Ripped off at gas station

Bracken5807

1 minute ago, BritManToo said:

You have to get out of your car and watch the pump gauge at the start and finish of the transaction. This is normal for all fills in Asia, else they will rob you.

The first part I started doing after getting a car here many years ago and reading stories on here and other forums and it has just become a habit. 

Your second sentence however isn't a given but why take the chance.......:thumbsup:

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

My analogue meters in my car (Nissan) and m/cs (Honda) don't change with the ignition off.

True because they need some current to update.

As most users I do not switch off ignition during fill up (one of the most ignored rules and do you switch off your mobile :biggrin:). My filling indicator moves up during filling.

Edited by KhunBENQ

My thai built pickup.

If I fill that with the ignition on and engine running the guage and distance to empty read out don't reset until I turn the ignition off and then back on again.

I drive to Pattaya/Phuket return atleast twice a month and  typically thats done on what the guage reads as an empty tank !!

• Like 1

Hang on a second here...

Last few times I've filled up my 2012 Isuzu pickup truck, the gas tank gauge has been very slow to show the tank is full. The first time it happened the gauge showed full after 5-10 minutes, but the second time, it didn't show full until the next day. :w00t:

Pump attendant at gas station I have frequented for many years told me it was not an uncommon problem and that it happened more frequently during very hot weather.

Edited by Gecko123
  • Like 1

I get out of my pickup, tell the attendant how much I want, write down the speedo reading. When they have finished I write down the cost and the amount.

At every PT station I use I give in the rewards card, and they return it with a receipt and change if any.

The only time I was ripped off was when I filled the tank, paid with a 1,000 baht and got change for a 500 baht note, I called out to the guy who served me "where is the rest of my 1,000 baht and he grudgingly handed it over, knowing that I was right and he was wrong. This happened at a PTT station and not at a PT station.

Edited by billd766
Added extra text
  • Like 1

I watched the pump from inside the pick-up, the pump readout was moving but obviously nothing was coming out. I didn't stop the engine but the guage does move as the the vehicle is being filled. When I returned to the station I stop/started and then the range usually registers immediately. It didn't. It's not an old vehicle, under 6 months

• Confused 1

1 hour ago, BritManToo said:

My analogue meters in my car (Nissan) and m/cs (Honda) don't change with the ignition off.

Nor would most as they use electric....

I usually manage to watch things from the driver's seat... and curiosity would make me check the gauge. Be intrigued from the OP as to how the scam was performed.... did the nozzle go into the fill hole and the guy made pump noises? Anyhow... don't go off for a pee when they fill you at that place!

Oops, just saw the above post.... would not expect the readout to move without liquid driving it. 

Edited by jacko45k
  • Like 1

Lesson learned I hope.  Trust nobody, worldwide, not just Thailand.  Leaned that 1st time scammed at petrol station here decades ago.

I'm actually too impatient, and curious to know how much it took, to not notice when full, how many liters & how much.  I'm always thinking, fill it, don't just stop when it auto click off and then auto stop to the next round up.  

It would be impossible for myself not to notice a total scam of not pumping a all.  More an incorrect change amount, so always count.

Edited by Jotnar

1 hour ago, jacko45k said:

Nor would most as they use electric....

I usually manage to watch things from the driver's seat... and curiosity would make me check the gauge. Be intrigued from the OP as to how the scam was performed.... did the nozzle go into the fill hole and the guy made pump noises? Anyhow... don't go off for a pee when they fill you at that place!

Oops, just saw the above post.... would not expect the readout to move without liquid driving it. 

Yes the pump was put into the hole and the reading were clocking up as I was watching it. Was the motor running,? I don't know

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Gecko123 said:

Hang on a second here...

Last few times I've filled up my 2012 Isuzu pickup truck, the gas tank gauge has been very slow to show the tank is full. The first time it happened the gauge showed full after 5-10 minutes, but the second time, it didn't show full until the next day. :w00t:

Pump attendant at gas station I have frequented for many years told me it was not an uncommon problem and that it happened more frequently during very hot weather.

Next time your truck's in for a service, have the sender unit replaced. That usually fixes that problem.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 5/5/2022 at 12:50 PM, daveAustin said:

Usually get out and have a chat or at least look with window down so they can see me looking. Only ever been ripped off once with the change on bike in CM, but wasn’t paying attention. Most are decent but you get the odd bad apple.

Avoid carrying the angst around for too long, it’ll just do your head in. You didn’t get any resolution but at least a heads up for others in the area. ????

There was a station in UdonThani  ,if you paid with a thousand baht note they you change in 100s and always  shortchanged They got me on my bike once too.Not paying attention.

19 hours ago, warrima said:

I know its thailand and the police are what they are - but surely if you filled up a full tank 52 litres and paid 1600 baht or whatever and your gauge is only showing 2 or 3 litres moments later then its clear you were never filled up to start with. 

Or the gauge is faulty. Sometimes our one shows empty when it isn't. Probably just a problem with the sensor in the tank.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Gecko123 said:

Hang on a second here...

The Ballcock  (float) in yourfuel tank is sticking i think 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Firstly I check to see if they use the right nozzle, not long ago I clearly said E20 please, E20 is clearly marked inside the filler flap, i leaned over to pick up my wallet, and then looked back just in time I shouted SIR-TOP !  as she was just about to use the diesel one, then recently got filled with 95, I got out and pointed at the sticker E20, they seem to be in a dream world, reluctantly getting up from staring at their phones, to serve someone. 

If they place themselves between you and the pump blocking your vision then I get out. Edit; Then you've got the idiots who come in from the exit side blocking access, to lazy to drive another  10mtrs and most leave their engine running.

Edited by brianthainess
  • Like 1