What Do You Think Of The Expat Club?

Luckydog

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What I think is that Pattaya needs an expat club for NIGH OWLS? Who wants to get up that early for a meeting? If they had lunch buffets and afternoon meetings I'd be there.

Good to see someone here offering something constructive, anymore off topic comments will be deleted and the thread will be closed.

Full of geriatrics and visa/insurance/realestate conmen

I would be interested to know of anyone who has been subject to conmen working out of expat clubs

There were two threads on the chiangmai forum but both were eventually closed and are now deleted.

Run by members for members they could be very useful

I would be interested to know of anyone who has been subject to conmen working out of expat clubs

Please don't bring the problems you have had with the CM expats club (personel) into the Pattaya forum.

I find it amazing that, every time on these forums a single person or group of people try to bring a halt to what we all know is going on as regards farang con artists feathering thei own nests at the expense of expats' life savings , some moderator somewhere pulls the plug on the thread.

I f I weren't trying to beleive that everyone's born good, I mfiht suspect that TV and its people know more about this than they are happy to admit, and that there might...just might... be an angle there......

This particular moderator is, I'm sure, quite aware that the subject of the Wenman's problems psends a lot of time in Pattaya on'business'.....

Charliecm

Please don't bring the problems you have had with the CM expats club (personel) into the Pattaya forum.

I find it amazing that, every time on these forums a single person or group of people try to bring a halt to what we all know is going on as regards farang con artists feathering thei own nests at the expense of expats' life savings , some moderator somewhere pulls the plug on the thread.

I f I weren't trying to beleive that everyone's born good, I mfiht suspect that TV and its people know more about this than they are happy to admit, and that there might...just might... be an angle there......

This particular moderator is, I'm sure, quite aware that the subject of the Wenman's problems psends a lot of time in Pattaya on'business'.....

Charliecm

I am lost, but very interested in the comments made. If there are things going on that members would benefit from knowing, what is the harm? We often see threads deleted for vague reasons, especially when the Pattaya Real Estate fraternity are involved. Mind you, we could all stop reading Thai Visa threads which some people think should not be shown, if only they would tell us which we can and which we cannot. Seem to err on the side of censorship sometimes. Seems OK if you are looking for a baht bus rant or looking for a good English Breakfast. Which is OK if you are English

I know you can get all sorts of free (so called) advice, but you can get better here on Thaivisa, I find.

The 'experts' who are supposed to give free advice on Sundays when they meet, are really only looking for punters.......and the Speakers are either Boring as hel_l or trying to

sell their products or services.....The SS Sausage Co showed a slide show of different types of sausage that went on for ever!

You pay a few Bht to get in and they 'give' you a free 'iffy' breakfast.....

It's obviously a nice little earner for the everpresent Niels Colov.

i've never been,but it's my eperience to avoid anything with the word"club"at the end.

• 1 month later...

I've been to a few PEC meetings starting 6 years ago when i was 44. For the most part interesting. Obviously a fair bit of hard work behind the scenes to keep the club together. Some good & useful information given out.

As has been said, speakers can vary, but that's true anywhere.

Last time i went the speaker was a senior guy from the Fire service. Gave an interesting & often amusing speech, though with a serious side to it.

Came away having learnt to say "Help me, help me" in Thai, something which one day (although i hope not) could come in very useful for any one of us.

Edited by Lancashirelad

Have been coming to Patts for years & am in the late stages of moving here, found good Info on this TV & on the Expats web. In fact some people who PMd me were of great service with their advice.

Joined the Club , the morning I did the Guest Speaker was Tottie Karpela from Finland , a former Police Negotiater , found his presentation extremely professional.

The Breakfast was a bit above disgusting , that day was also the big push for the New Shopping Mall & the Big 1 Card which I have now found to be an absolute sham for any serious purchases.

Surprised at the turnout & after listening to some conversations around me , I felt I was in a Nursing home for an hour or so.

