh, I see the issue.  You have an MG and believe the Chinese government, 555....No....A single charging station at a new gas station isn't a "national" charging infrastructure. ????

I couldn't find that single station either ...  damn Chinese.   Anyone know where I can find a charging station ..  I don't see any in Thailand

image.png.860f1c146eff467ac2874185b0906fbf.png

• Thumbs Up 2

32 minutes ago, SiSePuede419 said:

BYD sold electric buses to the city of Albuquerque. ????

Read all about that "nightmare" here...

https://www.americanmanufacturing.org/blog/report-examines-byds-failed-electric-bus-rollout-in-albuquerque/

A blog 'americanmanufacturing' ... going anti CH EV ... go figure.

And yet ... they added more to the fleet:

"ABQ Ride unveils 5 new electric buses being added to fleet"

https://www.krqe.com/news/albuquerque-metro/abq-ride-unveils-5-new-electric-buses-being-added-to-fleet/

Topic:  EVs in TH

Edited by KhunLA
  • Thanks 1

On 3/7/2023 at 3:23 PM, henry2109 said:

Does anybody have some information about Zeekr 001 in Thailand? Like where and when it is available, price in Baht etc.

The Zeekr 001 is made by Geely which does not have a presence in Thailand currently. The Zeekr 001 is coming to Europe this year, but as Thailand is a RHD country we tend to have to miss out on small production run cars as it’s not economic to make the conversion.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, SiSePuede419 said:

BYD sold electric buses to the city of Albuquerque. ????

Read all about that "nightmare" here...

https://www.americanmanufacturing.org/blog/report-examines-byds-failed-electric-bus-rollout-in-albuquerque/

To be fair, that relates to buses built 6 years ago. Tech has moved on so much in that time I think it's debatable to judge BYD today by those standards. But who knows.

I look at the BYD EV taxis that are still running at Suvarnabhumi - that's 5 years plus and they are still on the road, so maybe a good sign?

More of a concern for me is the ability of cars to act as giant tracking devices. Certainly anyone in a sensitive government job would want to think very carefully. If you work in a 'site without windows', do you want your phone synced to your car, and your car sharing position data with a Chinese server? No thanks.

7 minutes ago, BKKBike09 said:

Interesting to see how it all goes for them in UK. I wouldn't have paid any more than the 1.2 million I spent here on the Atto. After 2000 km and 2 months of ownership, I rate it overall about 6.5-7/10. I'll post a proper review at some point when I have more time.

Thanks, I’d be interested in seeing your comments as owner of an Atto 3.

Interesting that a 15.6” screen will be offered on the U.K. ( I did read one report that said 16.6” but think it was a typo ), although have seen some owners on the Thai FB groups already upgrading to a 15.6” and also some with a flexible mount to angle in any direction !! The 12.8” already seems more than adequate to me.

The Thais do like to modify their cars, so many owners putting wraps, one guy made his yellow !!, and spoilers and radiator (?) protectors , adding Netflix, YouTube, etc etc.

Many variations on the debadging which I do agree with, kinda opposite of many MG owners plastering Morris Garages on the front, or back, of their motors .

Also seen an ad on FB for a company putting additional lettering  on the front, their ad showed a photo of a GREAT WALL MOTERS badge , i tried to point out the mistake put fell on deaf ears ☹️

4 minutes ago, Andrew Dwyer said:

The Thais do like to modify their cars

I have long thought that Thais think, if someone makes it, it must be good.  Hence awful chrome bits stuck on behind the door handles, around lights, black trim around doors, bonnet & trunk.  Taste often means "Less is More".

Bring back furry dice and Starsky & Hutch style rear window louvres!

• Haha 2

7 hours ago, KhunLA said:

A blog 'americanmanufacturing' ... going anti CH EV ... go figure.

And yet ... they added more to the fleet:

"ABQ Ride unveils 5 new electric buses being added to fleet"

https://www.krqe.com/news/albuquerque-metro/abq-ride-unveils-5-new-electric-buses-being-added-to-fleet/

Topic:  EVs in TH

And where was the 5 new electric buses designed and built

Answer  Burlingame, California

https://www.proterra.com/products/transit-buses/

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, BKKBike09 said:

The quick summary would be:

Good

1. External / interior styling (very subjective)
  2. Build quality (but see below)
  3. Comfort (but see below)
  4. Relaxing to drive
  5. Reasonably powerful (will get up to 150 kmh quite happily and quite quickly)
  6. Good range (at least 350-400 km)
  7. Panoramic glass roof (a big selling point for me) with sunshade
  8. Good interior space
  9. Both front seats electrically adjustable (but no memory settings)
  10. Built in dashcam
  11. GPS works pretty well (but no Thai language search option)

Not So Good

1. Suspension - way too soft and spongy (not an issue around town but not so good at any speed) as soon as decent aftermarket options available, I'm going to ditch the stock set up
  2. Build quality - well put together but the panel metal is the thinnest I've ever seen (already got two tiny dents in mine)
  3. Comfort - One-piece front seats mean no adjustable head restraints
  4. Tyres - cr*p Chinese no name; but fine for town driving
  5. Tech - too much of it that can't be permanently disabled
  6. Cruise control - fiddly to set, very hard to see speed set, only goes up/down in 5 kmh intervals
  7. AirCon - not always as cold as I think it should be
  8. No spare tyre 

Thanks, seen many of your NotsoGood’s mentioned, in particular:

Soft suspension 

<deleted> tyres , plenty for sale on FB as changed, sometimes for 19” and 20” ( rumoured to be changed to Continental soon )

Lack of adjustment in seat head restraints ( many buy Air Lumba support from Lazada etc )

Tech that doesn’t stay disabled and has to be turned off at start up.

