Electric Vehicles in Thailand

20 hours ago, Bandersnatch said:

BYD

Seal 

An extremely popular car at the show and in person it looks great, but not in the same league as the Han.

Staff on the stand said that the seal will be coming to Thailand next year and the price has not been confirmed.

I really wanted to sit in the car as I currently driving a comfortable SUV. The seal is a very low slung car and it wasn’t that easy to get into. The driver’s seat auto moves back when you open the door making exit a bit easier. The seats are a very light colour which seemed to already be showing signs of dirt, buy my wife seemed to think that they were supposed to that colour!

If the seats are made of fake leather like the Atto ("vegan leather", as it's marketed by BYD in Europe), then a quick wipe and they clean up well.

19 hours ago, Bandersnatch said:

Hyundai/Kia

Hyundai brought an IONIQ 5 to the show but said you couldn’t buy it in Thailand.

Staff on the booth told me they expect it on sale here end 2023 but pricing will likely be high. Nice looking car though inside and out (albeit another one with a pale interior that will showcase any dirt).

• Thanks 2

2 hours ago, BKKBike09 said:

If the seats are made of fake leather like the Atto ("vegan leather", as it's marketed by BYD in Europe), then a quick wipe and they clean up well.

Staff on the booth told me they expect it on sale here end 2023 but pricing will likely be high. Nice looking car though inside and out (albeit another one with a pale interior that will showcase any dirt).

Will compete with Volvo xc40 ?

5 hours ago, Bandersnatch said:

Anybody remember the Honda Benly CD200 from the 1980s?

IMG_0578.thumb.jpeg.b32994750623cec19f9491721ad07230.jpeg

Well now there is an electric version. It costs ฿4,500 ……….per month! Apparently you can’t buy the bike outright but have to lease it. It works with a Battery Swap Station, coming to a food delivery service near you

IMG_0525.thumb.jpeg.ef5dd8c1aa104e56b70212046190ea92.jpegIMG_0527.thumb.jpeg.2a5e1fef291c5359d59fdf2ead4f3cd8.jpeg

IMG_0526.jpeg

That electric version looks a wee bit different ????

I had the 900cc ICE version:

image.png.1a7a1660fe60b1c179a7ae28fb24b434.png

On 4/1/2023 at 11:36 AM, Bandersnatch said:

Denza D9 (BYD/Mercedes luxury brand)

Luxury people carrier  - going to be expensive

20230330_082540978_iOS.thumb.jpeg.ccb4459df6bb33b383a945b28b08fa25.jpeg

The Denza D9 interior is worth checking out. Denza is definitely BYD’s Lexus brand and I will be worth watching for future cars coming to Thailand.

Denza launches new electric N7 SUV in China

IMG_0587.jpeg.8d59038c5454c0e21674d3133cfc69ed.jpeg

https://www.electrive.com/2023/03/16/denza-launches-new-electric-n7-suv-in-china/

• Thanks 2

5 hours ago, churchill said:

Will compete with Volvo xc40 ?

If you were referring to the BYD Seal, then no it is clearly aimed at the Tesla model 3 which starts at ฿1,759,000 so it won’t cost more than that. The xc40 is ฿2,690,000.

If you were referring to the Hyundai Ioniq 5 then yes it will probably be a similar price to xc40 due to the 40% import duties from Korea 

Edited by Bandersnatch
  • Like 2

17 hours ago, CLW said:

I'm having a ORA good cat as rental car.

Any idea how to change the language completely to English? 

Menus on the small and big screen I have managed to change 95% to English. However, GPS and voice control still in Thai language.

Hope some farang owner can help me solve this mystery. Thank you 

My MG voice controls are in Thai but I connect my iPhone to Apple car play and use Google Maps in English. The voice control button on the steering wheel then connects to Siri for “play Sting on Spotify” etc

• Like 2

What next for BYD ?

With Seal on hold till next year, Han and Tang not coming but being released elsewhere , the E6 likely to appear soon and Dolphin already here, not forgetting the Atto 3 which is still forging ahead one could be forgiven in thinking that BYD would take a little break to decide which is the best way to proceed.

But no !!

