Real Cantonese food in Chiangmai

mhortig

I'm looking for genuine Chinese food. Not the Thai Chinese fusion. I'm not looking for fine dinning, just simple well prepared Cantonese food. I can not eat any shellfish or seafood and I have found that most of the so called Chinese restaurants are actually Thai style, and they seem to slip crab or shrimp into everything even though its a chicken or pork dish, or dim sum. Any suggestions

I have never eaten 'good' authentic Chinese Food in Chiang Mai. Too much Thai influence. If I want a Chinese restaurant, I go up to Mae Salong, up near the Burmese border.

But Chinese cooking is really pretty simple to do at home. Once you learn the basics, many dishes are available to you in just a few minutes. Prep time is longer, but cooking times are usually short except for stews. That has been the ONLY way I've been able to eat good authentic Cantonese, Sichuan, Hunan, Shandong, and now even Fujian style (thanks to the Chinese grocery store that opened recently near Thapae Gate.) Chinese cooking is much less complicated than Thai cooking, easy to learn.

• Thanks 1

Not Cantonese but there are 2 excellent Chinese restaurants specializing in authentic Chinese-Muslim cooking. Both are owned by Chinese emigrants.

The first is Qin Kitchen. Authentic Xian noodles, dumplings etc. The owner and staff are very friendly.

https://www.google.com/maps/place/Qin+kitchen/@18.7721825,98.9830306,17z/data=!3m1!4b1!4m5!3m4!1s0x30da30718081618f:0x7e147b22029bdcea!8m2!3d18.7721774!4d98.9852193

The second is Diannan.

https://www.google.com/maps/place/Diannan/@18.7739262,98.9978817,19z/data=!3m1!4b1!4m5!3m4!1s0x30da31c91b19e56b:0x6cb11ff4d3af0006!8m2!3d18.773906!4d98.9984481

A friend of mine who speaks Chinese says it's authentic home style chinese cooking. The lady who owns it is also the chef. She makes 12 roast ducks every day and they always get sold out. She's also a really nice person who speaks virtually no Thai or English. But her 2 daughters who work there do. Another friendly place.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 4 weeks later...
On 5/15/2022 at 11:26 PM, RamenRaven said:

For authentic Hakka food, go to the Tulou Restaurant at Wualai.

I went there just to try out the special Chinese food... sorry but the food is just bland and very expensive.

The decor is fantastic though. It's more suitable for weddings.

I might as well eat Thai food which is more delicious and much cheaper.

I wonder whether there are any authentic Hong Kong Dimsum in Chiang Mai.

The Dimsum I have tried in CM is not as good.

Edited by EricTh