ACC , LKA and AEB all too sensitive to the point of dangerous.

Air con - not so efficient and noisy at times.

No spare tyre - unfortunately a sign of the times, difficult to buy a car with a spare now .

Saw a video about someone fastening some aluminium ( I think ) plate under the battery pack of an atto 3 and it looked very much like there was a tyre well there, but haven’t seen a video of a Thai utilising it so I guess I was mistaken .

8 minutes ago, vinny41 said:

And where was the 5 new electric buses designed and built

Answer  Burlingame, California

https://www.proterra.com/products/transit-buses/

Surely with no parts or components from CH.   Wonder who's battery pack they used ?  Or circuits or chipsets, BMSs, or all them Taiwan (CH) parts, microchips, made from CH's raw materials.

3 minutes ago, KhunLA said:

Surely with no parts or components from CH.   Wonder who's battery pack they used ?  Or circuits or chipsets, BMSs, or all them Taiwan (CH) parts, microchips, made from CH's raw materials.

Designed and manufactured in Proterra’s Silicon Valley and City of Industry battery manufacturing facilities by the best minds in battery engineering, Proterra battery systems are compact, safe and powerful.

https://www.proterra.com/products/battery-technology/

15 minutes ago, vinny41 said:

Designed and manufactured in Proterra’s Silicon Valley and City of Industry battery manufacturing facilities by the best minds in battery engineering, Proterra battery systems are compact, safe and powerful.

https://www.proterra.com/products/battery-technology/

My brother retired from SEPTA, bus maintenance division.  OK, nothing to do with electric buses, but so many posts have come up lately, all stating, they or their wives worked, and have 1st hand knowledge of.  I couldn't resist, but he did work at Septa's bus & trolley repair shop.   Anyway .... think I'll stick with CH products.

https://whyy.org/articles/septas-cracking-battery-buses-raise-questions-about-the-future-of-electric-transit/

"It’s been nearly a year and a half since a passenger set foot inside one of SEPTA’s Proterra buses, which cost nearly a million dollars apiece when they rolled out in 2019. Most are now gathering dust in a South Philly bus depot, riven by cracked chassis and other defects. The diesel and hybrid buses that  SEPTA planned to replace with the all-electric fleet remain in service, with no timeline for the e-buses to return.

Externally, SEPTA has said little about the failed battery bus program or its progress in restoring the buses to service, insisting that it is working on a “resolution” with the bus manufacturer. But internal communications, obtained by WHYY’s PlanPhilly through a right-to-know request, reveal the incident shook SEPTA’s top executives and triggered a serious reevaluation of its plans to convert more of its fleet to electric power. They also show that damage to the buses was discovered even earlier than the agency previously acknowledged — before the buses even began regular service."

1 hour ago, Andrew Dwyer said:

No spare tyre - unfortunately a sign of the times, difficult to buy a car with a spare now .

Saw a video about someone fastening some aluminium ( I think ) plate under the battery pack of an atto 3 and it looked very much like there was a tyre well there, but haven’t seen a video of a Thai utilising it so I guess I was mistaken .

Looks like i spoke too soon, what’s going on here ??

935D4AD0-2653-49E0-8D5E-62BA9CB321F0.thumb.jpeg.9e9f07a93eb810434ca0b23ee7e4c0fa.jpeg

11 minutes ago, Andrew Dwyer said:

935D4AD0-2653-49E0-8D5E-62BA9CB321F0.thumb.jpeg.9e9f07a93eb810434ca0b23ee7e4c0fa.jpeg

Camper conversion ... new YT channel "living in EV in TH"

image.png.c9721c3190ca3dbf8480d9a2e74764b0.png

Edited by KhunLA
  • Like 1

23 minutes ago, JBChiangRai said:

I'm tingling with suspense

Maybe you hit a pot hole or speed bump, and now being electrocuted from your EV ????

"Car of the Year" ... damn cheap CH krap ????

https://aseannow.com/topic/1235921-why-so-many-chinese-cars-mg-cars-do-people-only-care-to-buy-something-cheap-whatever-is-the-quality/

Cars of the Year, awarded:

MG4

MG EP

... MG5 and new MG EP PLUS win car of the year 2022

MG HS

... 2021 sgCarMart Car of the Year

MG ZS EV 

... Car of the Year 2022! MG ZS EV wins top award from Driving Electric

Edited by KhunLA
  • Thumbs Up 1

On 3/10/2023 at 2:34 PM, Andrew Dwyer said:

23 hours ago, Andrew Dwyer said:

I did find a spare wheel / tyre but it's about an inch too wide to sit under the boot floor when the floor is in the raised position. I pulled out the foam insert that holds the inflation kit etc and hoped that it would provide enough depth. I think it will, but the foam is held in place by four threaded bolts (no idea why) which don't really show in the pic above. They either need to be removed or a riser of some sort put in: you wouldn't want a tyre to be lying on those bolt tips. TBH could probably render them harmless with water bottle tops and gaffer tape.

image.jpeg.7c41acb000b7d1973c99d9ccc0cb3034.jpeg

IMG_1415.jpg.e20b0a89d94047615fa4f44654fb44e2.jpg

IMG_1414.jpg.df0592a16f1121ff1c6e8762a94f0803.jpg

It's irritating there's no "frunk" because the tire kit could go in that space. Maybe someone will start making an insert; can't think it would be too hard.

IMG_1450.jpg.70aadc0fd9c230dc360560fdf8244fd8.jpg 

• Like 2