The Seagull ( Dolphins smaller sister ) is already hitting the headlines with its rumours of a Sodium-ion battery. Unlikely to hit Thailand shores though and will probably stay a domestic model.

https://topelectricsuv.com/news/byd/byd-sea-lion-byd-seagull/

But wait , there is still hope for another model to possibly head this way.

The Sea Lion ( mid size SUV and possible Tesla Model Y challenger) is already setting its sights on the Australian ( RHD alert ! ) and other export countries so could be another contender for the Thai market .

https://topelectricsuv.com/news/byd/byd-sea-lion-electric-suv/

• Thanks 2

9 hours ago, Andrew Dwyer said:

The Sea Lion ( mid size SUV and possible Tesla Model Y challenger)

Thanks for this Andew  - I think I’m too old and fat for the BYD Seal - definitely more of an SUV man - will be watching out for the Sea Lion

Me stuck in a Seal:

20230330_072803500_iOS.thumb.jpeg.1233a87e385955e326b9e9ed8fa45d4d.jpeg

• Thumbs Up 2

1 hour ago, Bandersnatch said:

Thanks for this Andew  - I think I’m too old and fat for the BYD Seal - definitely more of an SUV man - will be watching out for the Sea Lion

Me stuck in a Seal:

20230330_072803500_iOS.thumb.jpeg.1233a87e385955e326b9e9ed8fa45d4d.jpeg

Yes, strange how the Sea Lion has popped up out of nowhere and could be released this month, although there are some reports of it from around a year ago it hasn’t been hyped like the Seal and Dolphin.

Looks larger than the Atto 3 and expected price in China is 1 million- 1.2 million baht, so could be 1.3-1.5 M baht here?

A toned down interior from the Atto 3 and I’m all over it.

622AF20F-1B06-47FD-BA9D-2575329914D7.jpeg.fae8c2b5ca61c1c437f0ace8515f9637.jpeg

29ECE531-2988-453E-BDCB-83DDC651EB17.jpeg.5906758e48cac6bbc79ae0a16137f4f9.jpeg

C60CEDBC-CB91-4E59-884E-0D1F1D995002.jpeg.53ca0b233158334ae78c1acb94e59ad6.jpeg

AAEC5FC5-BFF5-49CE-BD71-D8BA4DD1515C.jpeg.25764dbfa089d67c233345f13c1ad4a1.jpeg

• Thanks 2

BYD prices a bit steep for your liking ?, well here’s a model ( Qin ) for around US$17 k, looks very good for the price , almost Seallike ?

I usually don’t like this guys videos as he likes to go the scaremongering route but on this occasion he tends to stick to the facts.

• Like 2

Graph from vid above, and if the Wuling would have sold for ฿200k or less, I probably would have bought that, and kept the ICE for O&As .... maybe.

Was ฿400k ish + registration free, so a bit silly priced for the specs.  I would have bought that instead of the scooter though, if priced right.

About ฿150k cheaper now with govt incentive.

Untitled.png

Edited by KhunLA

3 minutes ago, KhunLA said:

Graph from vid above, and if the Wuling would have sold for ฿200k or less, I probably would have bought that, and kept the ICE for O&As .... maybe.

Was ฿400k ish + registration free, so a bit silly priced for the specs.  I would have bought that instead of the scooter though, if priced right.

About ฿150k cheaper now with govt incentive.

Untitled.png

Thai price more than double the China price !!, looks like Sea Lion could be out my budget … by a long way !!

4 hours ago, sathornlover said:

Unfortunately, this does not work navigation and Ora voice assistant only in Thai. There is also no English manual for the car neither as a book nor online offered in Thailand.

Voice assistant can unfortunately not be deactivated has at least in the early days very often unrequested, radio e.g. turned on when my wife drives with and we usually talk in Thai.

Google Maps works via CarPlay so delayed that it is not usable and apparently other customers have the same problem. Complaints have so far led to no problem resolution ...

Sounds all not good I am despite all this quite happy with the car ,-)

Google Maps via Android auto of Ora good cat requires a pretty new/fast phone. 

My old realme 5 is almost unusable, my gf new Oppo works fast and smooth 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

22 hours ago, Bandersnatch said:

My MG voice controls are in Thai but I connect my iPhone to Apple car play and use Google Maps in English. The voice control button on the steering wheel then connects to Siri for “play Sting on Spotify” etc

That makes sense...

