Could and would you live where you live without your wife?

4 hours ago, brianthainess said:

What on earth are you talking about ? Koh Chang is the 3rd largest Island in Thailand, with all major supermarkets ! water parks, cheap bungalows to luxury resorts. If you haven't been you are missing out on what I consider the best place in Thailand.map-kcg-island.thumb.jpg.990cb29d8b5b5bd4805f67e2ad4b68cb.jpg

I was there last week the place to ourselves, Emerald Cove , huge room huge pool huge resort and just a few of us 

• Like 1

Just a quick word to the urbanistas on this thread...

The belief that urban life is inherently superior to rural life is quite outdated.  Maybe a hundred years ago you could only find cultural stimulation and entertainment in cities, but ever since the advent of mass media that's really no longer true. Consider: how much of your entertainment comes from cable TV, Netflix, music streaming services, U-tube, e-books, or [cough, cough] TVF? All of this is equally available to those living in the countryside.

True, Bangkok offers better restaurants and more lavish shopping malls than you can find upcountry, but many international foods and consumer items can now be purchased on-line. Ask yourself when is the last time you ate gold-leaf sushi or went to see a philharmonic orchestra? And let's not forget about the pollution, traffic congestion, heat, and noise in large cities.

It's not a class issue either; many wealthy people around the world put a high value on the peace and quiet which rural life has to offer. Frankly, I suspect that many of the people who belittle rural Thais as a bunch of ill-educated hillbillies do so because they can't speak the language and are unable to appreciate what they have to offer.

Just because someone doesn't require constant stimulation and distraction doesn't mean that their quality of life is lower or that they are bored out of their minds. It can just as easily be argued that too much stimulation and distraction risks dissolution and dissipation, and can impede focus, self-development, and spiritual growth.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Gecko123 said:

The belief that urban life is inherently superior to rural life is quite outdated.  Maybe a hundred years ago you could only find cultural stimulation and entertainment in cities, but ever since the advent of mass media that's really no longer true. Consider: how much of your entertainment comes from cable TV, Netflix, music streaming services, U-tube, e-books, or [cough, cough] TVF? All of this is equally available to those living in the countryside.

True, Bangkok offers better restaurants and more lavish shopping malls than you can find upcountry, but many international foods and consumer items can now be purchased on-line. Ask yourself when is the last time you ate gold-leaf sushi or went to see a philharmonic orchestra? And let's not forget about the pollution, traffic congestion, heat, and noise in large cities.

It's not a class issue either; many wealthy people around the world put a high value on the peace and quiet which rural life has to offer. Frankly, I suspect that many of the people who belittle rural Thais as a bunch of ill-educated hillbillies do so because they can't speak the language and are unable to appreciate what they have to offer.

Just because someone doesn't require constant stimulation and distraction doesn't mean that their quality of life is lower or that they are bored out of their minds. It can just as easily be argued that too much stimulation and distraction risks dissolution and dissipation, and can impede focus, self-development, and spiritual growth.

Thanks for your comment.

I live in the middle of Bangkok and I like it there. But if people like the country life then sure, why not.

My original post was/is more about the possible problem that it seems many guys moved to a village up country only for the reason that that was the village of their gf/wife. Otherwise maybe they would have moved to the country side but almost certainly not to that specific village. It's almost like wife = village. 

And if the wife is not there anymore then what is left?

And to bring a little fun in this thread, it seem there is some fun up country - at least some times.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Kwasaki said:

I think LOL is childish, don't get so easily upset.

I agree with you and consider all TLAs to be annoying, but it is my only way of telling members on here that my post is meant to be a joke, funny, toungue in cheek, not really serious.

I am not upset by anything on this Forum.

• Like 2

13 hours ago, KannikaP said:

GRUMPY, who the he11 is grumpy.   LOL

What's it got to do with You ! ????Leave me alone and mind your own business ! ???? 

I am 972222341_download(48).jpg.ba8bd8db33fd9743464ff40500c303d6.jpg

Edited by brianthainess
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Gecko123 said:

Rural life doesn't = rice paddy or jungle living. I was raised on a farm and did hard manual labor growing up. I would never live in say Bangkok, fun for a few days then it's a nightmare. Just east of Pattaya you can live as rural as you want and you have the convenience of a big city. For me having the beach nearby is a requirement for my retirement pleasure. 

26 minutes ago, OneMoreFarang said:

Thanks for your comment.

I live in the middle of Bangkok and I like it there. But if people like the country life then sure, why not.

My original post was/is more about the possible problem that it seems many guys moved to a village up country only for the reason that that was the village of their gf/wife. Otherwise maybe they would have moved to the country side but almost certainly not to that specific village. It's almost like wife = village. 

And if the wife is not there anymore then what is left?

And to bring a little fun in this thread, it seem there is some fun up country - at least some times.

Before you post a tune, then you should know from whence it derives.

For example...