I found it to be another experience & I have had a few. Some I will avoid where necessary , this one wasn't that bad , but , I am not in a rush to go again , but, will sometime.

I felt I was attending a personal promo for a self promoting local "star" . What I would call a "FIGJAM"

Translation "F... I'm Good , Just Ask Me"

Pesonal Opinion

:o

Thai visa seems to have all the information and more that any expat would need so can't understand why someone would attend except to get out of the house, but then again there are many other better options than these painfully boring clubs...."crucifixions to the left please, expats clubs to the right" Life of Brian......with poetic license exercised by yours truly

I think that these people prey on lonely/non Thai speaking farangs,and they are easy pickings,as has been found in all countries.IF this is a scam,then the more people to know,the better.However,if it is simply a group for farangs to meet and spend some time,then where is the harm? Not everybody will enjoy the same get togethers,i mean how many people enjoy bingo?I don't,but my previous neighbours loved it.

Well I think the expats clubs are okay if you are +60 y old. I am mid 40 and have attended 3 meetings at the "grand sole" and left 2 of them early due to boredom. I think the club is mostly for older gentlemen who are maybe a bit uncertain about many things regarding living here in Pattaya and there the club can be of much help. People attending will meet many others in "the same boat" so to speak and maybe even form friendships which is good as many expats here are lonely, just looks at the rate of "condo flyer's", Sang sip drunks, riped off by "girl friends" etc. :o

Now I am a member of HOG (Harley owners group) Thailand and we go on Saturday rides almost every week and have lunch somewhere nice and I find the persons there very interesting (no we don't talk Harley's all the time) :D and I get good feed backs on almost every question/discussions about living here, so HOG is the club for me. One member is 70 y old and still driving fast as hel_l, he-he. :D

Thai Visa is very good too, for info.

Well I addressed a query to Neils Colov of City ex-pats club, I knew of his association with the PIH with whom I wanted a contact, perhaps, from the chappie who is the owner of the PIH and gives regular talks at the meetings. I believe that they give advice or minor check-ups after meetings on most Sundays.

As you can guess, despite two messages, I heard nothing. I found it very sad, it appears that there is one rule for one, and none for others; as a member, I thought that even an acknowledgement of my query (about the standard of service I received at the PIH) could have been acknowledged and passed onto the appropriate 'Boss' of the Pattaya International Hospital with whom Neils Colov is more than a mere acquaintance.............

Well I think the expats clubs are okay if you are +60 y old. I am mid 40 and have attended 3 meetings at the "grand sole" and left 2 of them early due to boredom. I think the club is mostly for older gentlemen who are maybe a bit uncertain about many things regarding living here in Pattaya and there the club can be of much help. People attending will meet many others in "the same boat" so to speak and maybe even form friendships which is good as many expats here are lonely, just looks at the rate of "condo flyer's", Sang sip drunks, riped off by "girl friends" etc. :o

Now I am a member of HOG (Harley owners group) Thailand and we go on Saturday rides almost every week and have lunch somewhere nice and I find the persons there very interesting (no we don't talk Harley's all the time) :D and I get good feed backs on almost every question/discussions about living here, so HOG is the club for me. One member is 70 y old and still driving fast as hel_l, he-he. :D

Thai Visa is very good too, for info.

ok if your 60 plus ,well ime 60 plus and it bores me rigid ,so put that in your pipe and smoke it. :D

and are you one of those old farts on harlys that race up and down sukhumvit,well stop making so much noise :D

Edited by thaimate

All I can say is I'm not old enough to hang with the expats club. Another 30 years and I'll fit right in.

& for now Jungian....you will stick to the weirdos club? :o

What's thirty feet long and smells of wee?

The queue outside the Grand Sole hotel on a Sunday morning.

:D:D:D:D

Why worry about others? I live by one creed... NEVER MISS AN OPPORTUNITY TO DO ANYTHING WITHIN REASON!!! It has served me well for close to 70 years and I don't expect to change.

