Ripped off at gas station

Bracken5807

3 hours ago, spidermike007 said:

Sorry. You do not have my compassion. Some basic common sense comes to mind here.

1. Always check the pump, to make sure it starts at zero. I do that anywhere in the world. 

2. Always check your gauge, after you have filled up your tank, to make sure it is full. 

Fairly basic, looking out for yourself, Darwinian type stuff. 

Or when paying with a high  denomination note hold it up and state the amount. Its not rocket  science!

Yes. You have to be careful. I had a similar thing in buriram.

I told them I wanted 1,000 baht petrol, they finished, and took the 1,000 baht. I drove about 4 meters forward, and stopped, noticing that the meter had not raised much. The guy didn't have time to move on to the next customer before I went back and checked. Sure enough the petrol pump showed 500 baht. He was ready for me. He had 500 baht in his hand to give me a change. He told me he thought I had said 500 baht!

Edited by Andyfez
  • Like 1

I had this years ago... (or thought I had)...

My car at the time had a 100 litre fuel tank.

I turned it off, asked them to full it up... they said they put about +/- 90 litres in, I paid. 

Turned he car on, the fuel indicator only went up to half way. 

I was not happy, demanded to see the manager who backed up his staff. 

We had a passionate discussion which resulted in going nowhere, we were also in the middle of nowhere. After 20mins or so I realised I was getting nowhere and just left. 

The same happened again when filled up my car, but this time I watched it closely. 

Clearly full, clearly >80 litres going in the thank. 

Fuel gauge stopped at half way. 

I felt like an idiot - the issue was not cheating staff, it was the crappy fuel gauge in my car !!!!! 

-------

I have heard of this scan quite often (a decade ago there were a lot of complaints on this forum from the Shell station on Sukhumvit Rd in Pattaya).

The staff would not ‘zero’ the price / gauge before hand... so they’d start at 40 baht, 100 baht or whatever it was that the pump was at before hand...  obviously only the surplus was put in. 

Thus: If filling the car after a motorcycle it would be difficult to notice a missing 40 or 100 baht in the amount of fuel received - the extra going into the attendants pocket. 

This is Thailand, where there’s an angle its being taken advantage of by someone. 

Ever wondered why in food courts we have to buy tokens ???

• Like 1

3 hours ago, grain said:

There's also the issue of seeing the correct fuel is going in, that's my prime concern actually. 

Yes, have done that..... spotted it and managed to drain it before the diesel got into the engine. Who paid for the wasted fuel was a bit of an argument... no prizes for guessing who was to blame! (Many years ago there was no English on the pumps). 

18 minutes ago, jacko45k said:
3 hours ago, grain said:

There's also the issue of seeing the correct fuel is going in, that's my prime concern actually. 

Yes, have done that..... spotted it and managed to drain it before the diesel got into the engine. Who paid for the wasted fuel was a bit of an argument... no prizes for guessing who was to blame! (Many years ago there was no English on the pumps). 

The attendants have actually saved me from the same mistake. 

I used to be into my cars....  and would never make such a mistake, then my son came along, I stopped purchasing fancy cars and no longer care about cars at all....  I’ve no interest in some of the fancy cars I used to love. Cars are now simply a measure of getting from A-B economically and comfortably.

Thus, when using different vehicles in different countries which rely on different fuels.

I’d been away for good number of months (locked out due to Covid). I’d returned to Thailand, happy to be back and not really concentrating. The wife drives mostly and the car is usually full, I rocked up at the petrol station, asked for a full tank of Gasohol 95....     the attendant tried, then told me our car is in fact Diesel !!!!  Duh - I felt rather stupid and very thankful to the attendant. 

• Like 1

On 5/5/2022 at 12:14 PM, BritManToo said:

you have to wave it in the air and ask in a loud voice, "can you change a 1,000?"

I tried that in a bar once and they actually told me to zip up my pants and get out !!

3 hours ago, bbko said:

Like a few others here, I always immediately jump out of my car and start filming my dashboard, my license plate, the worker and their ID card and to show proof of what day it is I'll video that days newspaper, then I'll video the cars behind me and their ID card and get their cell phone numbers to act as witnesses if/when I file a class action law suit....555.

quite right too, well done you.  ????

On 5/5/2022 at 12:14 PM, BritManToo said:

You have to get out of your car and watch the pump gauge at the start and finish of the transaction. This is normal for all fills in Asia, else they will rob you.

Same in bars when you pay for anything with a 1k note, you have to wave it in the air and ask in a loud voice, "can you change a 1,000?"