5 minutes ago, Andrew Dwyer said:

Tired of the same old options ?, 5 seats not enough ? …….. 7 seats too many ? ……. how about 6 ?.

6 direction electronic adjustment driver seat ? ……… boring !! ..… how about 12 ?

6 speakers ?, 8 speakers ? …….. try 17 !!

How many screens would you like ? How many sunroofs ?

Need something a little bit flashier to impress that cashier in 7 or Mini Big C ?

Wait no longer.

Welcome to the HiPhi X

A stereo system on wheels. Remi ds me of installing woofers, tweeters, amps, bass speakers in my truck when I was in HS. You could play the music loud if you wanted or low and full of surround sound options.

When my truck was wrecked we cut the doors off and hung them in the barn where we connected them to an 8 track player....

Times Group Network = "PAID NEWS" ... is not news.  Companies (think fossil fuel corp.) or anyone, pay to have articles written and published - wiki

... nuff said

Owner(s) The Times Group

Sister newspapers The Economic Times
Navbharat Times
Maharashtra Times
Ei Samay
Mumbai Mirror
Vijaya Karnataka
Bangalore Mirror
Times Now News

In the author's defense, last July, she wrote a blip:

5 benefits of buying an electric car

Edited by KhunLA
  • Haha 1

17 hours ago, Andrew Dwyer said:

Tired of the same old options ?, 5 seats not enough ? …….. 7 seats too many ? ……. how about 6 ?.

6 direction electronic adjustment driver seat ? ……… boring !! ..… how about 12 ?

6 speakers ?, 8 speakers ? …….. try 17 !!

How many screens would you like ? How many sunroofs ?

Need something a little bit flashier to impress that cashier in 7 or Mini Big C ?

Wait no longer.

Welcome to the HiPhi X

The HiPhiX looks like a very cool car. I am not familiar with the brand hopefully it will come to Thailand, the more options we have the better.

• Like 2

39 minutes ago, Bandersnatch said:

The HiPhiX looks like a very cool car. I am not familiar with the brand hopefully it will come to Thailand, the more options we have the better.

Yes, some interesting stuff on there, not sure my old ears warrant 17 speakers but the little lady would appreciate the front passenger screen !

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Haha 1

46 minutes ago, Andrew Dwyer said:

the little lady would appreciate the front passenger screen !

Mine likes EVs as they don’t have a transmission tunnel and many have a space for a hand bag. The “handbag test” is required for any new EV we sit in.

IMG_0593.jpeg.de0a4c66c156a9394f87d333fe521342.jpeg

• Love It 1
  • Haha 1

11 minutes ago, Bandersnatch said:

Just bought another EV, only cost ฿30,640 after government EV incentives.

60km range per change 

removable battery (replacement ฿10,000)

IMG_0603.thumb.jpeg.2f89c95587c8bcd195e5fe8d0b52c1b9.jpeg

Road Tax ฿50 per year.

https://decogreenenergy.com/index.php/en/

IMG_0602.thumb.jpeg.481b985f61234ab9b7dc31c05b151d6d.jpegIMG_0601.thumb.jpeg.acc8400c67b9ebc007a7a67c76f374f7.jpegIMG_0595.thumb.jpeg.5c9b61c0543c1fdff6eb110ca3dee290.jpegIMG_0594.thumb.jpeg.352049f0749c80eaeba8101ac55f5fa6.jpeg

Very nice.

Surprised it passed the handbag test though !

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, Bandersnatch said:

Just bought another EV, only cost ฿30,640 after government EV incentives.

I went to visit my local Deco dealer in June 2022 but the government EV incentives weren’t available. Glad I waited 

IMG_0605.jpeg.ee4ecc0f3d6070997ad96f6404755bcd.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Love It 1

So, if the HiPhi X was too extravagant for you then try the HiPhi Z .

Okay so it has a couple more speakers and and a couple more adjustments for the drivers seat ( apparently 12 wasn’t quite cutting it ! ) but the rest is a bit more normal.

Except for the dancing screen , now that’s a whole new level of unnecessary tech !!

• Like 1