Could and would you live where you live without your wife?

1 hour ago, OneMoreFarang said:

I am sure many of us also like a lot about Thailand and not just one specific girl/woman.

My question was not about moving away from Thailand but moving away from the wife's village somewhere up country.

It seems lots of guys built a house, officially owned by the wife, in a place which the wife decided. With the wife's family around. It seems few people would have moved to such a place without their wife. So it is not too difficult to understand if they don't want to live in that place anymore without their wife.

I am sure some will move on to another Thai village - with another wife.

Possibly—unless you’ve spent a boatload of money building your home in the wife’s village.  In that case, I would stay—and limit my search to women in the family living in the village—and it’s a very big family, with many good possibilities.

Suspect I'd stay, we only 2 years apart and been together 46 years. Came back in 2019, now have a nice house in Bangsarae, secure Moo Baan. My worry is getting Thai will done.. we procrastinate and say man yana... thats going to bite us,,

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Jotnar said:

To the title, Yes, as wife is an added plus, but far from necessary.

Live semi rural, so would have to improve my Thai vocabulary a bit more, maybe.  Could easily get by with what little I know.  Not fluent enough to engage in conversation, but enough to shop & order food. 

With translation apps (Google Lens) can read just about anything.

I find my ATM card a good translator ????

• Haha 2

In order to stay in the village house you built for a wife now deceased —you will need either a pre-nup on the house or a renewable lease to live on the land—or both documents.  Also possible in some circumstances—a business classification for the property.

My wife has already told me and her kids, that if she dies first then 'no ploblem tilak you can take new lady and stay in house i lub you nah?'  I live in a beautiful setting on Koh Chang. I'm not sure how i'd feel staying in the same house, and her joy when the durians grow in our garden would remind me too much, or same village where she has many friends, walking around with a new lady i'd feel very uncomfortable, but i'd still stay on the island I think. hard to predict how i'd feel.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, brianthainess said:

My wife has already told me and her kids, that if she dies first then 'no ploblem tilak you can take new lady and stay in house i lub you nah?'  I live in a beautiful setting on Koh Chang. I'm not sure how i'd feel staying in the same house, and her joy when the durians grow in our garden would remind me too much, or same village where she has many friends, walking around with a new lady i'd feel very uncomfortable, but i'd still stay on the island I think. hard to predict how i'd feel.

Koh Chang is a different setting than in a village, where it is only two atm’s, and thursday marked is the highlight of the week, and one and half hour to closest city with a shopping mall or makro. 

Edited by Hummin
  • Like 2
  • Confused 1

Weirdly this is on my mind. My wife has cancer and the prognosis is uncertain. Probably will be so for a few more months. 

She's my age, retired. I don't see any life without her and so I have no idea. Been together since teenagers so we're like one single person. No close family apart from her very old parents back home, so no real reason to leave Thailand if it comes to it. Will life fall apart? Who knows, watch this space. I don't see myself cohabiting with another woman of any nationality. 

Well, you asked. 

• Sad 3

2 hours ago, unblocktheplanet said:

Frankly, I think life would be hollow here without my wife of 30 years. She's my best friend & guru. But where else would I move? No clothes for the tundra & no room in the modern world.

Same, 45 years with mine, it doesn't bear thinking about. 

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Denim said:

If it were up to me I would continue living here in the boonies at the edge of the village overlooking rice fields and a high ridge. No issues with non grasping relatives and lots of friendly people to chat to.

But its not up to me. As I understand , although I can inherit the house I cant keep it since foreigners not allowed to own the land. I believe I would have a 1 year grace period to sell up and move on.

Secondly, my ageing mother is 88 and should she be unable to take care of herself I will have to leave Thailand to take care of her.

The future holds some unhappy times so try to enjoy every precious day.

Life is a continual process of loss. This is what I understand now. Buddhists try not to get too attached; to people, things, places. A bit late for me I'm afraid. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

On 5/7/2022 at 6:08 AM, OneMoreFarang said:

Could and would you live where you live without your wife?

I can not answer because mine reads the posts  555

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, Hummin said:

Koh Chang is a different setting than in a village, where it is only two atm’s, and thursday marked is the highlight of the week, and one and half hour to closest city with a shopping mall or makro. 

