Car Navigation System

IMO, car navigation systems are outdated.  When I travel to areas I'm not sure of, I use my smartphone, google maps, the dash mounted phone holder and the charging port.  Works fine for me.

Are navigation / entertainment systems still relevant?

I just bought a new truck and although it does have a radio of sorts, you just plug your phone into a usb cord and you get either apple carplay or android auto.

You can chose your default navigation app; Waze, google maps, Apple Maps (if you are using CarPlay).

I dont even know what you call it these days, its not a stereo, its just a touch screen - I think they call it a header unit.

13 minutes ago, recom273 said:

Are navigation / entertainment systems still relevant?

I just bought a new truck and although it does have a radio of sorts, you just plug your phone into a usb cord and you get either apple carplay or android auto.

You can chose your default navigation app; Waze, google maps, Apple Maps (if you are using CarPlay).

I dont even know what you call it these days, its not a stereo, its just a touch screen - I think they call it a header unit.

My brother in Australia bought 2022 Mercedes Benz SUV costing the equivalent of 5 million in baht and it has entertainment and navigation system galore on a big display so not quite dead yet...

• Like 1

The nav maps on my D Max were already out of date when I bought the vehicle over 12 years ago. I once tried updating the SD card on the Kenwood website, but it didn't want to know. I'm not really bothered now, Google Maps on the phone works for me.

15 minutes ago, ezzra said:

My brother in Australia bought 2022 Mercedes Benz SUV costing the equivalent of 5 million in baht and it has entertainment and navigation system galore on a big display so not quite dead yet...

Yes, exactly. It's a big touch screen that handles everything, the entertainment, the navigation, etc. You just plug your phone into it. I have added a script to mine, it talks, asks me if I want to send the missus a SMS to tell her when I get home, tells me if I have a calendar date set amongst other pointless <deleted>  - you dont need to spend 5M, its available on most base model trucks and cars in Thailand now. My old man spent a fortune on a BMW X5, and you need to spend 80 quid a year to unlock CarPlay.

15 minutes ago, HighPriority said:

It’s more the OS that’s in question… when I navigate to a destination in my 2021 Toyota I can’t even figure out (yet…) how to cancel the navigation if something comes up and I want to change destination… ????????

You have the same as me, right? CarPlay or android auto? What do you use to navigate? I just swipe the box in the right corner and there's a big red button that says "end navigation"

• Like 1

Hi Car Phone + mount for navigation seems best options nowadays! New Meda system cheap ways replace! here! like i did has everything! 2GB + 32GB works ok (larger if you want) but costs more / simply plug current cables ! search your year/model No.

6k for everything ok, you-tube, player, Gps

When i looked here 25k + change system!

https://th.aliexpress.com/item/1005003424923540.html?spm=a2g0o.search0304.0.0.36cc2c32P6H4kA&algo_pvid=88829d76-c4e9-4e38-a023-1bfe5700037a&aem_p4p_detail=202205132151501543645722168400040362643&algo_exp_id=88829d76-c4e9-4e38-a023-1bfe5700037a-0&pdp_ext_f={"sku_id"%3A"12000025727272687"}&pdp_npi=2%40dis!THB!!6459.91!!!!!%400b0a556a16525039106905110e71f1!12000025727272687!sea&gatewayAdapt=glo2tha

cheers

System like android auto os inside of car information is good choice and many maker now take this route

Here is photo of friends truck we convert old stereo system to android auto os with the canbus data connection 

No need for full time internet connection because gps maps get update when car is near home wifi

Option for mobile internet network for all device in truck 

Can choose navigation from many system

Gps antenna for good satellite location

All music media store in outside memory

Can connect phone if need

Cost of unit with convert frame and canbus module 7000 baht 

IMG_1683.jpg.e849d278a235edbdd0bc11ea130dfa32.jpg

• Like 1

My MG HS has a navigation program added to the infotainment system it is TomTom, and is ok in BKK but outside of the city its <deleted>, so I use my Android Google maps program or waze which uploads through the Bluetooth system and can listen to my Amazon music as well as get my Nav on.

8 minutes ago, ThailandRyan said:

My MG HS has a navigation program added to the infotainment system it is TomTom, and is ok in BKK but outside of the city its <deleted>, so I use my Android Google maps program or waze which uploads through the Bluetooth system and can listen to my Amazon music as well as get my Nav on.

We use tomtom system for work delivery for most area in thailand never much problem

We try many offline systems and tomtom always has best route logic

Good satellite antenna very important for reliable gps location

1 hour ago, Eff1n2ret said:

The nav maps on my D Max were already out of date when I bought the vehicle over 12 years ago. I once tried updating the SD card on the Kenwood website, but it didn't want to know. I'm not really bothered now, Google Maps on the phone works for me.

I had a D Max with NAV about that old with a Kenwood system, it was great. The GPS OS was Garmin, I loved it, much better than the system in my five year-old Fortuner. 

In any event, I had it upgraded a few times at Isuzu, I think the first time it was ฿400 and the last time it was ฿600. They pulled the chip and I went back a few days later and they reinstalled it with the newest map. The first time I lost all my saved destinations, the last time I still had them all. 

• Like 1

Over the last few years I've experienced most factory-fit  nav systems, including Ford, VAG, Porsche, BMW, MB and pretty much all the Japanese brands.  Google easily beats them all. Reliable real-time traffic data and bang up to date mapping showing road closures etc.  Also, using e.g. Android Auto, you can spend time researching and setting up a route on your phone, then go out to the car and immediately you're all set to go..

5 hours ago, recom273 said:

You have the same as me, right? CarPlay or android auto? What do you use to navigate? I just swipe the box in the right corner and there's a big red button that says "end navigation"

I’m Apple, but I don’t usually plug in, I normally use Bluetooth connection, which gives me access to my phone, music and any messages that come through.

But cannot access Apple Maps etc unless as you say I plug in, so normally I’m using whatever the Toyota mapping software is… I’ll have a real look in the next couple of days and see if I can figure it out, thanks for the tip ????????

Edited by HighPriority