Finance Ministry Borrows 50 Billion Yen from JICA

webfact

screenshot_17700.jpg

BANGKOK, May 5 (TNA) – The Finance Ministry borrows 50 billion yen from the Japan International Cooperation Agency (JICA) under an executive decree allowing it to borrow 500 billion baht to solve economic and social problems resulting from COVID-19.

Finance Minister Arkhom Termpittayapaisith and JICA representative Morita Takahiro signed an agreement on the COVID-19 Crisis Response Emergency Support Loan worth 50 billion yen (about 13.17 billion baht).

Keep up to date with all things Thailand - Join our daily ASEAN NOW Thailand Newsletter - Click to subscribe

The loan is subject to 0.01% interest and has a 15-year repayment period and a four-year grace period. The conditions were standard for the loans that the Japanese government offered to many countries to help them cope with COVID-19 impacts.

Full story: https://tna.mcot.net/english-news-936386

tnalogo.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai News Agency 2022-05-05

- Cigna offers a range of visa-compliant plans that meet the minimum requirement of medical treatment, including COVID-19, up to THB 3m. For more information on all expat health insurance plans click here.

• Sad 1

"March 2022, foreign exchange reserves for Thailand was 242,430.5 million US dollars."

So, among the 242 billion US$ foreign exchange reserves, they couldn't find 50 billion Japanese yen (385 million US$)? - Are all the reserves in Chinese yuan?

Edited by StayinThailand2much
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, webfact said:

The Finance Ministry borrows 50 billion yen from the Japan International Cooperation Agency (JICA) under an executive decree allowing it to borrow 500 billion baht to solve economic and social problems resulting from COVID-19.

8 years and the military regime have bankrupted Thailand.. the pot is empty.

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, StayinThailand2much said:

"March 2022, foreign exchange reserves for Thailand was 242,430.5 million US dollars."

So, among the 242 billion US$ foreign exchange reserves, they couldn't find 50 billion Japanese yen (385 million US$)? - Are all the reserves in Chinese yuan?

Off-shore accounts?

I know the Interest Payments on this Loan are very small at 0,01  %, and the repay time is relatively long at 15 Years, but I really have to ask the question " Why does Thailand have to borrow such a small amount on this Loan, when they are all but going to make the disease endemic, and boast about such a large Foreign Currency surplus ".

Hmmmmm

• Like 2

19 hours ago, StayinThailand2much said:

It's hard to find 385 million US$ if you only have 242 million US$, but i recon you made a typo in the first one ????

• Confused 1

7 hours ago, Virt said:

It's hard to find 385 million US$ if you only have 242 million US$, but i recon you made a typo in the first one ????

No, you can google it. Thailand's foreign currency reserves are not 242 million US$, but 242,430.5 million (242 billion) US$!

Edited by StayinThailand2much

17 hours ago, StayinThailand2much said:

No, you can google it. Thailand's foreign currency reserves are not 242 million US$, but 242,430.5 million (242 billion) US$!

Ahh, the two different numbers just confused me. I thought you meant 242 Point something millions. I'm used to a different punctuation when doing American millions to billions. (Here a billion is actually a trillion, since we use a system with million, milliard, billion, trillion)

On 5/5/2022 at 3:53 PM, StayinThailand2much said:

On 5/5/2022 at 4:09 PM, hotchilli said:

Off-shore accounts?

I should imagine that the "hard currency reserves" are, how can I put it, "spoken for" or "earmarked"?

This should keep the trough topped up for a while.

On 5/5/2022 at 1:54 AM, StayinThailand2much said:

Caribbean? Probably Switzerland.

This Swiss-German-Thai association [that no one speaks of] is a little too cozy for some. ????????

• Like 1