Fortunately, in my eleven years here in Thailand I have not experienced either situations. Lucky ... I guess.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, scubascuba3 said:

you don't seem to believe any story which is negative towards a Thai, talk about naive

If these slight-of-hand rip offs were as common as some here would have you believe, why aren't you seeing these disputes in other retail settings? If you're talking about cheating someone out of 100's of baht, you're talking about a dispute that could potentially escalate into a physical confrontation, the cops getting involved, loss of employment for the employee, and loss of reputation of the business. Short changing, playing games with gas pump meters? You might be able to get away with that on occasion, but as a regular practice, its more trouble than it's worth.  The second time it happens with a given employee, a cloud of suspicion will hang over their head. Posters are justified for being skeptical that these events occur with any regular frequency.

Edited by Gecko123
  • Like 1

12 minutes ago, Gecko123 said:

If these slight-of-hand rip offs were as common as some here would have you believe, why aren't you seeing these disputes in other retail settings? If you're talking about cheating someone out of 100's of baht, you're talking about a dispute potentially escalating into a physical confrontation, the cops getting involved, loss of employment for the employee, and loss of reputation of the business. Short changing, playing games with gas pump meters? You might be able to get away with that on occasion, but as a regular practice, its more trouble than it's worth. The second time it happens with a given employee, a cloud of suspicion will hang over their head. Posters are justified for being skeptical that these events occur with any regular frequency.

Some guys just don't notice being scammed. At 2 golf courses I've had them try to give change for 500, I've also had at Burger King and Mr DIY twice giving 100 baht short change. Does everyone check their change every time?

Doesn't happen at 7 Eleven or Big C as they have to check change 3 times

Edited by scubascuba3

33 minutes ago, scubascuba3 said:

Some guys just don't notice being scammed.

Maybe so, but I'm not one of them. I check my change and receipts carefully and being short-changed has never been a problem, either at the gas pump or elsewhere. I have been given incorrect change which favors me at least as often as the other way around. In answer to an earlier poster's rhetorical question, I always hand back the money if the mistake has been in my favor. I will concede however that rip-offs may be more common in Pattaya.

Edited by Gecko123
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, Gecko123 said:

Maybe so, but I'm not one of them. I check my change and receipts carefully and being short-changed has never been a problem, either at the gas pump or elsewhere. I have been given incorrect change which favors me at least as often as the other way around. In answer to an earlier poster's rhetorical question, I always hand back the money if the mistake has been in my favor. I will concede however that rip-offs may be more common in Pattaya.

It's not common, I don't think anyone is suggesting that, for me 6 times in 2 years.

The shell garage that only sells expensive 95 V Power is another thing people fall for, but technically not a scam

4 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

I have heard of this scan quite often (a decade ago there were a lot of complaints on this forum from the Shell station on Sukhumvit Rd in Pattaya).

The staff would not ‘zero’ the price / gauge before hand... so they’d start at 40 baht, 100 baht or whatever it was that the pump was at before hand...  obviously only the surplus was put in. 

Thus: If filling the car after a motorcycle it would be difficult to notice a missing 40 or 100 baht in the amount of fuel received - the extra going into the attendants pocket. 

This is Thailand, where there’s an angle its being taken advantage of by someone. 

Ever wondered why in food courts we have to buy tokens ???

Shell on Third road was renowned for that scam, the one down near Mitynon.

Which Shell on suk road was also doing it ?

10 hours ago, SAFETY FIRST said:

Ha, ha 

Reminds of the petrol station on Pattaya Tai, before they had the new digital bowsers installed.

The pump would not be zeroed, the guys would have an amount (around 60baht) on the bowser from the previous bike, then they would top your bike up, you'd pay your 100 baht or so and ride off with 1/4 tank. 

Stupid me, they got me several times. 

Pointless complaining. Next time be smarter than them, you know what to do now. 

It was Pattaya Tai 

Machines don't lie (or rarely). You need to look at the amount on the machine before paying.

Your mistake was viewing the attendant as more then a greeter. Lesson learned.

Same principal goes for taxi drivers, waiters, anything.

Edited by JimTripper

14 hours ago, Gecko123 said:

Posters are justified for being skeptical that these events occur with any regular frequency.

Many may stop using the places known for repeat scams... that GGB at the top of Soi Excite on Buakhao might be an example. The reputation of the gas station on  Tai was not earned by a one off event. I always feel it is a rogue employee, or a couple who have engineered a trick or two.