Visit an expat club. Get involved for a while. If you meet just one person that you like then it has been worth while. You NEVER know what is around the corner, so always take a chance. You have nothing to lose but a tiny bit of time and you never know what might come of any chance meeting.

I fail to see all the negativity I hear on so many forums. If you are about to post something negative then look in a mirror before you do so. Smile, it will do everyone a world of good.

To me, life is great, but I smile and talk to everyone... everywhere. I never give people the feeling I'm "hitting" on them, or want something. If I see something, or someone attractive I say so. If I get a negative response I figure that is THEIR problem, not mine. My sister in New York called me the "original" Crocodile Dundee because of how I wandered around New York talking to strangers. I had a great time there and it's worked for me where ever I go.

"The 'experts' who are supposed to give free advice on Sundays when they meet, are really only looking for punters.......and the Speakers are either Boring as hel_l or trying to

sell their products or services"

Not totally true, I know they had a genuine professional astronomer there, unfortunately the members all

asked him to tell their fortunes.

"You pay a few Bht to get in and they 'give' you a free 'iffy' breakfast"

The leftovers of the hotels week of breakfast buffets.

If you're bored with the Expats at the Grand Sole' then try the meeting at Henry J Bean's an hour earlier and see what you think.

Both outfits have their agenda and both fill a niche.

I have been to both many times and I can always find something of interest or some useful info. Boring many times also. I think it's difficult to put on a meet of this nature to keep whingers happy all the time. Both clubs do a fair job of supplying info and each one does it ina slightly different way.

If you visit a meeting one time and come away disappointed I think it's a mistake. You need to go several times. They do both publish a weekly email newsletter to let you know what's en store that Sunday. You can decide if the main topics may interest you or not without ever setting foot in the door.

As a volunteer member of the ex-pats club, I find lots of your comments quite unnecessary.

We do not get paid for helping, we do not even get an entry into the prize draws for the meals out etc, we get there earlier to set everything out and stay later to pack it all away again afterwards and still you whinge.

The club is there to help ex-pats and I know that personally I have been able to help a few which pleases me. If we can't help a member we find someone who can.

Sometimes the talks are not of interest to me either, but if that is the case don't stay, just stay for the talks that interest you.

The entrance fee of 80 baht is the full payment given to the hotel for the breakfast so the club makes nothing from that.

Lots of people meet and make friends here, ask lots of qestions about life and living here, but hey if you know it all, then that's fine.

Getting people to give talks can be a real pain, but the club is always asking if the members have any ideas or contacts to please get in touch, so that the talks can be of interest. However when you have so many people attending you are never, ever going to please all of the people all of the time.

Like any other group you get more out of it if you join in, the choice as always, is yours.

Sounds like a good pass time, if you got a few baht to spare and a little time to kill. Go for it, TUNE Out(leave) if it get boring. Does anyone no if the little meal is tasty with a nice cup of hot coffee :D ?? Please advise I will make a visit next time in area. :D Who knows you just might meet some great friends there. CHEERS!! :o

I know you can get all sorts of free (so called) advice, but you can get better here on Thaivisa, I find.

The 'experts' who are supposed to give free advice on Sundays when they meet, are really only looking for punters.......and the Speakers are either Boring as hel_l or trying to

sell their products or services.....The SS Sausage Co showed a slide show of different types of sausage that went on for ever!

You pay a few Bht to get in and they 'give' you a free 'iffy' breakfast.....

It's obviously a nice little earner for the everpresent Niels Colov.

To quuote a conversationI heard last year.

"what do you think of the Expat Club"

Answer "aplace to goto learn how to save 10 baht.

After attending the comment was made "you were wrong it's how to save 5 baht'

Some frequent a bar I do and I've seen them buying water and adding their sachets of powder to create Gatorade rather than buy it direct from yhe Bar/

And sitting there I have overheard conversations and they are BORING

I won't bother I get better advice from my mates.

Just my 2 bahts worth

Sorry if I have offended anyone

lilBob :o