Glasses

lelapin

14 minutes ago, norfolkandchance said:

I got a prescription from Pattaya optical (B400)  vari vocals. Sent it off with my chose of glasses. Received glasses in under 2 weeks from China. Cost £70 for two pairs.

China does singing glasses now? ....My oh my, whatever next!????

23 minutes ago, norfolkandchance said:

After looking around Pattaya for deals on glasses I took advice from members on here and went with a company called ‘ Zenni ‘ based in America. I got a prescription from Pattaya optical (B400)  vari vocals. Sent it off with my chose of glasses. Received glasses in under 2 weeks from China. Cost £70 for two pairs.

Well satisfied.

Zenni are good and cheap, but as usual, you get what you pay for. I went to KT Optic and paid over Bht 25000 for vari focals with Essilor lenses (French). They were the best I have had in many many years, and still are.

I then sent off for a couple of 'spare' pairs from Zenni, who are actually based in Hong Kong, which were nice until after less than a year, the paint started coming off the frames and then the coating off the lenses. After several complaints, they sent me new frames and then a full new pair.  If you want to change specs every year or so, Zenni are great....Ford vs Rolls Royce.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

1 minute ago, BritManToo said:

I've probably only got 5 years left.

Two pair of Zenni, total $100, will probably last me out.

No point in being burned wearing 25,000bht glasses

Very valid point Mr BM2. But seeing as I've got them now, probably the result of too much dealings with Barclays Bank or watching to many J Arthur Rank movies, I guess I will be burned with my 25k specs on.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, KannikaP said:

If you want to change specs every year or so, Zenni are great....Ford vs Rolls Royce.

That was not my experience at all and found Zenni much better than any I had bought in USA or here at a fraction of the price.  But I did not buy the cheapest from Zenni so that might be a factor.  Ford/RR is not the factor it was 40 years ago - today most things can be made cheap and good, much to my amazement (also come from the expensive means quality generation).  

• Confused 1

19 minutes ago, JimTripper said:

The problem with Zenni is you have to use their frames for the lenses and end up wearing a cheap frame on your face all day. You can't fake it, everyone knows.

Can't say I've ever given a thought to the price of someone else's glasses.

Same as their walking stick, Zimmer frame, wheelchair, false eye/leg.

Just looked at my order history, I'm buying new ones every 2 years.

Ordered a new pair of varifocals (progressive) yesterday, $54 delivered.

Edited by BritManToo
  • Like 2

15 minutes ago, Yellowtail said:

What bugs about Zenni is that you can't try on the frames. I got go a pair from them and they're fine, but I don't really like the frames, particularly the way they fit. 

On the Zenni frames site, they show various dimensions, width, leg length etc. So compare those to one of your favourite frames first. I also found that the lovely girls in Top Charoen are quite prepared to adjust whichever make of frames you have.

On 4/24/2022 at 7:39 PM, lopburi3 said:

That was not my experience at all and found Zenni much better than any I had bought in USA or here at a fraction of the price.  But I did not buy the cheapest from Zenni so that might be a factor.  Ford/RR is not the factor it was 40 years ago - today most things can be made cheap and good, much to my amazement (also come from the expensive means quality generation).  

Sorry for the 'old' comparison. These days it should be Dacia vs Tesla !   LOL

My family and I really like OWNDAYS in Terminal 21.  Price, staff, selection of frames, warranties and turn around times can't be beat IMHO. Two days for some glasses. Japanese firm with hundreds of, well many, stores in asia.

On 4/27/2022 at 7:50 AM, Yellowtail said:

A little off topic, but for any old guys that fish, decent prescription sunglasses are a game-changer!

I have to have prescription sunglasses, since I was in my twenties. Bought two pair of prescription sunglasses from Zenni. Excellent. Note; if buying get polarized, with mirror shading, the more costly frames options. No time to be stinting, go stunning.  

Thailand used to have lots of good cheap optical shops. They have been replaced over the decades by 'glasses in a box', shop. The people they train to run them are ex tuk tuk drivers and 'Sow Chia Beer' girls.   

On 4/24/2022 at 7:11 PM, BritManToo said:

Quite, I found that once I got to late 60s I was needing new glasses every couple of years, usually around 6/7K a go. Why I opted for the surgery, already saved over 12K on the 40k it cost for the operations.

On 4/27/2022 at 6:49 AM, JimTripper said:

The problem with Zenni is you have to use their frames for the lenses and end up wearing a cheap frame on your face all day. You can't fake it, everyone knows.

The frames are very important, more so than the lenses IMO. And you can't choose frames from a picture.

I've been wearing the same frames, Ray-ban titanium, for 15 years now. Re-lensed twice now and still comfortable as ever, because I chose well to start with. 

1 hour ago, Moonlover said:

The frames are very important, more so than the lenses IMO

How can that be. The lenses are the bit you look through, and the frames hold those lenses in front of your eyes. Could be 'Lennon' style NHS jobs or designers, the lenses are what matter.

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, KannikaP said:
1 hour ago, Moonlover said:

The frames are very important, more so than the lenses IMO

32 minutes ago, KannikaP said:

How can that be. The lenses are the bit you look through, and the frames hold those lenses in front of your eyes. Could be 'Lennon' style NHS jobs or designers, the lenses are what matter.

Every face is individual. The shape, the width, ear position, distance between the eyes, nose shape, etc. Yes, you're right, the lenses are bits you look through, but it's the frames that place them in the right position, keep them there and above all have to be comfortable.

Anyone who's ever suffered from nose pinch, sores behind the ears, loose frames sliding down the nose or frames that go lopsided will know the wisdom of getting the frames right first and I maintain that you cannot choose the right frames on line.

Edited by Moonlover
  • Like 1

On 4/24/2022 at 7:39 PM, lopburi3 said:

I disagree that things can be made cheap and good. Quality cost money. Certain materials are just better then others. I am not saying that cheap can't be good but to say that you can make everything cheap and that cheap components don't matter is false. 

I got glasses too and if i pay more for my lenses then i know they are better. I tested it out how scratch resistant they were and the more expensive ones faired better then the cheap ones. The only question is is it worth it to you or not. I mean for certain things like glasses that i use a lot i dont mind paying for quality. 

• Like 1

On 4/24/2022 at 7:11 PM, BritManToo said:

But, on the other hand, judging from the posts you have made regarding your activities in recent years, perhaps it is in your best interests to ensure you are wearing your best kit on the day you meet Saint Peter.  How fashionable are your Zenni frames?

3 hours ago, avidflyer said:

My family and I really like OWNDAYS in Terminal 21.  Price, staff, selection of frames, warranties and turn around times can't be beat IMHO. Two days for some glasses. Japanese firm with hundreds of, well many, stores in asia.

My wife bought a pair from them in Udon Thani. They were rubbish. The hinges broke within 3 months. We got the frames replaced and not long after the lens coating begin to bubble up. I ended up stamping on them!

I've just recently bought her a new pair from Blue Eyes Optic, a new outlet in Lotus's in Sakon Nakhon. Very good service, good quality (so far) and Madam is very pleased.

2 hours ago, Moonlover said:

Every face is individual. The shape, the width, ear position, distance between the eyes, nose shape, etc. Yes, you're right, the lenses are bits you look through, but it's the frames that place them in the right position, keep them there and above all have to be comfortable.

Anyone who's ever suffered from nose pinch, sores behind the ears, loose frames sliding down the nose or frames that go lopsided will know the wisdom of getting the frames right first and I maintain that you cannot choose the right frames on line.

Exactly. Glasses are like shoes, if they fit/feel such that you can't wear them they're useless.