Large Department Store Refuses to Give Free Bag

Banana7

7 minutes ago, aussiexpat said:

Leaver is the self proclaimed business expert for any business he has never done, it must be amazing in his head how successful a business manager he should be lol

he thinks that a major department store w/many branches, should give the cashiers leeway to change pricing... so, Lek can give her aunt 10% discounts on everything... then mom should get what % off... and well, this is off in so many ways I can't begin to reply... 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, aussiexpat said:

Please tell us all your successful business ownership/management history to back up your constant posts how much smarter you are than than the average Pattaya business owner

Are you seriously suggesting you even need to be smart to run a bar here?  ????

• Confused 1
  • Sad 2

19 minutes ago, FolkGuitar said:

No one was EVER forced to buy a plastic bag. 

Correct, it was explained to the OP there was free bags available but was given the option to buy a 4 baht re-usable bag instead.

good customer service in my opinion,.

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, redwood1 said:

If I am ever FORCED to buy a bag,that bags going in the trash after one use....

Now why would you do that ?

Would it be an act of rebellion and showing your independence that NO ONE tells you what to do ?

Why would you bin a bag that you paid for ?

• Like 1

22 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

Exactly...   and this is the whole point of the Op... 

Anyone would feel aggrieved that they have been charged for a box if they have bought a load of wine etc....  So, why is having to pay for a bag any different in principle ??

IF I was in a store and bought 12 bottles of wine and they wanted to charge me 20 baht extra for the box to carry them in... I’d walk out !!!... 

But the box is being reused, so that's a good thing. That's also why the box is free, because it would otherwise end up in the rubbish bins.

A bag is brand new. The bags have been manufactured somewhere and purchased by the shop. 

Too much 'stuff' is produced these days, including fast fashion etc., not helped by cheap manufacturing in China. Landfills overflowing, countries exporting waste, global population (and therefore demand) ever increasing. 

Any moves which force people to reuse stuff is a good thing in my opinion. 

I'll gladly pay a 4bht 'fine' if I don't happen to have my own bag with me if it helps tackle the global waste epidemic. 

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, CG1 Blue said:

But the box is being reused, so that's a good thing. That's also why the box is free, because it would otherwise end up in the rubbish bins.

A bag is brand new. The bags have been manufactured somewhere and purchased by the shop. 

Too much 'stuff' is produced these days, including fast fashion etc., not helped by cheap manufacturing in China. Landfills overflowing, countries exporting waste, global population (and therefore demand) ever increasing. 

Any moves which force people to reuse stuff is a good thing in my opinion. 

I'll gladly pay a 4bht 'fine' if I don't happen to have my own bag with me if it helps tackle the global waste epidemic. 

The plastic bag and the paper box can both be recycled.  To me, that means they can both be reused. 

31 minutes ago, Leaver said:

The plastic bag and the paper box can both be recycled.  To me, that means they can both be reused. 

If the plastic bag was leftover packaging, then your point would be valid.

The box is leftover packaging being re-purposed. The bag was manufactured and bought by the retailer specifically to sell to customers who forgot to bring their own bags. 

Using boxes that were packaging reduces waste. Buying (or trying to get for free) new bags is adding to the world's waste. 

Just give away plastic bags 100% FREE 100% of the time like has been done for decades and there will be no need for the self righteous to be self righteous or for complainers to complain......

Edited by redwood1
  • Like 1
  • Sad 4

15 minutes ago, CG1 Blue said:

If the plastic bag was leftover packaging, then your point would be valid.

The box is leftover packaging being re-purposed. The bag was manufactured and bought by the retailer specifically to sell to customers who forgot to bring their own bags. 

Using boxes that were packaging reduces waste. Buying (or trying to get for free) new bags is adding to the world's waste. 

I am talking about giving the chemicals and the pulp another life. They can be turned into another product, and reused. 

31 minutes ago, redwood1 said:

Just give away plastic bags 100% FREE 100% of the time like has been done for decades and there will be no need for the self righteous to be self righteous or for complainers to complain......

I totally agree.

I bought a dozen "Top Ten" nutty choc ices today at a 7-11. She put the first 6 in a special silvery "insulating" bag and sellotaped it up, and then put the remaining 6 in another silvery bag, also sellotaped up. She then put both silvery bags in a plastic carrier bag.  Thanks, girl! ????

4 hours ago, redwood1 said:

Will you deliberately then throw the bags in the bin after using them once ?

17 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

Again..  this daft idea of carrying around an extra bag on your person on the offchance you need it. 

Just no !!!....   It’s big enough to notice, I don’t want anything but the absolute essentials in my pockets in these temperatures (don’t even carry keys).

You may have to break with the image and get a man bag! To put the shopping bag in! 

• Haha 1

17 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

Well, its created this discussion - so clearly charing for a non-plastic bag when spending over x amount is not considered acceptable consumer service.... 

It would be a smart move of the shop to air on the side of the customer rather than behaving in what may appear to be a penny pinching manner. 

Its about customer service and this shop are operating in a manner which contradicts this. 

So many people are suggesting carry around a bag at all times.