HERE is the original, and the BETTER version of what you posted.

BLACK BETTY, baby.

• Confused 2

1 hour ago, GammaGlobulin said:

Before you post a tune, then you should know from whence it derives.

For example...

HERE is the original, and the BETTER version of what you posted.

BLACK BETTY, baby.

It's not better, it's different.

I really like the original Black Betty, and I remember it from the time I was young.

But the Pitbull version is also not bad. And obviously different in many ways.

It's possible to like both of those songs without playing the "I am the expert and you are all idiots" card.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Denim said:

Nice. And my 88 year old mother ? Is there a fix for that too ?

Thanks for the advice , I know you meant well .

But whether or not I outlive my wife , my mother depends on me to be there when she can't manage alone.

Our life here has already taken a drastic change when my wifes mother ( similar age ) lost the use of her legs 3 months ago. She now needs 24 hour care split between my wife and her sister next door.

These things often happen a bit faster than was supposed.

My fix was for your property situation  and is still viable. With those safeguards in place  even if wife died early and/or you left to take care of your mom when  your mom eventually passes you could still return to the home in Thailand. Even rent it out while you were away

• Like 1

On 5/7/2022 at 4:50 AM, steve187 said:

a thought that sometimes occurs to me, Thailand and my wife go hand in hand, it would not be the same without her, both retired we do a lot of things together, day trips, holidays, eating out, beach etc. would i want to be lonely in my home country or in Thailand, the answer is i don't know, but where would be the best place for me, i haven't come to a conclusion, and i hate the thought of having to make that decision, it would be tough but should the time come it would have to be made.

How very true...

Life is so uncertain.

15 hours ago, Gecko123 said:

I can speak the language and confidently state Thais (rural or townies) have nothing to offer me .... beyond their daughters. Not to mention the Thai university educated Thais appear to me to be no different from the ones that left school age 12.

Edited by BritManToo

23 hours ago, BritManToo said:

I can speak the language and confidently state Thais (rural or townies) have nothing to offer me .... beyond their daughters. Not to mention the Thai university educated Thais appear to me to be no different from the ones that left school age 12.

Body the same

On 5/7/2022 at 6:28 AM, grain said:

No way, if we had a big row and split up, 30 minutes later I'd have my stuff packed in my car and hit the highway. Living in a little rice paddy village in NE was the last thing I wanted to do, but it slowly happened step by step. 

So, does that mean it´s your fault or did someone put a gun to your head?

On 5/9/2022 at 7:35 AM, EVENKEEL said:

Rural life doesn't = rice paddy or jungle living. I was raised on a farm and did hard manual labor growing up. I would never live in say Bangkok, fun for a few days then it's a nightmare. Just east of Pattaya you can live as rural as you want and you have the convenience of a big city. For me having the beach nearby is a requirement for my retirement pleasure. 

What he said.

My opinion might not be relevant to this thread as I live in the US with a Flipina wife.  I would not want to live in the rural province, but if I had to spend a lot of time there, it would only be tolerable with her and extended family all there.  In a city (even a small one), then no problem, with or without. 

On 5/7/2022 at 6:08 AM, OneMoreFarang said:

Could and would you live where you live without your wife?

I doubt many here are going to admit to being hopeless. 

Most I know don't integrate in the slightest, especially retirees. 

I live in Hua Hin and could certainly live here alone. 

I've no idea how some can live in the sticks for more  than  a few years. 

3 hours ago, rct99q said:

Good god, I was just dreaming about this the other day. Wife asked me why I seemed so hapoy.

Unfortunately I am not that lucky to have this happen.

Why get married if you don't love your woman? 

38 minutes ago, Neeranam said:

I've no idea how some can live in the sticks for more  than  a few years. 

I guess it depends on one's definition of 'in the sticks'.  I enjoy living rural, no neighbors living near me for at least 100 meter, if not 500 meters.

Where the house is now, not even a paved rd, but decent stone road, which hasn't needed any tweaking in over 5 yrs, and probably won't for another 5 yrs, at least. 

Rural in the aspect, no real neighbors, but I'm 5 mins away from Makro, where we do 90% of our daily living shopping.  Less than 10 mins away from PTT, Global House, Lotus, & HomePro.  

About 7 mins away from 7-11 & 6 kms of surf, half of which is lined with restaurants.  Don't need or want anything else.  Less than 3 mins away from Hwy 4 / Phetkasem, for points South, as not much interests us northward.

3 sided, coconuts & pineapples.  And Lovin' It

Untitled.jpg

Edited by KhunLA
  • Like 1
  • Confused 1

Well it may be a MooBan but I said OK to the new wife's family buying a house (I rent it from them) as long as there is a 20 meter salt-water pool open at 6 AM about 100 meters from our house.

And starting next month, I will be loving it. And the Makro is 5 minutes away. Wife's family about 40 km away.

pool2.png

Edited by jerrymahoney