What currencies are best protected against inflation?

It seems I'm unable to invest in shares or market trackers or the like because of my current residency status.

I can switch the cash I'm holding to a different currency / currencies though, with my existing facilities. I already have some in CHF, the rest is GBP.

I wasn't keeping an eye on it but it looks like USD has really strengthened over the last couple of months. Is it still worth switching?

What about other currencies that are tied to oil?

Just looking to minimize the devaluation - any suggestions welcome and I can then look into them.

Edited by dcollins
  • Thanks 1

Inflation in US over 7%. 

Good luck to protect money with a currency:).

Buy Gold and wait 10 years.

7 y ago 1 Baht Gold 18000

Baht

today 1 Baht Gold 29000 Baht.

Or buy a Condo in Bkk by exchange USD to Baht when 35 and rent it out by 10% tax.

Bitcoin when under 15000.

Invest in things you would like to have now:).

Buy Goldmine shares like Newmont or Barrick Gold.

Invest in Ballard Power and wait 5 years:) if you can wait…

And so on….

Edited by Tom H

Gold is your best bet for a store of value, in terms of currencies the US dollar is what everyone will flee to if there is a global recession, thus driving it up.

If you could somehow buy bonds those may hold up well also. 

This is just my opinion of course. 

Edited by dj230

XAU is the safest of safe havens. Predicate currencies (those pegged to historically stable fiat and metals) are not immune to devaluation and inflationary fluctuations.

If it must be fiat, CHF has been historically and traditionally the planet's refuge currency.

If you want a second opinion, ask someone innately conservative with money.  

Edited by mvdf
  • Like 2

14 minutes ago, Stocky said:

???? I bought gold at USD600 in 1980, it promptly fell and didn't see 600 again for 27 years. 

Yes, I remember that, I lost a lot of money with gold that time, and then you sell it and it goes up again.

Never forget.

Edited by Tubulat
  • Like 1

Not all currencies can go down at the same time. This is not a time to speculate but to try to preserve the purchasing power off your money. The way to do this is to hold multiple major currencies, perhaps 7 or so, 

The Swiss franc usually appreciates in times of crisis. However, currency speculation is a lottery.

Gold has always been a safe haven. Governments resort to the printing presses far too easily nowadays.

Property is usually an appreciating asset, but it's a young person's game. It sometimes takes decades for property to really rise in value.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, dcollins said:

Just looking to minimize the devaluation - any suggestions welcome and I can then look into them.

I suggest you keep your money in the currency which you have expenses.

You want to take on risk that it sounds like you do not understand in order to avoid a “devaluation” that you probably also do not understand. While we do currently have high inflation (in most countries) this will go down again, and markets are currently extremely volatile, so better suffer 1-2 years of known inflation than bet it all on markets you cannot predict and do not understand.

Also keep in mind that while U.S. inflation may be announced as 8.3% that includes housing, gas, etc., where gas is very likely to go down again and housing is irrelevant if you are not in the market for a new house.

All that said, if you have a small fortune that is not going to be used for the next 5+ years then yes, you should hedge against inflation, but not by picking another currency or commodities (like gold), instead you need productive assets.

• Like 2

Silver is an infinitely better bet than gold right now. But the primary issues are that it is nearly impossible to buy here, in any desirable form, it takes up alot of space, and there is a $5 plus premium on bullion in the US right now, due to high demand. I still think it is a good bet, if you are able to order it, and store it.

Silver is historically (very long term) at a 1 to 15 ratio to gold. It is now at a small fraction of that. 

The gold silver ratio represents the number of silver ounces it takes to buy a single ounce of gold. Historically speaking, the gold silver ratio has rested somewhere between 15 and 10 to 1, reflecting the average supply of each metal. There were times throughout the history of money where the ratio was even lower — China once had a 4 to 1 ratio and the ancient Egyptians even had a 1 to 1 ratio at one point.

https://www.longtermtrends.net/gold-silver-ratio/

Edited by spidermike007

National inflation numbers are massaged or manipulated.

Anyone who believes government-published inflation figures is living in a fool's paradise.

Regular trips to the grocery store tell you all you need to know.

Individually, our personal inflation rates are highly skewed one way or the other from

those produced by governments.  What if you don't own a car? No gas/ petrol, maintenance

costs. What if you live in a home which has been fully paid for? No rent to pay, etc.

ACTUAL inflation numbers, those in the REAL WORLD, are 1.5 to 2 times what governments are telling you.

