USAF Team to Visit Thailand to Assess F-35 Procurement Potential

snoop1130

12 minutes ago, HappyExpat57 said:

The US Air Force has repeatedly reported the F-35 is worthless, undependable, and very expensive. And those are its GOOD points!

Not only the US Air Force, many other countries worry. THailand is far better of with  a single kind of fighter now they have a mixed force, Northrop F5 (not sure they all retired) , Saab Viggen, F 16 and their transport planes are a mix as well. F16 with the newest upgrades would last another 30 years or so, the newest Saab are very good value for money. Absolutely no need for F35 or a mixed fleet. A lot of wasted money, even their Alpha jets can do the job.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, herfiehandbag said:

"Evidence"! It is a discussion, not a court of law!

Your opinion is that there are good reasons for the USA supplying F35s to Thailand, which should be obvious. They are not obvious to me, (and I rather suspect many others) and you supply no "evidence" of what those reasons may be; nor do you supply "evidence" that the chance of passing these "secrets" to China is zero.

In my opinion the US is sending a team to Thailand, as I suggested, as something of a face saving exercise. No "evidence", it is an opinion.

Totally agree, everyone has an opinion. nobody is supplying evidence!

• Like 1

I think it's a moot point whether the US will sell F35's to the Thai Air Force or not. Let's face it, they drive from the airport to their hotel will give them ample time to assess how the Thais handle cars, let alone aircraft, and that will be the end of the procurement deal. Then the Thais will be able to release the 13.8 billion to social programs to help the needy in their communities nationwide.....won't they????? (and by needy I mean hungry and homeless, not those seeking more expensive watches or another Ferrari!

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, HappyExpat57 said:

The US Air Force has repeatedly reported the F-35 is worthless, undependable, and very expensive. And those are its GOOD points!

You could be right, but why are there so many countries that want them? Are they all so stupid?

These are maintenance intensive aircraft.  Realistically a team of foreign maintainers will have to be part of the package.  The helmet alone costs over $200,000.  Even washing the aircraft has to be done a specific way as to not comprise the stealth nature of the surface.  I have always had doubts about how aircraft are maintained in Thailand but my concerns were alleviated when I saw a group of German Aircraft Maintenance managers at Don Muang.  Apparently these managers have the final say as to when aircraft are cleared to fly after maintenance.  

2 hours ago, ozimoron said:

Both are very much defensive. Only nuclear submarines are really offensive. Diesel submarines hunt ships and others subs.

F-35s typically kill over 20 adversary aircraft for every friendly loss in exercises aimed at honing pilot skills.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/lorenthompson/2019/05/13/how-a-super-agile-electronic-warfare-system-makes-f-35-the-most-invincible-combat-aircraft-ever/?sh=48c80d114382

Everything that makes it effective Thailand will not get.

It will be a stripped down version with none of the advanced electronics. 

Personally this is a deal to try to win Thailand over from the CCP, the problem Thailand is already in their pockets and deep!  The deal should be nix for many reasons as noted it will just be turn over to the CCP taken apart to steal and copy. 

There is no reason to sell any military hardware to Thailand why even bother to see it they are capable come on U.S. wake up and smell the coffee?

Thailand has one border only which needs "watching".

The Junta in this border country has been "provided" with at least one Chinese attack helicopter

so maybe better to buy a small squadron of equivalent helicopters as a deterrent 

3 minutes ago, Mr Meeseeks said:

The identity of this FMS customer buying this ‘tailored JSF variant,’ could be the matter of much speculation. Currently, barring Israel, all other JSF customers receive the standard variants.

so, yeah, just speculation. And there's nothing to suggest that it is advanced electronics which will be stripped out.

Edited by ozimoron

6 hours ago, hotchilli said:

While they may be capable of tweaking F16's this new stealth fighter is a bit more advanced.

I don't really understand this, you would think America would be selling the F-35's to Taiwan along with many Harpoon missiles that sink ships unless they want other countries to do the fighting for them if China attacks Taiwan.

Even a striped down version and I'm in for some flight hours.  Perhaps another more local pilot wants some hours in the #1 plane. Funny one post says something like "China is far from being in the hands of China"  maybe he forgot the word " South" in that sentence. 

Does anyone else find it odd how accepting the Thai populace is that many stars on major media, company owners, IG stars, have Chinese heritage.  I guess the same is true for luk Kreung. 

18 hours ago, Boomer6969 said:

My guess is that it is a Chinese order. US Stupid.

Very good point this????????????????
However if for some reason it wasn't i'd be pretty sure the USAF gents would inspect this gaff for maybe 5 mins, make their excuses and jump back on the first plane home.

5 hours ago, vandeventer said:

You could be right, but why are there so many countries that want them? Are they all so stupid?

Because they got discounts if they entered the program earley. It is also expensive to change as the existing weapons do not work on different airplanes made outside the US. (to carry nuclear bombs for example) 

Do not forget in many countries it are the politicians who decide, maybe not stupid but greedy for sure (money and power). The F104 starfighter for example (kick backs) Agusta helicopters (kickbacks) Mirages (work opportunities in the region etc etc) 

23 hours ago, DaddyWarbucks said:

Just what Thailand needs, more useless military hardware.

Those hi-tech planes can join the aircraft carrier docked in Sattahip as trophies to stupidity and corruption.

How's that submarine deal going, I wonder?

Let their very best pilots first pass a NATO  F35 pre- flight selection course and when none do that will be that. 

An effin’ Joke subject. Thailand has no enemies so clearly doesn’t need it.They only need their military to oppress civilians and maintain power. Thailand never done any real fighting and being friends with their ethnic cousins the Chinese, never will.