You are not logged in ▶️ Click to sign-up or login ×
ASEANNOW Official TikTok account is now LIVE! -Follow Us! ×

A first for me with Thai Immigration

My "under consideration" end date was last Monday 18th.

I have called (Pathum Thani) Immigration office every day ( incl 18th) and answer is "your visa (No it's a Extension!!) is not yet* approved, call back tomorrow". * Some answers are that "your Visa is not approved"!!! Which is a bit disconcerting!!

Today, Friday 22nd, have tried all day to call but their 2 numbers are continuously engaged ( busy tone).

This has never happened before in many years of extensions! I guess because of the long Songkran holiday break?

Their phone system doesn't even have a queueing (?) system with a nice person telling you that your call is important to us (NOT!!) and someone will answer you as soon as possible......just "beep,beep,beep"

So I have no choice but to wait until Monday and start trying again!

1 minute ago, Iamfalang said:

I went in-person.  I'm pretty sure you have to go in-person to the same place.  I'll let the experts confirm.   

I was told ( and always have been) that I MUST call first and they even staple a small piece of paper with their phone number on it under the "under consideration" stamp.

( over the years I have always phoned first to check - as instructed by them.)

Certainly not driving 20 minutes through the traffic to the Imm office, just to be told "sorry not hab yet.....try again tomorrow"

It's hard to believe that their phone is constantly engaged - must be a fault of someone has not replaced the phone receiver??

• Like 1

You just go back a few days before the end of your ‘under consideration period’... 

They (Immigration) will have approved your extension by then. 

There is no point calling them. They don’t care and they gave you the Thai standard ‘no have / cannot’ response to fob you off. 

The only thing to do is go there - thats it (don’t over think it or call etc... you won’t get an accurate response). 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, orchidfan said:

I was told ( and always have been) that I MUST call first and they even staple a small piece of paper with their phone number on it under the "under consideration" stamp.

Certainly not driving 20 minutes through the traffic to the Imm office, just to be told "sorry not hab yet.....try again tomorrow"

It's hard to believe that their phone is constantly engaged - must be a fault of someone has not replaced the phone receiver??

A couple of years ago when I used an extension of stay I was not told to call and check first.

I just went after 2 weeks (because I was due to fly out) -  it was already approved. 

You’ll make like awkward for yourself if you start putting up your own brick walls expecting a phone response etc and refusing to travel because of 20mins traffic.... 

Just accept that you need to go there and pick it up...   

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

You just go back a few days before the end of your ‘under consideration period’... 

They (Immigration) will have approved your extension by then. 

There is no point calling them. They don’t care and they gave you the Thai standard ‘no have / cannot’ response to fob you off. 

The only thing to do is go there - thats it (don’t over think it or call etc... you won’t get an accurate response). 

Noted, but I am guessing that the Songkran holiday break has put them behind.

They always politely ask for the "Visa number" ( had written number above the U/consideration stamp ending in /65), then I can hear them going through the incomming approvals from HQ, before politely saying that the Approval hasn't arrived yet

in the many years of extension approvals have never been "fobbed off" yet.

But come Monday, I may just drive out there and talk in person.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, ubonjoe said:

It is not unusual for the approval to be done later than the report back date.

I would guess that Division 3 is busy is the reason plus the holidays.

Nothing to worry about since the under consideration stamp allows you to stay until it is approved.

Thanks UJ - I'm not too worried. Just glad I hadn't planned travel or something after getting "the stamp". I can wait it out.

But if they (PT Imm) insist that you call first, they should have a phone answering system that can cope. But , yes I know, TIT

8 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

A couple of years ago when I used an extension of stay I was not told to call and check first.

I just went after 2 weeks (because I was due to fly out) -  it was already approved. 

You’ll make like awkward for yourself if you start putting up your own brick walls expecting a phone response etc and refusing to travel because of 20mins traffic.... 

Just accept that you need to go there and pick it up...   

Monday, will do.

29 minutes ago, orchidfan said:

when you arrive just tell them you did call and were told to report in person.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, it is what it is said:

when you arrive just tell them you did call and were told to report in person.

Thanks, it's all fixed now.

Read my last post.

My mistake in mis-reading the number. thinkingthe  hand writting "ones" were " sevens"!!

1 hour ago, orchidfan said:

UPDATE:

Just made one final phone call and was answered!!

It seems it might have been my fault because the hand writtem "Visa number" was in fact 4911, NOT 4077 which I had this week been quoting!

The IO who hand wrote this number of course made the "ones" on the shape of a "seven" - Thai style!!

No wonder they couldn't find it, but just now a very nice young lady ( mabe volunteer?) ascertained my country of origin and immediately found the right approval papers.

