Large Department Store Refuses to Give Free Bag

Banana7

On 5/3/2022 at 4:29 PM, Yellowtail said:

Where do you shop that you consider B8,000 a "big sale" at a large department store?

Every shopping mall in Pattaya, and most supermarkets. This is a big sale for consumable goods. Obviously you're trying to give the impression you're a big spender, who regularly spends over 8000 baht. How much must one spend on consumable goods to be considered a big spender, by your standards?

A customer that is disgruntled because they they think they should be entitled to a free bag when everyone else has to pay.

You don't know that everyone has to pay. Would a Thai customer get a free bag? Possibly. In this case, the customer spent a lot and did deserve a free bag. You're entitled to your opinion. It was not worth losing a sale over the cost of a free bag.

I think it a good bet that at least as many people applaud the store for not caving to some loudmouthed piker's demands. 

That would be a lousy bet and you'd lose. You're welcome to prove your point and conduct a survey.

Customers are not always right. What if they refused to be served by a gay person, should the store bring over another cashier, or move the customer to the front of another line?  

What if this and what if that? You could dream up a thousand scenarios in which you think the customer is wrong. The problem is you're taking this expression literally. It means that the store should make a concerted effort to keep customers happy. Even so, your example about gay customers was very lame considering how liberal Thai people are toward sexuality, especially in Pattaya.

A few discreet bags tucked away that would allow them to circumvent the rules to satisfy the "big-spending", loudmouthed piker, which in turn shows to anyone (particularly kids) watching that if they just get noisy enough they'll get their way. 

I had no idea that fabric bags were circumvening the no plastic bag rule?

What about a "big-spending", quiet and repectful customer who kindly asked for something to carry his purchase in?

Yes, by all means, let's make the people following the rules pay for the loudmouths that think the rules do not apply to them. 

Please explain what your comment has to do with what I said about 7Eleven bag policy?

You use the word "loudmouth" a lot. Perhaps you are one of those yourself as it seems you're typing faster than you think.

An the loudmouthed piker has had two years to learn he's going to need to either take a bag with him. or buy one when he gets there. 

Yet another use of "loudmouthed piker". Next time, try quoting the whole post instead of wasting your time seperating it into sentences that generally has achieved little more than allowing you to practice typing "loudmouthed piker" over and over in an expression of rage.

Edited by JensenZ

5 minutes ago, JensenZ said:

Every shopping mall in Pattaya, and most supermarkets. This is a big sale for consumable goods. Obviously you're trying to give the impression you're a big spender, who regularly spends over 8000 baht. How much must one spend on consumable goods to be considered a big spender, by your standards?

Please try to follow along. The OP claimed to be at a big department store, not at a supermarket. Yes, 8,000 would be a big sale at a supermarket, and one would likely need more than one bag. 

You don't know that everyone has to pay. Would a Thai customer get a free bag? Possibly. In this case, the customer spent a lot and did deserve a free bag. You're entitled to your opinion.

It's been my experience that the bag policies are applied universally. You think the staff charges foreigners for bags and gives them away free to Thais, and you're entitled to your opinion. 

What's not n opinion is that the the law/rules say no one gets free bags.

That would be a lousy bet and you'd lose. You're welcome to prove your point and conduct a survey.

Just reading this thread shows how wrong you are. 

What if this and what if that? You could dream up a thousand scenarios in which you think the customer is wrong. The problem is you're taking this expression literally.

You stated it literally, and indicated the employee should break the rules to give some loudmouthed customer a free bag. 

It means that the store should make a concerted effort to keep customers happy. 

As long as the store does not have to break the law/rules to do it, yes.

What about a "big-spending", quiet and repectful customer who kindly asked for something to carry his purchase in?

What if this and what if that? You could dream up a thousand scenarios. Let's just stick to this one. 

Please explain what your comment has to do with what I said about 7Eleven bag policy?

Please explain what 7-11's bag policy has to do with my comment. 

You use the word "loudmouth" a lot. Perhaps you are one of those yourself as it seems you're typing faster than you think.

Perhaps

Yet another use of "loudmouthed piker". Next time, try quoting the whole post instead of wasting your time seperating it into sentences that generally has achieved little more than allowing you to practice typing "loudmouthed piker" over and over in an expression of rage.

I hope I'm in line behind you next time you're in line begging for a free bag, I'll buy one for you. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

9 minutes ago, Andre0720 said:

Your reasons are sound and reasonable. You do not want to carry bags with you, perhaps not even knowing if you would need them.

The alternative is that when you buy goods, you pay an additional 4 bahts for each bag needed,

Simple. The world has changed while you were sleeping...

Or arrange your life so that you have a plastic bag with you when you go shopping .

Organize your life so you specifically go shopping and then take a bag with you 

12 minutes ago, Andre0720 said:

Your reasons are sound and reasonable. You do not want to carry bags with you, perhaps not even knowing if you would need them.

The alternative is that when you buy goods, you pay an additional 4 bahts for each bag needed,

Simple. The world has changed while you were sleeping...

And what is dude wearing that he can't put a bag in his pocket, Speedos? 

