Large Department Store Refuses to Give Free Bag

Banana7

50 minutes ago, aussiexpat said:

living 3 years in the past before policies limiting plastic bags became a thing around the world

With respect, not in my experience when regularly visiting Cambodia, Burma, Laos and Vietnam prior to Covid-19!!

10 minutes ago, aussiexpat said:
16 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

Or they can give you a non-plastic bag to carry your shopping in...  Problem solved !!!!! 

Or you could just pay the 4 baht for the sale of a plastic bag to safely carry your 9000 baht alcohol, problem solved

Which is exactly what I would have done....  

... it probably would have made me think W.TF for a movement.

But, because I can accept it, it does not mean I do not understand the Ops point. I don’t know why people are attacking the Op - I quite like the idea that he stood up to this issue.

It is cheeky of a store to ask for extra money just so someone can carry their shopping when they have spent a reasonable sum.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Lucky Bones said:

Maxwell Smart and Harry Hoo maybe?

I don't think I have (lately) walked into any shop without knowing how I would get my purchase home.

Amazing.

Just like ordering food in a restaurant... We don’t have to wonder if we are going to be given a knife and fork to eat it with.... 

The same in a shop... do we now how to wonder how we will carry it home or have to pay a ‘surcharge’ for that privilege ?

• Haha 1

23 hours ago, Mac Mickmanus said:

Why do you think that bags should be free ?

You are purchasing an item from a supermarket/Shop , why shouldnt you have to pay for it ?

Maybe you should also pay a surcharge for using a shopping trolley... 

Want to use a basket... thats 20 baht...  Well, you should have brought your own basket if you don’t want to pay the basket surcharge !!!! 

Where do you draw the line on the ‘extras’....  

• Like 1
  • Sad 1
  • Haha 1

10 hours ago, buddy2010 said:

A light backpack and all problems are solved!

So simple !

For whom that is also too heavy, should have his whiskey delivered ????

Meeting friends in the pub....  G’day cobba... how are things... all good here... 

hey... whats the small backpack for ???

Oh... just in case I pick something up on the way home... 

... What, you are carrying a bigger bag to carry a smaller packed bag which opens up into a bigger bag, for some shopping you may not get ???

Yup.. thats about right.... seemed the logical thing to do after reading that thread on aseannow about supermarkets charging for cloth bags !!! ????

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, aussiexpat said:

This is getting ridiculous now, another made up scenario. So if you only had 8,999 baht you'd do the same thing for one baht, or probably expect the cashier to pay it for you

It's not ridiculous, and could easily happen. 

Money Number One in Thailand.  They demand their 4 baht, and if I physically haven't got it in my pocket, they either concede, or lose a sale.  Whether that be for 1 bottle, or all three.  That's business.  Sometimes negotiations break down.   

Why is this scenario difficult for you to accept?

You keep focusing on the behavior of the OP, not a word said about the manager's business sense, and refuse to answer the question, "Would you run your own business like that?"

You are just trolling. 

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 3
  • Haha 1

24 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

Meeting friends in the pub....  G’day cobba... how are things... all good here... 

hey... whats the small backpack for ???

Oh... just in case I pick something up on the way home... 

... What, you are carrying a bigger bag to carry a smaller packed bag which opens up into a bigger bag, for some shopping you may not get ???

Yup.. thats about right.... seemed the logical thing to do after reading that thread on aseannow about supermarkets charging for cloth bags !!! ????

To be honest, I wouldn't trust 9000 baht of alcohol in a plastic shopping bag.  I would take and use my own fabric bag, but the strength of the shopping bags is off topic.

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, Leaver said:

To be honest, I wouldn't trust 9000 baht of alcohol in a plastic shopping bag.  I would take and use my own fabric bag, but the strength of the shopping bags is off topic.

This reminds me of a traumatic youthful event.

The very first time I bought bottles of booze legally at 18 the paper bag slipped out of my hand on the way to the car, yes, breaking the bottles.

Not expensive booze but expensive for me at 18.

I guess I was overly excited.

3 minutes ago, Meat Pie 47 said:

Where I live you can buy $5000 worth of liquor you won't get a free bag, bring your own bag or suffer !

That makes it more acceptable ??? 

Normalising something doesn’t make it acceptable - this ‘bag’ think has be pushed upon us under the guise of ‘environmental friendliness’... its not, just look at all the plastic packaging... the only one being inconvenienced is the consumer...  

• Sad 1
  • Haha 1

46 minutes ago, Leaver said:

Agreed.... never liked those thin crappy plastic bags...  I’d prefer the ‘free’ cloth bag, the same ones that Villamarket give out (I think its with a minimum spend)...   there simple solution which is actually better than the original thing. 

• Like 1

On 4/22/2022 at 10:22 PM, Mac Mickmanus said:

We are supposed to be trying to cut down on waste and the use of plastic bags is bad for the environment , you really should not be using new free plastic bags from shops , you should be taking your own bags .

Surprising that you made such a big fuss over a 4 baht bag , but in future you should take your own bags when going shopping 

I will say I create a hell of a fuss and make people uncomfortable in any shop that does not have bags......And no I will not be taking my own bag ever.. 

• Sad 1
  • Haha 2

5 hours ago, Mac Mickmanus said:

And a free house with a fridge to put your drinks in .

I seem to have turned into a Lefty 

Fridge had better come with a petite assistant wearing a french maid outfit to open and serve the beverages.

• Haha 1

9 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

Just like ordering food in a restaurant... We don’t have to wonder if we are going to be given a knife and fork to eat it with.... 

The same in a shop... do we now how to wonder how we will carry it home or have to pay a ‘surcharge’ for that privilege ?

I haven't heard of the 'no knife & fork' rule. 

Stores in Thailand stopped handing out bags a loooong time ago. The policy is to bring your own bag or purchase one that they conveniently offer. 

Haven't you noticed?

• Like 2

9 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

You are not GIVEN knifes and forks in restaurants , you cannot take the knife and fork home .

Even supermarkets have no stopped giving knifes and forks away with take away food (although some do give if you ask )

• Like 1