Lastly, keeping your money in the bank is not a smart move. Simplistically, if inflation is running at 10% and the bank is paying you

2% interest annually, it is costing you 8% each year to keep your money in the bank. After around 6 years, the TRUE value of your money is around a half of that you had when you started.

Edited by allanos
typo
  • Like 1

19 minutes ago, allanos said:

Anyone who believes government-published inflation figures is living in a fool's paradise.

Have you actually looked at them?

There are several numbers, with and without energi, food, etc., there is the consumer price index, where government employees actually call up supermarkets regularly to get the prices, and all their raw data is available for your inspection, if you think they are lying about the price of milk.

2 hours ago, Tom H said:

Then you did not follow up the Gold prize for 27 years:).

I still hold the gold I bought in 1980.

My point was that gold can go down as well as up. 

1580177016_2022-05-1215_15_56-GoldPrices-100YearHistoricalChart_MacroTrends-Brave.jpg.d72dd164b2c53e867af1315fdbeef5fd.jpg

Edited by Stocky
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, lkn said:

All that said, if you have a small fortune that is not going to be used for the next 5+ years then yes, you should hedge against inflation, but not by picking another currency or commodities (like gold), instead you need productive assets.

I have no access to productive assets b/c I can't open a brokerage account. That's why I was asking about currencies. It looks like I can buy gold though. So my options are to leave the cash I have in GBP and CHF or move them to some other currency and/or gold. I will probably buy USD and gold. I would have thought CNY would be depressed at the moment and liable to spring back up in the next 2-3 years so I'll look at that too.

2 hours ago, spidermike007 said:

Silver is an infinitely better bet than gold right now. But the primary issues are that it is nearly impossible to buy here, in any desirable form, it takes up alot of space, and there is a $5 plus premium on bullion in the US right now, due to high demand. I still think it is a good bet, if you are able to order it, and store it.

Silver is historically (very long term) at a 1 to 15 ratio to gold. It is now at a small fraction of that. 

The gold silver ratio represents the number of silver ounces it takes to buy a single ounce of gold. Historically speaking, the gold silver ratio has rested somewhere between 15 and 10 to 1, reflecting the average supply of each metal. There were times throughout the history of money where the ratio was even lower — China once had a 4 to 1 ratio and the ancient Egyptians even had a 1 to 1 ratio at one point.

https://www.longtermtrends.net/gold-silver-ratio/

It looks like you can buy it with storage included e.g. in Zurich. Obviously you have to trust the seller and factor in storage costs. I guess there might be some kind of exit charge too. On the silver, it looks like the ratio is a little above the average for the last 25 years - so yes I guess it might return to the super long-term trend at some point, but I don't see any particular reason to think that will happen in the next couple of decades.

1 hour ago, allanos said:

Lastly, keeping your money in the bank is not a smart move. Simplistically, if inflation is running at 10% and the bank is paying you

2% interest annually, it is costing you 8% each year to keep your money in the bank. After around 6 years, the TRUE value of your money is around a half of that you had when you started.

Yes that's the problem I'm trying to solve / mitigate here. The trouble is I only have access to currencies or maybe precious metals.

5 minutes ago, GrandPapillon said:

keep your money in CHF, not USD

why can't you open a broker account in Europe or the US?

I could keep the CHF I have and switch some GBP to USD maybe.

I have been travelling and am not tax resident anywhere. The investment platforms all require you to give an address in a country where you are tax resident. It is not clear what happens if you turn out not to be tax resident in that country - possibly nothing at all - but I don't want to go there.

9 minutes ago, dcollins said:

Yes that's the problem I'm trying to solve / mitigate here. The trouble is I only have access to currencies or maybe precious metals.

that doesn't add up, why can't you open a bank account?

1 hour ago, allanos said:

actually it doesn't work that way for inflation, that's a very naive arithmetic approach

the true calculation is to multiply the inflation level with the interest, so 2% x 0.92 = 1.84%

the common misconception also is that the inflation rate is uniform and universal, it's simply an index or a benchmark "estimate", primarily used to adjust pricing for economic models and financial instrument models.

Edited by GrandPapillon
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, dcollins said:

I could keep the CHF I have and switch some GBP to USD maybe.

I have been travelling and am not tax resident anywhere. The investment platforms all require you to give an address in a country where you are tax resident. It is not clear what happens if you turn out not to be tax resident in that country - possibly nothing at all - but I don't want to go there.

your tax residency is where you live officially, even if your income are overseas

I would suggest buying CHF instead of USD,