• Haha 2

17 hours ago, JensenZ said:

You're wrong there (your last point). 7Elevens, which combined would probably be the biggest retailer in Thailand, give out free bags when you spend over 150 baht. Actually, they charge you for the bag and offer the 1.50 baht as a discount. You do realise the bags do not have to be plastic, but some biodegradable alternative.

A person who spends 10,000 in a store is not a "cry baby", but an important customer. How much money will these people spend in a year? Probably the owner, or shareholders would be pretty upset if they heard about this, and might even fire the staff incolved for not exercising common sense. Communication to the lower staff is the problem.

Going by your arrogant response, I would say the only person with the "superior attitude" here is you.

Very good post....But all the anti free bag nuts who post here, minds will not be changed...

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, redwood1 said:

Very good post....But all the anti free bag nuts who post here, minds will not be changed...

I went to 3 different shops today, 2/3 giving free bags. Bring in the military.....

I go to a large shop called Makro where they have a no bag policy. Its for bulk buys and wholesale  price style purchases. When I go shopping there I take a bag with me. I'm pretty sure the staff don't have bags to give to people.  Hundreds of people shop  there and enjoy the cheap prices and bring their own bags.

2 hours ago, redwood1 said:

To be clear, I was, and continue to be very much against the the no-bag rule/laws. That said, it is a rule/law that everyone is expected to abide, so I am very much against making exceptions for loudmouthed pikers (big-spending or otherwise) demanding they be provided a bag for free that everyone else has to pay for. 

• Like 1

21 hours ago, JensenZ said:

You're wrong there (your last point). 7Elevens, which combined would probably be the biggest retailer in Thailand, give out free bags when you spend over 150 baht. Actually, they charge you for the bag and offer the 1.50 baht as a discount. You do realise the bags do not have to be plastic, but some biodegradable alternative.

A person who spends 10,000 in a store is not a "cry baby", but an important customer. How much money will these people spend in a year? Probably the owner, or shareholders would be pretty upset if they heard about this, and might even fire the staff involved for not exercising common sense. Communication to the lower staff is the problem.

Going by your arrogant response, I would say the only person with the "superior attitude" here is you.

Not really a superior attitude at all thought yours veers that way.

If I were to go out and spend 9,000 on 3 bottles of alcohol, then spending another 4 baht would not break my bank.

It appears to me that the OP had a tantrum and spit his dummy out of his pram. By leaving in a huff to buy his goods elsewhere he will have spent much more than 4 baht he was asked for a bag.

To me the cost of the bag is negligible and not even worth considering. My response to the cashier would be an apology for not bringing my own bag, and can you sell me 3 bags please, in case I forget next time.

No face lost on either side. I am happy, the cashier is happy and the store is also happy.

1 hour ago, The Hammer2021 said:

I go to a large shop called Makro where they have a no bag policy. Its for bulk buys and wholesale  price style purchases. When I go shopping there I take a bag with me. I'm pretty sure the staff don't have bags to give to people.  Hundreds of people shop  there and enjoy the cheap prices and bring their own bags.

To be fair, haven't Makro always had this no bag policy? I got caught out when it first opened.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, billd766 said:

If I were to go out and spend 9,000 on 3 bottles of alcohol, then spending another 4 baht would not break my bank.

It appears to me that the OP had a tantrum and spit his dummy out of his pram. By leaving in a huff to buy his goods elsewhere he will have spent much more than 4 baht he was asked for a bag.

To me the cost of the bag is negligible and not even worth considering. My response to the cashier would be an apology for not bringing my own bag, and can you sell me 3 bags please, in case I forget next time.

No face lost on either side. I am happy, the cashier is happy and the store is also happy.

And who would ant to risk carrying three bottles of liquor in a single SC plastic bag?  

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, jacko45k said:

To be fair, haven't Makro always had this no bag policy? I got caught out when it first opened.

When did it first open? I've been trading with them for twenty years. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, jacko45k said:

AFAIR Makro have never had a policy of giving or selling bags every time I visit the store.

I use the Makro in Kamphaeng Phet and I have noticed they are now selling bags as a separate item.

I use them for bulk shopping once a month.

My bags are in the truck and nowadays either the trolley recovery guys or one of the security staff take my trolley for me and help to pack the stuff in the truck and take the trolley away for me. I usually give them 20 baht for the help they give, because at 77 it gets harder to do every month.

9 minutes ago, Yellowtail said:

I have recollections of it being newish around 2009? Sound right ( I thought it was a few years sooner)?

Yes....

Edited by jacko45k

2 minutes ago, billd766 said:

AFAIR Makro have never had a policy of giving or selling bags every time I visit the store.

I use the Makro in Kamphaeng Phet and I have noticed they are now selling bags as a separate item.

I use them for bulk shopping once a month.

My bags are in the truck and nowadays either the trolley recovery guys or one of the security staff take my trolley for me and help to pack the stuff in the truck and take the trolley away for me. I usually give them 20 baht for the help they give, because at 77 it gets harder to do every month.

The bags Macro sells are pretty good quality.

I order most everything online from them and have it all delivered anymore.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, jacko45k said:

I have recollections of it being newish around 2009? Sound right ( I thought it was a few years sooner)?