Why can’t these same people recognise that the shop could just swallow the cost (with a minimum spend) and not force the customer to carry bags around all the time ?

(Of course, if you have a car, motorbike, wife with a handbag! or back pack etc - its easy to carry your own shopping bag about, otherwise its just an irritation, people also forget). 

So here we get discrimination, the big spenders get free bags and we are back to the situation of them being polluters. We do seem to live in a society of cry babies. It is too hot to wear a mask, boo-hoo, carrying a little shopping bag is tedious, boo-hoo mummy. I keep one in the truck, and a very small one that is under the motorcycle seat, doesn't seem to be making my life awful and I much prefer the idea of less plastic bags blowing around. I have shorts with plenty pockets, since I dislike man-bags, very likely to be forgotten. 

• Like 2

On 4/25/2022 at 12:00 PM, richard_smith237 said:

Again..  this daft idea of carrying around an extra bag on your person on the offchance you need it. 

Just no !!!....   It’s big enough to notice, I don’t want anything but the absolute essentials in my pockets in these temperatures (don’t even carry keys).

Obviously too old to consider a manbag 'de rigeuer'. ????

11 hours ago, jacko45k said:
On 4/25/2022 at 8:08 AM, richard_smith237 said:

Well, its created this discussion - so clearly charing for a non-plastic bag when spending over x amount is not considered acceptable consumer service.... 

It would be a smart move of the shop to air on the side of the customer rather than behaving in what may appear to be a penny pinching manner. 

Its about customer service and this shop are operating in a manner which contradicts this. 

So many people are suggesting carry around a bag at all times.

Why can’t these same people recognise that the shop could just swallow the cost (with a minimum spend) and not force the customer to carry bags around all the time ?

(Of course, if you have a car, motorbike, wife with a handbag! or back pack etc - its easy to carry your own shopping bag about, otherwise its just an irritation, people also forget). 

Expand  

So here we get discrimination, the big spenders get free bags and we are back to the situation of them being polluters. We do seem to live in a society of cry babies. It is too hot to wear a mask, boo-hoo, carrying a little shopping bag is tedious, boo-hoo mummy. I keep one in the truck, and a very small one that is under the motorcycle seat, doesn't seem to be making my life awful and I much prefer the idea of less plastic bags blowing around. I have shorts with plenty pockets, since I dislike man-bags, very likely to be forgotten. 

Its ok, you are probably not mature enough to realise that some people have a preference no to carry a bag around on their person on off-chance they may pop into a shop later on in the day. 

No one has issues keeping shopping bags in their car or motorcycle...  with that and your discrimination comment you’re straw-manning the discussion towards stupidity. 

6 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

Its ok, you are probably not mature enough to realise that some people have a preference no to carry a bag around on their person on off-chance they may pop into a shop later on in the day. 

No one has issues keeping shopping bags in their car or motorcycle...  with that and your discrimination comment you’re straw-manning the discussion towards stupidity. 

If you don’t want to carry a bag then just carry 4BT. 
Call me if you need a loan. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Just now, LarrySR said:

If you don’t want to carry a bag then just carry 4BT. 
Call me if you need a loan. 

Again... so many dumb myopic over simplified responses...   this one is similar to the ‘if you don’t like it go home’ mindset of responses. 

The Op was not happy with having to pay for a bag when with his purchase. 

That I understand. 

That understanding is what some people are struggling to get to grips with and are instead attacking the Op with dumbed down oversimplified ‘just carry a bag’ type responses. 

Some people (yourself included) are clearly missing the point that this is somewhat of an own-goal from the perspective of customer service. 

Your comment is an own-goal from the perspective of providing an intelligent response !! :passifier:

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Haha 1

56 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

I am smart enough  to know in advance when I will be going shopping though! Usually the car or motorcycle is nearby, or I have 4 baht at least in my pocket. 

Edited by jacko45k
  • Like 1

11 minutes ago, jacko45k said:

I am smart enough  to know in advance when I will be going shopping though!

I'm not smart, but happy. As someone who has bought a sumptuous three piece living room suite just because I walked past it, and on another occasion a huge store shop window definitely-not-for-sale Christmas tree display (the latter leaving a massive space in the window but a very gratified window dresser) I'm living, breathing proof of the existence of people who do not know that they are going shopping. And I'm happier for it. ????

23 hours ago, aussiexpat said:

Please tell us all your successful business ownership/management history to back up your constant posts how much smarter you are than than the average Pattaya business owner

It was clarified a while back in one of the bar threads he had never owned, managed or even worked in any of the businesses he was offering (poor) advice to, and I think he's made it clear that applies to shopping venues too.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, richard_smith237 said:

Again... so many dumb myopic over simplified responses...   this one is similar to the ‘if you don’t like it go home’ mindset of responses. 

The Op was not happy with having to pay for a bag when with his purchase. 

That I understand. 

Do you understand that he could have asked for a free box, and avoided making a scene?

No one is forced to buy a plastic bag.  No one is forced to carry a bag at all times. There are always boxes available for free in just about every store. The OP just wanted to demand something that wasn't available.

• Like 2