Large Department Store Refuses to Give Free Bag

Banana7

3 hours ago, FolkGuitar said:
13 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

.. do we now how to wonder how we will carry it home or have to pay a ‘surcharge’ for that privilege ?

Not at all. We just bring our own bag like everyone else.  Or ask for a box.  Very simple.

Want to use a basket... thats 20 baht...  Well, you should have brought your own basket if you don’t want to pay the basket surcharge !!!!

Where do you draw the line on the ‘extras’.... 

Where do you draw the line at thinking up ridiculous scenarios?  The ban on single-use plastic bags was created to reduce plastic waste, not to create surcharges. That's just a happy bonus for the retailers.  ????

11 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

But carrying around your own bag (when on foot).... no thanks. 

I carry a tiny card wallet and phone...  thats it.

Times change.  Change isn't painful. It's reluctance to change that's painful.

5 hours ago, redwood1 said:

I will say I create a hell of a fuss and make people uncomfortable in any shop that does not have bags......And no I will not be taking my own bag ever.. 

Temper tantrums are pretty childish, aren't they?  When you act this way, people feel embarrassed for YOU, not for the cashier or store manager. They feel embarrassed that a grown man is behaving like a child.

Well, its created this discussion - so clearly charing for a non-plastic bag when spending over x amount is not considered acceptable consumer service.... 

It would be a smart move of the shop to air on the side of the customer rather than behaving in what may appear to be a penny pinching manner. 

Its about customer service and this shop are operating in a manner which contradicts this. 

So many people are suggesting carry around a bag at all times.

Why can’t these same people recognise that the shop could just swallow the cost (with a minimum spend) and not force the customer to carry bags around all the time ?

(Of course, if you have a car, motorbike, wife with a handbag! or back pack etc - its easy to carry your own shopping bag about, otherwise its just an irritation, people also forget). 

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1
  • Thanks 1

22 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

Again..  this daft idea of carrying around an extra bag on your person on the offchance you need it. 

Just no !!!....   It’s big enough to notice, I don’t want anything but the absolute essentials in my pockets in these temperatures (don’t even carry keys).

Not at all a daft idea as evidenced by this thread, that's only your opinion.

I think you might be overegging it a bit saying it's big enough to notice just to emphasise your point, but that's up to you of course.  As before, I carry one almost all the time and am never aware it's there unless I put my hand in my pocket.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, FolkGuitar said:

.. do we now how to wonder how we will carry it home or have to pay a ‘surcharge’ for that privilege ?

Not at all. We just bring our own bag like everyone else.  Or ask for a box.  Very simple.

Not really…

Carrying a box around - no, that’s just awkward. 
Carrying a bag with you all day - prefer not to. 
Pay 4 baht for a bag - ok, if I have to.

Shop gives a non plastic bag - best option. 

I understand people who think having to pay for a bag is cheeky, especially when spending a few thousand baht. 

6 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

Not really…

Carrying a box around - no, that’s just awkward. 
Carrying a bag with you all day - prefer not to. 
Pay 4 baht for a bag - ok, if I have to.

Shop gives a non plastic bag - best option. 

I understand people who think having to pay for a bag is cheeky, especially when spending a few thousand baht. 

Not cheeky at all.

they sell the bags for profit.

No different to buying a 4 baht bag and the demanding they give you the booze for free to put in the bag...

14 hours ago, aussiexpat said:

Or you could just pay the 4 baht for the sale of a plastic bag to safely carry your 9000 baht alcohol, problem solved

Go back an re-read the orginal post which clearly states, in the first paragraph fourth sentence, the bag is not plastic! At a minimum, can you please read the post and comprehend it ? Many other replies in this thread seemed to missed that important fact.

I guessed that there would be lots of people against plastic bags that is why I specifically stated the bag was not plastic.

Agreed.... never liked those thin crappy plastic bags...  I’d prefer the ‘free’ cloth bag, the same ones that Villamarket give out (I think its with a minimum spend)...   there simple solution which is actually better than the original thing. 

Strong, long lasting, free advertising, as well as a reminder laying around the customer's house to go and shop at Villa again, plus better for the environment, and also being complimentary it gives the customer some satisfaction.  

Compare that, to a manager refusing to give a 4 baht plastic bag to secure a 9000 baht sale. 

• Like 1

15 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

Exactly...   and this is the whole point of the Op... 

Anyone would feel aggrieved that they have been charged for a box if they have bought a load of wine etc....  So, why is having to pay for a bag any different in principle ??

IF I was in a store and bought 12 bottles of wine and they wanted to charge me 20 baht extra for the box to carry them in... I’d walk out !!!... 

I would say thank you and happily pay the 20 baht. Having spent a few thousand baht on wine, 20 baht is nothing. I have no doubt that the store would get someone to take it to my car and I would tip that guy as well.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Mac Mickmanus said:

What does that do for you ?

Does it make you feel important or give you sense of power over the shop assistants ?

Do you walk out the shop with a swagger , like a tough guy ?

Do you enjoy berating people and chastising them ?

Do you admire people when they get angry and have temper tantrums ?

It reminds me of my son having a tantrum because I said no to something he wanted. He would have been 4 or 5 at the time.

