Chulalongkorn University’s COVID mRNA vaccine to enter human trials

webfact

4 hours ago, webfact said:

Thailand’s Chulalongkorn University is seeking approval from the Thai Food and Drug Administration (TFDA) to begin the first two phases of human trials of its mRNA COVID-19 vaccine.

2 years too late, but nice try.

1 hour ago, Tropposurfer said:

Its so amazing isn't it?! Who'd have thought that AseanNow had such a mass of world class immunologists, virologists, and epidemiologists as members!

Care to explain why you believe that those posting are what you say.......or are you just trolling.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Funny, I can think of about a dozen ways a newer vaccine could be beneficial and worth pursuing:

* Improved efficacy, overall. 

* Improved efficacy for troublesome segments. 

* Faster adoption to full potency (currently 2-3 weeks?) 

* Fewer side-effects. 

* Reduced or no need for boosters. 

* Shorter delay for boosting, if necessary (Pfizer/Moderna recommend 6-months!)

* More economical to produce. 

* Easier to handle and involving fewer logistics challenges. 

* "Et cetera, et cetera, et cetera," to quote Yul Brenner in "The King and I." 

We'll just have to wait and see how the new Thai vaccine stacks up against the others.

But it is entirely reasonable to anticipate that version 2.0 or 3.0 or 4.0 or 5.0 will have some characteristics that improve on what's come before.

After all, there's nothing quite like having an opportunity to see and assess the shortcomings of older designs............. to help you figure out ways you might do it better! If we didn't, we'd still be using quills and inkwells, and not ball point pens! 

(And for the snarkers commenting about being "2 and 3 years too late" .......... ("3 years?").......... none of the other vaccines were available 2 years ago, either!)

One of the most basic principles of Capitalism is: Capitalism pushes people to find ways to do things SmarterFasterCheaperBetter. And if someone can find a way to do at least ONE of those things, they might find themselves being richly rewarded for it. 

But they don't have to succeed at all four......... just ONE!....... to make the effort worthwhile!

So, when there are easily a dozen or more ways a later generation vaccine can be beneficial to large groups of people......... (or EVERYONE!).......... it's not hard to believe they've found SOME WAY to make their vaccine.............. 

SmarterFasterCheaperBetter

Does it have to be all four? Nope! Just ONE! 

Me? I'm gonna wait and see! 

Cheers! 

This is an old story. I believe Chula developed this vaccine over a year ago under the guidance of Drew Weissman of the University of Pennsylvania. The holdup at the time was production. All available production sites were committed to other pharmaceutical companies.

so Chula developed mRNA vaccine, sent it to US, tested on _________ (who?) and requested to start testing on locals?

I think I'm missing something. Nope, I miss everything starting from Chula. 

18 minutes ago, mackayae said:

The holdup at the time was production. All available production sites were committed to other pharmaceutical companies.

I think there are technologies required to manufacture mRNA vaccines, and thailand only last year obtained some/all of those licenses. TriLink BioTechnologies mRNA Capping for mRNA synthesis is one example.  

I guess they want to be prepared to both create, then produce an mRNA vaccine for whatever might come next. Given how they failed epically, both producing AZ locally, and procuring vaccines, it seems wise to grow your own. And mRNA technology is often mentioned as potential for other afflictions. So beefing up local expertise is again wise.

Not sure how much time I'd spend on a  COVID vaccine at this point though? Other than maybe proof of concept.

6 hours ago, KanchanaburiGuy said:

Funny, I can think of about a dozen ways a newer vaccine could be beneficial and worth pursuing:

* Improved efficacy, overall. 

* Improved efficacy for troublesome segments. 

* Faster adoption to full potency (currently 2-3 weeks?) 

* Fewer side-effects. 

* Reduced or no need for boosters. 

* Shorter delay for boosting, if necessary (Pfizer/Moderna recommend 6-months!)

* More economical to produce. 

* Easier to handle and involving fewer logistics challenges. 

* "Et cetera, et cetera, et cetera," to quote Yul Brenner in "The King and I." 

We'll just have to wait and see how the new Thai vaccine stacks up against the others.

But it is entirely reasonable to anticipate that version 2.0 or 3.0 or 4.0 or 5.0 will have some characteristics that improve on what's come before.

After all, there's nothing quite like having an opportunity to see and assess the shortcomings of older designs............. to help you figure out ways you might do it better! If we didn't, we'd still be using quills and inkwells, and not ball point pens! 

(And for the snarkers commenting about being "2 and 3 years too late" .......... ("3 years?").......... none of the other vaccines were available 2 years ago, either!)

One of the most basic principles of Capitalism is: Capitalism pushes people to find ways to do things SmarterFasterCheaperBetter. And if someone can find a way to do at least ONE of those things, they might find themselves being richly rewarded for it. 

But they don't have to succeed at all four......... just ONE!....... to make the effort worthwhile!

So, when there are easily a dozen or more ways a later generation vaccine can be beneficial to large groups of people......... (or EVERYONE!).......... it's not hard to believe they've found SOME WAY to make their vaccine.............. 

SmarterFasterCheaperBetter

Does it have to be all four? Nope! Just ONE! 

Me? I'm gonna wait and see! 

Cheers! 

Ooooooh….such wonderful syntax.  The one sentence paragraphs, peppered with ALL CAPS, bolding, and just the right number of exclamation points!!!!!!!!  The gravitas cannot be underestimated.

I’M SOLD!!!!!

• Like 1

14 hours ago, RichardColeman said:

But, But.....

Come on now, flu & chicken pox (amongst others) are endemic, can be very serious and require annual/widespread vaccines for at risk groups. Malaria is endemic and of course, can be both extremely unpleasant and life threatening. My 80+ parents back in UK are booking in for an additional COVID booster shot ahead of autumn/winter. 

We should all make an effort to understand the public health definitions and differences between pandemic, epidemic and endemic. Google is our friend.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Airalee said:

Ooooooh….such wonderful syntax.  The one sentence paragraphs, peppered with ALL CAPS, bolding, and just the right number of exclamation points!!!!!!!!  The gravitas cannot be underestimated.

I’M SOLD!!!!!

How I choose to toy with the english language is not the topic of the thread. 

Have you something useful, thoughtful, or constructive to say about WHAT I said, rather than HOW I said it? [Insert Simon and Garfunkel's "The Sound of Silence" here] 

(e. e. cummings and other rule-breaking poets must really drive you nuts! ????????????)

Cheers! 

6 hours ago, ozimoron said:

Let me spell it out for you. Covid . Is . Not. Over.

Excuse me, just a note: That was just a lot of dots. When you spell something out you always separate the letters in every single word.

Back to business. As most countries in the world today refer to the pandemic as an endemic, you have to take into consideration what that actually means. Hidden in the word is "end", which refers to that something has come to an end. What we all know, is that the virus will continue to co-exist with humanity for an unknown amount of time.

However, that is exactly same as the yearly flu and many other viruses we have learned to live with. As humans on planet earth, we have a choice. We can continue to be morons and look at Covid-19 as a dangerous virus, and therefore prohibit and put up limits for our lives. As a second choice we can go back to the normal, not new normal, and start live our lives again.

11 hours ago, ozimoron said:

Let me spell it out for you. Covid . Is . Not. Over.

Yeah, but...this vaccine will likely not be available until 2023, best case.

Unless they're working on a time-machine (Chula TimeTraveler 3000?)  too, it seems like more of a learning experience, in preparation for future viruses/diseases which can be treated with mRNA technology.

• Like 1