She laughed at the mistake ( crazy old farang!) and suggested I come in on Monday morning as traffic etc would be much easier than Friday afternoon.

So , all fixed - and very politely and in good humour!!  

Haha....  Love it.... 

Its often the simple things that catch us out.... 

Obvious in hindsight.... 

But... I do wonder... Who was answering the 4077 number ???? and did they just not understand so said ‘no have’ ??? 

Edited by richard_smith237

2 hours ago, orchidfan said:

I think my "problem" comes under the heading of....

It was all a misunderstanding !!!!

I bet you double check that number before you leave the office next time around. ????

20 hours ago, orchidfan said:

I would go there at least 1 time and ask if there is something wrong or this delay is because of holidays. You are calling them every day means you really worry about it. And you are lazy for a 20 min drive... if nothing on monday again, go there on tuesday. Nothing to lose.

But as Ubon said and probably correct its only because of holidays and im also sure because of covid and so on they must be very busy

15 minutes ago, problemfarang said:

I would go there at least 1 time and ask if there is something wrong or this delay is because of holidays. You are calling them every day means you really worry about it.

Read earlier OP post......

"It seems it might have been my fault because the hand writtem "Visa number" was in fact 4911, NOT 4077 which I had this week been quoting" 

All sorted now. 

Edited by DrJack54

10 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

It's a common mistake. 

Note the month in attachment.

IMG_20220423_110558_226.jpg

Yes, that's almost exactly how the IO had written the "ones". But even more styled like a "seven".

I had my pp in front of me quoting what I thought was the correct number. 

Thank goodness the very pleasant and well spoken young lady yesterday decided to go the extra step and identify me by nationality (which they have some difficulty pronouncing !) And name. 

• Like 1

Called Chaiyaphum for three consecutive days to find out if my extension was ready for collection......engaged tone.

Finally got through Friday am......I explained my extension is due on  Sunday, can I collect it Monday....yes, but you will be fined 500 baht for being late.....and 500 baht every day after that.

Jumped in the car.

Edited by Will B Good
  • Sad 1

4 minutes ago, Will B Good said:

Called Chaiyaphum for three consecutive days to find out of my extension was ready for collection......engaged tone.

Finally got through Friday am......I explained my extension is due on  Sunday, can I collect it Monday....yes, but you will be fined 500 baht for being late.....and 500 baht every day after that.

Jumped in the car.

Classic case of miscommunication. Obviously, the person who spoke to you did not understand that you already had an extension under consideration. Even taking that into account, you were still given an incorrect answer: applying the first business day is allowed if your permission to stay expires when the office is closed.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, BritTim said:

Classic case of miscommunication. Obviously, the person who spoke to you did not understand that you already had an extension under consideration. Even taking that into account, you were still given an incorrect answer: applying the first business day is allowed if your permission to stay expires when the office is closed.

Had my suspicions that might be the case, but losing the will to argue with these people......cheers.

Like a broken record, I will say it yet one time.  Use an Argent and all your worries/angst/anger goes away.  Its not about trying to cheat the system, using a legit agent is working within what is a complicated and sometimes dysfunctional system. 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Doctor Tom said:

Like a broken record, I will say it yet one time.  Use an Argent and all your worries/angst/anger goes away.  Its not about trying to cheat the system, using a legit agent is working within what is a complicated and sometimes dysfunctional system. 

I don't use an agent and have never had a problem.

Yes it is a broken record. 

12 minutes ago, Doctor Tom said:

How many provinces do you think have agents available to help at the immigration?

I would guess less about 8 maybe.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

I don't use an agent and have never had a problem.

Yes it is a broken record. 

You are very lucky, many of us have had issues with the system and with IOs making up new rules, or interpreting them in different ways.  This forum and its many posts confirm that experience for many, as does the need for Ubon Joe's excellent advice on many questions and issues to do with immigration.  Just because you use an Agent for a one off problem, doesn't mean that you are wedded to them forever, so long as you are not using one to get over the extension requirements, that is not what I support at all.  

• Haha 1

7 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

How many provinces do you think have agents available to help at the immigration?

I would guess less about 8 maybe.

yes true, but many legit visa agents work across provinces, where they are not necessarily physically located.  My agent in Jomtein operates across a few neighboring provinces and has an online service.  

11 minutes ago, Doctor Tom said:

yes true, but many legit visa agents work across provinces, where they are not necessarily physically located.  My agent in Jomtein operates across a few neighboring provinces and has an online service.  

This thread is about a chap that misread some numbers. 

Namely 7,s for 1,s and you extrapolate this to use of agents. 

Ummm

Edited by DrJack54