Large Department Store Refuses to Give Free Bag

Banana7

1 hour ago, jacko45k said:
2 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

Its ok, you are probably not mature enough to realise that some people have a preference no to carry a bag around on their person on off-chance they may pop into a shop later on in the day. 

No one has issues keeping shopping bags in their car or motorcycle...  with that and your discrimination comment you’re straw-manning the discussion towards stupidity. 

Expand  

I am smart enough  to know in advance when I will be going shopping though! Usually the car or motorcycle is nearby, or I have 4 baht at least in my pocket. 

Are you really so smart ?... you can’t recognise the flawed customer service in asking a customer who has spend a decent sum of money for further money so he can carry his goods ??? 

I too am the same as you... Car always nearby, motorcycle always nearby, Wife with a bag always nearby, or I have money to buy a bag....   but thats not the point at all...  The point is a shop using a pretty crappy policy of charging the customer to be able to carry his shopping...  when stepping back the idea is preposterous...  thats why I understand the Op on this one. 

The government bows to pressure from the public and mandates no free bags, and then the public complains that they can no longer get free bags when a "large department store" abides the law.

Be it store policy or law, I applaud stores that follow the rules even when it costs them money.

If the store caves to every rude a-hole that gets noisy there will just be more and more a-holes and they will just get ruder and noisier. 

• Like 2

10 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

Are you really so smart ?... you can’t recognise the flawed customer service in asking a customer who has spend a decent sum of money for further money so he can carry his goods ??? 

I too am the same as you... Car always nearby, motorcycle always nearby, Wife with a bag always nearby, or I have money to buy a bag....   but thats not the point at all...  The point is a shop using a pretty crappy policy of charging the customer to be able to carry his shopping...  when stepping back the idea is preposterous...  thats why I understand the Op on this one. 

Are you really blinkered to what the thread is about? The OP behaved in a pedantic way, demanded free goods and acted like a colonial master. All else is superfluous. If shops were into giving out free bags to customers, we are back where we started. They  would be in breach of an agreement announced Sept. 6, 2020 between the Ministry of Natural Resources and Environment and the country’s largest retail chains. 

Anyhow, it has been done to death. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

The OP sounds like a raging alcoholic and not thinking straight.

Would have been super hilarious if the manager caved to his demands, gave him a bag, then as he walked away the bottom the bag tore out and the booze bottles hit the floor and shattered. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

5 hours ago, LarrySR said:

The OP sounds like a raging alcoholic and not thinking straight.

With respect, I find such a remark offensive. I wondered how you would react if such a comment was made about your health and state of mind. Whatever, the OP would have had no such problem in Siem Reap, Cambodia, where free single and multi use plastic bags and containers (for food and drink) are the "norm" as I have stated elsewhere. 

5 hours ago, jacko45k said:

If shops were into giving out free bags to customers, we are back where we started. They  would be in breach of an agreement announced Sept. 6, 2020 between the Ministry of Natural Resources and Environment and the country’s largest retail chains. 

And if the 2nd shop had insisted on charging him for the bags as they should have, it might have gotten him started on bringing his own in the future.

I wonder if he paid more for the alcohol at the 2nd store...

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Yellowtail said:

Well why not advise the OP to trade with "big department stores" in Siam Reap or Cambodia? 

Thanks, great idea - the money will then come to SIEM Reap, Cambodia and NOT Thailand!!

Edited by Burma Bill
additional information

23 minutes ago, Burma Bill said:

Thanks, great idea - the money will then come to SIEM Reap, Cambodia and NOT Thailand!!

Exactly. The OP blames the staff for following the rules, when he should blame the Thai government for making the bone-headed rules. 

It's no different than blaming a barmaid for telling you not to smoke in a bar. It's not their fault, they're just doing their job. Blame the people that make the rules. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

23 hours ago, FolkGuitar said:

Do you understand that he could have asked for a free box, and avoided making a scene?

No one is forced to buy a plastic bag.  No one is forced to carry a bag at all times. There are always boxes available for free in just about every store. The OP just wanted to demand something that wasn't available.

The bit that confuses me is that the OP is quite happy to lash out 9,000 baht on 3 bottles of alcohol but balks at paying 4 baht for a a bag to carry them in.

He must have known that he was shopping and spending a large amount and would need to get them home somehow.

8 hours ago, redwood1 said:

I will not let my mind be controlled by the greenies...

I support FREE plastic, Today, Tomorrow and Forever..

Denying man made climate change too I bet. 

Firmly in the deplorable camp I'll guess.

Edited by LarrySR
  • Like 2

On 4/23/2022 at 11:04 AM, Liverpool Lou said:

Yes, but why should he have done that, why shouldn't the customer pay for the bag just as every other customer, many spending more than him, has to?  

I clipped your bizarre assertion that every Thai manager is robbing his employer.

Something in their business model was seriously flawed. They lost out 3 ways:

1. Lost out on a big sale.

2. Lost out on all future sales to the disgruntled customer.

3. Suffered from social media advertising of this incident. Perhaps the store wasn't named here, but it will be named by Thai people if the same happens to them.

It's irrelevant what people think about the attitude of the disgruntled customer because customers are always right. They could have had a few discreet bags tucked away for big spenders. Some 7Elevens did this in the early days of the ban on plastic bags. They could have have non-plastic (fabric) bags to use in such situations. They've had 2 years to think about it.

Edited by JensenZ
  • Like 1
  • Confused 2
  • Haha 1

10 hours ago, JensenZ said:

Something in their business model was seriously flawed. They lost out 3 ways:

1. Lost out on a big sale.

Where do you shop that you consider B8,000 a "big sale" at a large department store? 

2. Lost out on all future sales to the disgruntled customer.

A customer that is disgruntled because they they think they should be entitled to a free bag when everyone else has to pay.

3. Suffered from social media advertising of this incident. Perhaps the store wasn't named here, but it will be named by Thai people if the same happens to them.

I think it a good bet that at least as many people applaud the store for not caving to some loudmouthed piker's demands. 

It's irrelevant what people think about the attitude of the disgruntled customer because customers are always right.

Customers are not always right. What if they refused to be served by a gay person, should the store bring over another cashier, or move the customer to the front of another line?  

They could have had a few discreet bags tucked away for big spenders.

A few discreet bags tucked away that would allow them to circumvent the rules to satisfy the "big-spending", loudmouthed piker, which in turn shows to anyone (particularly kids) watching that if they just get noisy enough they'll get their way. 

Some 7Elevens did this in the early days of the ban on plastic bags. They could have have non-plastic (fabric) bags to use in such situations.

Yes, by all means, let's make the people following the rules pay for the loudmouths that think the rules do not apply to them. 

They've had 2 years to think about it.

An the loudmouthed piker has had two years to learn he's going to need to either take a bag with him. or buy one when he gets there. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Not so much as a cashier or store manager not giving in to your request but more likely a case that one of them will have to pay that our of their already meager salary if they let you have it your way. 

• Like 1