2 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

Well, its created this discussion - so clearly charing for a non-plastic bag when spending over x amount is not considered acceptable consumer service.... 

It would be a smart move of the shop to air on the side of the customer rather than behaving in what may appear to be a penny pinching manner. 

Its about customer service and this shop are operating in a manner which contradicts this. 

So many people are suggesting carry around a bag at all times.

Why can’t these same people recognise that the shop could just swallow the cost (with a minimum spend) and not force the customer to carry bags around all the time ?

(Of course, if you have a car, motorbike, wife with a handbag! or back pack etc - its easy to carry your own shopping bag about, otherwise its just an irritation, people also forget). 

Why can't people like you realise that what was the norm years ago is no longer the norm. I have no problem if you don't want to carry a bag, but most sensible people do carry a bag.

The problem with you and the OP is you overrate your importance for a principle.

If I ran my own business and you turned up moaning about not getting a free bag, I would give you one. I would also explain to you the managements right to bar certain people from entering my business premises. After all there are many other stores that you can use.

Please note that it is MY business and not yours and as the owner I certainly don't want whiners and freeloaders complaining all the time.

• Like 1

On 4/23/2022 at 1:38 AM, Jingthing said:

I've often been offered free bags by major stores without even asking. I think that policy changed at least temporarily because of the pandemic. 

Also the manager could have paid the 4 baht out of his own pocket. Not for all customers. For this one odd bird one time to shut him up. 

The manger who earns next to nothing should pay out of his own pocket because somebody who drinks 8-9K alcohol doesn't want to? He should have paid for the bag and tipped the staff a couple of hundred to say sorry for his behavior.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

6 hours ago, 1FinickyOne said:

what if the op wanted a free pack of gum? Or a tee shirt? 

What if all the OP wanted was a 4 baht piece of plastic that enabled him to purchase 9000 baht worth of products? 

How would you train your staff?

I would train them with some autonomy.  Eg.  a free plastic bag for one packet of gum - no.  a free plastic bag for 20 boxes of gum - yes.  There's some wiggle room there also.  Should it only be 18 boxes of gum and the staff member gives a free bag - fine. 

Giving autonomy to staff makes them feel some responsibility and is good for staff development. 

I would doubt it is even a spoken rule that you do not give away merchandise that is for sale... The decision was made at the top not to have free bags. It is not the clerks call or the managers call... 

We don't know that it came from HQ.

I cannot even imagine a situation where I would ask a clerk for a free anything at a department store... 

Never asked for the free little spoon to eat the ice cream from a 7/11 or Family Mart?  I have.  What about a straw?  What if there was a surcharge to remove the bottle cap from a bottle?  Never asked for the cold disposable towel in a bar? 

Why should it be up to a company like Jim Beam or Coke to do a deal with the Thai supermarket to add a bag with a purchase of their product? 

Thailand isn't Africa, but you wouldn't think it, with cases like this.

And for all of you who bemoan the loss of what is a very very tiny sale in the whole of things...

After more than 2 years of covid, I would any decent sale is important.

as a business owner, we would always be glad when a customer like that would just leave. Are the customers waiting in line behind him thinking, if he gets something free, why don't I?

Or, are the customers waiting in line behind thinking, "what a tight a** company / manager, it's the last time I shop here also?"

The other answer I might offer - the customer is obviously being 'cheeky' and kind of a jerk... if it were a small business and you were the owner, wouldn't you rather give the discount to a nice customer than an arrogant one? 

No. 

The customer's money is all the same to business.

Your comment reminds me of that famous scene out of the movie "Pretty Women."  

I guess you are one of the business owners that don't believe "The customer is always right." 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Leaver said:

I guess you are one of the business owners that don't believe "The customer is always right." 

based on your replies, you have surely never even owned a small retail business... your answers are too ridiculous to warrant a reply... 

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, spidermike007 said:

What a completely bizarre reason to start a post. Over 5 baht? Really? Is this some sort of principal thing? Many stores are not using plastic bags anymore. The higher quality bags can be used many times. 

The real question is, is this the most petty post of the week? 

This is not a petty post....It show how people and companies buy into the no plastic bag insanity, and the no plastic straw insanity and the global warming insanity, and lot of other stupid things....

If I am ever FORCED to buy a bag,that bags going in the trash after one use....

If God had wanted humans to have bags with us 24/7 we would be Kangaroos... 

Edited by redwood1
  • Like 1
  • Sad 2
  • Haha 1

27 minutes ago, 1FinickyOne said:

based on your replies, you have surely never even owned a small retail business... your answers are too ridiculous to warrant a reply... 

Leaver is the self proclaimed business expert for any business he has never done, it must be amazing in his head how successful a business manager he should be lol

Edited by aussiexpat
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, aussiexpat said:

Leaver is the self proclaimed business expert for any business he has never done, it must be amazing in his head how successful a business manager he should be lol

I know if I owned a bar I would never ask a customer to move onto a table of strangers and incur the wrath of a customer like yourself on a forum such as this.   ????

2 minutes ago, Leaver said:

Fail.

Please tell us all your successful business ownership/management history to back up your constant posts how much smarter you are than than the average Pattaya business owner

• Like 1