Ripped off at gas station

Bracken5807

On 5/5/2022 at 6:43 AM, Bracken5807 said:

Filled up. Never noticed until I was driving out that the guage and the range had never moved

Ha, ha 

Reminds of the petrol station on Pattaya Tai, before they had the new digital bowsers installed.

The pump would not be zeroed, the guys would have an amount (around 60baht) on the bowser from the previous bike, then they would top your bike up, you'd pay your 100 baht or so and ride off with 1/4 tank. 

Stupid me, they got me several times. 

Pointless complaining. Next time be smarter than them, you know what to do now. 

Edited by SAFETY FIRST

19 hours ago, Gecko123 said:

Hang on a second here...

Last few times I've filled up my 2012 Isuzu pickup truck, the gas tank gauge has been very slow to show the tank is full. The first time it happened the gauge showed full after 5-10 minutes, but the second time, it didn't show full until the next day. :w00t:

Pump attendant at gas station I have frequented for many years told me it was not an uncommon problem and that it happened more frequently during very hot weather.

You found  pump jockey who speaks falang?

• Confused 1

1 hour ago, Bangkok Barry said:

Or the gauge is faulty. Sometimes our one shows empty when it isn't. Probably just a problem with the sensor in the tank.

I was referring more to the investigation (police). If the op paid for a full tank of gas its not hard to prove if it was really filled or not. Try and fill it up again and if it takes another 1600 baht then case close. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, brianthainess said:

Then turn it on, press your start button without foot on brake.

Oooooh START BUTTON. 10 year old Vigos do not have one!   LOL

20 hours ago, KhunBENQ said:

Absolutely not.

What I do is turn my neck and check whether they got the right tap(!) and the meter at zero. To the end I look again. Never have to leave my car. 99% at PTT.

I don't read a range but watch the analogue filliing meter on the dashboard.

A digital computed range number might not update before driving or starting the car again.

Same here. I watch the attendant from inside the car to check if they use the correct fuel and if the count starts from zero. Look again when they're done and compare with my own estimate, which is usually quite accurate. Finally, check the display after starting the engine but before driving off. So far, never a problem. 

• Like 2

I always get out the car and watch, make sure the pump is set back to zero, also I want to make sure the correct fuel goes in. I once caught the boy not setting the pump back to zero. I think it had 100 bt on it when he started with me. I called him out on it and he said "tamboon" In other words I should let him have his little scam in order to make merit.

20 hours ago, BritManToo said:

My analogue meters in my car (Nissan) and m/cs (Honda) don't change with the ignition off.

I agree for my bike but its irrelevant as with a bike your close to it you can see. As for filling with the car never leave the car just watch them put it in and see the meter spin. I have NEVER been cheated this way.  

1 minute ago, bert bloggs said:

In 26 years no one at any gas station has ever tried to rob me 

Well if you don't get out your car and watch how do you know? Maybe you've been done dozens of times and not aware of it. ????

4 minutes ago, bert bloggs said:

In 26 years no one at any gas station has ever tried to rob me 

26 years, come on.

You haven't lived until you've been ripped off by a Thai petrol pump attendant. 

Not too common these days but back in the day with the older style pumps it was their favorite past time to annoy the foreigners. 

5 minutes ago, grain said:

Well if you don't get out your car and watch how do you know? Maybe you've been done dozens of times and not aware of it. ????

That is a good remark, but if i did not notice it then it was not of consequence. I always tell them to fill up untill full. So i can see if its full or not before i drive away. But yea if they had 100bt there i might have missed it. But in general you see if the display has zeros or not. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

22 hours ago, warrima said:

I know its thailand and the police are what they are - but surely if you filled up a full tank 52 litres and paid 1600 baht or whatever and your gauge is only showing 2 or 3 litres moments later then its clear you were never filled up to start with. 

where is the proof ? 

Speaking of motor industry related rip-offs:  some expressway toll booth operators (mainly BKK, not sure so much about Chonburi) do not give receipts. Just wondering if they are stealing the money or not?

Edited by Nemises
  • Haha 1

Thais rarely get out of their vehicles to monitor the fill up. Most Thais see the whole purpose of having someone pump your gas is the convenience of not having to get out of your car, and getting out of your car defeats the whole purpose.

Jeez, if you're that worried about getting short-changed or over-charged, just ask for a receipt (computer shows gallons pumped) and pay with a credit card (no worries about being incorrect change.)

Edited by Gecko123
  • Like 2

Just now, Doctor Tom said:

where is the proof ? 

Proof? im sure the op got a receipt when he paid to fill his tank. If it was filled at 9.15 am in the morning and at 9.20 you can fill it again then there is something serously amiss.

• Like 1

Do you actually know you were ripped off? Have you tried to put some fuel in since the incident? I  know roughly how much it will cost to fill my tank depending on where the gauge is at the time, how did the attendant know how much fuel your car needed to be filled up? They would look a bit silly if you went in half full and he managed to get a complete tank of fuel into your car.

22 hours ago, jacko45k said:

A pity they could not supply some forecourt surveillance camera recording to view.  

There is  a well known gas station in the Tai area Expats avoid as it is known for scams... not zeroing the clock etc.

You will get no resolution of course  here....  but I bet you will keep a keen eye out in future.

Not to say their name but I also had trouble with a PT station. I stopped to get fuel and asked them to put 200 baht in and at that time I was dying for a pee ;so when I came back they filled the tank right up. So I told the young guy again I only wanted 200baht, than the manager came over and said he always fills everyone's tank up. As I only had 200 baht in my pocket and they did not have a ATM I made them take out the excess fuel. What a pain in the a--.

• Haha 1

14 minutes ago, grain said:

Dont have to get out you can see the pump and the quantity going in from your car no problem

• Like 1

if you fill up you should hear the cut out when its full even from inside your car, the clunk is that loud you cant miss it. For their gauge to be turning over there would have to be something coming out of the nozzle, asking them for a set amount of fuel to be put in the tank when you went back would have sorted it, if the fuel went in then the tank was not full, pulling the nozzle back so you could see if anything was coming out would also have sorted it, Did you try filling at another petrol station and if so how much went in

On 5/5/2022 at 6:43 AM, Bracken5807 said:

Went to the  gas station on Siam country club road. Filled up. Never noticed until I was driving out that the guage and the range had never moved (range 86km) so went straight back in and complained. No arguments straight off they told me they would get the police, 15 minutes later the police turned up and after a discussion I offered to fill the tank again and if anything went in it I would get for free but obviously that got rejected. Was told as I didn't have a picture of guage/ range before I filled up there was nothing they could or would do. Drove off with a still empty tank

Something missing in this story? How big is your tank and how much money did you spend?

• Thanks 1