Cashless Thai society not on the cards anytime soon, says study

webfact

3 hours ago, jacko45k said:

I think it is better for those who carry a smart phone, or even take a tablet with them. Youngsters are so used to dealing this way... forcing them to put down their phones, pick up and read a regular menu, and, oh the trauma, look a waiter in the eyes and converse, would send them into a panic. 

Not long back I was invited to dinner by an old farang buddy in CM. His Thai son and daughter 21,  20) came too.

Farang noticed both of his kids were absorbed in their smartphones, he said to his kids, "please read the menu so we can order". Both kids responed "I'm reading the menu on my screen". 

• Haha 1

31 minutes ago, scorecard said:

Not long back I was invited to dinner by an old farang buddy in CM. His Thai son and daughter 21,  20) came too.

Farang noticed both of his kids were absorbed in their smartphones, he said to his kids, "please read the menu so we can order". Both kids responed "I'm reading the menu on my screen". 

The future is now.

This is what we've become. 

We've lost a lot. Never to be retrieved.

Not terribly rosy, is it?

On 5/2/2022 at 9:54 AM, VocalNeal said:

Of course.????

On the other hand maybe you're not realizing your wife has a young hot well built/well equipped eager Thai boy making regular 'deliveries'.

Is she having regular cases of 'not tonight darling I have a headache?'

Edited by scorecard

4 hours ago, tomazbodner said:

Was just reading that there's a revolt in some African country now that mobile banking has basically completely replaced cash, and government introduced a tax on all mobile transactions. I guess that's coming, once enough people use it.

Bang Sue, where I’m 100% sure I can still spend cash and not “feel broke if my cellphone battery dies” and “some African country” where a quick google search shows that none have “basically replaced cash” are hardly representative of the global payment system.

Somalia (with a gdp per capita of $300) does seem to have the highest percentage of people (amongst African nations) going “cashless”, but I’m not sure that really backs your overly dramatic statements.  Did you know that Mogadishu installed it’s first ATM in 2014?

https://african.business/2021/09/trade-investment/somalia-points-the-way-to-first-cashless-society/

The USA printed well over 300 Billion in currency last year and will do the same this year.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/factcheck/2022/04/14/fact-check-federal-reserve-has-balance-sheet-9-trillion/7198368001/

Sure, there will be be debit cards and credit cards (banks need to make money too!) and other cashless services that will come and go, but I highly doubt that cash will ever disappear.

Maybe cashless would be good being that people can’t seem to control their alcohol intake and certainly don’t eat healthy. Perhaps the government can control us all better dictating how often we can eat fast food and maybe limit us to 1 alcoholic beverage per week.

High Five!

On 5/2/2022 at 7:40 AM, BritManToo said:

Did you forget payment by phone app?

Much quicker than the old lady in front paying cash in ones and twos.

But it is that old lady who is holding YOU up from paying your Bht 70 on your phone app.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, scorecard said:

On the other hand maybe you're not realizing your wife has a young hot well built/well equipped eager Thai boy making regular 'deliveries'.

Is she having regular cases of 'not tonight darling I have a headache?'

puerile ????

On 5/2/2022 at 9:18 AM, Misterwhisper said:

My maid and her entire extended family have have been staunch proponents of a cashless society for years and years. They never have any cash.

Cash is going out of fashion! - Just yesterday I met four people who didn't have a penny on them.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, zzaa09 said:

The future is now.

This is what we've become. 

We've lost a lot. Never to be retrieved.

Not terribly rosy, is it?

My Mrs isn't the worst wrt using her phone when we go to a restaurant, but it is getting pretty bad! (Looking around one sees large groups, and family, with ne'er a word spoken between them, and sometimes staff struggle to get them to move slightly so they can put food and drinks down.) I have thought of perhaps taking a newspaper with me, doing the crossword or Sudoku! I decided that might seem too ignorant, but what difference?