What on earth are you talking about ? Koh Chang is the 3rd largest Island in Thailand, with all major supermarkets ! water parks, cheap bungalows to luxury resorts. If you haven't been you are missing out on what I consider the best place in Thailand.map-kcg-island.thumb.jpg.990cb29d8b5b5bd4805f67e2ad4b68cb.jpg

3 minutes ago, brianthainess said:

What on earth are you talking about ? Koh Chang is the 3rd largest Island in Thailand, with all major supermarkets ! water parks, cheap bungalows to luxury resorts. If you haven't been you are missing out on what I consider the best place in Thailand.map-kcg-island.thumb.jpg.990cb29d8b5b5bd4805f67e2ad4b68cb.jpg

I think you misunderstood my post ???? 

Yes I know Koh Chang very well compare to a rural village in Isan ????, so therefor not compatible. 

Edited by Hummin
  • Like 2

Lived in the countryside village (3/4 from village) going on 7 years. I like it here at 68 next month

i don’t intend to pull up roots anytime soon. Best to live on the happy memories unhappiness I believe 

can be found anywhere in the world.  I’ve traveled extensively for business 25+ years and putting the 

wheels down is a comfortable feeling... think I’ll stay awhile 

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, In Full Agreement said:

Unfortunately such an oral promise isn't worth the paper it's written on.

I don't really care as I could afford to go rent somewhere if i needed to, If you were to talk to any 'Falang' who knows her you might find out how (yes i'm going to say it) different from most. Oh and oral promises are not written down.

On 5/7/2022 at 3:31 PM, Kwasaki said:

If you think 74 is old then that's sad. 

If you are referring to my post, I said I was 74 years old, just as a teenager would say he was 18 years old.

And when you do not know what LOL means after a post, that's also sad.

Edited by KannikaP

9 minutes ago, Hummin said:

I think you misunderstood my post ???? 

Yes I know Koh Chang very well compare to a rural village in Isan ????, so therefor not compatible. 

My bad I miss read your post, I could never live in a rural village or Pattaya

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, brianthainess said:

I don't really care as I could afford to go rent somewhere if i needed to, If you were to talk to any 'Falang' who knows her you might find out how (yes i'm going to say it) different from most. Oh and oral promises are not written down.

LOL     And Brits love to claim Americans don't get British humor or scarism.     Sorry but you failed.

• Haha 1

31 minutes ago, brianthainess said:

My bad I miss read your post, I could never live in a rural village or Pattaya

Both places can be entertaining, both in a different way, but to be true, the rural places gives alot of freedom if you thinking of bigger land, not cost all of your life savings, and also possibility to go to Koh Chang and get that holiday feeling for a few weeeks, or even a couple of months (did that des and january) and also miss home (Isan) as well. Contrasts

• Like 1

2 hours ago, KannikaP said:

If you are referring to my post, I said I was 74 years old, just as a teenager would say he was 18 years old.

And when you do not know what LOL means after a post, that's also sad.

I think LOL is childish, don't get so easily upset.

• Sad 1

14 hours ago, Denim said:

If it were up to me I would continue living here in the boonies at the edge of the village overlooking rice fields and a high ridge. No issues with non grasping relatives and lots of friendly people to chat to.

But its not up to me. As I understand , although I can inherit the house I cant keep it since foreigners not allowed to own the land. I believe I would have a 1 year grace period to sell up and move on.

Secondly, my ageing mother is 88 and should she be unable to take care of herself I will have to leave Thailand to take care of her.

The future holds some unhappy times so try to enjoy every precious day.

You are incorrect. If youy get say a 30 year lease on the property from the wife you have the right to live there till the lease is over. If you get a Usufruct on the property you have the right to live there till you die. Warning a Usufruct can be overuled in a diviorce court.

https://www.siam-legal.com/realestate/Usufructs.php

• Like 1

3 hours ago, brianthainess said:

Yes awesome place

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Tony125 said:

You are incorrect. If youy get say a 30 year lease on the property from the wife you have the right to live there till the lease is over. If you get a Usufruct on the property you have the right to live there till you die. Warning a Usufruct can be overuled in a diviorce court.

https://www.siam-legal.com/realestate/Usufructs.php

Nice. And my 88 year old mother ? Is there a fix for that too ?

Thanks for the advice , I know you meant well .

But whether or not I outlive my wife , my mother depends on me to be there when she can't manage alone.

Our life here has already taken a drastic change when my wifes mother ( similar age ) lost the use of her legs 3 months ago. She now needs 24 hour care split between my wife and her sister next door.

These things often happen a bit faster than was supposed.

On 5/7/2022 at 6:28 AM, grain said:

No way, if we had a big row and split up, 30 minutes later I'd have my stuff packed in my car and hit the highway. Living in a little rice paddy village in NE was the last thing I wanted to do, but it slowly happened step by step. 

Yes it does and before you realize years have passed. In boredom 

• Like 2