Yes....

I thought you were talking about Macro in general, not one specific location. 

1 minute ago, Yellowtail said:

I thought you were talking about Macro in general, not one specific location. 

Well we are in the Pattaya forum, they were certainly in Thailand sooner.

5 hours ago, Yellowtail said:

The bags Macro sells are pretty good quality.

I order most everything online from them and have it all delivered anymore.

I am not sure if they would deliver to me as I live 65km away. The good thing for me is I get out of the house and the area for the day.

On 5/7/2022 at 10:56 AM, JensenZ said:

Probably the owner, or shareholders would be pretty upset if they heard about this, and might even fire the staff incolved for not exercising common sense.

More likely to promote them for sticking to the rules under pressure.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Yellowtail said:

I don't  know about trading  with then but regarding shopping at Makro - they have no bags to offer - because most people do massive purchases  there - it would be impractical- whatever  the reason staff don't have bags to offer

On 5/7/2022 at 5:20 PM, JensenZ said:

You don't know that everyone has to pay. Would a Thai customer get a free bag? Possibly. In this case, the customer spent a lot and did deserve a free bag. You're entitled to your opinion. It was not worth losing a sale over the cost of a free bag.

What if this and what if that? You could dream up a thousand scenarios in which you think the customer is wrong. The problem is you're taking this expression literally. It means that the store should make a concerted effort to keep customers happy. Even so, your example about gay customers was very lame considering how liberal Thai people are toward sexuality, especially in Pattaya.

Makro doesn't give free bags - it's a policy- No they don't give free bags to thais to racially  spite foreigners LOL

Edited by The Hammer2021

11 minutes ago, The Hammer2021 said:

I don't  know about trading  with then but regarding shopping at Makro - they have no bags to offer - because most people do massive purchases  there - it would be impractical- whatever  the reason staff don't have bags to offer

The have nice heavy-duty bags at the register you can buy. To say most people are making massive purchased might be a stretch, at least in my experience. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/8/2022 at 2:15 PM, billd766 said:

You missed my point. Irrespective of whether you are a customer that is happy to pay for a bag, or a customer who doesn't like to pay for a bag because they feel entitled after spending a large sum, the point was about the business model. The big loser is the store, not the customer. They don't only lose one sale, but all sales to this customer in the future, which could be quite substantial. It's more petty for a store to not offer a free bad to a good customer. The customer still has his cash - cash is king - he can use it at many other places. Even if he carries a shopping next time he shops, he won't return to that store. I also made a point about how a disgruntled customer, no matter how petty you feel they might be, will cause negative advertising, by spreading the word.

This is not about me, or you. I personally would pay for the bag if I had none and not complain. I always carry bags with me when I shop. I recycle bags until they fall apart. This is not MY problem, but an assessment of a stupid business model by a retailer that probably cannot afford to turn away customers over the price of a bag.  

Edited by JensenZ
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 5/8/2022 at 8:18 PM, treetops said:

More likely to promote them for sticking to the rules under pressure.

The plastic bag rule is not a problem. Non-plastic, recycleable bags are quite easy to find. They can offer carry bag without breaking any rules.

On 5/7/2022 at 5:48 PM, Yellowtail said:

Please try to follow along. The OP claimed to be at a big department store, not at a supermarket. Yes, 8,000 would be a big sale at a supermarket, and one would likely need more than one bag. 

You could try to "follow along" yourself. There is only one Department Store in Pattaya, namely Central Festival Department Store. There is only one liquor outlet at Central Mall, which is downstairs in Tops Central supermarket. The liquor could only have been purchased at Tops Supermarket.

What's not n opinion is that the the law/rules say no one gets free bags.

No, definitely not my opinion as it is absurd. The law was introduced to cut down on plastic bag use, and had nothing to do with free bags. Any store has the right to offer recycleable carry bags.

You stated it literally, and indicated the employee should break the rules to give some loudmouthed customer a free bag

What about softly spoken customers who don't wish to buy a bag? At what volume will a customer be assessed as "loudmouthed"? Some people don't talk, just walk away if they are not happy about something. They don't argue. My wife is like that - non confrontational.

What if this and what if that? You could dream up a thousand scenarios. Let's just stick to this one.

No, everyone is different. Please refer to the above comment.

Just reading this thread shows how wrong you are. 

That's a lazy way to try to prove your point. I did not read the 12 pages of this thread. Considering you might have, how many people agree with you here?

Please explain what 7-11's bag policy has to do with my comment. 

I will explain that if you state what your comment was. As has been explained, 7-11's offer free bags for purchases over 150 baht, and charge 1.50 baht per bag below that threshhold.

I hope I'm in line behind you next time you're in line begging for a free bag, I'll buy one for you.

You would want to follow customers like me at checkouts. I'm about the fastest person to move through a checkout you've ever seen. At Big-C (for example), I toss my shopping into a cart as fast as the checkout person can scan my items... then I pack it into my own recycled plastic bags after I've paid. I reuse bags until they fall apart. I have plastic bags that date to before the ban, along with many fabric bags. The 7-11 bags last many months until they tear.

Edited by JensenZ