Family almost wiped out on way to a wedding - "lap nai" blamed again as three die, one critical

webfact

image.jpeg

Naew Na Thai Caption: Three dead two injured - Severe damage as pick-up hits lamppost

Naew Na reported on an accident involving adults and children who were inside a pick-up that slammed into a kilometer marker then a lamppost in the north east of Thailand.

It happened around 1.30 pm yesterday on the Chokechai - Decha-Udom Road in Kalasin. 

A single family was inside the pick-up. Police believe the driver had a "microsleep - lap nai in Thai. 

This is responsible for many accidents in Thailand with signage up all over the kingdom warning drivers to beware of dropping off behind the wheel due to drowsiness, notes ASEAN NOW.

Phrai Bueng district police attended the scene finding a severly damaged Nissan pick-up off the road.

Local man Kariangdech, 28, was dead at the scene.

Join our daily ASEAN NOW Thailand Newsletter - Click to subscribe

image.jpeg

Picture: Naew Na

Four people had been taken to the local hospital. These were a man called Somchalao, 51, Khamta, a woman, and two children, a girl called Suphata, 3, and a five year old boy called Thanakrit. 

Somchalao and the boy subsequently died. Khamta was transferred to Sisaket Hospital in a critical condition. 

Police said that Kariangdech had been driving from Bangkok to Ubon Ratchathani with his parents and two children.

They were going to his younger sister's wedding. 

The three year old was only slightly injured. 

With no other vehicles involved the police suggested microsleep as a possible contributory factor in the accident. 

asean_now_BB.jpg

-- © Copyright  ASEAN NOW 2022-05-07

- Cigna offers a range of visa-compliant plans that meet the minimum requirement of medical treatment, including COVID-19, up to THB 3m. For more information on all expat health insurance plans click here.

Get your business in front of millions of customers who read ASEAN NOW with an interest in Thailand every month - email [email protected] for more information
  • Sad 1

57 minutes ago, ikke1959 said:

As soon as they sit they sleep... never noticed on markets, in minivans, at home.. as soon as they have to wait they sleep.... and there is said long hours to work, but Thai people like to stay up late too.. going to karaoke bars, restaurants etc.. all these entertainment venues has to be open to 2 o"clock even in the weekdays... with the loud noise everywhere that keep people out of their sleep it is no wonder 

Some Thais in my apartment building, several times a week, go out at night at 10 or 11 p.m., then arrive back home, making a lot of noise, at 2 or 3 a.m. (Even at the height of the pandemic in 2021 and 2022.) - Then to work the same morning...

Edited by StayinThailand2much
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Even sleeping on the wheel they can not say straight, rather use some stupid term... microsleep... Maybe makes them feel better to avoid admitting the real truth of sleeping on the wheel. 

• Like 2

Police believe the driver had a "microsleep - lap nai in Thai. 

This in reality means that if the driver was driving too fast (again), resulting in him killing part of his family, then the police would be responsible for this accident. If police had in place 'prevention measures', such has radars to control speed, this tragedy might not have happened.

So the best explanation is lap nai, saving face for the reckless driver, Oh!, and how convenient, saving face for the police as well....

• Sad 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, baz69er said:

Making phone calls isn't good, but wearing flip flops?

Because of the loose flimsy design, it's just not a good idea, they where half hanging of his feet, with him on the phone and his flimsy footwear I thought I was going to be another stat for the Thai roads..????

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, Gjk7777 said:

Because of the loose flimsy design, it's just not a good idea, they where half hanging of his feet, with him on the phone and his flimsy footwear I thought I was going to be another stat for the Thai roads..????

I wear flip-flops regularly driving my car when I'm back in the u.k ????

• Confused 1

13 hours ago, Doctor Tom said:

Farmers working from before sun rise, to way past sun set. Factory workers, unregulated, having to work double and treble shifts to retain their jobs. My wife was one of these, as are her 2 brothers,

You got the sob-story, then. ????

How much do you give them a month? ????

• Sad 1

When I am traveling in Thailand with my Thai family I sit up front and talk with

the driver. I also do this on a mini van that is rented. I will sit the first row back of the driver

and I stay awake while every one  else naps, or sleeps. except for  the front seat  passengers and driver .

Once at night I noticed that my brother in law had fallen asleep and he was next to the driver, so I talked in bad

Thai, English and kept the driver entertained for almost 50 kms.  until we were back in Bangkok. Driving

long distances can be difficult for many drivers. RIP to that family.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

48 minutes ago, Stargeezr said:

When I am traveling in Thailand with my Thai family I sit up front and talk with

the driver. I also do this on a mini van that is rented. I will sit the first row back of the driver

and I stay awake while every one  else naps, or sleeps. except for  the front seat  passengers and driver .

Once at night I noticed that my brother in law had fallen asleep and he was next to the driver, so I talked in bad

Thai, English and kept the driver entertained for almost 50 kms.  until we were back in Bangkok. Driving

long distances can be difficult for many drivers. RIP to that family.

good idea but I don't know if that would necessarily stave off a micro-sleep. from what I've read about it the body just shuts down due to exhaustion. which is why "nanny state" countries like where I'm from implement road safety campaigns that stress the importance of being properly rested before driving.

• Like 1